Start by marking “The First Lady (Hardcover Library Edition)” as Want to Read:
The First Lady (Hardcover Library Edition)

The First Lady (Hardcover Library Edition)

From the world's #1 bestselling writer comes a book that takes politics and mixes it with suspense creating a must-read thriller.

Sally Grissom is a top secret service agent in charge of the Presidential Protection team. She knows that something is amiss when she is summoned to a private meeting with the President and his Chief of Staff without any witnesses. But she could
Published March 12th 2019 by Grand Central Publishing (first published December 13th 2018)

To ask other readers questions about The First Lady, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The First Lady

Matt
Jan 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Finally out for reading...

James Patterson and Brendan DuBois renew their collaborative efforts with a new book full of thrills and political intrigue. As US President Harrison Tucker makes his final push for re-election, he finds himself in an awkward position. Caught leaving an Atlanta hotel with his mistress, Tucker scrambles to save his reputation, but is unable to keep media reports from reaching First Lady Grace Tucker. Understandably upset, the First Lady excuses herself and leaves the Whi
Mandy White
Dec 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A quiet day today and managed to listen to this in one day. A good stand alone atory with an unexpected twist
Paula  Phillips
I have to admit. First I wasn't sure whether I would enjoy this book as I found The President is Missing hard to get into and it ended up being a DNF for me. The First Lady, on the other hand, I did enjoy as I loved the character of Grace Tucker - the first lady. She was strong, stood by her moral code and ethics. She was her person and had a strong sense of what was right and wrong. The President, on the other hand, I found him such a weak man in this book and quite pathetic. Just because he is ...more
Annette Chidzey
Dec 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This fast paced novel co-written by James Patterson and Brendan DuBois was indicative of other Patterson novels I have read in that the key characters were quickly introduced to the reader and their specific roles and circumstances established promptly so that the narrative could rapidly unfold. Having previously read ‘The President is Missing’, I was immediately drawn to this account set as it was in Washington DC, a location I had recently visited. Grace Tuçker, the wife of the American Presid ...more
Kate
Hugely entertaining political thriller, although its writing feels less 'Pattersony', and not as good, as in other Patterson books I've read recently. Nevertheless, I enjoyed every page and gobbled it up. Review to follow shortly on For Winter Nights.
Laura Rash
Meh...
YC
Jan 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun mystery read
Erik
Jan 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An excellent thriller with a lot of twists to keep you guessing. I love anything political so this was a very enjoyable read.
Liz
Jan 09, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I felt this was slower-paced than many of James Patterson’s books and a political thriller rather than a murder/crime story. The plot was good with many twists although I felt it lost momentum in the middle.

3-4 stars
Julie Garner
Dec 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-thriller
Another strong political thriller by JP. Quite a few twists and turns will keep you reading until the end.
Elaine Heading
Gerri
Mar 09, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you follow my reviews you know I gave up on James Patterson long ago; however, was between novels and this one was available at the library so gave it a try. Will admit not nearly as bad as past Patterson books - maybe the addition of Brendan Dubois as co-author helped. I found the read to be ok but incredibly frustrating when it came to details that were way too far-fetched. For instance and to only name a couple…No way a First Lady would go missing in the way she did in a cabin only a few m ...more
Mark Mindel
Mar 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great follow-up to "The President is Missing," (with Bill Clinton). Here, it's the F.L.O.T.U.S. who has been kidnapped, or gone missing, after her husband's affair with a beautiful lobbyist becomes front-page news ("The Ambush in Atlanta"). Told from several points of view: the Secret Service Agent in Charge, Sally; the President, Harrison; his Chief of Staff, Parker; the mistress, Amanda; the First Lady, Grace; and the hired assassin, Marsha (who is SHE working for?). Many, many false leads and ...more
Readerkuna1
Mar 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The First Lady goes missing after she finds out that her husband the President is having an affair.

The Secret service have to find her

Hoyt the Chief of staff is not acting right/

They search a horse farm and at first don't find anything then a finger comes in the mail.

Hoyt wants to FBI to take over the investigation.

Grissom the Secret service is determine to find the FIrst lady

She goes back to the farm.

She finds the First lady and then reports to the President that Hoyt wanted the First Lady kile
Jan 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hmm. It did not feel like the usual James Patterson novels I have read in the past but still, it was quite exciting and fast-paced. I practically read this in one sitting. I was so intrigued I kept flipping the pages instead of stopping as I told myself to do.

I am happy I couldn't guess the whole plot and that it cast doubt in my mind. All in all, I enjoyed the book and the fact that it did not make the female characters stupid but presented all of them as strong women who could hold their own
Devyn Thornton
Jan 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The First Lady by James Patterson has to have been one of my favorite books I have ever read so far. This book left me at the edge of my seat the entire time and had many twists and turns. This book was very different from anything that I have read before, but I really enjoyed this book and would definitely look into more books like this. Before reading this book, I was a really big fan of James Patterson's books, so I already knew that this book was going to be great. 9.5/10 would recommend.
Alison Clifford
Jan 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another good, fast paced thriller. I love that the lead protagonist is a female Secret Service Agent with a position of responsibility - a refreshing change, especially as the book deals with some of life's issues from a female perspective. The story has an excellent complexity to it so the reader is given lots of options as to exactly who is doing what, but not so complex as to confuse. A great read.
Victoria
Very popcorn but enjoyable for that

I must admit I didn't see the twist coming but apart from that this book was quite predictable. Enjoyable for that though

I loved the characters of Grace and Sally how strong and courageous they where almost as much as I despised the sleazy, slimy male characters. Its always a good start when a book makes me feel a lot of emotions and this one definitely did

Nothing earth shattering just a nice, comfortable mystery
Grace
Mar 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fast-moving thriller that comes to a satisfying conclusion. The authors manage to develop characters that are believable and engaging- with the one exception of the President, who seems unable to see what’s in front of him yet is wildly popular and pitches as a much better option that the ‘crazy’ opponent. I read this because I needed an easy read and it was just that. Something not too taxing but with an intriguing plot
Sam D.Turner
Mar 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Very Entertaining Read

One of the best books I have read by James Patterson. Fast paced with many forks in the path to the end. Each twist in the plot leaves the reader wanting more. Reading this on my Kindle was a pleasure despite the lost sleep as I stayed up flipping pages. Characters are richly developed and believable. I wish there would be a follow up to this story; it certainly leaves the possibilities open for exploration.
Adventures with Shelle
I have never read a James Patterson book before but after reading this book I am hooked!
Each chapter is written from a different characters perspective but carries the story on right from where the chapter before it finished. The book had many little twists and turns in the plot and I didn’t have expect the rapid and sudden ending of the story. I enjoyed all the little details and found myself unable to stop reading as I just had to know what happened to the First Lady.

Highly recommended!
Julie
The First Lady was a quick read. The story was almost over from the beginning as the actions of all the major characters were so defined from the opening pages. I am a follower of Patterson but this was a little disappointing. Not easily believable in terms of what a President and the Secret Service would actually do.
John
Mar 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Even though it starts with the obligatory James Patterson bedroom scene, this book spends little time in bedrooms. The concept and premise are novel and well handled. The plot is a little uneven, but easy enough to follow. Female protagonist is refreshing and ending could easily lead to a second book.
Femke
Mar 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gelezen-2019
Een echte Patterson, leest snel weg, heeft een spannend verhaal en een toffe verrassende ontknoping. Heb dit boek in een dag uitgelezen, zoals elke Patterson ongeveer.

Wat ik erg tof vond waren de twee vrouwelijke hoofdpersonen, die niet over zich heen lieten lopen in een politieke omgeving. De president was dan wel weer een eikel, maar dat paste goed in het verhaal.
Veronica Peterson
Love this book

I couldn’t put it down starting reading at 2:00 a.m. finished at 7:30 a.m. Had a sleepless night cause the book was so entertaining I just wanted to hurry and get to the end. I did the same with The President is missing. Mr Patterson stop writing all these good books I need some sleep.😁
Karen Ross
Reliably competent, 'properly' constructed three-act thriller that made me realise that if I have time to read only 60 books a year, then I'm not going to read any more from the Patterson production line.
Debi
Mar 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow. This is the first Patterson/co-writer book that I have really gotten into and enjoyed in FOREVER!! Strong and amazing female characters standing up and taking care of themselves and each other which I really appreciated. Lots of action and the very end is a brilliant case of Karma.
Sheldon
Mar 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow a Patterson, co-author, who can really write a good thriller. The only negative I found is the book ended so only the antagonist can be the focus of another novel. Ah, well, I hope you enjoy this web of thrills as much as I did.
Toni Murphy
Mar 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The First Lady

I was leary of starting this book after I had tried unsuccessfully to read 'The President is Missing',but decided to give it a go. I'm glad I did. Another great Patterson book. Finished it in one night.
Lisa Konet
I hate to give any James Patterson novel a low rating but I just didn't like this. I found boring and predictable. Definitely not a good stand alone.

Waiting desperate for the next in Alex Cross, Private and women's murder c!ub. Smh
  • Someone Knows
  • The Last Second (A Brit in the FBI, #6)
  • Neon Prey (Lucas Davenport, #29)
  • Redemption (Amos Decker, #5)
  • The Big Kahuna (Fox and O'Hare #6)
  • The Wedding Guest (Alex Delaware, #34)
  • The Guy Who Died Twice (Detective D.D. Warren, #9.5)
  • The Bourne Nemesis (Jason Bourne, #15)
  • Connections in Death (In Death, #48)
  • Before She Was Found
  • Dear Wife
  • The Fourth Man (Jack Reacher, #23.5)
  • The Seventh Sun
  • Celtic Empire (Dirk Pitt, #25)
  • A Delicate Touch (Stone Barrington, #48)
  • The Eighth Sister (Charles Jenkins, #1)
  • Elusive Promise (Off The Grid: FBI #4)
  • The Christmas Spirits on Tradd Street  (Tradd Street, #6)
Official US Site
Official UK Site
JIMMY Patterson Books
ReadKiddoRead

James Patterson is the world’s bestselling author and most trusted storyteller. He has created more enduring fictional characters than any other novelist writing today, with his Alex Cross, Michael Bennett, Women’s Murder Club, Private, NYPD Red, Daniel X, Maximum Ride, and Middle School series. He has sold over 380 million books wo