Start by marking “There Was an Old Gator Who Swallowed a Moth” as Want to Read:
There Was an Old Gator Who Swallowed a Moth

There Was an Old Gator Who Swallowed a Moth

When the old gator swallowed a moth, it made him cough. But then he followed up with a crab, ray, pelican, shark, and more. The popular children's rhyme is given the Florida treatment in this book for young readers.
Published January 28th 2019 by Pel

To ask other readers questions about There Was an Old Gator Who Swallowed a Moth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about There Was an Old Gator Who Swallowed a Moth

Teresa
Jan 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
There is a reason why the old poem “There was an old lady who swallowed a fly” is evergreen. It has a fun rhythm and is a hoot to read aloud or read together with a child. Talented poet B.j. Lee gives us a rousing rendition of, and new life to, this poem with Floridian critters. The humorous illustrations by David Opie pair perfectly with the delicious romp of a story.
Vivian Kirkfield
Dec 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What a unique and humorous take-off on the well-known progressive tale, There was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly! I loved it...and so will every kid who reads it or listens to it. Some of the animals mentioned aren't the run of the mill ones we often encounter in stories...which is fabulous because kids will learn a bit about them. And the rhythm is so much fun and the verbs really help us 'see' the great action that is going on: he swallowed a crab that skittered and scuttled and gave him a ja ...more
Lauren Kerstein
This is a fun, delightful book that children and adults will love. The illustrations are exquisite, the pacing perfect, and the repetition lends itself to a read-aloud riot! This book offers a modern-day take to a beloved classic.
Jenna Grodzicki
Feb 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
B.J. Lee takes the classic "There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly" and gives it a fun twist. Set in Florida, the old gator swallows a moth and continues to swallow increasingly larger animals in a misguided attempt to fix his situation. Children will enjoy reading or listening along to the poetic text. David Opie's illustrations add even more humor. This book is a must have for any classroom or library.
Sophia Gholz
Jan 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Author B.J. Lee brings fresh spin to a classic children’s favorite: There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly. This swampy poem is filled with page-turning fun as the action builds from one spread to the next. The playful rhythm and humorous illustrations make this the perfect read aloud for both classrooms and bedtime alike.
Danielle Dufayet
Jan 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Can this book be any funnier? Kids will love the quick pace and mounting action - and the rhymes are very well done! This is the kind of book kids will want to read over and over again...I'm just glad it has a happy ending!
Yevgenia Nayberg
Jan 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A modern witty interpretation of the old rhyme, this book is a delight! The story flows beautifully and the anticipation builds up. Who’s going to be swallowed next- that is the question!
The illustrations are traditional and lively and would surely appeal to kids!
Gayle Krause
Dec 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Pre-Schools and Kindergartens
There was an old story that’s written anew.
I loved reading it aloud and so will you!

Lee’s choice of subject and her delightful rhyming word choices make this parody of a children’s favorite cumulative tale unique. Filled with wonderful alliteration and perfect rhythm, Lee’s writing helps the reader glide right through the verses as easily as the gator slips through the swamp. And Opie’s humorous graphic illustrations just add to the fun.
Elizabeth Steinglass
Dec 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
In this clever take on the Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly, Old Gator who lives in a lagoon in Florida swallows lots of local fauna. The language is wonderful. The story and illustrations are great fun. And while readers are giggling about all the things the silly old Gator has managed to ingest, they will also be getting an introduction to the animals of Florida.
Kourtney LaFavre
Feb 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My children and I enjoyed this rendition of “There was an old lady who swallowed a fly.” My children appreciated the expressive illustrations, and the deluge of the alligator’s contents! As a teacher, I can see this book being a useful addition to classroom libraries for all the learning opportunities that arose during and after reading.
Joyce
Feb 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Laugh out loud funny! Whether or not you and your little one are familiar with the original folk song, you will delight in this classic repetitive story. Gator's exploits from a tiny moth to...well, I don't want to give it away...are hysterical. And David Opie's animated illustrations of the series of swallows are bound to keep any young (and older!) reader captivated. Highly recommend this re-invented classic.
Sherry Howard
Feb 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
THERE WAS AN OLD GATOR WHO SWALLOWED A MOTH is a great read! It’s such a fun read-aloud experience, and would be great in the classroom. If your little one enjoys rhyme and repetition, they’ll love this. If they love animals, they’ll love this. The illustrations are great fun, and beautifully done.
Christine Evans
Feb 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My kids loved this new twist on "There was an old lady who swallowed a fly". B.J Lee's book is perfect for reading aloud and the lively illustrations will entertain a crowd while learning about Florida's wildlife.
Meera Sriram
Jan 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A fun and fresh take on a well loved rhyme, this book keeps us shifting in our seats when an alligator doesn't stop with a moth. Instead, he swallows up a horde of animals that leave him coughing and coughing, until...find out for yourself! Clever and witty in rhyme and plot, this book is an overall delight!
Mirka Hokkanen
Feb 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was so funny. The kids liked the familiar theme, with a new twist, and I really liked that there was a different ending for a change. The illustrations are hilarious too. My kids are ages 5 and 7 and both liked it, and we would recommend it to others.
Julie Abery
Jan 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love sing-able books! There Was an Old Gator Who Swallowed a Moth is a fabulous new take on an old favourite! BJ Lee uses Floridian creatures to bring a breath of fresh air into this rollicking tale! Wonderful to use with Kindergarten and Pre-K classes at story time or Music. BJ's words are paired with hilarious illustrations by David Opie!
Jolene Gutiérrez
Jan 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is such a fun version of the "There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly" story! It's a great way to share rhythm and rhyming with kids, but even more importantly, it's a wonderful way to introduce your young readers to the animals of a Florida lagoon. With a funny resolution that--spoiler alert--results in all animals surviving, young readers will want to read this book again and again.
Natalee Creech
Feb 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Full of Florida animals and clever rhymes, There Was an Old Gator Who Swallowed a Moth is an fun regional take on the well-known cumulative song There Was An Old Woman Who Swallowed a Fly. David Opie’s animals are hilariously expressive. The book provides ample opportunity for classroom tie-ins - check the author’s site for a free teacher guide.
Ashley
Mar 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love this new take on an old classic. The rhythm, rhyme, and the Florida animals makes for a fun and educational read!
Diana Murray
Jan 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Bouncy, clever rhymes make for a fun, Floridian take on this classic cumulative tale. Kids are sure to enjoy the absurdity and the illustrations add to the humor. As a bonus, this book can also serve as an opportunity to discuss animal habitats.
Cassandra Federman
Feb 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great retelling of the old lady who swallowed a fly! It's a really fun read, especially if you are a Floridian :)
Kirsti Call
Mar 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: author
Super fun twist on the classic THERE WAS AN OLD LADY WHO SWALLOWED A FLY. Rollicking rhyming text and whimsical illustrations make this a fun read aloud!
Laura Roettiger
Feb 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
A Florida twist on an old classic. Several new animals make an appearance in this version of an old classic AND in Gator’s belly. The manatee is the best.
Tina Shepardson
Mar 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is such a clever story written by the talented poet, B. J. Lee, taking us on a wonderfully written and illustrated journey of a familiar children's story, yet with all the elements of the Florida habitat. Children, families and educators will have a ball reading this outloud, listening to the poetic rhyme and eyeing enthusiastically David Opie's humorous, sweet, and colorful illustrations. This is a definite must have picture book for ages 0-101!
Carolyn Leiloglou
Feb 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fun new twist on There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly. Florida swampland animals replace the farm critters of the original rhyme. Loved the illustrations, especially the gator.
Linda
From B.J. Lee, an online blogger friend, her debut picture book, a play on that hilarious poem "There Was An Old Lady Who Swallowed A Fly". This time, B.J. travels to Florida (where she lives) and GATORS! Oh my, the rhyming is perfect, and it can't be easy to have rhymes that include crabs and panthers, pelicans and eels. Well, she does manage beautifully, like this small bit about that greedy gator: "He swallowed the crab to grab the moth, I don't know why he swallowed the moth. It made him cou ...more
Tina Hoggatt
Apr 08, 2019 rated it it was ok
The author had me along on the ride for this take off of the old rhyme (and Burl Ives song), There Sas an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly right up until the ending which I felt fell a little flat. Kids will appreciate the cumulative form of the story and the terrific illustrations.
Heather Bell
Jan 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A fun new take on "Swallowed a Fly." The rhymes have entertaining actions that match the unique Floridian wild life. I was born and raised in Miami, and it was really fun to share this with my son and point out all of the unique animals that he doesn't see daily. The illustrations are charming and I love the light humor.
Nancy Mulder