Start by marking “Trees: A Rooted History” as Want to Read:
Trees: A Rooted History

Trees: A Rooted History

Part botany, part history, part cultural anthropology—Treesgoes beyond the basics to tell readers everything they might want to know about this particular branch of the plant kingdom.

Trees explores the important roles trees play in our ecosystem, takes an up-close-and-personal look at the parts of trees (from roots to leaves), and unpacks the cultural impact of trees from
Published April 9th 2019 by Harry N. Abrams (first published June 2018)

To ask other readers questions about Trees, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Trees

Start your review of Trees: A Rooted History
Gintarė Lialienė
Labai graži, išsamiai iliustruota knyga jaunesniems mokinukams, supažindinanti su medžių svarba, įvairove ir simbolika.
KC
May 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Everything about trees!
Michaella Myš  Kamenská
Požičala som si túto knihu Stromy, pretože veľmi rada sedím v parkoch a zasnene pozerám hore na stromy, na listy. Uvedomujem si ako veľmi škodíme stromom, ich koreňom, koľko nám toho dávajú. Táto kniha mi ponúkla ešte viac. Aké stromy poznáme, listy, korene, hmyz čo v nich žije. Od mini po najväčšie, od najmladšie po najstaršie.
Čo znamená strom vo všetkých náboženstvách, zázračné stromy, figovníky, od Robina Hooda, povier, legiend, až po Pána prsteňov a ich rozprávajúcich stromov.
Kniha naozaj
Fantasy  Svet
Nov 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Stromy sú teda prakticky rozdelené na menšie celky, ktoré vás chronologicky prevedú ich svetom. Začnete pri poučke, ktorá vám vysvetlí, čo slovo strom znamená a ako jeho zložitý organizmus funguje. Od stavby sa presuniete k rôznym typom stromov po celom svete (môže sa dokonca stať aj to, že navštívite Malého princa a ním neobľúbené Baobaby). Veľké dvojstránkové ilustrácie so sprievodným textom vám vysvetlia, ako určíte ich vek, kto si rád na nich pochutná, kto v nich rád býva, ale i to, že sa ...more
Sam Campbell
Aug 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read the English translation. A beautiful book which is both tactile and almost alive - the paper pages connecting with the topic - and each double spread full of information and aliveness. Beautiful hand drawn illustrations and pics that would be hard not to appeal to all and almost all ages, and so many interesting facts and information. Seems to connect me to nature, Heritage, people and practises over the years... Large and a beautiful (large) coffee table book to share / escape into.
Bücherglitzer
Jun 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Inhalt:
Welche unterschiedlichen Arten von Bäumen gibt es eigentlich und wodurch unterscheiden sie sich von anderen Gewächsen? Welche Blätter gehören zu welchem Baum und was passiert während der vier Jahreszeiten mit den unterschiedlichen Baumtypen? Wozu sind die Wurzeln gut und wie ernähren sich Bäume? Dies sind einige der typischen Fragen, die sich im Zusammenhang mit Bäumen zunächst einmal stellen und die vermutlichen in den meisten Sachbüchern zu diesem Thema aufgegriffen und beantwortet
Mehsi
Een redelijk boek al vond ik de tekst erg droog geschreven en ik merkte dat ik erg verveeld raakte wat toch jammer is want het is een leuk thema. Gelukkig maakten de illustraties alles weer goed, ik vond de stijl van de tekeningen erg leuk al moet ik zeggen dat de ogen op de dieren hilarisch waren. Dus ja, een boek dat ik vooral zou aanraden vanwege de prachtige platen.
V
Aug 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: t, 2019t
Why we chose this book:
We loved Bees by this team, and were excited to see that a new title was coming out! Abrams Books for Young Readers provided a review copy in exchange for an honest review.

Mom's Review (V)

This is another oversize treasure by a brilliant team, and it truly is a history of trees. Beginning with an explanation of trees, their importance in the ecosystem, and their relationship with humankind, Trees progresses into more specific topics. Readers can move straight through, or
Kirsty
Apr 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An absolutely beautifully illustrated, information packed, fun filled book for all ages.
This book is A3 size, which is great for young kids, but also inviting for the nature loving adult and inside it is packed with a heap of information, about trees (obviously), and how they have been used, how they’re still used, how they grow, how to identify trees, different types of leaves, the seasons, root systems, seeds and the spreading of seeds, different species of trees and where they grow, the
Margie
Aug 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
They are absolute to life on the planet providing much needed oxygen. They supply homes, food, vantage points, and protection for a multitude of beings. Water is necessary for their survival but they in turn protect the land when there is an overabundance of moisture. If we watch, they reflect the status of our weather and of our climate.

Numerous countries around the world at various times during the year set aside a day to celebrate the planting of these plants for the planet. The Arbor Day
Detski Knigi
Jan 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Също както "Пчелите", "Дърветата" (изд. "Дакелче") е с илюстрации на феноменалния полски илюстратор Пьотр Соха и безупречна полиграфия. Текстът този път е на Войчех Грайковски, а пътуването в света на дърветата е просто зашеметяващо.
След като изясняват накратко какво са дърветата и кои растителни видове не спада към тях, автор и илюстратор ни превеждат през устройството им. Отделни табла са посветени на листата, корените и плодовете им.
Ще се срещнете и с някои наистина поразяващи дървета, които
Emma
Aug 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely fascinating book. I loved the informational text and I adored the illustrations - a balance between realism and cartoony that I really appreciated. I like that the book covered so many different aspects trees: leaves and trunks and roots, trees around the world, trees through the seasons, the animals and other organisms that depend on or live symbiotically with trees. Trees as a graphing image for genealogy and evolution. Trees as symbols in religion and mythology. The importance of ...more
Linda
Aug 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
I love trees! And I almost love this book. It's well-written and beautifully illustrated. Trees are shown not only as their biologic and botanic selves, but as art, buildings, historically, as homes for animals...in so many aspects and dimensions.
Why did I not give this lovely book 5 stars? Because the numbering system is SO ANNOYING! The numbers are assigned arbitrarily, from left to right, but when you come upon them in the passages, they're out of order and so annoying to match up. I know it
Κόκκινη  Αλεπού
Μέσα από τις λεπτομερείς, σχεδόν αληθοφανείς απεικονίσεις των δέντρων που δημιούργησε ο Socha γνωρίζουμε δέντρα ψηλά και δέντρα κοντά, δέντρα ενδημικά και εξωτικά, άλλα προϊστορικά. Ενα σαλόνι είναι αφιερωμένο στα εντυπωσιακά μπαομπάμπ κι ένα άλλο στα μικροσκοπικά μπονζάι, ένα μιλά για τους “εχθρούς” των δέντρων κι ένα άλλο για τους κατοίκους τους. Η εγκάρσια τομή της γηραίοτερης σεκόγιας του κόσμου, η οποία όταν κόπηκε το 1900 ήταν ήδη 3.266 ετών, λειτουργεί σαν ένα χρονολόγιο της ιστορίας του ...more
Kitty
Jul 07, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
see ei olnud nii huvitav, kui samade autorite "Mesilased", aga võibolla puudest polegi nii palju huvitavat rääkida kui mesilastest. vähemalt on seekord teksti autor ka koos illustraatoriga kaanele märgitud.

meeldis, et tõlkija oli kenasti lokaliseerinud, asjade hulki ja suurusi võrreldi Keila elanikkonna ja Tallinna pindalaga, mis ju vaevalt originaalis nii oli. ja ma isegi ei teadnud vanasõna "Upin ei sata uibost kavvehe", aga sobis konteksti tõesti paremini kui see käbi ja kännu oma.
Christina Reid
Feb 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely beautiful in every way! This hefty books teaches you everything there is to know about trees, even things you didn't know you didn't know! Stunning illustrations and fun facts make this sure to be a firm favourite for a long time to go. I can't wait to read this to my class when we study trees and plants in the summer term.
Oskar Martinet
May 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Bought for my son (he's only 16 months). I wanted to share my love of the outdoors with him. Not sure how much he gained from the words but he loved the artwork! I loved reading it out loud to him at mealtimes. I hope this becomes a bedtime favorite when he's a bit older. Also bought the similar book, bees.
Katherine Tham
Jan 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read the English version, 'The Book of Bees', with my 3 and 6 year old. We loved it. Informative, beautifully illustrated and fun. We went through the whole book on the first day, then in the following weeks it was brought out again and again.
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
Oversized book, lots of text in very small print - Likely a book kids will pour over together to look at the picture. Because of the size of the text, I would suggest upper elementary though the illustrations will be interesting to younger children too.
Joy
Sep 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: jnonfiction
A visually stunning book filled with interesting information.
Jody Morrow
Jun 26, 2019 marked it as nature
Shelves: have-not-read
Very large sized book - but beautiful illustrations
Rebecca
Jun 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Flipped through for the lovely illustrations by Piotr Socha. This large-format book is a kindred spirit to "Botanicum," except it's focused solely on trees.

Translated from Polish by Anna Burgess.
Molly
Apr 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely beautiful artwork! A great book to read today, Arbor Day. <3
Adam Pluszka
Jun 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Obłędnie piękne i ciekawe.
Adamičková Lucia
Nádherná kniha. Pôvodne som myslela, že ju viac využijú deti, no keď som v nej začala listovať, úplne ma dostala. Prekrásne ilustrácie, hodnotný obsah, aj pre dospelých.
P.
Aug 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: art, nonfic, jfic
beautiful! I admit I skipped some of the non-directly-directly-about-trees pages like the "tree tales" and "lumberjack equipment". trees are so cool.
Jenna Mills
Dec 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Stunning and full of info
Annese
Apr 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Interesting read, but I'm getting old. The font is entirely too small!
kurp
Oct 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Równie dobre jak "Pszczoły".
Carol Merrick
May 09, 2019
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Carl and the Meaning of Life
  • Small in the City
  • Botanicum (Welcome to the Museum)
  • The Important Thing About Margaret Wise Brown
  • Tree in the Trail
  • Camp Tiger
  • My Cat Looks Like My Dad
  • My Papi Has a Motorcycle
  • The School Is Alive! (Eerie Elementary #1)
  • Migration: Incredible Animal Journeys
  • Mia Mayhem Is a Superhero!
  • The Little Guys
  • Why?
  • The Girl Who Drew Butterflies: How Maria Merian's Art Changed Science
  • The Secret of Black Rock
  • Going Down Home with Daddy
  • Once Upon a Goat
  • Helen Oxenbury: A Life in Illustration
Piotr Socha studied at the Academy of Fine Arts in Warsaw, Faculty of Graphic Arts in the Class of Book Illustrations of Professor Janusz Stanny.
He worked as an illustrator for Gazeta Wyborcza, Polityka, Newsweek, Przekrój, Playboy, Wysokie Obcasy, Harvard Business Review, Machina as well as many other newspapers and magazines. For many years, he was the leading graphic illustrator in the monthly