Start by marking “Donald and the Golden Crayon” as Want to Read:
Donald and the Golden Crayon

Donald and the Golden Crayon

Wait till you read this book. Tremendous. It uses all the best words. Probably the greatest book ever. I don’t know. That’s what people tell me. You're going to win so much with this book you may get tired of winning. So much winning. It’s going to be huge. Believe me. Be smart, buy this book. Make picture books great again.
Published September 28th 2018 by Canal Press

Start your review of Donald and the Golden Crayon
Nenia ✨️ The Trash Empress ✨️ Campbell

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

HAROLD AND THE PURPLE CRAYON was one of my favorite children's books growing up, so when I saw a parody version of the book on Netgalley that proposed to be a satirical look at SCROTUS's so-called presidency, I leaped. I mean, look at that cover. It's a fantastic cover, with an official seal and everything. And the author being named "P. Shauers." It's brilliant.

The book is pretty straightforward in terms of what you're going to get. The
Barbara
Sep 15, 2018 rated it really liked it

This parody is based on Harold and the Purple Crayon by Crockett Johnson, a children's book for ages 3 and up.

In the story, Harold has a magic crayon that can create things in the real world. One night, Harold takes a walk and draws up a forest, a dragon, an ocean, a sailboat, a picnic, a hot-air balloon, a city, and more. Finally, Harold draws his own bed and goes to sleep. It's a charming and popular children's book.

*****

In "Donald and the Golden Crayon", President Trump has a magic crayon, a
Lou
Sep 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
'Donald and the Golden Crayon' is a rather humorous adult parody picture book written in the style of children's classic 'Harold and the Purple Crayon' by Crockett Johnson. Make no mistake, this is not a book for kids, it features bad language, bad behaviour and the general buffoonery of the fourty-fifth president of the United States. It is written in Trump's inimitable style and covers many of the major controversies the president has being surrounded by since taking office.

I have always loved
Peacegal
Oct 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
I won this book as a Goodreads Giveaway. It arrived beautifully hardbound and even autographed (in gold marker, natch!)

HAROLD AND THE PURPLE CRAYON has been a beloved mainstay of children's literature for over 50 years. However, what happens when a very familiar-looking little hothead gets hold of a magic crayon that enables him to draw his own world? Look out!

Meticulously illustrated to be reminiscent of the childhood book, DONALD showcases its star's giant ego as he bullies his way through ea
Sep 12, 2018 rated it liked it
We will look back on all this and laugh some day, I hope. In the meantime, here is Herald grown up to be Donald, and his purple crayon has turned to gold, and he has new things he wants to draw before he goes to sleep.

The problem with parodies is they have to be very clever to be super funny, and this one tries, but what it is making fun are the very sad things that Donald is doing in real life, not just with his crayon, so it is hard to actually laugh.

So good effort. Not laugh-out-loud funny, b
Bunny
Sep 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley, read-in-18
HIs room was beautiful, just beautiful. It had beautiful golden curtains, a tremendous golden statue, and a wonderful golden bed. It even had a steamy golden shower.

This is precisely what you think it is. And it is MAGICAL. Little Donnie draws many impressive items with that golden crayon. Even if the person who invented crayons is a loser.

I feel like I've read a large amount of DT satire books recently, and you know, I'm thinking I need way more in the coming months. Let's keep these coming, sh
Katie
Sep 24, 2018 marked it as to-read
Clever, clever, clever! This adult satire of the children's book Harold and the Purple Crayon scathingly "uses the best words" and illustrations to portray Donald and his Golden Crayon. Close examination of the book show several inside jokes and a twist at the end that would be appreciated by viewers of Citizen Kane. I received a free electronic ARC of the book from NetGalley but I am sure it would be even more charming in print.
Kamille
Sep 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Any story that starts out with ‘Covfefe!’ is alright with me.

Hilarious adult picture book! It felt refreshing to laugh bigly at the current politics of my country.
Jeff
Sep 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
What fun! One of my all time favorite children's classic 'Harold and the Purple Crayon' by Crockett Johnson was the model/inspiration and, of course, that orange guy, 45. Told as the Don would tell it-- his attempt at language, that is; this takes us on a journey with 'winner'. Very humorous and cleverly put together with perfect illustrations. Liberals and intelligent people will love this.. MAGA fanatics? ... Not so much.

This book is NOT for children!

I received an ARC from the publisher throug
Eileen
Oct 22, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: r2
3.5 stars I won this book in a Goodreads giveaway. Amusing short book about Donald Trump and his shortcomings (well some of them!) . About the length of a children's book but not meant for children. I wish I could laugh more but this president is wearing on me! The thought that he could be president until 2024 scares the hell out of me.
P. Shauers
Sep 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: great-books
Terrific books. Let me tell you, you'll love it. Great stuff.
Rebekah
Sep 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
A satire about the child that is the president. Would be even funnier if it weren't so accurate and thus depressing. Thank you to Netgalley for a copy in exchange for an honest review.
Amanda [Novel Addiction]
This was funny... but also very, very sad. So true.
Garrett
May 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Hell of a twist ending. And I particularly enjoyed the golden shower scene.
Benjamin Uke
Nov 23, 2018 rated it did not like it
Just.
Why are these things invading my favorite store's bookshelves for a cheap buck?
Do people actually find these things funny? Pre-surgery I mean.
These cheap 'hilarious' political children's books have got to stop.
I don't care if they're for or against this or that, the things are annoying and lazy, full stop.
Jennifer Wrage
Nov 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Note: I won a free copy of this book from goodreads.com.
If you follow the Trump legacy, this book is for you. Very adult in content, so don't put it in with your children's books! It had me laughing/crying out loud. Certainly summarizes this presidency. I have shared it with many people and they have "enjoyed" this quick read also. If it weren't so true, it would be funny.
Morris
Nov 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018-read
I could not stop laughing while reading this one. The story and illustrations are a perfect parody of the children's book. This is a great gift for anyone with liberal leanings, but I wouldn't suggest giving it to anyone you know or love who likes Trump. Unless you want to end a relationship!

This unbiased review is based upon a complimentary copy provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.
Kelsey
Oct 30, 2018 rated it it was ok
I know this is a humor book but it just makes me sad
Jo
Oct 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
HIlarious! I had forgotten about some of the things that Donald has said over the past 24 months. While I am sad that Harold and his purple crayon had to be used in such a manner, it is still humorous to read about Donald's gold crayon. Satire is a lost art, but this book nailed it.
Judith
Oct 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
P Shauers feels much like me when it comes to that lame brain in the White House. In the beginning, I thought I could let my 5 year old grandson read this book, but decided it wasn't time to explain Golden Showers.

Stephen Colbert might enjoy this. He wrote a similar book.
Jenny Houle
Sep 15, 2018 rated it liked it
DONALD AND THE GOLDEN CRAYON is a parody of the award winning book HAROLD AND THE PURPLE CRAYON, with a reminder of all the things our current president is doing wrong.

The book is entertaining, in that it pokes fun at the horrific state of things, and gives a little comic relief to the crappy situation. At the same time, it really didn't do much for me. I'm just getting to a point where every "joke" isn't lessening the blow as much as weakening the fight power, and that feels very dangerous in t
Beth
A sadly amusing little book showing Trump as the spoiled child he is, using his own words and actions. Since this is probably at his reading level, maybe he'll pick up a copy thinking it's a glowing biography and instead be met with honest ridicule!

*Thanks to NetGalley for the ARC, provided by the author and/or the publisher in exchange for an honest review.
Suzze Tiernan
Sep 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Written in the style of Harold and the Purple Crayon, this parody makes fun of some of the things 45 has said and done. This time when you shake your head over them, at least you’ll get a good chuckle.
whataslacker
Oct 09, 2018 rated it liked it
Funny little parody book that dips into all things presidential. It definitely uses all the best words. Children's picture book? No. This one is for adults or should I say mature readers. The illustrations will bring forth memories of Harold and the Purple Crayon.
Andy Angel
Sep 12, 2018 rated it liked it
This made me laugh bigly. An excellent parody of the Donald's time in office so far in the style of a children's storybook. Great illustrations too
ash | novelly rooted
received this book at #alamw2020 -- my husband and i read it together last night. i just don't even know. it's a parody of 'harold and the purple crayon' and he laughed way more than i did and afterwards said we should show his parents. so, yeah.
Paris        (kerbytejas)
Dec 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2018
Very cute parody. It's the best'est book every, it will be yugly successful.
Sharon
Sep 30, 2019 rated it did not like it
Another parody about Donald Trump made to look like a children's picture book. Unnecessary. Unoriginal. and sad. A waste of trees.
Jen
Mar 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
Definitely funny, but not laugh out loud hilarious.
Gayle Slagle
Nov 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Donald and the Golden Crayon by P. Shauers is, in a word, hilarious. It captures the essence of our current President in an insightful and truthful manner; I guess we need to laugh at the antics of Trump in order to survive and this book helps to do that.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Goodnight Trump: A Parody
  • Super Chill: A Year of Living Anxiously
  • How to Read a Book
  • Mobituaries: Great Lives Worth Reliving
  • The Sun Down Motel
  • Strands of Truth
  • Danger Zone (The Elite, #1)
  • Blitzed (Playbook, #3)
  • Whose Boat Is This Boat?: Comments That Don't Help in the Aftermath of a Hurricane
  • The Peppermint Tea Chronicles (44 Scotland Street, #13)
  • Please Don't Grab My P#$$y
  • You Can Only Yell at Me for One Thing at a Time: Rules for Couples
  • The Day It Finally Happens: Alien Contact, Dinosaur Parks, Immortal Humans—and Other Possible Phenomena
  • Why Don't You Write My Eulogy Now So I Can Correct It?: A Mother's Suggestions
  • Fumbled (Playbook, #2)
  • The Rescue (Guardians of Ga'Hoole, #3)
  • The Journey (Guardians of Ga'Hoole, #2)
  • Monster, She Wrote: The Women Who Pioneered Horror and Speculative Fiction
P. Shauers has written and drawn many, many books. Great books. Books you might like. Some of the books were bestsellers. Some got turned into TV shows, as you possibly may have heard. Sometimes he writes, sometimes he draws, both are tremendous. Believe me. Highly respected.

News & Interviews

Award-winning journalist Maria Hinojosa’s highly anticipated new book, Once I Was You: A Memoir of Love and Hate in a Torn America, arrives...