Start by marking “Grave Importance (Dr. Greta Helsing #3)” as Want to Read:
Grave Importance (Dr. Greta Helsing #3)

Grave Importance

(Dr. Greta Helsing #3)

A charmingly witty fantasy adventure in the world of Strange Practice, starring Dr. Greta Helsing, doctor to the undead, who must solve a dangerous medical mystery at a secret French spa for mummies.

Oasis Natrun: a private, exclusive, highly secret luxury health spa for mummies, high in the hills above Marseille, equipped with the very latest in therapeutic innovations bot
Published September 24th 2019 by Orbit

To ask other readers questions about Grave Importance, please sign up.
Anna Wick on the website it's listed as The Greta Helsing Trilogy. This is disappointing since the characters and the world is so fantastic. I hope there will b…moreon the website it's listed as The Greta Helsing Trilogy. This is disappointing since the characters and the world is so fantastic. I hope there will be more(less)

Start your review of Grave Importance (Dr. Greta Helsing #3)
K.J. Charles
Absolutely delightful third, and I suppose last, instalment of this series. It's a lovely read--reminiscent in with and kindness of T Kingfisher and Terry Pratchett. The fantasy is great, going to completely mad places with gleeful logic, and there are some utterly delightful romances (mostly queer) going on as well. You definitely need to read at least book 2 to enjoy this aspect properly, it's a big lovely wallow. This is necessary because the fantasy plot becomes really quite stressful, not t ...more
Lauren Stoolfire
Thanks to the Goodreads Giveaway program for this ARC!

I love this series so much and Grave Importance is hands down the best installment. I just wasn't ready for the trilogy to end here. Shaw's style is brilliant and I truly became invested in Greta, Ruthven, Varney, and Fastitocalon. I hope we get to see more of them again in the future - perhaps a spinoff of some kind. I highly recommend this series to fans of Good Omens by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman and Supernatural. I can't wait to see
Mogsy (MMOGC)
4 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum https://bibliosanctum.com/2019/09/28/...

I realize the Dr. Greta Helsing series might be a bit of an acquired taste, but if you’ve stayed with it for this long, then you’ll know the kind of strange and wonderful treat you’re in for in Grave Importance. A mix of the new and old, the modern and the classic, the funny and the dark, this novel delivered everything I loved about the first two books and featured an ending that capped the trilogy off nicely.

Once more, r
Jennifer Ozawa
I felt...meh about this one. For some reason, the purple prose annoyed me this time and the descriptions of Greta going about her day felt rote and tired. I waited for this book to come out because I loved the first two so much and I hate that I didn’t love it as much as I expected I would.
Lata
Jan 13, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like this world, and Greta. This time, it’s seriously ill mummies, a mysterious and beautiful pair of individuals up to something, and a woman with an incredible collection of ancient Egyptian articles. That all come together to imperil the world and our reality. Things are bad, and they keep getting worse over the story and the gang have to work together to save each other and everything else. And Greta gets to go somewhere really unexpected.
The trilogy wraps up, mostly in a satisfying manner
Jackie
Aug 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: giveaways
Greta Helsing has been invited to be an interim medical director of Oasis Natrun, an exclusive medical facility and spa for mummies, located in Marseille, France. Although her relationship with Varney is relatively new, Greta jumps at the chance, eager to work at such an advanced clinic. However, things aren’t so simple; shortly after Greta arrives, she realizes there’s something going wrong with the mummy population. In Italy, Ruthven and Grisaille are on holiday when two strange individuals ca ...more
Kristin B. Bodreau
Dec 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
This third installment in the Dr. Greta Helsing series was more cohesive than the second. It did however still suffer from some technical issues.

I’ll start with the not so great:

Plot: A lot all over the place. We go from some issues with a few mummies, to angels from an alternate universe that somehow have something to do with a vain millionaire and end up in Hell on the cusp of Armageddon. (I suppose these are somewhat spoilers, but really, figuring out how you get from one to the other withou
Angie
Sep 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Genuinely crushed that this is the end of the Greta Helsing series. Desperately hope Shaw starts another in the same world; this stellar world-building is far too great to not see more of.
Lena
Oct 03, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: audio, vampire
Well... that was messy. I have enjoyed the urban gothic monster vibe of the series but this episode was celestial and cartoonish.

I had been hoping for more Alceste St. Germain and got an insufferable amount of Grisaille.

Hopefully this was a hiccup and this series is not a failing vector.

Sigh, at least I learned about the lovely Regard Ring...
311EC138-FCB0-4811-BC5E-AAB7BCEB0C57.jpg
Stephanie
May 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: f-sf-for-adults
I just love the kindness and fun and compassion in this series, along with the repeated emphases on redemption and found families. A couple of small details in the climax of the book didn't quite work for me, but I still thoroughly enjoyed the characters and the story as a whole, all the mummies were fabulous, and I can't wait to read whatever Vivian Shaw writes next.
Karen Wellsbury
Nov 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great ending for a great series, the series as a whole is a total 5 star read for me.

The plot here was wonderful, the mummies, the romance with Greta and Varney , and that with Ruthven and Grisaille are charming, the latter more intense in this book.

Book 2 I felt was the strongest, there were a couple of points in this book where I lost the plot, not because of the writing which is superb, but because of where the story went. I think that this is particular to me though.

I can't recommend this s
Mandy
Dec 11, 2019 rated it it was ok
2.5?
I loved the first two books so it’s especially disappointing that this one went so downhill.
It started off promising with Greta going off to a specialty clinic that exclusively treats mummies.
One of the things I enjoyed most about the first two books was how fascinating it was to have a human doctor treat monster patients and their various ailments.
Unfortunately a good chunk of it got very complicated with how some of the mummies were being treated medically and most of it went completel
Crayshack
Sep 30, 2019 rated it liked it
I really enjoyed the first two books, but this book seems to be a bit disconnected from those. The scope of the danger present is leaps and bounds beyond the first two and even within this book it feels like it takes a massive jump in the third act.

The early part of the book focused heavily on the Doctor part of the main character which I very much enjoyed. However, the climax and what is eventually revealed to be the main plot makes everything else seem inconsequential. I think it serves to ju
Hilary
Aug 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned, kindle
Vivian Shaw’s novels are of the slow-burn variety. Her language is rich, her dialogue complex, and her characters distinct, but I think the defining characteristic of her books is the slow unfolding of the plots. They start small, but you know they’ll expand, and when they do they open like a flower, with ideas spiraling outward and people moving with them, then everything furling together at the last. It’s quite magnificent, but can make for a meditative-paced read. This one had intense and ove ...more
Imogene
High marks for world building, reduced for my least favourite writing trope at the end. Sigh
Nicky
May 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, vampires
Grave Importance is the final book of this trilogy, in which Greta Helsing finds herself invited to become the interim medical director of an exclusive facility in France: Oasis Natrun, the spa-and-clinic location for a particularly exclusive sort of customer... mummies! She needs to deal with delicate operations, treat ancient TB infections, and deal with pesky infestations in somebody's mummy wrappings. Oh, and her patients are frequently experiencing a weird draining, something that makes the ...more
Mkb
Jan 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
This series is charming and well written! (I even learned some new words! Phatic! Sotoma!) Our girl Dr. Greta Helsing is working to save reanimated mummies from a mysterious ailment. Most books with ghouls, banshees, witches, monsters, demons and vampires don’t have such a warm heart. Friendship, love, kindness, good intentions, and taking your responsibilities seriously are at the centre of our characters. Of course there is also lots of mystery and mayhem too! Good times!
Suz
Oct 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love this series. I'm quite sure it's Ms. Shaw's narrative voice as much as it is the characters and the world.

I hope this series will continue. I will certainly read it if it does.
Jess
Feb 25, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this trilogy. I thought the story was a wild ride and I love a good book with mummies. We need more of those.
Bee
Oct 06, 2019 rated it liked it
When I got to the end and discovered that the author is a prolific fanfic writer I was like, "ah, there you go," because if there's an overarching thought I have about this book, it's that it reads a lot like fanfic, in both good and bad ways. The good: loving dedication to well-rounded characters (many of them queer and/or POC) and focus on relationships. The bad: the plot and world-building got buried under a metric ton of relationship stuff. This may not have bothered me if I had actually bee ...more
Debbie
Oct 27, 2019 rated it it was ok
Two stars is perfect for this - I enjoyed the first two books in the series but found this one hard to stick with. I found at the end I was just skimming the pages to finish it.
Terzah Horton
Oct 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
First, I want to say that I really enjoyed this trilogy. Being a physician, it was great to read bout the interactions between Greta and her undead patients. Several of the former patients are now main characters and I really enjoyed the interactions between Greta and Barney, Ruthven and Grisaille and Vastitocalan and Sam (and Faust). They all made a great team and worked together to fight a common adversary. There are also two new angel characters that I thought were both hilarious and touching ...more
Sharkie
Feb 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Sammm
3.5~4. I liked it alright, especially the ending; seriously, that's the kind of ending I want for every book! However, I just think the main story arc feels quite ordinary, before the crisis was revealed, anyways, speaking of which, said major crisis kinda feel like a separate thing and out of nowhere, even though it technically started off right from the beginning but we were just then led to focus on what our main gal was working on. In short, I feel like it could be two good stories, but the ...more
Ziggy Nixon
Sep 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Sir Terry Pratchett fans
An averaged 4 star rating (parts were better than this, parts less so). While overall slightly not as strong as either of the first two 'Dr. Greta Helsing' books, "Grave Importance" does indeed thoroughly entertain and draw us into this amazing world that Vivian Shaw has created.

Shaw's writing skills continue to be as fluid and, for lack of a better word, caring as we've seen previously. I've said it before and I'll repeat my compliment here: no one since Sir Terry Pratchett has dealt with this
Heatherinblack
Sep 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great mystery, thread merging.

The two different threads coming together were very well done. They mixed well with the overall “plan”. The little things that caused the big thing (trying not to give anything away) seemed too little. Perhaps there were other little things that built up, we just didn’t meet those people. The parallel universes was odd in a theological sense. The romance seemed unnecessary. It didn’t seem to enable anything. Perhaps, that is just what you do though.
Soukyan Blackwood
Jan 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
all reviews in one place:
night mode reading
;
skaitom nakties rezimu

Characters are just absolutely wonderful and lovable, and thus will be very greatly missed now that the great tale of infernal adventures have ended. The story itself is good too, very fitting lazy reading, taking it on a slower pace than it is told, which again makes me sad, for I don't have another book like this I could take my time with.

A masterful piece. Strong 5 out of 5 and then some.
Josie Jaffrey
Feb 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book, but not as much as the previous instalment. It was a bit of a mixed bag. Sections of it were utterly page-turning, but others felt repetitive and slow, and the ending was like Lord of the Rings - it went on forever. I’m also not much into the heaven and angels thing, so much of the storyline wasn’t to my taste. I loved the mummies, though! There was still plenty to enjoy here.
JPerceval
Feb 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
What a great ride this trilogy has been! I really enjoyed Greta's world, and will miss hanging out with the misfit supernaturals.

Grave Importance had the feeling of an Ending, which is unusual in Booklandia where sequels can go on forever (some beneficial, some detrimental). I give Vivian Shaw credit for leaving me wanting more - and if she ever gives Greta more. I'll be there to read about it.
Marina
Oct 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-star, own-audio
I listened to this as an audio book.

I have enjoyed this whole series in audio and enjoyed the narrator a lot. The story and the mythology that the author creates are fantastic. It's a fresh take and the story is unique.

I do wish there were more female characters in main roles, but at least there were more of them as secondary characters in important roles.

I hope the story will continue.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Please correct page number 4 227 Oct 23, 2019 12:02PM

• The Sinister Mystery of the Mesmerizing Girl (The Extraordinary Adventures of the Athena Club, #3)
  • The Secret Chapter (The Invisible Library, #6)
  • False Value (Rivers of London, #8)
  • The Fox's Curse (Crow Investigations, #3)
  • The Night Raven (Crow Investigations #1)
  • The Silver Mark (Crow Investigations, #2)
  • European Travel for the Monstrous Gentlewoman (The Extraordinary Adventures of the Athena Club, #2)
  • The Last Smile in Sunder City (The Fetch Phillips Archives, #1)
  • Doing Time (The Time Police #1)
  • The Library of the Unwritten (Hell's Library #1)
  • Imaginary Numbers (InCryptid, #9)
  • A Murderous Relation (Veronica Speedwell, #5)
  • Paladin's Grace
  • Tales from the Folly: A Rivers of London Short Story Collection
  • Reticence (Custard Protocol, #4)
  • The Lights Go Out in Lychford (Lychford, #4)
  • The Strange Case of the Alchemist's Daughter (The Extraordinary Adventures of the Athena Club, #1)
  • Plan for the Worst (The Chronicles of St Mary's, #11)

Dr. Greta Helsing (3 books)
  • Strange Practice (Dr. Greta Helsing, #1)
  • Dreadful Company (Dr. Greta Helsing, #2)