Start by marking “It's Not About the Burqa” as Want to Read:
It's Not About the Burqa

It's Not About the Burqa

When was the last time you heard a Muslim woman speak for herself without a filter?
In 2016, Mariam Khan read that David Cameron had linked the radicalization of Muslim men to the ‘traditional submissiveness’ of Muslim women. Mariam felt pretty sure she didn’t know a single Muslim woman who would describe herself that way. Why was she hearing about Muslim women from people
Published April 1st 2020 by Picador (first published February 21st 2019)

To ask other readers questions about It's Not About the Burqa, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about It's Not About the Burqa

Start your review of It's Not About the Burqa
Gail (The Knight Reader)
Actual Grade: 4.5/5

I delayed writing my review, to allow my thoughts to marinate for a few days, before finally putting pen to paper (or fingers to keyboard). My only hope being that my appraisal of this anthology can somehow translate raising awareness and more importantly interest in a book I feel should be read by all.

I admit non-fiction is not my usual cup of tea, this book however joins my ever-growing list that gives me cause to reconsider that stance. The audacious title: It’s Not About t
Vivek Tejuja
Apr 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Since time immemorial, women have been taught to be silent, or forced into silence, or submission. We have been following that for centuries now, maybe earlier than that. Women are seen or heard through a filter, and for what it's worth it is 2019 and we should be done with all filters. It's Not About The Burqa - an anthology of Muslim Women by Muslim Women does just that. It is about voices unfiltered - bare and open, waiting to be heard.

The idea of the anthology occurred to Mariam Khan when in
Joanne Harris
Deeply intelligent, thought-provoking collection of essays on a variety of topics, by Muslim women of all backgrounds and traditions: an absolute must for anyone seeking to deepen their understanding.
Inderjit Sanghera
Aug 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Khan is able to collect the stories of various female Muslim writers who cover a variety of topics; from race, to sexuality, to fashion and the media, the common thread which runs through all of them is the perception-or lack of-of Muslim women in modern Britain. Frequently marginalised, perpetually fetishized, forever seen via the narrow prism of their burqa, alternatively used as the stick with which to beat Muslim men for their perceived innate misogyny or for their lack of integration, we ar ...more
Puck
“Contrary to what we are represented with, there is not one type of Muslim woman.”

Important, powerful, and humbling: this collection of essays shook me awake with every lesson that it taught me. “It’s Not about The Burqa” tells the stories and arguments of Muslim women who are so much more than the hijab they wear. It is high time the world starts to listen.

Although there are some references to English politics, the situations described by these authors are universal. Which (queer) person d
Zubs Malik
May 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
It's Not About The Burqa is an anthology of poignant, thought-provoking essays by Muslim women who have fallen prey to racism, misogyny and homophobia. I had already started reading this book on my kindle at the start of Ramadhan. These stories are nuanced and passionate and compelling. With a cast of strong women to deliver such a powerful punch this book deserved to be placed on my shelf right next to Girl, Woman, Other. If you know me, you know what a praise this is.

I cannot explain my anger
Kamila Kunda
Jun 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
If I am tired of how Muslim women are often perceived by non-Muslims, presented in the media and how much their identity is reduced to clichés, I can’t even begin to image how exhausted Muslim women must feel. “It’s Not About the Burqa”, a collection of phenomenal essays by 17 contributors, British Muslim women, offers thoughts on an array of aspects of a female Muslim identity. The authors - intelligent, inquisitive, sharp, sensitive and strong women - write about sexuality and sexual education ...more
Nadia
Feb 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A full review can be found on my blog, Headscarves and Hardbacks!

Thank you to the publisher for providing me with a copy in exchange for an honest review!

“Every essay in this book is unfinished, because each one is the beginning of a very necessary conversation.”

This is one of the best anthologies I’ve ever read and a much-needed collection of essays from Muslim women on a diverse range of topics including faith, feminism, sexuality and race. Every voice and topic is incredibly distinctive a
Kate (GirlReading)
Sep 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
A superb and much needed collection of essays written by Muslim women as they deep dive into a range of topics including but not limited to race, sexuality, faith, marriage, gender, mental health and the need for feminism to be intersectional.

Each essay is written beautifully, giving new and diverse insight into what it means to be a Muslim woman and perfectly portraying how no one person’s experience can sum up the experiences of all.

A true must read and the audiobook, with the majority of es
Saajid Hosein
Sep 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
just read it
Katie
It would feel disingenuous in me to give this book anything other than five stars, mainly because I don't feel it's right to judge how people write about their lived experience. This is a book that I learned things from, that made me address misconceptions that I had about Muslim women. I think this book should be widely read, so that everyone can be faced with their incorrect assumptions, and hopefully adjust their views accordingly.

Khan and her contributors highlight the vastly different ways
Nada Hosny
Jun 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
4.75 STARS
It's not about the Burqa is a book that includes a collection of essays by 17 women. muslims women from all around the world, mostly living in the UK.

They talk about their experience of living as a muslim woman in a non-muslim country, some talk about feminism:, some talk about masculinity:, others talk about love, marriage, divorce, sex, technically: everything on our mind.

some wrote it like an essay while talking to an audiance about a particular issue, others wrote it like story,  a
Hiba Arrame
I read this as part of my O.W.L.s readathon, Charms subject, a book with a white cover.
Sara
Jan 15, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I got into this book because of Mona Eltahawy’s writing and she did not disappoint. That’s literally the only thing that didn’t disappoint about this book. I love her militant, non-apologetic feminism and her unabashed criticism of the religion that’s patriarchal in its core. I think this book suffers from a severe case of what Ali Rizvi (His book The Atheist Muslim is a superb read) calls Islamophobophobia. I understand choices and people’s need to make their own but I also understand whitewash ...more
London Shah
Feb 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Marked as 'Read' but I am in fact still reading this absolute gem of a book. I just really need everyone to hear how brilliant and utterly important it is.

I started reading this beauty the other day and oof...♥️♥️♥️ The always insightful and knowledgeable Mariam Khan really has outdone herself with this remarkable collection of essays penned by British and international Muslim women. Her fierce intro alone is exactly the rallying cry we want and need to hear.

Coco Khan’s essay (the only one I've
Angela Groves
Feb 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
I think in times like these, where fear, hate and misunderstanding is shoved down our throats everywhere we look, this collection of essays is an important, must read for everyone. It brings together the views and experiences of a variety of muslim women, in regards to their faith and how it relates to every aspect of being a woman. From their clothes to their sexual identity. In a world full of white middle aged men telling us how they are mistreated and opressed. This excellent collection of e ...more
Victoria Ray
Jun 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Absolute gem! Brilliant, modern and very important book, not only for muslim women, but for all of us (& especially those authors who are writing about women). #mustread ...more
Basma
I have very strong feelings about this book. If I would rate this book based on it's impact, I would give it a 5, as the essays that left an imprint far outweigh the ones I felt a bit shaky about. But there were bits and pieces that I didn't agree or jam with and made me waver between 3 or 4 stars, so 4 seems like a good middle ground.

This is a very personal book to me on so many levels. I won't get into all the aspects but it hit home and younger me would have really appreciated reading this an
Jessica
Apr 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019-favorites
We are not asking for permission any more. We are taking up space. We've listened to a lot of people talking about who Muslim women are without actually hearing Muslim women. So now, we are speaking. And now, it's your turn to listen.

It’s Not About the Burqa was one of my most anticipated reads of the year, and it did not disappoint. One idea that comes up again and again in this anthology of essays by Muslim British women is the idea of superficial representation. Muslim women are being embrace
Taryn
Apr 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
For too long Muslim women have been spoken over and left out of conversations where they should be at the centre. The aim of this collection of essays is to give that voice back to Muslim women to speak about their experiences.

It's Not About the Burqa features 17 essays from a diverse group of Muslim women, covering a wide array of topics including hijabs, wavering faith, representation in media, queer identity, marriage and divorce, mental health and sex. These women discuss the pressure they f
Jessikah Hope
Apr 14, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, 2019
This is another example of a book I want only to cheer on because it taught me a lot and highlighted so many important things (seriously I went through this with an actual highlighter). However, like many essay collections, it became repetitive and while around half of these essays were flat out amazing, others I felt were lacking by comparison. This is one I'm still gathering thoughts on but would definitely recommend.
Esther King
Jun 21, 2020 rated it liked it
Please note this is a 3.5.

This book was an interesting insight into the cultural and social implications of the lack of own voices material that we see from Muslim women, and it provides an interesting gamut of texts from many different women who give their perspectives on life, love, faith, divorce, and a whole plethora of other things. I think perhaps the most frustrating aspect of the whole book is that it could have been so, so much longer, and incorporated a lot more women from many more w
Neelam
Mar 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
As soon as I first heard about this anthology being published, I knew I had to buy it as soon as it released. A book that is written by Muslim women about their experiences? Yup I need it! Just reading the introduction had me hooked!

It’s not about the burqa brings together Muslim women’s voices. It does not represent the experiences of every Muslim woman or claim to cover every single issue faced by Muslim women.

"It’s not possible to create that book. But this book is a start, a movement: we Mu
Iqra M.
Sep 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
[ Review revised on 3/10/2019 - Original review posted on 19/9/2019]

I've read many anthologies this year. All three of them are fertile with discussion as they tackle taboo topics and heavy subject matter.

I loved the fact that the chapters or essays are short. They were meant to be incomplete because 'It's Not About The Burqa' aims to start a necessary conversation. The book did spark new ideas that I was open to devour, and hopefully, many more of you will too. It also leaves plenty of room f
MRIDULA
Jun 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
A series of essays by British Muslim women to the ‘white’ men who like to set the tome of the narrative and see Islamic traditions as either a way to make money or make controversy, ‘It’s Not About the Burqa’ is a way of getting the world acquainted to what Islam actually stands for.

These essays cover multiple topics such as women’s right to divorce, what it means to be a ‘Black’ Muslim, the impact of stories from the Quran, the misconceptions rooted deep in the society about mental health, sexu
Gianni Reiza Maulania
It’s Not About The Burqa, edited by Mariam Khan. Picador, 2019.
“They don’t know the rights feminism has granted them, Muslim women had the from the beginning of Islam: woman like me had the right to vote, to own property and wealth, the right to an education, and the right to work centuries before western feminism jump into action.” –page 110.
“…Islam makes it that easy. It was culture and its contradictions that made my life complicated.” –page 164.

Recently I was reading a book about a life of a
Erika
Jun 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
If the extent of your knowledge about Islam consists of fundamentalists on the news or abusive husbands doing really scary things in novels, this collection of essays will be an eye-opener!
I walked away from this book with a new appreciation of the dangers of confusing culture with religion, as well as the ways that White Feminism fails Muslim women and women of color in general.
Each essay focuses on a different issue facing modern Muslim women, but even as a non-muslim, I related to some part
Fathima (books_andstories_)
There is not a single time where muslim women were dragged into spotlight without pointing out at her hijab. If they are to be identified, they are first talked about what kind of clothes they are wearing or having wrapped their heads with hijab or not. yes, they are constantly 'talked about' but not really invited in the conversation. I don't know why media is so obsessed with a piece of cloth they have nothing to do with.
This book is written exactly to break that stereotype. To tell the worl
Hatoon
Jan 18, 2020 rated it it was ok
Overall, I just couldn't like this book. As it is a collection of essays written by different people, some essays were really good (The first feminist, Feminism needs to die, A woman of substance, and On Representation of Muslims in particular), and I really admired some of the authors, but I can't deny that the essays I did not like blinded my overall judgement.

Some essays in this book showed how much their writers lack proper knowledge about some of the basic provisions of Islam, which made ar
Faroukh Naseem
Dec 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
“No one woman can speak for all Muslim Women - for that rich and varied tapestry of experiences, practice, belief and ways of being” - Nadine Aisha Jassat
#theguywiththebookreview presents It’s Not About The Burqa
The quote above from Nadine came on the last page of the book and I think it reaffirms my original decision to not review this book the way I usually try to critically (although amateurly) look at the contents.
17 Muslim women from a wide range of backgrounds share their thoughts about

• My Past Is a Foreign Country
  • Queer Intentions: A (Personal) Journey Through LGBTQ + Culture
  • Unicorn: The Memoir of a Muslim Drag Queen
  • The Good Immigrant
  • Girl, Woman, Other
  • "Kill The Black One First"
  • "I Will Not Be Erased": Our stories about growing up as people of colour
  • Postcolonial Banter
  • Why I'm No Longer Talking to White People About Race
  • Happy Fat: Taking Up Space in a World That Wants to Shrink You
  • Let Me Tell You This
Mariam Khan is an intersectional feminist, diversity-in-books pusher and freelance writer. She is the editor of It’s Not About the Burqa, an anthology of essays by Muslim women.

News & Interviews

“Mine is a single person's lived experiences. An experience full of contradictions, imperfections and incongruities, but my lived experience nonetheless. Part of the journey, for me, is owning the inconsistencies in myself and my stories- we cannot change past perceptions, but we can certainly reflect on them, own them, and commit to growing from them. We must cultivate compassion for our past selves, trusting that we did the best we could at the time, while simultaneously striving to do better” 2 likes
“things were a lot easier when I wasn’t woke. Or perhaps they were easier because I wasn’t woke.” 1 likes