Start by marking “The Reunion” as Want to Read:
The Reunion

The Reunion

An elite prep school frozen in the snow
Three friends linked by a tragic secret
One girl taken by the night

The French Riviera – 25 years ago
One freezing night, as her campus is paralyzed by a snowstorm, 19-year-old Vinca Rockwell, the most beautiful and glamorous girl at her prep school, runs away with her philosophy teacher, with whom she has been conducting a secret
Published July 9th 2019 by Little, Brown and Company (first published April 24th 2018)

To ask other readers questions about The Reunion, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Lisa
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Start your review of The Reunion
SueLucie
Jun 16, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
I was expecting more from this, especially as it would appear to be such a big hit in France. I expected something more ‘noir’ in the Gallic tradition but found it a tad pedestrian. The writing especially - too much name dropping of designer labels, artists, musicians, authors, too little real life and too few engaging characters - and a clunkiness to it that made me cringe at times. Beyond her mesmerising self-possession and physical grace, I couldn’t see the attraction Vinca had for ...more
Liz Barnsley
Jun 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An intriguing past present novel with a school at its centre which always appeals to me, I read this fast, engaged with the characters and setting and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Full review to follow for the tour.

Recommended.
Melissa
I love Guillaume Musso's books so much, that when I saw that he was publishing one in the US, I jumped on it! Only, I didn't know that it was a translation, I thought it was an original one, written in English. I read both in English and French, so I was afraid that I'd already read it, but no! Pfew!

I really loved it. It spins, and turns, and spins again. You can guess until the very last chapter what everything really is (and still, you think you got it, but... you don't.) It is an awesomely
Eva
Jun 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
School reunions. Personally, I’ve never attended one because I’ve never quite understood the appeal of them. But Thomas has little choice in the matter. During the reunion, the school is set to announce plans for a new gymnasium and Thomas, Maxime and Fanny, who haven’t seen each other in 25 years, know they must go back to school one more time. Because there is a body in the walls, and they put it there.

How is that for a premise? I couldn’t have been more intrigued if I tried. It’s also an
MarjorieBrd
Oct 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
god, Musso always does this to me.
Every single time, you start reading one of his books and you're like "yeah, not bad" and them bAM, there, here is 7 plot twists in a row for you, enjoy.

"Le mâle blanc dominant, version gros beauf, qui n'avait pas compris que son monde avait déjà sombré." mh yes, this is the kind of tea i ordered, thanks.

On the other hand, Thomas being "relieved" that Vinca is dating someone that was manipulating and raping her and that this means that "she still cares about
Susan
Jun 25, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
To be honest, I found this something of a disappointment. Set in 2017, with flashbacks to 1992, the story concerns four friends, who haven’t spoken for twenty five years - Thomas, Maxime, Fanny and the attractive, alluring Vinca.

In 2017 there is a reunion at the school the friends attended. Thomas, now living in the States, receives an email from Maxime and finds himself revisiting both his old haunts, and his past. For the reunion is fraught with danger, as hidden secrets could be revealed.
Dash fan
4 Dark, Twisty, Suspenseful Thriller!

THE REUNION is a twisty, suspense thriller.

How many of us would consider going to a school reunion?
I know I certainly wouldn't.
But what if...you didn't attend the reunion, it could spell disaster?

Well that's what happens to Thomas, Maxine and Fanny.
You see they are about to pull down their old school Gymnasium, but these walls have secrets hidden inside them, and they sure as hell don't want them getting out!
But is it all a little too late?!

THE REUNION is a
Maine Colonial
Are you willing to suspend your disbelief? I mean really, REALLY do it? If you are, then you may well enjoy this French thriller set in Antibes on France’s Cote d’Azur.

Most of the story is told in the first person by Thomas, a wildly successful potboiler writer who is based in New York, having left his Antibes home 25 years earlier. In the present day, he’s back home, ostensibly to go to a reunion at his international high school in Antibes, but in fact because of events from his days at the
Megan
An enjoyable mystery that kind of fizzled out with the ending of the book.

I mean, sure, a lot of people are probably going to be like 'Wow! Did not see that coming,' but for me, it felt a little messy and a bit like Oprah - 'You get to be involved in the crime! And you get to be involved in the crime!' So many things just got a bit too tangled up for my liking, so while I did enjoy this one, I also came away from it thinking 'What the hell did I just read?'
Maureen Grigsby
Jun 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this twisty murder mystery that takes place in France. One of those novels where you suspect every character at some point, but the author is always one step ahead of the reader!
Kelly Van Damme
Jun 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Meet Thomas. He’s a novelist and a rather popular one at that, but his numerous fans don’t know about the demons he has been fighting since 1992, the secrets he has been hiding. Truth be told, I never really bonded with Thomas, but I found him to be an interesting protagonist nonetheless. In 1992 he had the biggest crush on Vinca, but unfortunately for him, he wasn’t alone in that. And then she disappeared and he’s been wondering what happened to her ever since. Thomas has been away from home ...more
Ivi
I loved it :) 3 stars
Iva
Feb 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: crime fiction lovers, people in search of something different French lovers
Recommended to Iva by: Marija Raevska
Shelves: kindle, ebooks, predizvik
Great, interesting and gripping book Longer review when I gather my thoughts a bit...
Thebooktrail
description

See the locations in the novel

Most of us have secrets buried back in our school days but none of us (hopefully) have actually secrets buried in the school yard. A whole body of a secret to be fair.

The story starts in 1992 with Vinca and Thomas who are both at the school where everything is going to start getting very dark indeed. Vinca tells him she’s been raped and that she is pregnant. However, before long the boy in question is dead. Where to bury the body? And what about Vinca? Where is she
Shanna Davis
Aug 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Stunning. This is an exquisite novel. The layers, the misdirection, the emotions of the characters, the unfolding of the truth- I actually gasped aloud at one point. Musso is the number one author in France, and it is deserved. The Reunion is one of my favorite books of the year.
Dhimitrula
Nov 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just excellent one!
Susan Hampson
Jul 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
The events of 25 years ago are going to come crumbling down around three former graduates at the reunion to celebrate part of the old uni building being knocked down and the erection of a new replacement. Manon, Thomas, and Maxine know all too well that inside the soon to be demolished Gym wall there is the body of one of their teachers, who had been thought to have run off with a student that went missing the same night. The night had left so many unanswered questions and with this being the ...more
Karen Barber
Jul 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
25 years after leaving, our narrator - a celebrated writer - is called back to his school for a reunion. This could be an invite to ignore, but for the fact that Thomas knows this event could change his life because of something that happened years earlier.
The story is told in a rather chaotic fashion, jumping from time and narrative focus, but this actually allows us to pick up (albeit unwittingly) all manner of details to help piece together what may or may not have happened.
At its heart this
Linda Harris
Sep 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is called " The reunion " in English and have to say I thoroughly enjoyed it . Lots of twists and turns. Writing is very descriptive. I hope another of this authors book are translated soon
Anissa
Good mystery that had some interesting turns. It wasn't quite the story I thought it was going to be and I enjoyed that. Gorgeous cover. Full review to come.
Joanne Robertson
Jul 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have to admit to having never heard of Guillaume Musso until The Reunion, but I can see why he a hugely popular and successful author in his home country of France. The Reunion is a twisty crime thriller set in the author’s birthplace of Antibes with a dual timeline mystery. Set in the present day, three old school friends attend a school reunion with more reason than most to fear the past. The demolition of the school gym is about to commence and they know there is a body concealed there ...more
Kate Avery
Jul 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites-2019
Rating 4.5/5

I’ll be honest I picked this book up and was a bit unsure about it at the beginning, it was taking me a while to get into and I started to think that maybe it wasn’t going to be for me. Luckily I stuck with it because once I got a bit further into the book I was completely hooked by this tense and unpredictable story.

There was so much that I liked about this book but I think the thing that really struck a chord with me was how much the author played with perception. There is a quote
Bernadette Robinson
I gave this read a 4/5 stars or 8/10. My thanks to the Publishers via Tracy Fenton for the opportunity to read this story in exchange for an honest review.

This story has been translated from French and I feel that if I could read French, that I may very well have given this a higher rating, as I feel that some of the tension has been lost in the translation. This is the story of four high school friends. One night one of the friends Vinca Rockwell runs away with her philosophy teacher Alexis.

The
Yvonne
Oct 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-thriller
This is the first time I have read a book by this author. The premise of a school reunion has been turned into a dark and intriguing read. I have never been to a reunion and, while I do get the idea of catching up with old friends, it is not something I would enjoy. Yes, they would be old friends but also they would also be strangers to me.

The main character is Thomas, he is an author who is attending the reunion and while there he meets his own small group that he was friendly with at school.
Anne
Jul 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
I was worried that I would have trouble with all the lovely French names in this one but I quickly was drawn into the plot of this fantastic mystery! When Thomas returns to his elite school for a 25th reunion, he worries that a secret from his past will come back to haunt him as Vinca--the girl he adored--disappeared and there is scandal surrounding it. Soon we discover that there are more secrets than students here! And everyone is involved, from Thomas to his parents and friends. Layers and ...more
Kimberly Burns
Nov 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Natalie [genreneutralreader]
The Reunion started very strong for me, but lost a bit of steam as the story went on. It probably had to do with my not being able to connect or empathize with the characters. The resolution was unpredictable in a sense, but it felt very jumbled to me. One of those trying-to-hard-for-a-twist things. So I enjoyed the book, but didn’t love it enough to be recommending it to friends.
Laurie
Nov 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Entertaining and enjoyable read. I think I would have enjoyed it a bit more had I not read a bunch of books lately with this simple plot line but would definitely recommend. Lots of twists and turns which kept my guessing and predicting.
Natalia Dyjas
Too much mistakes. Sunset on May at 6 p.m.? SMS in 1992? There was a lot of stupid things like this and it drove me crazy.
Lindsay
3.5 - A bit unrealistic and the characters aren’t developed well, but it’s still entertaining with lots of twists. ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Une fille comme elle
  • Nie odpisuj
  • Kimkolwiek jesteś (Ukryta sieć, #2)
  • Rana
  • Kolory zła. Czerwień (Kolory zła, #1)
  • Obłęd
  • Ghost In Love
  • J'ai dû rêver trop fort
  • Sang Famille
  • Il est grand temps de rallumer les étoiles
  • Sakız Sardunya
  • Iluzjonista (Gerard Edling, #2)
  • Wyrok (Chyłka i Zordon, #10)
  • Rzeźnik
  • Une évidence
  • À la lumière du petit matin
  • Inna
  • Le parfum du bonheur est plus fort sous la pluie
One of the most popular authors in France today. From his early childhood with reading books and plays, Guillaume Musso became convinced that one day, he too would write novels. After finishing high school in France, Guillaume Musso left for the United States at the age of 19. He spent several months in New York City, living with other young foreigners and earning his money by selling ice-cream. ...more
“La vie me fait moins peur.Vous pouvez m'attaquer, vous pouvez me juger, vous pouvez me ruiner. J'aurau toujours à portée de main un vieux bic mâchouillé et un bloc-notes froissé. Mes seules armes. A la fois dérisoires et puissantes. Les seules sur lesquelles j'ai toujours pu compter pour m'aider à traverser la nuit.” 1 likes
“To tell the world what truly matters to you is to make yourself vulnerable.” 0 likes