Start by marking “There's a Word for That” as Want to Read:
There's a Word for That

There's a Word for That

"Engrossing, hilarious, and tender... I couldn't put it down."
---Gretchen Rubin, #1 New York Times bestselling author of The Happiness Project

A hilarious and moving chronicle of a wildly flawed family that comes together--in rehab, of all places--even as each member is on the verge of falling apart

Introducing the Kesslers: Marty, a retired LA film producer whose self-wor
Published April 2nd 2019 by Little, Brown and Company

To ask other readers questions about There's a Word for That, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about There's a Word for That

Theresa
Apr 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Quick read: if you like reading Emma Straub, you will probably like this novel. If you don’t like Emma Straub, try this novel anyway. It’s fun!

Long form: I really liked this novel. It’s what I label lit lite; the writing style is clearly literary fiction, but the tone/plot/subject matter is light enough to enjoy by a pool in between swims. It’s a fine line that is very enjoyable when it works. Think Where’d You Go, Bernadette? or The Vacationers. It works here.

There’s a Word for That is the stor
Nichole
Sloan Tanen has written a quick and bitingly-funny tale of the unraveling of two burned-out celebrity families. Directions (based on the now-closed controversial Malibu clinic Promises) is the place where these people will reunite, confront their pasts, battle their addictions, and embrace forgiveness and love. Two families will become one seething with multigenerational craziness.

An impressive late-summer read. I enjoyed it.

4 stars

Gretchen Rubin
A gripping, hilarious novel about dysfunctional family dynamics set amid Hollywood and London fabulousness. I love a family story.
Lauren
Jan 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, favorites
I loved this book! The relationships between all the characters, the plot, the insanely good weaving of all the components and families and relationships together. It was just a treat to read. Shows real connections between people, both good and bad, and how redemption can happen at any time.
Kathy
May 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
Three and a half stars. A light, fun read that is deceptively well written.
K.J. Dell'Antonia
My favorite book of 2019 so far! This ticks all the boxes for me. Hollywood behind the scenes! Rehab behind the scenes! Families with lots of baggage forced to cope with each other! And—best of all, and I didn’t even know I wanted this—what if JK Rowling was actually an awful, awful person and mother and was roaming drunk around London and Los Angeles? Tasty, I tell you. Loved this one.
Ric
Jul 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Witty and sardonic take on overprivileged Hollywood types and the damage inflicted on their messed up offspring. And THEIR offspring. Perfect beach read, and that is meant as a compliment.
Mskarla
Jul 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
I only give 5 stars to books that I think are amazing in some way, so 4 stars mean I really liked something. Entertaining, warm, and very funny, this was an easy and enjoyable read. Take it to the beach and you’ll have a sunburn before you’re ready to put it down.
Tracy
Jun 06, 2019 rated it it was ok
forgettable. I read this book 3 weeks ago and had to look at the summary and a couple reviews before I could remember ANY of it.

It wasn't terrible, but is it even worth reading a book that obviously didn't make me think at all?

Poor rich kids who have been handed everything and earned nothing, counting on an inheritance that's already been squandered away. Unbelievable ending, and this is probably a spoiler, but thank God everything works out for these people who did nothing to earn a happy endin
Goldie
Shelves: family, hollywood
In the likeness of a modern day Jane Austen novel, Sloane Tanen captures the sheltered world of a circle of elite Hollywood socialites, blinded to the outside world in the pursuit of material gain. A compassionate novel with a philosophical undercurrent that critiques the affects of fame and capital success. A wonderful insight into a microsim that the world iconiclizes, perhaps too naively.
Donna Hines
Apr 20, 2019 rated it it was ok
I have this much to note: Janine is expecting and Henry is awaiting the arrival.
What more can I say as that's all I wrote as this just wasn't my cup of tea.
Remember the old adage sex, drugs, and rock and roll...yes I do too!
It's like that for this family as each one tries to cope with the other's struggles and flaws.
While they supposedly all care about what another the truth is in the pudding.
Good luck!
I hope you enjoy.
Not for me!
Sharon
Jun 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Tanen examines the long-coming downfall of a patriarch & matriarch of two different but connected families. The effect parents and their choices have on the next generation is examined, and those ripple effects have certainly been hard felt. Narcissism, substance abuse, mental issues, selfish choices…so many hardships and pain, yet the author still manages to make the portrayal amusing, sympathetic, and hopeful. Despite their many flaws, I cared about the characters and wished them well.
Nice
Elisabeth Jewell
Jul 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An estranged family gathers together to support the patriarch through his seventh? eighth? stint in rehab ("it's just a little heroin, all this fuss is ridiculous, it's a habit, not an addiction") and turns into a garbage fire of long festering resentments and hurts. A former child actress who fled Hollywood decades ago, the Prettier Sister who is accidentally recreating the same bitter dynamic with her own daughters, a retired Hollywood producer who throws money at problems and at his ex girlfr ...more
Dad
Jul 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
I won this book on Goodreads.com. It is the story of a dysfunctional family who come together at the same Rehab. Marty is a 75 year old man addicted to Heroin, his ex wife is an alcoholic. They end up along with other members of their extended family at the same facility, and don't realize they are all together until they bump into each other. At times quite funny, and also very moving.
Diplomat Brat
May 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
HILARIOUS, impossible to put down. Wonderful characters that keep you turning the pages wanting to know what will happen. An insight into the inner workings of a non celebrity hollywood family and the havoc the industry wreaks on adults and their children.
F.T. Bradley
Jul 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Smart, an unexpected page-turner. Normally not my type of reading, but I really liked it.
emily
Jul 05, 2019 rated it it was ok
if i'm being honest this book was underwhelming and gave me little to no narrative satisfaction. somehow that fit with the theme, though? so i can forgive it, i think.
ZewsReadingCorner (Booktuber)
I loved this book, it was pit of the stomach achingly hilarious and I couldn't put it down.
Kaitlyn
Aug 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was so good it had many surprises in it and it was a book that got me out of my reading slump! I would highly recommend this book and I honestly think it needs another follow up novel because I want to see what happens next. You grow to love all the characters except for some one it’s just makes you think of all the dysfunctional things a family goes through.
Mk
May 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved this novel -- fun, smart and witty. Tanen has such a wry sense of humor and the writing here is so sharp!
Emma
Aug 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Highly enjoyable contemporary read.

Jackie
May 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! This book was a truly enjoyable read! A witty, hilarious, fun and engaging book that I didn’t want to end. I wanted to continue to follow the characters lives. Buy this book for you and one for your best friend! Enjoy! A true delight!
Franny lu
Aug 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
enjoyable but too short
Heather
Jul 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was the perfect book for while I am knee deep in my own mother’s dysfunction. My only fear now is what I will read/do to get through the remaining days.
Susan Goldstein
Jul 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
An unexpectedly good book! Addiction is not funny and yet these characters are humorous at times, often laughing at themselves. I became attached to several of them. It was a good story.
Martha Steele
Jul 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Refreshing!
Ann
Jun 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
A touching, funny and bitter sweet novel by an author I have not read before but will follow now for sure. I really enjoyed this tale of seriously flawed folks looking for peace!
Amina
Jun 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Book 4
Narrator 5
Karen
Jun 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I like the story; it keeps you interested through the whole book.
Annie
Jun 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
I loved this book. I didn't think it was hilarious but it was quirky and heartwarming. Good stuff.
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Around the Year i...: There's a Word for That, by Sloane Tanen 1 10 Apr 23, 2019 09:49AM

• A Wonderful Stroke of Luck
  • The Editor
  • Rules for Visiting
  • Last Day
  • The Year Marjorie Moore Learned to Live
Author of nine books including Bitter With Baggage Seeks Same--being re-released by Bloomsbury January, 2019. New novel There's A Word For That, coming from Little, Brown on April, 2019

Instagram: sloane.tanen