Start by marking “There's a Word for That” as Want to Read:
There's a Word for That

There's a Word for That

"Engrossing, hilarious, and tender... I couldn't put it down."
---Gretchen Rubin, #1 New York Times bestselling author of The Happiness Project

A hilarious and moving chronicle of a wildly flawed family that comes together--in rehab, of all places--even as each member is on the verge of falling apart

Introducing the Kesslers: Marty, a retired LA film producer whose self-wor
Published April 2nd 2019 by Little, Brown and Company

To ask other readers questions about There's a Word for That, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about There's a Word for That

Gretchen Rubin
A gripping, hilarious novel about dysfunctional family dynamics set amid Hollywood and London fabulousness. I love a family story.
Lauren
Jan 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, favorites
I loved this book! The relationships between all the characters, the plot, the insanely good weaving of all the components and families and relationships together. It was just a treat to read. Shows real connections between people, both good and bad, and how redemption can happen at any time.
Theresa
Apr 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Quick read: if you like reading Emma Straub, you will probably like this novel. If you don’t like Emma Straub, try this novel anyway. It’s fun!

Long form: I really liked this novel. It’s what I label lit lite; the writing style is clearly literary fiction, but the tone/plot/subject matter is light enough to enjoy by a pool in between swims. It’s a fine line that is very enjoyable when it works. Think Where’d You Go, Bernadette? or The Vacationers. It works here.

There’s a Word for That is the stor
Kerry Anne King
Apr 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
There's a Word for That is so many different things-- funny, insightful, thought provoking, creative, heart warming--but at its wonderful heart it is a story of family and the bonds that hold us together. Beneath the laugh out loud humor, the story runs deep into the places where we are all a little broken and damaged by our families. The lovable but oh-so-flawed characters take us on a journey of discovery that we can all relate to. I loved it and was sad when it ended. Highly recommended.

(I re
Donna Hines
Apr 20, 2019 rated it it was ok
I have this much to note: Janine is expecting and Henry is awaiting the arrival.
What more can I say as that's all I wrote as this just wasn't my cup of tea.
Remember the old adage sex, drugs, and rock and roll...yes I do too!
It's like that for this family as each one tries to cope with the other's struggles and flaws.
While they supposedly all care about what another the truth is in the pudding.
Good luck!
I hope you enjoy.
Not for me!
Rachel
Apr 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
There's a word for that... adore (verb): love and respect deeply. I adore this novel! Light, fun and funny. A dramedy with real world issues and laughs. Every character is flawed in some way, some treating each other terribly at times, yet we get an understanding of their history and why they act the way they do. Getting to know each character and watching their relationships grow is satisfying. Reminds me of a mixture of Shameless, Arrested Development, and The Royal Tenenbaums. Like binge watc ...more
Elizabeth
*I received this book from a Goodreads giveaway*

None of this cast of characters is particularly likeable, but as a family, they are relatable in their dysfunction and individual neuroses. Despite that, the book has an odd and cohesive charm that makes for pleasant reading. It is a breezy, buoyant read, and every time I opened the book it made me wish I was in bed with a cup of hot chocolate.
Tracy
Jan 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
If you think your family is dysfunctional, you should meet the Kesslers. When former LA producer Marty returns--again--to rehab, his entire family has a chance to pull themselves together. Clever and witty with multi-faceted characters, readers of Ann Patchett and Jami Attenberg won't be able to turn away from what starts as a train wreck and turns into a family to love.
Diane Fredericks
Apr 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Really four and a half stars. Such a good read. The characters were so well developed and the story was presented in such a good way with the viewpoints of the different characters and their dysfunctional relationships with one another. The book was quite funny even though there were sad parts involving mental health, and drug and alcohol abuse.
Jo
Apr 12, 2019 rated it liked it
If you can get past a slew of unlikable characters, this is a decent read. Failed marriages, bad parenting and mental health issues are covered in an almost humorous way. The ending was hard to believe though.
Victoria Thevenot
Mar 19, 2019 rated it liked it
Super cute read - I wasn't sure about it when I started out, but I got really invested in the well being of the characters and was glad to see things turn out ok, without being perfectly/tidily wrapped up. Life is messy, and this book shows that messiness, while also keeping you hopeful.
Lindsey
Apr 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, reviews
Review to come.
Jessica Howard
Feb 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019, fiction
3.5 stars I guess - I wobbled between 3 and 4. Impressed that Tanen made me this interested in a bunch of basically unlikeable characters. Full review coming for Shelf Awareness.
MandM
Apr 22, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5 fun
Andrew
Old flames, family, and fate intertwine in this hilarious, unforgettable dramedy.
Katherina Martin
  • Das Traumbuch
  • The Editor
  • Rules for Visiting
  • Last Day
Author of nine books including Bitter With Baggage Seeks Same--being re-released by Bloomsbury January, 2019. New novel There's A Word For That, coming from Little, Brown on April, 2019

Instagram: sloane.tanen