Start by marking “Happiness Is Baking: Cakes, Pies, Tarts, Muffins, Brownies, Cookies: Favorite Desserts from the Queen of Cake” as Want to Read:

"Happiness is baking cookies. Happiness is giving them away. And serving them, and eating them, talking about them, reading and writing about them, thinking about them, and sharing them with you."
Maida Heatter is one of the most iconic and fondly remembered cookbook authors of all time. Her recipes, each a modern classic, are must-haves in every home baker's bag of
Published April 16th 2019 by Voracious

Start your review of Happiness Is Baking: Cakes, Pies, Tarts, Muffins, Brownies, Cookies: Favorite Desserts from the Queen of Cake
Billie
Jan 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
From the introduction:

I yelled, "Bake cookies."

I often talk to the television. I yelled it again and again. The doctor went on with his list of 12 ways to reduce stress...and he never once mentioned my surefire treatment.

Baking is a great escape. It's happiness. It's creative..
Vicki
May 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbook, 2019
This is charming, and cute, and useful. I love the design, and although I only got to bake one recipe out of it before i had to return it to the library, that recipe was really unusual, and worked perfectly (the chocolate applesauce cake). This would be a great book to give somebody who is a seasoned baker, because there's a rainbow of tried-and-true recipes in here. But it'd also be great for a beginner who wants to learn technique, and how to train their instincts. Really lovely. I will be ...more
Douglas
Aug 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazingly easy to follow, great recipes!
LAPL Reads
Sep 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the most recent cookbook from the Queen of Cake, Maida Heatter, which is a collection of her favorite recipes. In the introduction she writes about how determined a baker can be to get a recipe, and how much satisfaction there is in baking and giving desserts to others. This cookbook is different from her other works only in its new format that has a very bright colorful layout and illustrations by Alice Oehr. Everything else is the same as in her other cookbooks: table of contents, ...more
S Vanorse
Jun 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My first encounter with Maida Heatter was more than 20 years ago, when at a dinner I was served a piece of the best pie I had ever eaten in my life. My surprise was that my friends husband had made it, he is a car guy, so I was surprised to say the least. I was immediately a fan, my friend loaned me all her cookbooks she had, which I now own myself, thanks to library book sales. I was sad not to see that pie in this book, Chocolate Angel Pie, I make it often, everyone loves it, "save room, Mom ...more
Katie
Jan 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
I received this book as a Goodreads Giveaway. I have not made any of the recipes yet, but am looking forward to trying them. I really like the format of the cookbook, from "Before You Bake" section, the descriptions, the illustrations, and the conversational tone of the recipes. Reading through some of the recipes I felt like a friend was sharing her recipes with me :) I will update my review once I make some of the recipes.
Christen
Dec 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
I am going to have to get this book for my collection.
Melissa Engbrecht
I've made a couple of recipes out of this book and they have been delicious!
Lisa
Sep 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Would have given this book 5 stars if it had photographs instead of artistic renderings of the baked goods.

Love the variety of recipes and my daughter and I made the chocolate chip cookies and even though they were mighty expensive to make, they were YUMMY!

Oh, and the author of the book is 102 years old and her name, if you cross out three letters is Mad Hatter. So, you know the book is way cool.

E.
Jul 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh my word! Every recipe is fabulous - loved her accompanying notes!!
Evelyn
May 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019-read-books
There are a lot of recipes I can’t wait to make!
Jenn Adams
Jan 11, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: food, library, nonfiction
Reading as many Goodreads Choice Nominees as I can.

I knew going into it that this one would be a challenge for me, but I kept an open mind.

I'm absolutely not a "baking person", which I felt even more strongly about when a significant part of the beginning of the book was spent on the idea of how precise one needs to be with baking. Recently, I have been going through a lot of cookbooks (all the Goodreads Choice noms from 2019) and most of the non-dessert selections have been encouraging about
Clwseattle
Oct 27, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2019
The inside cover of Happiness Is Baking: Cakes, Pies, Tarts, Muffins, Brownies, Cookies: Favorite Desserts from the Queen of Cake claims it is "Classic, can't fail recipes for a lifetime of happy baking". I can't argue with that.

However, I found only a very few recipes that I want to make and the "Cranberry Upside-Down Cake" is one I will be making this holiday season. While "Mildred Knoph's Orange Puff Cake" sounds absolutely delicious, I laughed out loud at the directions which said
First,
Liz
Mar 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Was thrilled to win an Advance Copy Proof of the new book from Maida Heatter from the Goodreads sweepstakes and am busy marking which recipes to try. I own a well thumbed copy of her Book of great chocolate desserts (was happy to see reprinted in this one her recipe for Chocolate Gingerbread which is one of my favorite things to take to a potluck), so I will be concentrating on the non-chocolate I think. For sure I will be making the two lemon cakes in order to decide which is better!
(not
Jo
Jan 01, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thank you Goodreads for sending me this cookbook. I had never heard of Maida Heatter before. There are very good instructions for basic baking techniques and these are all supposedly tried and true recipes. There are good recipes for beginners and advanced bakersalso. I enjoyed reading through all the recipes, I would have rather seen pictures of the baked goods than illustrations. It is hard to narrow down which one I will try first.
Ady
Nov 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a very precise cookbook.

I love the illustrations in place of the glossy pictures in most cookbooks. I also love the author’s obvious JOY in baking and knowledge thereof. She has worked hard on making this cookbook VERY precise with instructions that will yield perfect results. I would actually recommend this to an adventurous new baker. The lessons one learns through experience have been carefully detailed in this book.
Bridget
Interesting

The recipes seem very interesting and doable, but I didn’t like the fact that there were no actual photos of the finished desserts—only very cute illustrations! I will be baking some of the recipes though.
Michael
Great recipes but all repeats

Lots of great recipes but they are all repeats from previous books. Would only recommend purchasing if you don’t have a library of her books already
Kathy
Nov 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Without a doubt, some of the best cakes I have ever made. The buttermilk spice cake with brown sugar icing was perfect for a crisp autumn day. The spices were just the right amount in the cake and the icing added a sweetness to balance the flavor.
Dawn
Jul 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I can't give it 5 stars yet because I didn't have time to bake anything before it had to go back to the library. However, it was delightful enough that I found a ton of things I *want* to bake. It is now on my wish list for the non-digital version for Christmas.
Ann Marie
Jan 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I received this book from goodreads. Thank you Goodreads. This is a great book I have tried at least five different recipes and they are all amazing I love a good baking book

Thank you again and my children thank you as well
Jessie Young
Mar 19, 2019 rated it liked it
Needs pictures.
Silke
May 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good. I‘m missing photos and measurements in grams unfortunately.
Ashley
This is one to purchase and try the recipes. Not a lot of pictures (which I enjoy) but chick full of great recipes.
Eileen
I want photos of delicious recipes in a cookbook.
Meg
Jul 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fic, food-drink
Josh and I loved this cookbook. I think this will be ordered in a few days. We found ourselves wanting to bake everything, and they are simple recipes to boot.
Maggie
Jan 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
cook books totally count, don't @me.
Margaret Gerberding
The title says it all! Another wonderful book by Maida Heatter.
Cyndi
Apr 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Viriam
Dec 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A nice collection of baked sweets (mostly), well presented and original.

• Antoni in the Kitchen
  • Indian-ish: Recipes and Antics from a Modern American Family
  • Nothing Fancy: Unfussy Food for Having People Over
  • Rachael Ray 50: Memories and Meals from a Sweet and Savory Life: A Cookbook
  • Where Cooking Begins: Uncomplicated Recipes to Make You a Great Cook: A Cookbook
  • Midnight Chicken: & Other Recipes Worth Living For
  • Every Day Is Saturday: Recipes and Strategies for Easy Cooking, Every Day of the Week
  • The Little Women Cookbook: Tempting Recipes from the March Sisters and Their Friends and Family
  • Plant-Based on a Budget: Delicious Vegan Recipes for Under $30 a Week, for Less Than 30 Minutes a Meal
  • Simple Cake: All You Need to Keep Your Friends and Family in Cake [a Baking Book]
  • Dorie's Cookies
  • No Crumbs Left: Whole30 Endorsed, Recipes for Everyday Food Made Marvelous
  • Zaitoun: Recipes from the Palestinian Kitchen
  • The Prairie Homestead Cookbook: Simple Recipes for Heritage Cooking in Any Kitchen
  • The Clean Plate: Eat, Reset, Heal
  • Dinner for Everyone: 100 Iconic Dishes Made 3 Ways--Easy, Vegan, or Perfect for Company: A Cookbook
  • Aloha Kitchen: Recipes from Hawai'i [a Cookbook]
  • Two Peas & Their Pod Cookbook: Favorite Everyday Recipes from Our Family Kitchen
Maida Heatter was an American pastry chef and cookbook author who specialized in baking and desserts. Heatter's cookbooks have been the recipient of three James Beard Foundation Awards, and she herself was inducted into the Who's Who of Food & Beverage in America in 1988. She was also inducted into the Chocolatier Magazine Hall of Fame.
“Years ago I heard a doctor talking on television about the dangers of stress. It can kill you. It can cause a heart attack or a stroke. The doctor listed ways of coping with stress. Exercise. Diet. Do yoga. Take a walk.

I yelled, "Bake cookies."

Baking is a great escape. It's happiness. It's creative. It's good for your health. It reduces stress.”
1 likes