Start by marking “Middle School Misadventures” as Want to Read:
Middle School Misadventures

Middle School Misadventures

In Jason Platt's debut graphic novel, Ferris Bueller meets Calvin and Hobbes in this hilarious and embarrassing middle school caper that asks the important questions--like how long can one kid vamp before he embarrasses himself in front of his whole school?
Newell is always getting into trouble--whether it's showing up tardy for most of the year, or mocking his teachers
Published April 9th 2019 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers

Start your review of Middle School Misadventures
Liz
Jul 23, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This whole thing was just kinda flawed for me. The talent show is going to be put on in three days? The principal is super vindictive and summer school is used as punishment not to further education or assist those who need extra help? The dad is just fine with all of this and never speaks to the principal? The art style was fine, but the story was just kinda ridiculous such that I stopped caring what happened to any of the characters.
Erik
Apr 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great comic! Reminds me a of a combination of Big Ned and Calvin and Hobbes
Sandy
The illustrations were great but I just couldn’t get into the story. The colorful, brilliant illustrations really jumped off the pages and I really thought this graphic novel was going to be a hit. It was the story itself that just didn’t make any sense to me as I read it but I continued reading it, as I liked the illustrations.

Let’s begin with the story and then, end this review on a positive note, the illustrations. The story was about a middle-schooler Newell who is signed up for his school’s
Julie
Apr 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids, graphic
I really like the art in this - bright and colorful, with a style that's similar to Calvin and Hobbes. It's clear that Platt took his time with each panel (which doesn't always seem to be the case with graphic novels). Readers need to be willing to accept some absurdities from the very beginning (view spoiler) to the premise of the book (the late-for-school/summer school/talent show ...more
Deborah
May 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
It's hard to talk about a book when you know the author. I've been reading his work for years now and am so glad that he has a book contract. The story is fun and the artwork is beautiful. Newell is a wonderful character and I can't wait to see what he gets up to next.
Becky Stutzman
Sep 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Somewhat similar to the graphic novel
Click but this one had great quirky characters- Newell and his friends are fantastic and very relatable!
Chelsey
Jun 04, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019
The problem with basing your style so heavily off of someone else is that I just keep thinking... we’ll, this isn’t as good as Calvin and Hobbs.
Jennifer Green
Oct 05, 2019 rated it liked it
The artwork for this graphic novel was really nice, but I'm not sure that the story resonated. My son enjoyed it well enough - he is the target demographic - but he wasn't interested enough in the characters and their stories for me to get him the second book. He said he'd prefer to read something else instead. And I can't say that I blame him for that. I found that the story jumped around and Newell came across as a very annoying version of Nate. I actually wanted him to fail and get in trouble ...more
Matthew Archibald
May 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was an enjoyable book. Newell, the main character, has a very active imagination, and a penchant for getting in trouble because of his daydreaming. Through a series of unfortunate events, he ends up with a choice: participate in the school talent show, or attend summer school. Unfortunately, he has no talent. Or does he?

This book reminded me a lot of Big Nate. So if you like graphic novels about inadvertent troublemakers, somewhat bewildered friends, and generally well-meaning adults,
Beth
So I guess Jason Platt has a webcomic (I haven't read it) that this book is based upon. I felt the pictures were too close to Bill Watterson's style of illustration, but I thought the story was delightfully funny (even though some things don't make sense, like what school administrator would wait until 3 DAYS before a talent show to announce that they were doing it?). The best thing about it is Newell's talent. (view spoiler) ...more
Angela
Aug 06, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
This had all the charm of the comics from my youth. There's a certain Calvin and Hobbes quality to the illustrations that is fun and I don't think the kids go to Garfield school coincidentally. Anyway, the plot is kinda wobbly for me. I can't see summer school being something you get to skip by doing a talent show? That said, the jokes were good, and a lot of care was taken with the illustrations.
Ms. Yingling
Apr 15, 2019 rated it liked it
Public library copy

Attractive, well done graphic novel that students will want to read.

It lost me, however, when the main character HAS to participate in the talent show or the principal will make him go to summer school. I can't see any child being forced into being in a talent show. The rest of the whole book felt off to me because of that, but students will not mind at all.
Joi Keen
Apr 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Middle School Misadventures was a fun read. Newell and his friends are believable and the artwork is stellar. The situations Newell finds himself in are both real and outlandish at the same time. The creativity displayed by Jason Platt is great. I look forward to following Newell on many more adventures.
Great Books
Jun 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
In this hilarious debut graphic novel from Jason Platt, discover the crazy things that Newell must go through to stay out of Summer school and keep his arch nemesis from ruining his life. Filled with great jokes and awesome illustrations, this graphic novel will keep you laughing all the way to the end!

Reviewer 22
Wes Molebash
Apr 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The artwork and story took me back to my childhood when I’d stay awake at night poring over comics under the covers with a flashlight. I sincerely hope this isn’t the last we hear from Newell and his friends at Garfield Middle School.
Katelyn Patterson
Oct 11, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
Things really stalled in the middle and Newell didn't really ever seem to learn a lesson. His friends didn't seem to have personality of their own, everything was about them existing around him. Very white male experience up in here.
Anthony
Newell, in a last ditch attempt to avoid summer school, signs up for Garfield Middle school's talent show. The only problem is he has no talent and no idea what to perform. Time is ticking, and Newell must come up with an idea, or his summer will be filled with classroom activities.
Mompop
Apr 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
could have done w/o the euphemisms (***f...t***) otherwise, very enjoyable reading. Unfortunately my experiences sharing "Walter the **f...ting* dog" as a read-aloud is not "ancient" enough to share this one.
Beth
May 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids
My daughter read this book and LOVED it! She loved the artwork and the story---said the characters were hilarious. She starts middle school next year.
Jeanjean
Aug 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Reminiscent of Calvin and Hobbes. Quite funny and cute at times.
Melissa
Jul 11, 2019 rated it liked it
I liked the art a lot but wasn’t too interested in the story. Felt like a very young middle school.
Gail
Great art. Fun story, the kids really liked it!
Candace Hudson
Nov 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
I found myself laughing throughout this book. Great humor and graphics. My library patrons will enjoy this one.
Krissy Neddo
Aug 16, 2019 rated it liked it
Concepts of a forced talent show, unreasonable adults, etc will annoy adults, but the kids won't care. For fans of Big Nate.
Mpoveda
is so funny and i can connect to it
Carter
Jun 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A very funny graphic novel about a boy who must come up with an idea for his school’s talent show.
Gracie
Jan 23, 2019 rated it it was ok
I really don't like this book. It is very not feelingful.
Andréa
Jun 26, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Note: I received an ARC of this book from the publisher at ALA Annual 2019.
Mary Lee
Jun 05, 2019 rated it liked it
This book will pair well with CLICK -- two talent show graphic novels in the same year! Kids will love this. Lots of slapstick humor.
Tessa Baer
Jun 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was fun.

• Sunny Rolls the Dice
  • Camp
  • Just Jaime
  • Making Friends: Back to the Drawing Board (Making Friends #2)
  • Best Friends (Real Friends, #2)
  • Click