Start by marking “With a Twist (The Speakeasy, #1)” as Want to Read:
With a Twist (The Speakeasy, #1)

With a Twist

(The Speakeasy #1)

Love, served with a twist.

Nursing a broken heart when his ex-boyfriend, Riley, leaves him for the love of his life, Carter, Will Martin throws himself into teaching at NYU and writing. An invite from Riley to a speakeasy called Under helps Will begin to heal, and he finds himself enjoying both the drinks and the company.

Soon after, hes shaken by news of his fathers cancer

Published September 25th 2018 by Pride Publishing

To ask other readers questions about With a Twist, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about With a Twist

Start your review of With a Twist (The Speakeasy, #1)
⚣Michaelle⚣
4.5 Stars

I was pleasantly surprised when my request for the local library to buy this came through...usually ebooks take a while and I've only had this one on my wishlist shelf for a little while. And despite the politics, which is an important theme, I found myself enjoying the story immensely. Because David reads more like a Pre-Reagan Republican, is openly gay, supports many so-called "liberal" social positions and isn't afraid to risk his seat by voting against current party lines. He says
Truuss / Loveislovereview
Mar 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m, 2019
Will and David

This story rises above other ones I read. It had a higher level of emotional and rational maturity. It felt awful realistic.

Will hesitatingly returns to his parents house because his father is prognoses with cancer. His mother and sister insistent on his presence. Disowned by his father for being gay and caught with his boyfriend, Will has bad feelings about it, but supported by his friends he reluctantly heads home.

Will is a douchebag in Davids eyes, and David is a traitor in
Tracy~Bayou Book Junkie

5 Stars

Truthfully, I didnt like Will when I met him in the Tidal series, in fact, I consulted my review of Calm, and yes, I said he had the personality of a wet mop, and truthfully, well, it was true, but a big portion of why I disliked Will so much was because he was in the way of Riley and Carter, so I wasnt sure I was going to like this book, because, well..Will, but I have to admit Will quickly won me over once I learned his backstory. He seemed much more likable in this story, and I loved
Helena Stone
Mar 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It took me way too long, but Im so happy that at last Ive found me way back to the universe Coles and Vaughn created in the Tidal Series. I adored both Wake and Calm and returning to that world meant that I could both reconnect with Riley and Carter and, more importantly, get to know the fascinating secondary characters I had met in the earlier book much better.

With a Twist is the first of the new break-away stories and focuses on Will, the historian who had a brief relationship with Riley in
Joyfully Jay
Oct 12, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: michelle
A Joyfully Jay review.

3 stars

With a Twist is a spinoff from Vaughn and Coles previous series, Tidal, that featured Riley and Carter. Will dated Riley and the breakup was difficult for him. While Riley and Carter are seen here, this book could be read on its own if you are okay with not understanding all of the dynamics between Will, Riley, and Carter. There were several characters introduced in the previous books that I was interested in reading about and this book was an anticipated read for
Nat ReadingAllNite
Feb 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, arc-read, author-site
The idea of an openly gay Republican elected to office seems like an oxymoron but I have to say, the authors really made it work here. There really isnt much in the way of politics in the story, brief mentions of the differences between very liberal Will and conservative David but no disagreements or debates over specifics are included. David was presented as a moderate Republican state senator so no mention of national issues either. I like a story that makes me think though and there was ...more
Patricia Nelson
Sep 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was one of those fantastic, poignant, bittersweet, intense, wonderful, compelling, passionate, grab-you-by-the-feels, gritty, awesome, powerful, and emotionally charged stories that pulled me in from the very first page, and kept me hooked from beginning to end. I would recommend having a box of tissues handy when you start reading this beautiful book.
Allison
Sep 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: beta, 2018
I beta'd this and loved it. I'll be buying it soon. Now I just have to read the series that led to it because I'm sure I'll love it even more after that.
Randall
Jul 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved Will and David's story. Will was a secondary character in the Tidal series and intrigued me... it was great to see him get his own story, his chance at happiness, and revisit with the Tidal characters who continue to be a close knit group of friends whom you would love to share a cocktail with, and more, in this new series. Highly recommended.
Karolina Cebula
Mar 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lgbt, in-english
Review in English and Polish || Recenzja po angielsku i polsku

In order to finally heal his broken heart after breaking up with his boyfriend who started dating the love of his life after years of friendship, Will Martin devotes himself to his work at NYU and writing. Unfortunately, instead of licking his wounds in peace, Will needs to help his mother and sister take care of his father who was diagnosed with cancer. The problem is that some time ago his father, a Republican Senator, rejected him
Lena Grey
Apr 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
How wonderful that we have met with a paradox. Now we have some hope of making progress. ~ Niels Bohr

Will Martin and his father have been alienated for ten years, since his father found out he was gay. Will is determined never to see him again until his mother calls with ominous news his father has cancer and isnt expected to live. She begs him to come home and help them take care of him. Also, she hopes that they can reconcile before his father dies. At first Will is adamant, telling her he
Kirstin
Feb 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
As the first book in a new series by K. Evan Coles and Brigham Vaughn, this is also a spin-off of another series collaboratively written by the pair.

Will Martin is a gay NYU professor and writer who's been estranged from his family for a decade after coming out. When he receives a call that his father, the Senator, is ill and he's needed at home, he decides to take the summer off and get reacquainted with his family.

David Mori has looked up to his mentor, Senator Martin, since he first entered
Pates
Sep 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars!

Needless to say, I was excited when I found out K. Evan and Brigham were starting another series with the secondary characters from the Tidal Series and I was not disappointed!

The writing collaboration between K and Brigham flows perfectly from from one to the other. So much so, that when Will is in Davids scenes and vice versa you feel like they could be writing side by side.

Speaking of David, I adored him so so much. Even though he is a republican....Seriously, WHAT??? LOL We will
Heather
When Will Martin gets an invitation to a new club called Under from his ex, Riley, he never expected to really enjoy himself or the company but he does. Upon receiving news that his father has been diagnosed with cancer he reluctantly returns to the family home to help his mother and sister care for him. David Mori has looked up to Senator Martin as a mentor and friend so when he learns of the senator's cancer diagnosis he wants to help. There's no denying the attraction between Will and David ...more
Sally
Sep 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What a wonderful story about finding love during a really rough point in your life and reconnecting with your family whom you had been estranged from for years. Both situations were handled with loving care of the characters. We first met Will Martin in K. Evan Coles and Brigham Vaughns Tidal Series books. When his lover, Riley, got back together with the love of his life, Carter, Will is left alone and broken-hearted. When he gets the news that his father is ill, he ventures back to his ...more
Debra Guyette
Jul 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After his ex-boyfriend, Riley, leaves him for Riley's best friend, Carter, Will threw himself into teaching at NYU and writing his books. When Riley invites him to a speakeasy, Will finally begins to heal. Then he learns of his estranged father's illness and Will returns to Long Island to see the man who disowned him when he came out. Sparks fly between Will and his father's mentee, Senator David Mori. David is both gay and mixed race and the two find themselves attracted, in spite of a rough ...more
Lisa
I wasnt sure if I would enjoy this story as politics bore the living daylights out of me but it was quite enjoyable and while there was some political talks it wasnt a major focus in the story.

Wills father kicked him out years before and never showed him any respect despite becoming a well respected lecturer. But as soon as his father falls ill its like he should forget his past and all the bad things his family have done to him and come home to look after the family. He agreed begrudgingly to
Amanda at WickedGoodReads
Oct 08, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: m-m
David Mori is an Asian American, Gay, Republican senator. That's a lot to handle in a character. He appears to be a good and decent person. But, he's a republican.

Will is the gay son of a republican senator. He has been estranged from his father for many years because his father does not condone his lifestyle. Will is called home when he learns his father is dying, and that is where he meet's David. He's immediately attracted to David, however, he cannot resolve the fact that David is gay, a
Emilee
Sep 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was so excited to read this book. I loved Will in the Wake series and was so excited to see where his story would go. K. Evan Coles and Brigham Vaughn have written a great story. What we learned about Will's story from the Wake series was so sad. He was estranged from his family and hadn't had much luck in love. In With a Twist, we get to learn about his family as he returns to his family home to help his mother and sister care for his father. Will learns a lot about himself and discovers his ...more
Alexleo
Jul 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Political views, party affiliation, social status, life expectations have a strong impact on the lives of Will and David, on their families and on their relationship. I really like the fact that these two men shared enough values to find a common ground, accept the fact that they may disagree on certain issues, and build their relationship on trust, admiration and respect.

This is a book where the MCs have long dialogues but do not expect urban language but rather reasonings in line with their
Jayme
Sep 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, m-m
This book is so satisfying; it's like meeting up with old friends and some new ones!

Will Martin is a writer and a teacher at NYU whose Senator father shut him out when he found out Will was gay. When he's called to return to the family home on Long Island due to his father's failing health, he agrees, but not without some trepidation. While there, he becomes intrigued by David Mori, a Republican Senator who considers David's father his mentor.

The story of how they grow from friends to lovers
Pat
Jan 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m
I was wondering how Will could cope after Riley so now I know..
Such a bittersweet story of two men who found each other, it was difficult and awkward for them both until they could talk, then came change.
Will Martin is an author and teachers teaches at NYU .
David Nori is Republican Senator .
Their story is wonderful how they satisfy each other just by being together..
It took time but......
The Speakeasy it a very important place for the guys to meet and to get to know each other more.
Jesse
Lillian Francis
Mar 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Solid romance. Will could be a hot head on occasions but it was something he was aware of and willing to fix. I really enjoyed this opposites attract relationship that started as friends with benefits and slowly became something more. The authors clearly showed the development of that relationship and I truly believed in it.
This story deals with a terminal illness and emotions run high at times. I'll admit I cried on a couple of occasions.
Really enjoyed this.
Stephanie Carvalho
Loved this book! Took me sometime to read it - I read #2 and #3 and then this one, but so glad I finally did it! Highly reccomended, this series is fantastic!!!
Will & David went through some ups and downs, a lot os angsty times but a lot of sexy times too! Aside the political discussion in the background (not really my thing, but totally necessary since David is a Senator) the story is perfect, from beggining to end 💜
Kathryn Manzella
Mar 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
With a Twist is the first book in The Speakeasy series by K. Evan Coles and Brigham Vaughn. Will and David are great characters... I love how they interact and their chemistry together. Their story was interesting.. well written, great storyline that delivers on the feels and characters that make you care. I loved every page. I am anxious to read more from the series.

I received an advanced reader's copy of the book and I am voluntarily leaving my honest review and recommendation.
Kaila
Sep 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
this was a really good story.. the characters are interesting and kept me on my toes. these two writers came together explosively.. they flowed easily and played off each other beautifully.. i loved it so much.. very well written :)
Ann
Jul 13, 2019 rated it did not like it
Why would you write a story in which a man of color is in a relationship with a REPUBLICAN senator?? why? Anyone thinking people can get along despite different politics certainly has that privilege. This says a lot about the authors.
Elaine Gray
Mar 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
With a twist is an emotional book that deals with grief, coming home, and politics. Will has been estranged with his father for years and after he gets a call about his health he goes home to help his mother. David is a Republican and he is good friends with Will's parents.
Bran Zesti
Feb 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Passionate, gripping a great book. A arrangement of emotions the keep you lock into the story. I think that for a novel you can't go wrong reading this book.
Tim Hobson
Nov 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Couldn't put it down! Can't wait for more!

• Tallowwood (Tallowwood, #1)
  • Prince of Killers (Fog City, #1)
  • King Slayer (Fog City, #2)
  • Best Man (Close Proximity, #1)
  • Broken (Heaven and Hell Club #1)
  • Broken Silence (Rock Bottom, #1)
  • Arctic Heat (Frozen Hearts, #3)
  • Heated Rivalry (Game Changers, #2)
  • A New Empire (Fog City, #3)
  • Blindsided (Fake Boyfriend #4)
  • Lucky (Lucky #1)
  • Goalie Interference (Hat Trick, #2)
  • Free Hand (Irons and Works, #1)
  • American Fairytale (Dreamers, #2)
  • The Fire (Love in O'Leary #4)
  • Kept in the Dark (Locke and Keyes Agency, #1)
  • Raze (Riven, #3)
K. Evan Coles is a mother and tech pirate by day and a writer by night. She is a dreamer who, with a little hard work and a lot of good coffee, coaxes words out of her head and onto paper.

K. lives in the northeast United States, where she complains bitterly about the winters, but truly loves the region and its diverse, tenacious and deceptively compassionate people. Youll usually find K. nerding

The Speakeasy (3 books)
  • Extra Dirty (The Speakeasy #2)
  • Behind the Stick (Speakeasy, #3)