Start by marking “Life After Suicide: Finding Courage, Comfort Community After Unthinkable Loss” as Want to Read:
Life After Suicide: Finding Courage, Comfort  Community After Unthinkable Loss

Life After Suicide: Finding Courage, Comfort Community After Unthinkable Loss

From the chief medical correspondent of ABC News, an eloquent, heartbreaking, yet hopeful memoir of surviving the suicide of a loved one, examining this dangerous epidemic and offering first-hand knowledge and advice to help family and friends find peace.

Jennifer Ashton, M.D., has witnessed firsthand the impact of a loved one’s suicide. When her ex-husband killed himself s
Published May 7th 2019 by William Morrow

To ask other readers questions about Life After Suicide, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Life After Suicide

Carol Storm
Jun 11, 2019 rated it did not like it
My awesome kids, my awesome friends, my awesome dogs, my awesome job . . . it was just much too awesome for a book about grief.
Lee Woodruff
May 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I’ve long admired Dr. Ashton’s smart and informative medical segments on Good Morning America, but it was with shock and sorrow that I learned of the death of her husband by suicide. Her story, written as part memoir, part comforting self-help, is also a survival guide for anyone who has been affected by suicide and loss. Ashton illuminates the stories of others, writing with searing prose about the most painful thing she has ever experienced. She and her husband had amicably agreed to end their ...more
Christine
I really liked the first half, but the second half got repetitive. Her personal narrative was compelling initially but quickly became a little too detailed (and less interesting). I thought the book did a good job of differentiating death versus the stigma of suicide. There was some great practical advice and many heartwarming points:

—Lawrenceville‘s student one group called friends helping friends, made up of students who been through the death of a parent
—would you like me to go with you v I w
Tanaya
May 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars.

"Life is not about avoiding pain, it is about experiencing pain, processing it, learning from it"

It is a delicate line to walk, writing like this. How much can you share, how much can a reader handle at any given time, especially if they have lived through the suicide of a loved one.

The author did a lot of things right with this book. Some was hard to read, some was highlightable and I'll be adding it to my toolbox. I think we all need to read and understand more about suicide, menta
Victoria Garaitonandia
As a survivor of suicide loss, there was some good advice I gleaned from this book. Namely, it is important to seek therapy and community, it is normal to feel crazy, angry, lost, etc. Things will get better but getting back to routine is important. Other than those things, this book really served as a narrative of the author’s personal experience.

I couldn’t relate to the rest- the wealthy Manhattan lifestyle, Harvard College acceptance, tv celebrity, etc. But it just goes to show suicide does n
Kiki
May 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Helpful and comforting to know others who live through the suicide of a loved one experience similar feelings and thoughts....the loss of my brilliant smart 21 yo nephew a month ago left a deep sadness that seems unlikely to ever be fully resolved. I pray and hope that the pain lessens each day with the love and presence of family and friends. Thank you for writing this book. It helped me, a fellow survivor now.
Candy Lievsay
May 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was difficult to listen to, but I wanted to hear her story and the stories of others. Suicide is a difficult subject. I admire everyone who spoke up even if I don't agree with everything stated. We need to do more for those suffering and we all need to have more compassion. I admire Dr. Ashton's bravery as well as the bravery of her children. They will help countless people by sharing their story.
Liz Sergent
May 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I first heard about this book in People Magazine and I vaguely remember when this happened. Very interesting read about celebrity doctor whose husband took his own life by jumping off the George Washington bridge that can be seen from the apartment his family lived in. Pretty heavy stuff.
Betty
May 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent story

A thought provoking read that opens your mind and heart to understanding death not just by suicide. It makes you see through the forest of the pain. God bless all the survivors.
Amanda
May 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great book in knowing you’re not alone. Just so not what I was expecting.
Pat Schwanke
May 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Full of practical advice, by a host of professionals, that would help a person deal with a suicide.
Leslie Jonsson
This offered good advice and referrals for help after the suicide of a loved one.
Caroline Evans
May 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

This book affirmed every emotion I felt after losing my only darling brother . Thank you for saying it how it is and raising awareness x
Bruce Nowacek
Jun 12, 2019
Taylor
Jun 02, 2019
« previous 1 3 next »
Jennifer Ashton is a Board-certified Ob-Gyn, author and TV medical correspondent. She is chief health and medical editor and chief medical correspondent for ABC News and Good Morning America, chief women's health correspondent for The Dr. Oz Show, and a columnist for Cosmopolitan Magazine. She is also a frequent guest speaker and moderator for events raising awareness of women's health issues.

Libr