Start by marking “The Wonder of Lost Causes” as Want to Read:
The Wonder of Lost Causes

The Wonder of Lost Causes

“THE WONDER OF LOST CAUSES is equal parts heart wrenching and heartwarming as Trout pulls you onto an emotional rollercoaster that is sure to leave your heart filled to the brim. A true testament to the power of love in its purest and most absolute form.”
   — Rachael Lippincott, New York Times bestselling author of Five Feet Apart

In this unforgettable novel, perfect for fa
Published April 30th 2019 by William Morrow

To ask other readers questions about The Wonder of Lost Causes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Wonder of Lost Causes

Kylie D
A lovely story about a boy, a dog, and a nasty, incurable disease. Jasper is eleven years old and suffers from cystic fibrosis. He is being raised by his single mum, a veterinarian in an animal shelter. A lot of dogs come through the shelter, but there is only so much room, so after 14 days their time is unfortunately up.

One day a tortured and mutilated mutt called Whistler comes into the shelter, unlikely to be adopted because of his ugliness and scars, yet he and Jasper quickly form an unbrea
Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader
Such a poignant book about love for animals, especially love for dogs! ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐

Dr. Kate Blunt is the single mom of Jasper. Her son has cystic fibrosis, and more than anything, he wants a dog. She tells him no because she has her hands full with his daily care.

Did I mention Kate is a veterinarian? She runs a shelter in Cape Cod, where her passion is finding homes for every dog in need.

Whistler arrives to the shelter one day, and he’s a mess. His scars make him unattractive to potential adopters
Dale Harcombe
May 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Anyone who has ever owned a dog and experienced that special connection that occurs between an owner and a special dog will be instantly drawn into this book as I was. The story is told from two points of view - that of 11 year old Jasper, a boy with cystic fibrosis and his single mum Kate. Jasper has always wanted a dog and his mother has resisted because it brings with it too many other issues, especially with a boy who often struggles to breathe. Kate is a veterinarian at an animal shelter. B ...more
Jordana
A miracle happens early in The Wonder of Lost Causes by Keith Trout. Jasper, an afflicted 11-year-old boy who suffers the horrific respiratory illness Cystic Fibrosis, discovers he has a psychic connection with Whistler, an abused dog in his veterinarian mother’s care at a local Cape Cod kill shelter. Through an unexplainable bond of empathy, Jasper believes he can hear the dog’s thoughts and feel the dog’s feelings.

This dog-boy-whisperer discovery should be a life-altering event, the kind
Mar 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: general-fiction
* Review is of an advanced reader copy

I like animals but, for some reason, I'm not generally crazy about books with animals as the central theme. However, I am very interested in books about cystic fibrosis. Nick Trout's The Wonder of Lost Causes includes both topics.
Make no mistake. This is, first and foremost, a dog book. Anyone who has ever loved a dog will likely lap this right up. The novel is told from alternating points of view; that of eleven-year-old Jasper, a child suffering from cysti
Sue
Apr 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This heartwarming story is perfect for people who love small boys and dogs. Actually it's a fantastic book for anyone. I usually avoid books with dogs on the cover but I won this book and wanted to give it a try. Wow -- I couldn't put it down once I started.

Jasper is an 11 year old boy with cystic fibrosis. He doesn't get to do all of the things other boys his age can do and has few friends. He is aware that he is getting sicker and really wants a dog for a companion. His mother, Kate, is a vete
Kylie Corley
Apr 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was super excited to get the notification that I had won this in a Goodreads giveaway. I knew it would most likely make me cry, and I was right. There were tears of joy, sadness, and frustration. It's more than just a book about a boy and a dog, but about strength and love. This reminded me so much of why I love animals, and why I always gravitated to a career in which I see animals on a daily basis. The part about service dogs had me reliving my Service Dog training classes in college.
If you
Eileen Goudge
May 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Heartwarming

Having loved the author’s previous titles, I had high hopes for this one. I was not disappointed. It’s deeply felt with richly-drawn characters, including a very special dog. Definitely one you’ll need a hankie for.
Karen
Mar 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing, uplifting novel. Feel you know all the characters so well by the end. A pleasure to read
Karyn Niedert
Nick Trout's "The Wonder of Lost Causes" was an absolutely heartwarming tale of a mother's devotion to her son, and her son's devotion to the very special dog that changes their lives.

I absolutely loved that Kate, the mother in this story, is a vet who has no hope of adopting the animals she is charged with caring for. Jasper, her son, has a chronic lung disease that makes pets a huge no no in their household. That doesn't stop son Jasper from hoping and wishing dearly for one. On the day curiou
Shannon Navin
May 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As Mark Twain said, ‘I like a good story, well told…’ That’s exactly how I would describe The Wonder of Lost Causes. Nick Trout presents the story of an 11-year old boy (Jasper) who has Cystic Fibrosis (CF) and lives alone with his veterinarian mother, Kate. Told from alternating viewpoints (Jasper’s and Kate’s) we learn what its like to live with a CF diagnosis and how a very special dog can change a person’s outlook on life!

Kate is (with good reason) a very involved, nervous mother who has sch
Shirley
Mar 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Gloria Cangahuala
I received an ARC in exchange for an unbiased review.

This book had a lot of potential, but it just didn't quite hold together as well as it could have.

Dr. Kate Blunt is a single mom, a veterinarian running an animal shelter in Massachusetts. Her 11-year-old son Jasper has cystic fibrosis. When jasper falls in love with one of the shelter's newly arrived mutts, it's not just a case of a boy's feeling attached to a dog. Jasper and the dog he names Whistler seem to be able to communicate wordlessly
Melissa
Apr 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A child with cystic fibrosis, a mother who wants her son to live a long and healthy life, a dog who desperately needs a home – these are the central figures of The Wonder of Lost Causes but while each can be perceived as such at the beginning of the story, by the end, it’s clear that each of these three beings is exactly who and what they’re meant to be.

Jasper – whom we meet as a young boy – struggles to breathe because of his disease. A family friend is an adult survivor of this illness -one of
Tanya
Apr 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Wonder of Lost Causes is a heart warming story about Dr Kate Blunt, a vet who works in dog shelter, and her son. Jasper is 11 years old and has cystic fibrosis. His condition means a lot of experiences are off limits to Jasper, and Kate will do everything in her power to keep himself.

One day a dog arrives at the shelter. On paper, he's unadoptable. He's of no discernible breed, shows signs of abuse and is scared of the shorter staff. Until he meets Jasper, suddenly the two are inseparable, b
Lnichols
Apr 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Wonder of Lost Causes by Nick Trout, had the best of both worlds, children and dogs! But Whistler is a special dog and Jasper, the boy who connects with Whistler has cystic fibrosis. Odd couple? Out of the ordinary? You bet, but the story line works and the characters for the most part blend well.

Your heart goes out to the children who have CF and the parents who take care of their CF children. Kate, the mother of Jasper, worries that her son cannot have a “normal” life like other kids sinc
Pamela Barrett
May 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Pound, an Animal Shelter, Animal Services; unless it specifies “No Kill” then every animal has a precious little time to find a home or else they will be put down. As a veterinarian, Kate knows at her animal shelter its only two weeks. There just isn’t enough money, or space to save them all. When an older ugly scarred dog comes into the shelter she tries to harden her heart because she knows he’s a lost cause and his time is up. Kate knows something about lost causes, because her son Jasper ...more
Debra Oehlberg
Apr 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I automatically felt like this would be a very interesting story, with the love of Jasper, the cystic fibrosis boy, and Whistler, the abused dog who was looking for his forever home. I was in dread the first 3/4 of the book. It seemed like with all the bad news and turns of events, that there was no way anything good or happy could come out of it. Dr. Kate Blunt, Jasper's mom, was experiencing all kinds of stress from being a single working mom trying to help a struggling veterinary business and ...more
Darth Vix
May 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Wonder of Lost Causes is a contemporary fiction story about a special dog and a special boy who fall in love. It is messy and sad and all kinds of cute.I loved the plot of this story which was surprisingly complicated and had the fur mommy in me in complete joy and tears throughout.

I enjoyed so much about this book. I loved Jasper, his mom Kate, Burt, Martha and a few others. I loooooved Whistler but most of all I loved Jasper and Whistler together. They were magical.
Not only did I love the
Tabitha
May 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Told from the perspective of both mother and son, The Wonder of Lost Causes is a beautiful story about the special bond shared between a young boy and a shelter dog named Whistler.

"Eleven-year-old boys shouldn't have to worry about anything, least of all about staying alive". 11-year-old Jasper desperately wants to adopt Whistler, but his mother Kate worries that getting a dog may affect her son's cystic fibrosis. Though Kate just wants a sense of normalcy for her son, she ironically shelters hi
Susan
May 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First of all, I would like to thank Goodreads for the book and giving me the wonderful opportunity to read this sweet story. The Wonder of Lost Causes is a tender and heartwarming story about a boy with CF and his love for a special dog named Whistler. This is a must read for dog lovers everywhere. I realized by Page 6 that I would need some Kleenex to finish this book. You will soon fall in love with the characters, Dr. Kate Blunt, Jasper, and the star of the book, Whistler. I came away with a ...more
Jessica
Apr 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book-reviews
GBC Review #2

Written in two narratives, a mother and her son, The Wonder of Lost Causes tells a story of how one dog can change a life forever.

Dr. Kate Blunt, a veterinarian, is a single mother with a responsibility, one she takes very seriously, taking care of her son who was diagnosed with cystic fibrosis. His medical care is extensive and it is all she can do to protect him. But there is one thing her son wants most in life that she will not let him have, a dog.

All Jasper wants in life is a
Sherri Fryer
Apr 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved, loved , loved this book! What is not to love when a book is about a kid and a dog? I have to say that I learned what a mother with a child who has CF goes through on a daily basis, definitely not an easy life for either one. As for the dog, who wouldn't want to have one like Whistler? I believe that a special dog only comes into a person's life once in a lifetime, and that is why Jasper and Whistler form such a strong bond.

If you are a dog lover, or even if you're not, you will enjoy t
Rhoda
May 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

I received an Uncorrected Proof from the publisher, which was a lovely surprise - thank you!

This is the heartwarming story of Jasper who is 11 years old and suffers from cystic fibrosis. His mother Kate is a vet at an animal shelter, a single parent and desperate for her son to have a normal, healthy life but at the same time struggles with allowing him to do so.

When a battered and scarred dog named Whistler arrives at the animal shelter, he and Jasper make an instant connection and Jas
Robyn
May 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a wonder. Written by Nick Trout, a renowned veterinary surgeon whose daughter has CF. I’d only read his first book, “Tell Me Where it Hurts”, which I loved, and anxiously awaited this book. Dr. Trout has written a wonderful fictional story about a kid, a single mom, and a dog. All the characters are fully developed, dog included, and I was sucked in from the very beginning. One doesn’t need to be a dog lover to totally enjoy this book. It was a page turner for me, written with a goo ...more
Bobbi
Jan 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you've ever loved a dog or, more importantly, been loved by a dog, please read this novel about Jasper, an eleven year old boy with Cystic Fibrosis, his mom, Kate, and a battle-scarred dog named Whistler. The bond between Jasper and Whistler is awe-inspiring, and the descriptions of how Kate and Jasper cope with his chronic, incurable disease make those experiences REAL. Their story uplifted me, made me laugh, made me cry, made me anxious, and made me remember all the dogs who blessed me by l ...more
Sandra Burns
Mar 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is awesome!!!!!

Woman vet, raising a ill child, has this dog come into their lives. The dog, has been through hell, he is bruised, scarred, and some jerk taped his muzzle shut, leaving scars.

The boy & the dog connect. They tend to talk to one another. Wonder, the dog, is a special dog. He is trained to detect when a person is going to have a seizure.

The Mom, finds out that the company that trained Wonder, wants him back. So, the Mom, son and dog, take a road trip to return him to t
Miriam
May 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I can’t stop smiling and crying as I finish this tear jerker of a book about a boy and his dog.

It’s tender, loving, and oh so beautiful and inspiring a book about finding that perfect dog who helps you learn about the most important things in life, about a life worth living and loving.

Just read it!!

Thanks to the Bookloft of German Village (Columbus, Ohio) http://www.bookloft.com for the ARC. You’ll find a different review on their FB page on May 2, 2019.
Sharon
A struggling single mother must rethink her "no pets" policy when the last dog she would ever pick winds up connecting with her chronically ill son in a way she would never have imagined possible.
Keep the tissues handy, 'cause this story deliberately plays on your feelings, but if you're good with a little emotional blackmail :) you'll devour every heart wrenching scene.

This ARC was provided by William Morrow/HarperCollins, in exchange for an honest review.
Kelly
Apr 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
Like most dog books, I picked this one and immediately knew it was not a matter of if it would make me cry, but when it would make me cry. I was not wrong.
This is a story about a boy and the bond he has with his dog. The old dog has a rough past, the little boy has cystic fibrosis, and his mother is a veterinarian at an animal shelter. And I loved it.
I received a copy of this book as a Goodreads Giveaway.
« previous 1 3 4 next »
I’m from England and I’m a veterinary surgeon working at the Angell Animal Medical Center in Boston, one of the biggest animal hospitals in the world. If I had to sum up the best part of my career in one word it would be ‘unpredictable’ because what’s great about coming to work everyday is the certainty of surprise. It might be a Chihuahua or a Great Dane, a Maine Coon Cat or an iguana. It might b ...more