Start by marking “The Wonder of Lost Causes” as Want to Read:
The Wonder of Lost Causes

The Wonder of Lost Causes

“THE WONDER OF LOST CAUSES is equal parts heart wrenching and heartwarming as Trout pulls you onto an emotional rollercoaster that is sure to leave your heart filled to the brim. A true testament to the power of love in its purest and most absolute form.”
   — Rachael Lippincott, New York Times bestselling author of Five Feet Apart

In this unforgettable novel, perfect for fa
Published April 30th 2019 by William Morrow

To ask other readers questions about The Wonder of Lost Causes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Wonder of Lost Causes

Start your review of The Wonder of Lost Causes
Kylie D
A lovely story about a boy, a dog, and a nasty, incurable disease. Jasper is eleven years old and suffers from cystic fibrosis. He is being raised by his single mum, a veterinarian in an animal shelter. A lot of dogs come through the shelter, but there is only so much room, so after 14 days their time is unfortunately up.

One day a tortured and mutilated mutt called Whistler comes into the shelter, unlikely to be adopted because of his ugliness and scars, yet he and Jasper quickly form an unbrea
Sharon
I really don’t know where to begin with this review only to say that this was a BRILLIANT read and I only wish I could give it a ten start rating. Yes I LOVED it that much.

The Wonder of Lost Causes by Nick Trout is a magnificent story of a woman named Kate who works as an veterinarian at an animal shelter and is a single parent raising her son, Jasper. Sadly Jasper is suffering from the horrible disease of Cystic Fibrosis.

Working at the animal shelter can be a rewarding job, but it can also be
Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader
Such a poignant book about love for animals, especially love for dogs! ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️

Dr. Kate Blunt is the single mom of Jasper. Her son has cystic fibrosis, and more than anything, he wants a dog. She tells him no because she has her hands full with his daily care.

Did I mention Kate is a veterinarian? She runs a shelter in Cape Cod, where her passion is finding homes for every dog in need.

Whistler arrives to the shelter one day, and he’s a mess. His scars make him unattractive to potential adop
DJ Sakata
Favorite Quotes:

Mrs. Fisher is a big, bosomy woman, with wild bushy eyebrows worthy of a cold war Russian president.

Grandma kind of scares me. She wears bright red lipstick like a hungry vampire, never smiles, and bathes in so much old lady perfume that even I can smell it. Her feet, if she has any, are always hidden under long skirts and dresses, but I think she levitates, never making a sound, able to appear from nowhere.

Loving a dog is not like picking up a remote and turning a TV on or off.
Dale Harcombe
May 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Anyone who has ever owned a dog and experienced that special connection that occurs between an owner and a special dog will be instantly drawn into this book as I was. The story is told from two points of view - that of 11 year old Jasper, a boy with cystic fibrosis and his single mum Kate. Jasper has always wanted a dog and his mother has resisted because it brings with it too many other issues, especially with a boy who often struggles to breathe. Kate is a veterinarian at an animal shelter. B ...more
Marianne
May 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Wonder of Lost Causes is the sixth book by British-born American veterinary surgeon and author, Dr. Nick Trout. The dog is ugly, a big, black Heinz 57+ mutt, a neutered male, definitely no pup, and when he arrives at the shelter, he is liberally scarred, and missing some toes and teeth. The chip says he is from Wellfleet, and his name is Lucky. But he has been on the receiving end of abuse, that much is clear.

The shelter vet, Dr. Kate Blunt, is concerned about his behaviour: detached and ski
Jordana
A miracle happens early in The Wonder of Lost Causes by Keith Trout. Jasper, an afflicted 11-year-old boy who suffers the horrific respiratory illness Cystic Fibrosis, discovers he has a psychic connection with Whistler, an abused dog in his veterinarian mother’s care at a local Cape Cod kill shelter. Through an unexplainable bond of empathy, Jasper believes he can hear the dog’s thoughts and feel the dog’s feelings.

This dog-boy-whisperer discovery should be a life-altering event, t
Janine
May 28, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My first book by Nick Trout and it was a lovely story.
Mar 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: general-fiction
* Review is of an advanced reader copy

I like animals but, for some reason, I'm not generally crazy about books with animals as the central theme. However, I am very interested in books about cystic fibrosis. Nick Trout's The Wonder of Lost Causes includes both topics.
Make no mistake. This is, first and foremost, a dog book. Anyone who has ever loved a dog will likely lap this right up. The novel is told from alternating points of view; that of eleven-year-old Jasper, a child suffering from cysti
Theresa Smith
Jun 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another dog book. And we all know what I’m like with these! This is my first time reading Nick Trout, more’s the pity, because I think I’ve been missing out on something pretty special. The Wonder of Lost Causes is a fairly long novel, well over 400 pages, which seems a lot for a dog book, but really, it almost wasn’t long enough, that’s how good this novel was.

“I succumb to a new round of tears, biting down on my knuckles, trying to be quiet, certain of just one thing. The mistakes of the past,
Sue
Apr 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This heartwarming story is perfect for people who love small boys and dogs. Actually it's a fantastic book for anyone. I usually avoid books with dogs on the cover but I won this book and wanted to give it a try. Wow -- I couldn't put it down once I started.

Jasper is an 11 year old boy with cystic fibrosis. He doesn't get to do all of the things other boys his age can do and has few friends. He is aware that he is getting sicker and really wants a dog for a companion. His mother, Kate, is a vete
Lisa N
Aug 02, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: animal-stories
The story of a sickly boy and his Mom and the special dog that finds its way into their lives. This book gives you a glimpse into what life is like for families with Cystic Fibrosis and the difference service dogs can make in the families that need them. The author is a father to a child with CF so he knows the subject well. Told in alternating chapters from the Mother and the child’s POV. This book was a little long winded but I still found it a charming and interesting read.
Sharah McConville
The Wonder Of Lost Causes is a wonderful, poignant story. Jasper, an 11 year old boy, suffers from cystic fibrosis. His single Mum, Dr. Kate, is a Vet working at an animal shelter. Whistler is a big, black, ugly dog that comes into the shelter and changes Jasper's life. I loved this book by real life Vet Nick Trout. Thanks to Allen & Unwin for my ARC. ...more
Parhelion
The story of a boy with cystic fibrosis, his single, stressed veterinarian mother and a stray dog that arrives at their animal shelter. This book was an easy and enjoyable read, but there were frustrating parts that made it drop from being fantastic to just OK.

Let's start with the good. It was easy to read. The story never dragged and did keep me wanting to turn the next page. The first half was well paced and when ever I put the book down it was easy to pick it up again. The book also explored
Vicki Haid
Jan 29, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, book-club-books
This was on my radar as a TBR book months before my grandson, Henry was diagnosed with Cystic Fibrosis.
I have read several fictional stories now with CF characters as a way to glean some educational info with being able to walk away and say it was fiction.

The Wonder of Lost Causes was picked by our book club, as our January read. I thought I could do it no problem. Then days before I spent a weekend with my superhero grandson, 5 month old Henry. Hearing his daily struggles with just breathing no
Leona
Jun 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This story was captivating, particularly the special relationship Jasper and Whistler had. I do believe communication happens on so many different levels. I can definitely imagine this as a film, the book was so descriptive I felt I could visualize the settings and scenes. I became invested in all the characters and hope the author will write a sequel to fill us in on what happens between this story ending and the epilogue. Thank you for this lovely story.
Lesley
Jun 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book!

I'm not a dog person, but would never stand by and see one abused, but this book is just delightful, and very obviously written from a very personal perspective.

It has passages from Mom which are long and rambling, and I did skip over those. I was far more interested in Jasper and Whistler, and although it's a story about the journey of all three, the rambling passages weren't needed.

Enjoy it!

Emily Chason
Apr 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is one of the best that I have ever read. I am visually impaired
and have listened/read so many books and this one has made a lasting impression on me. This book is telling a similar story of mine.
Anne
Jul 31, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a really sweet book about the power of a dog’s love. It is well-written from the point of view of 11 year old Jasper, who has cystic fibrosis, and his veterinarian mom, who has lived her whole life with the sole purpose of keeping her son alive.
Jo-jean Keller
Sep 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Emotional, heartwarming and optimistic!
Bradley'S Book
Jan 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book-club-books
Book club loved this one! What a great read and discussion, lead by manager Vicki.
Thank you to Nick Trout for the writing that touched us all.
Tundra
May 30, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
2 stars. I really wanted to like this book for its genuine compassion however I really struggled to maintain interest and did a lot of skimming. The dual narrative meant that there was way to much repetition of events from Jasper and his mother and this subsequently caused the plot to drag. I could have done with half the story.
Jane Night
Aug 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Synopsis: Jasper is a boy with Cystic Fibrosis is being raised by a single mother. He has never been allowed to have a dog before even though he has desperately wanted one. One day Whistler, an older dog with scars and who has obviously been through a lot, comes into the shelter where Jasper's mother works and the ha and Whistler form an instant, perhaps supernatural, connection.

My Rating:
5/5

Before I begin my review I did want to mention that I won this book through a library things giveaway.
Carol
Apr 27, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book-club
This is a story about a boy and his dog. The dog has been through trauma and abuse – or so it appears. The boy has Cystic Fibrosis, a fatal lung condition. The boy and the dog immediately form an almost supernatural connection. The boy cannot keep the dog, and it will likely be euthanized in 14 days because who would want this big ugly dog that keeps running away from home (until he meets Jasper the boy).

The story jumps back and forth between Jasper and his Mom Kate. Kate cannot let Whistler (th
Liz V.
Oct 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Kate, a veterinary, works for a small, and underfunded, animal shelter that cannot afford to upgrade to no-kill status. Kate has shielded her son, Jasper, from the 14th-day dogs that will have to be put down but allowed Jasper to work with other dogs. By chance, however, Jasper connects with Lucky, aka Whistler, who has visible scars of abuse and a cough like Jasper's. Kate knows how much Jasper wants Whistler but, as a single mother of a chronically ill child, Kate senses that one more responsi ...more
Carrie Echols
Sep 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Single mother Kate has her hands full with her son Jasper, who has cystic fibrosis, and her veterinary work in an animal shelter. Jasper has longed for a dog of his own, but Kate is adamant that they cannot have one. Then a big, scarred ,rough dog shows up at the shelter and Jasper and the dog have an instant connection. Jasper says the dog's name is Whistler, he says he can communicate with the dog, but his mom is unsure about all this. They can tell the dog has been abused, apparently his mout ...more
Severina
Oct 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A young boy with cystic fibrosis helps out after school with his vet-mom and really wants to adopt a dog.

Jasper has cystic fibrosis. His single mother Kate balances her busy life managing an animal shelter with taking care of Jasper, frequent weeks-long hospital visits, and making ends meet. According to her there isn't room in their life for a dog. But then Jasper meets Whistler, an older dog that has been abused, and forms an immediate connection.

The point of view switches between the Jasper
Merrill Medansky
Oct 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
I don't have a dog; I'm not a dog lover; and I probably would turn away from a scarred and tattered multi-mix mutt. Whistler is a shelter dog who inexplicably connects with Jasper, a boy with cystic fibrosis, to the dismay of Jasper's mom who is the veterinarian of the limit (not a "no-kill") shelter.

This book addresses how we make decisions based on appearances and first impressions: a Hell's angel biker, a homeless person wearing a nice watch, a medical professional addicted to prescription d
Debra
Aug 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Talk about timing. I had this book on hold for a long time and then VIOLA! it appeared right before a weekend and that being the weekend that I felt crummy with a summer cold. What is there to do but read!
A touching, modern day story about a single hard-working Mom and her child who has CF. The story alternates between Kate, who runs a animal shelter, and her son who is obsessed about owning a day but cannot have one because it is just one thing too many for his mom to handle. But along comes W
Laura Antonelli
Jan 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best books I have read in awhile. My eyes are now puffy and I may need to throw out and change my contacts before I leave. 🙄😂
This story is about a boy with cystic fibrosis who connects with a "day 14 dog" at his mom's animal shelter. Whistler survived an F4 tornado and then was severely abused. And his mom fights her son Jasper at every turn about why they should not adopt him. Can't say too much more other than it also involves service dogs. This was our January book club book and th
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Daughter of Bad Times
  • The Accidentals
  • The Oysterville Sewing Circle
  • St. Francis Society for Wayward Pets
  • True to Me (By the Sea)
  • A Man of His Own
  • Needled to Death (A Helping Hands Mystery, #1)
  • The Dog I Loved
  • The Summer Cottage
  • The Last List of Miss Judith Kratt
  • The Family Next Door: The Heartbreaking Imprisonment of the Thirteen Turpin Siblings and Their Extraordinary Rescue
  • My Ex-Best Friend's Wedding
  • An Awful Cat-titude (MEOW FOR MURDER Book 1)
I’m from England and I’m a veterinary surgeon working at the Angell Animal Medical Center in Boston, one of the biggest animal hospitals in the world. If I had to sum up the best part of my career in one word it would be ‘unpredictable’ because what’s great about coming to work everyday is the certainty of surprise. It might be a Chihuahua or a Great Dane, a Maine Coon Cat or an iguana. It might b ...more

News & Interviews

“Dogs choose us, not the other way around.” 3 likes
“When you cry about losing a dog, it means the dog did its job. It means the dog made a connection.” 3 likes