Start by marking “Lambslide” as Want to Read:
Lambslide

Lambslide

In a hilarious picture book from bestselling author Ann Patchett and bestselling illustrator Robin Preiss Glasser, a pack of overly confident lambs set out to find a slide made just for them.

On the farm there was a flock of lambs who believed that everything was done especially for them....

So when they overhear Nicolette and the rest of the Farmer family say something
Published May 7th 2019 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about Lambslide, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lambslide

Start your review of Lambslide
Abigail
Jul 14, 2019 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Readers Looking for Fun New Picture-Books Introducing Some Civics Lessons
Award-winning adult novelist Ann Patchett tries her hand at children's literature with this debut picture-book, in which a group of lambs misunderstand the word "landslide," and decide they need a slide themselves. Their wise mother instructs them to gather the opinions of the other farm animals, and then to appeal to the Farmer family, and all goes well...

A sweet, lighthearted story from Patchett is paired here with adorable artwork from Robin Preiss Glasser, the illustrator of such favorites
Alice-Elizabeth (marriedtobooks)
Listened to the audiobook via BookBeat UK!

Lambslide is a children's picture book, however, the audiobook edition was very good and easy to follow. A quick read about a group of young lambs who start a campaign to build and play on their very own slide on the farm they live in. I can say that kids will love this animalistic read for sure!
Karan
Oct 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fun. Tidy explanation community engagement and decision-making, as they might work. See Alan's review for how we came to find this book, and thanks to Alan for passing it on to me.
Now I'll take it over the the Shamsa's for reading out loud!
Abby Johnson
This super cute picture book is a great primer for young kids on how to get involved and enact changes in their community. When the lambs on the farm mishear the word "landslide" as "lambslide", they decide they DO need a lambslide. But how can they make it happen? Mama sheep advises them to start by consulting stakeholders and talking to community members, figure out where the funding will come from, etc. It's a civics lesson successfully packaged into an adorable farm story and relevant in ...more
Shari
May 14, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrensbooks
Acclaimed author of books for adults and bookstore proprietor, Ann Patchett tries her hand at writing a children's book. Her efforts are bolstered by Robin Preiss, illustrator of the Fancy Nancy books. It's a cute story about lambs who want a "lambslide." It's a bit didactic with all of the values we want children to learn: cooperation, collaboration, sharing, considering others.
Jeremy
Jun 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
At the Barnes & Noble story time in Silverdale, Washington. The story lady was great!
Carol
May 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Ann Patchett’s first children’s book. Delightful!’
Kimberly Wright Oelkers
May 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book
Cute, fun book from my favorite illustrator!
Kristian
Jul 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019-books
This was SO CUTE.
Alan Teder
A Vote for Lambslide
Review of the Harper Collins Children's hardcover (2019)

I found out about Ann Patchett's emerging career as a children's picture book writer at her recent book tour for The Dutch House. While discussing the current adult novel, Patchett included a whirlwind listing of other writers and books which she had recently enjoyed. This included her new children's book projects on which she had been encouraged by artist Robin Preiss Glasser who is also the artist in this first book.
Raven Black
May 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Typical book about kids being kids. Or lambs being lambs. They find an issue (they want a lambslide), poll the other farm animals, have a vote and figure out a way to get 'er done! With a little help from the Farmers and other animals, of course. Modern sentiment (the mother sheep thinks lambs should solve their own issues when they can) and a few puns (landslide/lambslide) most young kids (a few adults, too) will get a kick out of this first picture book by an adult author. Fans of hers of ...more
Kareena
May 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: storytime
An interesting way of introducing kids to politics. It was a fun story, good for a farm themed story time for older kids. Definitely preschool +.
Terri
Oct 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
I heard Ann Patchett speak last week as part of the Pen Pal Series. Her presentation was stellar - about the interconnectedness and synchronicity of what it takes to get a book written and published, from beginning to end - particularly, "The Dutch House," her most recent publication. In the course of her presentation, she also mentioned her recently published first picture book..."Lambslide"...so, of course, I had to read it.

I like the idea of this book - the "lambslide"/"landslide" word play.
Amanda
Sep 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: me-and-ozman
Selfishly I picked this for Ozman knowing that the author is one of my faves. I was not disappointed. It was a bit advanced for him, since I haven't had a chance to teach him about elections and politics other than hearing me hiss at the TV occasionally. He has voted with us before, but we had a snafu last year where neither of us were registered where we thought we were so Oz didn't get to go with us to vote.

ANYWAY that said I really liked the story, it was cute and very well done, and fit
Brittany
Aug 20, 2019 rated it liked it
Let me start out by saying that the illustrations were absolutely marvelous! They reminded me so much of the Fancy Nancy illustrations that I almost got too caught up in them. It reminded me of a mixture of Ree Drummond meets Fancy Nancy. As for the story itself, I was just not overly impressed. Yes, it was a cute story about lambs wanting a slide, but the text just seemed so wordy right from the very first page. Take a chance on this one and decide for yourself. The illustrations will suck you ...more
Pam
Jun 09, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
The lambs think the world revolves around them. They hear that the farmer's daughter is running for president and her mom says she'll win by a landslide. They hear lambslide and decide they want one.
Their mom is a wise sheep and encourages them to learn and think for themselves. They must also get approval from the other animals before presenting their idea to the farmers. The slide is voted on and okayed and created. All animals - even the humans - get to play on it.
Humorous ending as one lamb
Reader50
I’m a big fan of the author’s novels so, of course, I was curious and eager to read her first book for children. When the farmer’s daughter set out to win her class election by a landslide, the lambs on the farm heard “lambslide” and decided they too wanted one for themselves and proceeded to make it a reality gaining support from the other farm inhabitants. The story was charming, had humor and lovely illustrations. 3 1/2 stars from this reader.
Jenna (Bookiemoji)
May 25, 2019 rated it liked it
Cute, but surprisingly without a refined focus on the theme of the novel. Spoiled, self-center lambs remain spoiled, self-centered lambs. The voting part of the plot feels tacked onto the end, making it difficult to understand the connection between the purpose of making the slide for not only the lambs, but for all. The illustrations are adorable and kids adore the lambs, but this feels too loosely put together, disjointed. A cute first entry for Ann Patchett, regardless.
Sandy Brehl
The title may have over-elected my expectations, but I found I was just a bit disappointed in this book. It's a delight in the word-play and misunderstanding on the part of ego-centric little lambs, but my reaction to it was one of "too much of a good thing". The farm family, bucolic setting, and flowery-sweet lambs felt just a bit overdone, perhaps a bit dated. It will certainly find countless fans and even inspire some slip-and-slide play with family and pets.
Kate Johnson
Oct 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Wonderful book. Purchased 3 copies for grandchildren and because Ann Patchett is my favorite author and it was with such joy that I was able to hear her speak about The Dutch House in Elkins Park, PA, where that book takes place and where I live currently. Anyway, read Lambslide for the first time to 3 1/2 yr old grandson past his bedtime and he was riveted! Went back page by page to find Ann's dog Sparky. Beautiful illustrations.
Allie Outhouse
Aug 01, 2019 rated it it was ok
It was a cute concept poorly executed. The images had too many sketch lines to be adorable, bordering on terrifying or a 3D film without the glasses in some corners. Nevertheless, the emotion was clear and inviting. The ending was foreshadowed and the plot was unresolved with less wordplay than anticipated. A landslide was never actually described. Good for a one-time read but not really worth purchasing.
Juliana Lee
Nicolette Farmer wants to run for class president. Her mother thinks she'll win by a landslide, but the lambs thought she had said 'lambslide'. The lambs polled the other animals about getting a lamb slide. Everyone was in agreement as long as it didn't affect them adversely. They asked the Farmers who agreed to have an election. After the votes were counted, the lambs won by a landslide. The Farmers built a giant slide and everyone enjoyed it.
Sheri
Jun 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
The lambs on this farm think they are more important than all the other animals. And when they hear a family member is running for class president and the word "landslide," they think they should have a "lambslide." The farmer makes them a slide. Fun illustrations to see the lambs sliding downhill and looking gleeful. The illustrations are colorful and very detailed and give the reader a lot to look for.
Jo Oehrlein
Sep 15, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Cute, but I wouldn't say it's funny/hilarious.

The lambs on the farm hear the word landslide and think they hear lambslide. That makes them want one. There's a lot of surveying and voting and asking for help and eventually a lambslide that everyone can enjoy is built on the farm.

Portrays all the animals as very self-centered (pigs only care if their mud will be covered up, etc.). The lambs are very entitled and think everything is about them.
Janice
Aug 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s, 2019-read
I loved the illustrations in this book, showing both the mother and father in this family busy in the daily work of the farm. There was not the usual separation by gender that children's books too often employ, as this one showed the mom pitching hay and stacking bales along with everyone else.
Jaymie
May 13, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5 stars. Cute! I loved the description of the lambs at the start - how they assumed everything revolved around them. The description was clever. The slide process and the ultimate solution were fun as well.
Kate Kosek
Jul 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is cute. I like Ann Patchett and think it's great she wrote a children's book. Includes lessons children should learn. Not completely developed as a story, but little readers won't care about that. The illustration style works well with the writing.
Colorado Buck
Jun 12, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-picture
pretty unrealistic but very cute. a lamb wants to add a slide on to their farm and have all the animals play on the farm. was a good story. imaginative. lots of farm animals in there too. could maybe use for storytime.
Alice
Jul 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
5 stars - too cute! the Farmers' daughter is running for class president. her parents think she will win by a landslide. The lambs on the farm hear "lambslide" and want one. Mama Ewe says they must poll the other animals at the farm and barnyard democracy is born.
Maria Caplin
Jul 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I like the playfulness of the story. The opportunity for conversations about how do students accomplish a goal that appears bigger than them. Great for writing workshop all the components including sequence, dialogue, and word work. Doesn’t hurt that it’s set on a farm ...more
« previous 1 3 next »

• Max Attacks
  • Bear Came Along
  • If I Was the Sunshine
  • The Last Peach
  • What Kind of Car Does a T. Rex Drive?
  • A Stone Sat Still
  • Once Upon a Goat
  • Unicorn Day
  • High Five
  • Unicorn Is Maybe Not So Great After All
Patchett was born in Los Angeles, California. Her mother is the novelist Jeanne Ray.

She moved to Nashville, Tennessee when she was six, where she continues to live. Patchett said she loves her home in Nashville with her doctor husband and dog. If asked if she could go any place, that place would always be home. "Home is ...the stable window that opens out into the imagination."

Patchett attended