Start by marking “Last Things” as Want to Read:
Last Things

Last Things

When strange things start happening to local music idol Anders Thorson, everyone blames his number-one-fan, Thea. But is she out to hurt him? Or protect him?

High school senior Anders Thorson is unusually gifted. His band, Last Things, is legendary in their northern Minnesota hometown. With guitar skills that would amaze even if he weren’t only eighteen, Anders is the focus
Published May 7th 2019 by Greenwillow Books

Start your review of Last Things
megs_bookrack
Apr 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs-read
**3.5-stars rounded up**

Anders Thorson is a rock god.

Okay, not actually a rock god, per se, but he is the front-man of a band, Last Things, and they do have a regular gig at a coffee shop in their Northern Minnesota town.

Sooooo, not bad for a high school kid.

Thea Malcolm is the new girl in town but has quickly become Anders number one fan. She shows up every where he goes, never approaching, just quietly lurking in the background.

When bad things begin to happen to Anders and those closest to h
Carrie
May 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: edelweiss
Last Things by Jacqueline West is a standalone young adult fantasy read that just oozes mystery and intrigue along the way. The story is told with a dual point of view alternating between the two main characters of Anders Thorson and Thea Malcom.

Anders is a teenage rock god… well an aspiring one. Anders fronts the band Last Things with a couple of his friends. The guys have a permanent gig at a local bar and have gained a huge following for their small neck of the woods but have made a pact to n
Kat
This book is AMAZING and perfect for Halloween! Twisted and delightfully descriptive and creepy. Anders plays in a metal band in rural, wooded Minnesota. Thea is a shadow at his every performance at the local coffeehouse. Everyone whispers that her aunt is a witch. Everyone says Thea is his stalker. Which, pretty much, she is. But is Thea trying to protect Anders, is she obsessed with him, or is she out to hurt him?

The writing is soooo good, the use of unreliable narrators leaving you questioni
Jacqueline West
Dec 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
A biased review, I admit -- but this is honestly my favorite book I've ever written, and I'm thrilled that it will be heading out into the real world very soon. Thanks, readers.
Christie«SHBBblogger»

Title: Last Things
Series: Standalone
Author: Jacqueline West
Release date: May 7, 2019
Cliffhanger: No
Genre: YA fantasy

Jacqueline West explains in the author's note that this story is inspired by the legend of blues singer Robert Johnson, the man who's told to have sold his soul to the devil for his musical talent. She gives it her own metal band spin with a high schooler who has rocketed to fame in a small town in Minnesota. I'm not a metal fan, but those who are will find a lot of references in
FTLOReading
This was ok. The first half of the book is incredibly slow. Once we hit about 53% into the book it finally starts to take off. Full review to come
Amy
Mar 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I LOVED this book! It gave me the same creepy feelings as when I read The Hazel Wood. I loved the character development, the superb writing, and the focus on music. I do wish the cover better portrayed the sophisticated writing and storytelling--it looks too cartoon-ish and doesn't match the tone of the story. Regardless, Jacqueline West's writing is so compelling. I don't know about you, but so much of why I love a book is how immersed I feel while reading. Let me say, I was on cruise ship whil ...more
Nia •ShadesOfPaper•
“Each note is a scream
The drone is deafening
Beat beat beat
Until the truth is beaten.”

I thought the premise of this book sounded absolutely brilliant and I went into it with such high expectations, and I was so let down by it, unfortunately, because even though the concept sounded incredible and like something that I would love, the execution of the book was quite underwhelming.

It took me a while to get used to the writing style that was in Last Things, because descriptions are kind o
Diana
The premise of the book seemed really captivating, but when I began reading I couldn't help but find Thea was a bit stalker-ish and a lot creepy. I know the author wanted to unveil her mistery bit by bit, but I don't know, all it conveyed to me was an obssession with the main male character, Anders.
While the writting isn't bad, I have to say that ythe characters lacked depth for me, and all of them were quite archetypical: hot guys who is famous but who struggles, awkward girl with powers there
Matt Pavloff
Last Things is a Faustian tale told in through two perspectives. Anders is a local rock legend. Only 18 years old, he's already garnered nationwide attention for his incredible skill on the guitar, songwriting prowess, and perfect voice for the metal scene. But Anders' gift wasn't earned--it was given. And now he's seeing that this gift comes with a heavy price. We also have Thea, a mysterious newcomer in town who seems like the newest obsessed fan--but she's much, much more. Her goal is to save ...more
Ann N.
Nov 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was excellent! West’s descriptions are so vivid that I will be walking around with her settings (especially the woods!) and characters in my head for weeks now. Set aside some time to read this one without interruptions. The entire story is absorbing and suspenseful, but once you hit the last 100 pages you won’t be able to set the book down.
Olivia
Apr 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: yabc-reviews
Find my full review here: http://www.yabookscentral.com/yaficti...

LAST THINGS is a YA fantasy that follows two teens, Anders and Thea, in alternating points-of-view. Anders is the vocalist, guitarist, and songwriter for the metal band, Last Things, which also includes his BFFs Patrick and Jezz. Anders’s talent is world-class, bigger than the small town where he lives and plays. Together (but mostly with Anders’s feelings), they decided not to make any money from their playing until after they gr
Jessica
May 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Okay friends, this book was a ride! Let's start with that, because I'm still trying to put together all my thoughts into a coherent review and that's forefront on my mind. It's always a breath of fresh air to read something outside the lines, to read something that is atmospheric and intriguing. That's this book, perfectly described. Last Things is what I've been waiting for, and it was a darn good way to start the month.

Let's talk characters. Anders Thorson is now one of my favorite male charac
Linda
May 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Edge. of. my. seat. Flipping pages until 2am. This story simply hummed!
Everything about it was electrifying. I loved the metal song lyrics. I loved the progression, the way that it unfolded. The characters, the dawning, the realization.
Even if you don't like mysteries, or if you don't like metal music, you will still want to read this.
It's not a mystery, per se. It is simply a story of a boy. He's got some skills, shall we say. He may have made a mistake. Everything is not as it seems, and neit
Brenda
Jul 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, 2019, young-adult
Last Things alternates between chapters of Thea and Anders, slowly revealing the main plot, always with a hint of mystery and suspense. There's an overall eerieness that I thoroughly enjoyed. The woods almost take on a life of their own, they have an ominous, dark, mysterious even dangerous quality to them. They contain a darkness that is watching, lurking, preying on peoples strongest desires and insecurities. Couple that with Thea's almost obsessive fascination with Anders and her earliest des ...more
Rachel
Jun 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a unique, well written plot, book with suspense and mystery. This book is on the creepy/thriller side which is a genre I don't usually read, but by the time it got really creepy, I was already hooked and had the know how it would end.
menna
Oct 02, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
there's nothing that's really wrong with this, I'm not sure if it's "it's not you, it's me" situation but I can't say exactly what I didn't like about this. I didn't hate it exactly I just felt lukewarm about everything and couldn't care about what was happening.
Angela
May 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In a small town deep in the northwoods, metal guitarist Anders Thorson and his band, Last Things, are about to be the next big thing. But there’s something uncanny about his ability, and there’s something in the woods. This is freaking great!
Kris
May 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I got a really creepy vibe from this book, but also found it very fun to read. I liked the supernatural elements throughout the book, I thought it brought a lot of different aspects to the story. I also enjoyed the inclusion of a lot of the lyrics from the songs they were singing at the Crow’s Nest.

The story is told in alternating perspectives, one being Anders who is the lead singer of the band Last Things, the other being the new girl in town, Thea. Anders is the typical brooding musician at t
Michael
Apr 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
I got offered an ARC without even knowing what title it would be. This book showed up a couple weeks ago.

It sounded interesting and is out soon, so I plopped down with it about 2 1/2 hours ago. I couldn't put it down, as it teases the reader perfectly with the mystery behind the male protagonist Anders and him being a music prodigy leading a metal band.Then there is Thea, who is super intriguing and has her own interesting past.

Jacqueline West describes since with the right amount of detail th
Christina
Jun 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Popsugar 2019 Reading Challenge: A book with no chapters/unusual chapter headings /unconventionally numbered chapters

Dude. DUDE! THIS BOOK.

I think Jacqueline West may actually be magic, because she managed to tap into my adolescent brain. This book felt EXACTLY like something I would have dreamed up as a 15 year-old (although, you know, well written and an actual book instead of "oh wow this would be a neat idea"). It is so good. It bypassed my regular book brain and dove straight into the place
Ryan
Dec 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing. The perfect blend of frightening and musical. Jacqueline's poetry background shines in the lyrics, and her real-world metal band inspirations are evident in the band she's created. It's a love letter to the North Woods, as well as to off beat metal clubs and the kids in that scene.
Melanie  Brinkman
Oct 21, 2019 added it
Shelves: own-w
Are your dreams worth sacrificing your reality?

High schooler Anders Thorson is legendary... at least in his northern Minnesota hometown. At eighteen, he's blessed with talents that have helped his band, Last Things, score regular gigs and growing fame. Newcomer Thea Malcolm shows up to everywhere he goes. When strange things start happening around Anders - including the disappearance of his cat, his sort of girlfriend, and his musical gift, blame falls on Thea. Just what is she trying to do? Can
Alex Pippenger
Stacy Fetters
May 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
”But when you’re empty inside, dark things will find a place inside of you."

What would you give up to have everything you have ever dreamed of?

Anders wanted fame, fortune, and to be a guitar master. One day, he got exactly what he asked for but it came with a dire price.

Last Things has potential to be one of the largest bands in the world. All of their shows bring people into this small coffee bar that’s located near the woods and people come from all over to see Anders.

Thea sits in that coff
Crossroads Library
This review is posted on both my personal account and the Crossroads Public Library account.

Actual Rating: 4.25

This was a fun and spooky read. (view spoiler) I listen to a lot of metal and I definitely appreciated that a) the author referenced relevant bands and b) that Anders was a metal snob (but that's because I am sometimes a music snob in general and I felt vindicated by his opinions.)

Thea had the worst lot in
Roxanne
May 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
I received this Arc from Greenwillow press. Thank you for a copy in exchange for a fair review.

Thea seems obsessed with Anders, she goes to every show and she follows him after every show. No one really knows who she except that she is related to the crazy lady on the woods. But Thea knows that there were dark things in the woods and only she can save him. Or can she?

Andrea doesn't even think of his stalker, he just wants to play music. He will do anything to be a star. Or would he?

I have to be
Kelli
Jul 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Actual Rating: 4.25

Thea had the worst lot in life and my heart aches all over for her. I can't say much else without ruining the unreliab
gelowmichael
May 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a surprise because I liked it a lot.

I kinda felt a Dark Placesvibe because of the theme it tackles and the whole drive of this novel. I really liked the characters especially Thea and Anders. I thought this would be another cliche YA because it is kinda YA within 40% of the book but creepy at its best till the end.

I am surprised by what the author intends for Thea's character. I never thought that major twist. I kinda felt a Stephen King twist at the end but it is not.

Last Things was
Shawna  Wood (A Girl and Her Books)
I was in the worst reading slump and haven't wanted to pick up a book to read in about six months. then I picked up Last Things and I found one of my favorite reads of the year and my slump officially over.

I loved how this book was inspired by an obscure urban legend. It was so creative and different to see a story inspire by Robert Johnson who many believed sold his soul to the devil. It was different and unique which helped make for a fun and different read. I wish more authors would find les
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Cracking the Bell
  • Ordinary Girls
  • Teeth in the Mist
  • Heartwood Box
  • The Beckoning Shadow (The Beckoning Shadow, #1)
  • Here There Are Monsters
  • Hello Girls
  • Now Entering Addamsville
  • Destroy All Monsters
  • The Tenth Girl
  • Just Breathe
  • Mind Games
  • Nocturna (A Forgery of Magic #1)
  • Sorry For Your Loss
  • Last Girl Lied To
  • In The Woods
  • The Light at the Bottom of the World (Light the Abyss, #1)
  • Dark Shores (Dark Shores, #1)

News & Interviews