Start by marking “Pride, Prejudice, and Other Flavors” as Want to Read:
Pride, Prejudice, and Other Flavors

Pride, Prejudice, and Other Flavors

(The Rajes #1)

3.69  ·  Rating details ·  6,318 ratings  ·  1,246 reviews
Award-winning author Sonali Dev launches a new series about the Rajes, an immigrant Indian family descended from royalty, who have built their lives in San Francisco...

It is a truth universally acknowledged that only in an overachieving Indian American family can a genius daughter be considered a black sheep.

Dr. Trisha Raje is San Francisco’s most acclaimed neurosurgeon. B
Published May 7th 2019 by William Morrow Paperbacks

To ask other readers questions about Pride, Prejudice, and Other Flavors, please sign up.
Rebekah
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Pamela Depends on what you want out of it. If you want to read a good book, no. If you want to see how it takes that story to a new century and world, then y…moreDepends on what you want out of it. If you want to read a good book, no. If you want to see how it takes that story to a new century and world, then yes. (less)

·  6,318 ratings  ·  1,246 reviews

Start your review of Pride, Prejudice, and Other Flavors
peachygirl
May 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2019
Now this is the kind of retelling that doesn't make me want to pull my hair out!
I've read so many variations of P&P and never have I been this satisfied with one. Sonali Dev has successfully delivered an awesome, gender-swapped retelling of everyone's favourite love story, with exotic Indian flavours and beautifully believable characters.

Dr.Trisha Raje, the proud and acclaimed Neurosurgeon, is our female Mr.Darcy, trying to save the world, one brain at a time. Darcy James Caine aka DJ Caine, po
Sahitya
Mostly a 3.5.

I had read books by this author before, but long ago that I don’t remember much about them. However, when I read the synopsis for this one and realized it’s a desi retelling of P&P, I was just so happy. I also loved that this was set in US, because I can relate more to diaspora stories these days than those set completely in India. And this one both impressed and frustrated the hell out of me.

Trisha is an accomplished neurosurgeon who takes immense pride in her job but is quite soc
Leigh Kramer
I keep going back and forth on the rating. This might be 2.5 stars or it might be solidly 3. I can't decide.

I’ve enjoyed Sonali Dev’s romance novels so I was curious what I would think of her women’s fiction, particularly one that is Pride And Prejudice-inspired. And I have to say, my feelings are complicated.

As a P&P-inspired gender bent story, it’s inventive and a great update. Julia Wickham’s character in particular was a great/treacherous take. This is not a straight retelling and this frees
Stacee
May 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Well, I’m a complete sucker for anything P+P and I was excited to see how a different take played out.

Love love loved Trisha and DJ. She’s smart and maybe a bit awkward. He’s gruff and sort of a marshmallow. Together, she’s the Darcy and he’s the Elizabeth and I was all over their arguing. This entire set of characters is fantastic. I loved her crazy large family and his sister. The loyalty of the family their dynamic was refreshing to read.

Plot wise it was new and comfortable at the same time
Mónica BQ
Sep 05, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I tried my hardest to like to this book.

*Content warnings for like a shit of things that will be somewhat mentioned in my review: difficult pregnancies, spontaneous abortions, rape, death (and death by OR), several diseases, assisted suicide (sort of), etc. I very rarely mention these things. I fully believe it's the author's/publisher's job to forewarn readers about the content of a book, but there was so much here that I couldn't just not do it.

Honestly, these people seem to have *the worst lu
Barbara
It's a very long time since a book has irritated me as much as this one and I probably should have just dropped it very early on and not wasted so much time on it. Blame my foolish 'completer-finisher' tendencies, but reading this was torture.

Why?

Firstly the deeply irritating 'homage' to Pride and Prejudice was so clunky and forced that it drove me crazy. Come on now, every book ever churned out in which 'boy meets girl, boy and girl don't like each other, boy and girl eventually change their m
Lisa (Remarkablylisa)
May 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
MY RATING: 5/5 STARS

I received a copy from Harper Collins Canada in exchange for a honest review.

BUT GUYS this might be my favourite read of 2019 so far. Okay, not my most favourite book of 2019 but Top 10 and it's pretty high up on the list. If you're a fan of retellings, then you need to read this one because instead of it being completely by the book, this is a fresh twist on Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen. I'm not educated enough to tell you point by point differences but Sonali Dev play
Resh (The Book Satchel)
May 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-releases
Fun Fun Fun

A gender flipped Pride and Prej retelling with a surgeon Trisha as Mr. Darcy and DJ as Elizabeth Bennett.

What I loved:
- drama - jumping balconies, rom-com scenes, flailing in love, girl hates boy trope to fall in love later, rich girl poor boy trope, royal Indian father, ex-Bollywood Indian mother, rich family and parties.
-FOOD - Well, what do you expect? Le Cordeon Bleu chef who specializes in French and North Indian fusion
- I must say DJ is the total rom com hero and I loved it. Wel
Lisa Wolf
A modern day retelling of Pride and Prejudice (obviously), set in the Bay Area and featuring the unlikely pairing of world-class neurosurgeon Trisha Raje and up-and-coming master chef DJ Caine, whose initial meeting is fraught with haughtiness and false impressions. As it turns out, Trisha is the only doctor offering a cure for DJ's beloved sister's brain tumor, so despite their mutual dislike, the two are forced together again and again. I liked that the author didn't follow the P&P plotline 10 ...more
Lisa
Aug 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My craving for a light, diverting read was satisfied by this Pride and Prejudice inspired novel. I loved the way Dev played with the roles and made the story her own. The food descriptions were amazing - how perfect to cast Darcy as a chef! A delicious romp.
WhiskeyintheJar/Kyraryker
May 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: series, contemporary

The truth was, he was right about many things—things she could change, like how she treated people. He was also wrong about a few—things she could not change, like who she was.

In this start to the Rajes series, Sonali Dev gives us an emotional look into a royal Indian family that migrated to America. The title gives a clue that Ms. Dev took inspirat
Lacey (Booklovers For Life)
This was a GREAT P&P retelling, but I had the hardest time trying to like the hero’s character. I never saw what the heroine saw in him. ...more
Rincey
Jul 13, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: poc-author
Jypsy
Feb 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Pride and Prejudice and Other Flavors is a modern retelling of the timeless classic. This version has a unique element. The woman, Trisha, is proud, and the man, DJ, is prejudice. I liked Trisha. She is proud because she's a surgeon, and that's a justifiable reason. She is an intelligent, strong and likeable character. DJ, on the other hand, I despised. At some point, I should have come to like him, like in the original, but that didn't happen. He's just unlikable and garners no sympathy. I unde ...more
Anita Pomerantz
Jun 22, 2019 rated it it was ok
I must qualify this review by stating upfront that I am one of the only women in the world who really did not like Pride and Prejudice. I was tasked with reading a "retelling" for a challenge, and this book just came out and seemed like it might be perfect. Especially since I have loved many books about Indian culture.

Dev does cleverly reverse gender roles here (i.e. Wickham is a woman, the Darcy equivalent character is also a woman). But that didn't really make it better for me.

It just seems li
Lindsay
Mar 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance
A gender-swapped version of Pride and Prejudice that centers on the Rajes family, Indian immigrants that live in the Bay area. Dr. Trisha Rajes is a brilliant neurosurgeon who has a large and close-knit family, but events around an acquaintance of Trisha from years ago has created a rift between Trisha and her elder brother whose political career was harmed. DJ Caine is a brilliant chef who has quit his dream job in Paris to return to the US to look after his sister Emma, an artist with a brain ...more
Boston
Sep 09, 2019 marked it as dnf
DNFed at ~60%. Unfortunately this book missed so many marks for me.
The love interest had nearly no redeeming qualities and even this far into the book I still couldn’t imagine liking him in the slightest.
There were a lot of “woke” moments that weren’t explored and just seemed to be thrown in to seem...”woke”.
There was also way. Too. Many. Storylines. I somehow managed to keep up with them all but I can’t imagine all of them are wrapped up by the end without it being a big mess.
There was also
Obsidian
Apr 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, netgalley
Please note that I received this book via NetGalley. This did not affect my rating or review.

Wow. What a wonderful retelling of Pride and Prejudice. Only the Mr. Darcy character is gender swapped and instead of being an upperclass nobleman, we have a young surgeon whose family is descended from Indian royalty (Trisha Raje) I initially didn't like that Dev had focused on the Mark Darcy character first, but I get why she did it. Eventually we get our Elizabeth Bennett (DJ Caine) and he was fantast
Isaac Miller
Jan 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Review to follow
Abigail Bok
Aug 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The genres of popular fiction each have their own modes of description, a palette of language that feels comfy and recognizable to the reader. For romantic fiction, there is a limited common vocabulary of attraction; fair enough, I would have said, because there are only so many ways to describe it, right?

Wrong.

Sonali Dev has come up with a way of evoking attraction and the negotiations of relationships that is so original it left me gasping with delight. Her characters are unique not just in th
Bookphenomena (Micky)
Review is now live on A Take from Two Cities blog here.

This read was the most unusual Pride & Prejudice retelling I have encountered and where it shone was in the complexity of the plot and characters of the family, so true to the original. However, this is a authentic piece of fiction in it's own right, you recognise the foundation of Pride and Prejudice but the Rajes family are new and fresh for your perusal.

Trisha Rajes was a savant-type neurosurgeon but she was also everything socially awkwa
A. Hoyle
Jul 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book bewitched me, body and soul.
I'm biased as an Austen enthusiast but Pride, Prejudice, and Other Flavors gave me just what I wanted: the acidy burble in my stomach that comes from vicariously living through a glorious misunderstanding between could-be lovers.
Meredith (Austenesque Reviews)
The Essence of Jane Austen Infused With Bold Indian-American Zest

TYPE OF NOVEL: Pride and Prejudice Modern Adaptation

SETTING: San Fransisco, Present Day

SYNOPSIS:

Dr. Trisha Raje: A brilliant neurosurgeon who developed life-saving technology to help operate on brain tumors comes from a titled Indian family living in California. She is horrible at relationships, feels banned from her family, and has a strong mistrust of others due to appalling events that happened a few years back.

DJ Caine: A talen
Madison Warner Fairbanks
Pride, Prejudice, and Other Flavors by Sonali Dev

A romance in the end but it takes a while to get there. It's a very loose take off from the Austin novel set in today's world where privilege and pride need to be broken down as barriers for the couple really get to know one another.
I was happy with the ending.
Getting to the ending was a bit difficult in the long narrative background information. Pages and pages. It was mostly interesting with deep family history, culture descriptions, events and
Lata
May 21, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I’m a sucker for retellings of Pride and Prejudice, one of my favourite books by Jane Austen.
Here Sonali Dev updates the story about about two people passionate about what they do (microneurosurgery for Trisha, and high-end cuisine for DJ (Darcy)).
Dev also considers a variety of cultural and racial issues through these two characters and their respective families: Tricia’s being very rich, privileged and high-functioning Indian American and former Indian royalty, while DJ’s comes from a distinc
flavia
May 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
☆☆☆☆

I come upon this book by chance, I’ve never read any books by this author and when I realized this was a Pride and Prejudice retelling I was eager to start as soon as possible.

Dr. Trisha Raje is San Francisco’s most acclaimed neurosurgeon. She is considered the black sheep by her Indian American family, the Rajes, a family that has been setting rules since the beginning of their arrival to the continent. Trisha has been breaking those rules, having a chance at redeeming herself. Chef DJ Cain
Jessica Haider
I think this is the 3rd Jane Austen-related book that I've read in as many months. In the past few months I've also read Ayesha at Last and The Jane Austen Society. So, I must be on some sort of Austen-related-roll!

Pride, Prejudice and Other Flavors is a modern day retelling of Austen's Pride and Prejudice. In this version, we have Trisha Raje, a neurosurgeon who still somehow considers herself to be the disappointment of her rich Indian family. On the other side of the equation we have DJ (real
The Library Lady
Yet another "inspired by Austen" pastiche. If these authors truly loved Jane Austen, they would leave her the hell alone and stop trying to profit off of her books. Having two characters dislike each other but click romantically, and naming the guy Darcy doesn't make you another Jane. This could be likeable fluff, but the attempt to make it resemble Austen ruined it for me.

If you DO want to read a fabulous book that was inspired by P&P, try A Suitable Boy by Vikram Seth. Set in 1950s India, it's
Simone
Sep 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: general-fiction, 2019
If you follow me on bookstagram, then you already know that I pre-judged this book as a meh story. I was so set to give it three stars and voice my strong opinions on the writing tearing Sonali Dev a new one in my review. How PREJUDICE of me because this book turned out to be one of my favorite stories and a nice way to get out of the 3-star book slump I've been feeling lately.

Before I launch into this review, I do want to mention I read a few reviews where the readers dissect the medical stuff
Amy
Feb 26, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: jane-austen
I went in expecting something like Ayesha at Last or Unmarriageable but I'd say this book has more in common with Pride. Which was different. Good, but different.
Overall, I really enjoyed it. The gender-swap Darcy/Lizzie relationship made for some great dynamics and the plot deviates from the original novel enough to feel compelling as a story in its own right. Things don't feel shoved in just because they were in the original.
Some excellent reviews on here have looked with askance at the ethi

• Ayesha at Last
  • The Right Swipe (Modern Love, #1)
  • Girl Gone Viral (Modern Love, #2)
  • Unmarriageable
  • Natalie Tan's Book of Luck and Fortune
  • Get a Life, Chloe Brown (The Brown Sisters, #1)
  • Love Lettering
  • Royal Holiday (The Wedding Date, #4)
  • The Worst Best Man
  • The Marriage Clock
  • The Wedding Party (The Wedding Date, #3)
  • Well Met (Well Met, #1)
  • Bringing Down the Duke (A League of Extraordinary Women, #1)
  • Waiting for Tom Hanks (Waiting for Tom Hanks, #1)
  • Fix Her Up (Hot & Hammered, #1)
  • The Bride Test (The Kiss Quotient, #2)
  • The Trouble with Hating You
  • The Bookish Life of Nina Hill
Sonali Dev’s first literary work was a play about mistaken identities performed at her neighborhood Diwali extravaganza in Mumbai. She was eight years old. Despite this early success, Sonali spent the next few decades getting degrees in architecture and written communication, migrating across the globe, and starting a family while writing for magazines and websites. With the advent of her first gr ...more

The Rajes (2 books)
  • Recipe for Persuasion (The Rajes, #2)

Articles featuring this book

The author of A Bollywood Affair talked to Goodreads about the timeless appeal of Jane Austen, the challenges of updating Elizabeth and Darcy’s...
“Ma’s pet peeve was how the Western world misunderstood the theory of karma. “I mean it’s the Bhagavad Gita they’re bastardizing. What is all this ‘karma’s a bitch’ nonsense!” Ma loved to say. The entire “what goes around comes around” thing was a backward view of karma. Karma was simply Sanskrit for action, and the theory was that your actions are the only thing under your control, as opposed to the fruits of your actions, which are not. And since actions always bear fruit, you were better off focusing your energy on your own actions, rather than worrying about the results you wanted them to produce.” 4 likes
“The fact that you have the things you have isn’t wrong. Not understanding what you have is.” 4 likes