Start by marking “You Made Me a Dad” as Want to Read:
You Made Me a Dad

You Made Me a Dad

Laurenne Sala’s follow-up to You Made Me a Mother is a beautiful celebration of fatherhood with illustrations by the creator of Marigold Bakes a Cake, Mike Malbrough.

In this touching celebration of fatherhood, the close bond between parent and child comes to life with heartwarming resonance. Laurenne Sala’s tranquil text, accompanied by Mike Malbrough’s tender
Published May 7th 2019 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about You Made Me a Dad, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about You Made Me a Dad

Start your review of You Made Me a Dad
Christina Carter
Jul 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Each page tugged at my heartstrings with every sentiment this father shared about his love for his little girl. He loved her before he'd ever laid eyes on her; loved her mom too and took good care of her when she felt exhausted, had a quirky craving, or just needed her feet rubbed. When his baby girl arrived, he had a new job to do. As her dad, he would teach her how to be kind, how to enjoy life, how to express her creativity, and he would definitely make her laugh and giggle - a lot!

What a
Thumbnail That
Jul 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Where do I start? There are so many great things about this book. I got all the feels reading it. The family is biracial which is always refreshing to see in picture books. The narrator tells a love story from a dad to his daughter starting in utero through childhood. It takes you on a journey of a father’s affection for his daughter. Little girls really need to hear how much they are loved by their fathers as often as possible. I LOVE that it’s told from a dad’s perspective.

Malbrough’s
Jana
This beautiful, heartwarming picture book will probably have some readers reaching for the tissues. With emotional, poetic text and softly colored illustrations, this book is a tender celebration of fatherhood. This would be a great Father's Day gift or anytime gift to a dad in your life.
Olivia
Apr 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: yabc-reviews
Find my full review here: http://www.yabookscentral.com/kidsfic...

YOU MADE ME A DAD is a charming story of fatherhood, beginning before the child is born through when they are older. Perfect for first-time fathers, this is a celebration of the love between parent and child. With lovely images and sweet phrases, this book is sure to capture your heart.

What I loved: There is a lot about this book to love! The family shown in the book is interracial, which is not frequently represented in media,
Laurel
Jan 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: little-miss, the-dude
Message learned: Being a dad can be the best job.

This was a wonderful short story from a dad to his daughter. I particularly loved that it wasn't sterotypical dad stuff that the dad was bringing up, it was genuine fun-loving parent stuff that they were enjoying, which is how it should be.

It captured the fun moments before the baby came along, too. There are lots of things that the non-pregnant partner can do and should enjoy, which many kids don't even realize would've happened.

All in all, a
Christine Turner
Sep 26, 2019 added it
Shelves: dad
A picture book for expectant fathers and already-fathers everywhere created by the author of You Made Me a Mother, Laurenne Sala, and the Marigold Bakes a Cake author-illustrator, Mike Malbrough.

Laurenne Sala's tranquil text, accompanied by Mike Malbrough's tender watercolor illustrations, creates a warm look at the joys, fears, and responsibilities of being a dad over
Peacegal
Jul 09, 2019 rated it liked it
A book for dads to read with their kids. Colorful illustrations, and I especially liked that one of the important skills the Dad was teaching his kid was how to be kind, illustrated by the father showing his toddler how to pet the family dog gently.

The beginning of the book depicts a pregnant Mom and all of the things Dad is doing to comfort her, so this book might not be for kids who didn't come into their family in that way.
Ashley Adkins
Nov 25, 2019 rated it liked it
This book would make a great gift for a first time father or really a father at any stage in his "parent career". The illustrations are dreamlike and almost seem unfinished as you flip each page. The text is simple but provides a meaningful experience about becoming a dad and all the thoughts that run through you mind. However, the last few pages/sentences of this book seems confusing and a bit rushed.
Elizabeth
May 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fathers, art, family
This is an incredibly beautiful book. The text paired with the watercolor illustrations make me tear up each and every time I read this book. I cannot wait to use this book in one of my toddler story times and as a book recommendation for someone looking for a Father's Day book or a book for a dad to read with their child(ren). This is PRECIOUS.
Nadia L. Hohn
Jun 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a gorgeous feel good book. We need more books like this that celebrate fatherhood. I saw this book in the father's day section of a local bookstore in Brampton among the gift books for dads but what about fathers thanking kids. The simple joys of fatherhood. I love it and think this would be a welcome addition to any collection.
Cheriee Weichel
Oct 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Heartwarming, tender and poignant are words I use to describe this book. It fills my heart up to overflowing. I love this father's perspective of what it means to be a parent. Now I'm off to track down You Made me a Mother by the same author.
Anthony
May 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
The view point of a dad to his child, and how they changed him from being just another person to being a dad. This story takes the reader from the early stages of gestation through the formative years and the love a dad feels and has for his child.
Annese
May 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
So sweet!
Ashley
Nov 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
A very sweet book for biological dads. It made me tear up. The illustrations were a bit unappealing at times but overall they were fine.
Dannon Hewitt
Dec 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Just happened upon this read it and cried I’m away from my husband for the next month and I miss him soo much ...more
Rob McGrory
May 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book must have been packed in sliced onions
Alyssa Gudenburr
Tissue warning with this one! It reminded me of my dad and all the fun things we did together. This would make a great father's day gift!
Brindi Michele
Jun 03, 2019
The Book Box
May 23, 2019 added it
Shelves: own
Mama won this in an Instagram giveaway from the publisher! We read it the same night we got it in the mail. I liked it because they do a lot of fun things in the book.
Lindsay
Dec 21, 2019
Rochelle Facey
May 06, 2019
Elizabeth
This book gave me all the feels. So sweet.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Dear Boy,
  • Sulwe
  • High Five
  • Just Because
  • Grumpy Monkey Party Time!
  • Carl and the Meaning of Life