Start by marking “Dead End (DI Kelly Porter, #3)” as Want to Read:
Dead End (DI Kelly Porter, #3)

Dead End

(DI Kelly Porter #3)

When the seventh Earl of Lowesdale is found hanging from the rafters at Wasdale Hall, everyone assumes the aging, hard-partying aristocrat had finally had enough of chasing the glory of his youth. But when the coroner finds signs of foul play, DI Kelly Porter is swept into a luxurious world where secrets and lies dominate.

At the same time, two young hikers go missing and i

Published October 8th 2018 by Canelo

To ask other readers questions about Dead End, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dead End

Lou
Oct 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Dead End is the third book to feature DI Kelly Porter, set in the pristine surroundings of the Lake District, Cumbria, UK, and having loved the first two novels, I was excited to get going with this one. Initially, the setting was what drew me to the series as I live maybe two minutes from the Cumbrian border in Northumberland, however, I have come to the realisation that Ms Lynch is a superb storyteller who knows exactly how to grip her audience and spin a compelling yarn. It's this combination ...more
Erin
Mar 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kobo, series, books-i-own

DI Kelly Porter is back in the third installment of this police thriller series and her team is busy juggling two cases. The first is a suicide committed by an elderly member of the aristocracy. Which the coroner soon believes to be an actual homicide. The second is a series of missing women. Eventually links between the two begin to emerge.

As Kelly and her team scramble to find answers, things at home are getting more complicated. Although her mother is showing signs of good health, K
Paromjit
Sep 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is the third in the Lake District set series featuring DI Kelly Porter, who has returned to the area after spending numerous years in London. I read the first book which I really enjoyed but somehow missed the second. Nevertheless, this is mostly fine to read as a standalone. In the atmospheric Dead End, Kelly has two seemingly disparate investigations that are slowly revealed to have connections with each other. The hard living and ageing seventh Earl of Lowesdale, named Xavier-Paulus II, ...more
Denise
Oct 10, 2018 added it
Family secrets, murder, and mysterious disappearances keep DI Kelly Porter busy in the Lake District. In the meanwhile, she's trying to navigate her new relationship with Johnny Frietz of the mountain rescue team.

I love this series and the character of Kelly Porter. She's sensible and pragmatic, but also has a good heart and strong loyalty to her family and team. I've read both previous books in this series and always look forward to a new installment as I get to know her better. The police pro
Gary
Apr 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is the 3rd book in the Detective Inspector Kelly Porter series by author Rachel Lynch. I am currently binge reading this series after discovering author Rachel Lynch recently and enjoying every page.
The seventh Earl of Lowesdale is found hanging from the rafters at Wasdale Hall and everyone assumes the ageing aristocrat had enough and taken his own life. But DI Kelly Porter is put on the case when the coroner discovers signs of foul play and discovers a world dominated by secrets. Simultane
The Cats Mother
I really don't like starting a series part way through, and when I requested this from NetGalley I thought I could catch up with the first two in time, which is the thinking that has got me so far behind... So, trusting the reviews which said this could be read as a standalone (which turned out to be correct) I decided to break my rule, which I have mixed feelings about. On the one hand it means I have discovered another great author and series to continue, but it means that when I read the prev ...more
Janet Newport
Aug 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Thank you NetGalley and Canelo for this arc.
I had seen good/great reviews of the previous Kelly Porter stories but have not read either of them and I felt I was a little behind the eight ball starting with this 3rd story as a "stand alone". I wasn't so confused that I quit reading, but I definitely think I would have enjoyed it more if I has started with book one and then book two. Kelly's back story and her relationship histories (with Johnny, her family, co-workers, etc.) were certainly a par
Elaine Tomasso
Aug 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
I would like to thank Netgalley and Canelo for an advance copy of Dead End, the third novel to feature DI Kelly Lynch, set in the Lake District.

Kelly is resisting promotion, preferring the sharp end of policing, but soon she doesn't have time to think about it as she has her hands full with the apparent suicide of the Earl of Lowesdale which soon turns out to be something different and the disappearance of two female students who went fell walking and didn't come back. As time goes on with no si
Pat
Jan 11, 2019 rated it liked it
The first two books in the series were very suspenseful and quite dark. This one not so much. In fact it reminded of the previous book I had read (Last Lullaby by Carol Wyer) - different story but same pacing and structure. There were two story lines that didn't seem to have anything tying them together but you know how it goes.

The 95 year old Earl of Lowesdale, Xavier-Paulus II (is that a pretentious name or what), is found hanging in his study by his grandson. Is it suicide or something more s
Holly
Apr 01, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019
*3.5 stars ✨
peggy
Sep 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
This is the third in the Kelly Porter series.
I found this a slow burner but was really glad I stuck with it.
A British crime thriller at its best. So many twists and turns and so much tension right up until the climax.
You can read this book as a stand alone and it does mention her past cases. If anything it should make you want to read the the other two books just to find out how she caught them.
Female detectives are really coming into their own in books at long last. Go girl power oops getti
Clare

With thanks to Netgalley and Canelo for this ARC in exchange for an open and honest review.

Dead End Is the third book in the DI Kelly Porter series.

In this story Kelly and her team were Investigating two cases. The first was the death of Xiavier Paullus II, the Seventh Earl of Lowesdale. It was first thought 95 year old Xiavier had committed suicide by hanging. However the postmortom showed he was smothered to death and then hung. Years earlier Xiavier`s partner and daughter Trinity died in a
Breakaway Reviewers
A great British crime thriller!

‘Dead End’ is the third book in the series featuring D.I Kelly Porter. It is set in the beautiful countryside of the Lake District and it is certainly a great British crime thriller!

For fans of this genre, it could be read as a stand-alone tale, but it is helpful to have read the previous two books, in order to become acquainted with some of the characters. D.I. Kelly Porter takes her job seriously and this investigation certainly contains numerous twists and turns
Joyce
Aug 15, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3 stars

DI Kelly Porter has two missing girls Sophie and Hannah to help locate. It has been several days, and a massive search is still ongoing in the forest where they disappeared.

Kelly gets a call on her mobile saying that the coroner is not happy calling the recent death by hanging of the seventh Earl of Lowesdale a suicide. The ninety-five year old man named Xavier Fitzgerald did not die of a suicide.

While searching for the bodies of the two girls in the Lake, the divers come upon a bag bel
Allyson Abbott
Sep 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Dead End by Rachel Lynch. DI Kelly Porter book 3
Thank you to NetGalley for giving me a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Set in the north of England, Dead End has DI Kelly Porter working on two cases when two young women go missing and a local earl is found hanging in his study.
I found this book to be intriguing and most enjoyable. Every character was well rounded with enough information to keep them interesting while the reader is not being overwhelmed with too much inform
Julie Lacey
Oct 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a great series.
DI Kelly Porter is asked to investigate a murder which was made to look like a suicide. The victim lived in a stately home and his grandson made the gruesome discovery of his body.
Zac is in shock and the housekeeper Linda tried to support him, but what is she hiding?
Everyone linked to the house had secrets and Kelly and her team have to try and unravel them.
Kelly also discovers her own family have been keeping a secret from her which she stumbled across as part of the i
Gayle Noble
DI Kelly Porter returns in the third instalment of the series, investigating the disappearance of two young women from a camp site. Does their disappearance have any connection to two similar cases? Kelly also investigates the possible suicide of the seventh Earl of Lowesdale found hanged at his home, Wasdale Hall.

The two case plots were OK, but again I felt there was a bit too much focus on Kelly, her family problems, and her relationship with Johnny. Other police characters were pretty much ca
Colette Lamberth
Sep 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This might actually be my favourite book of the DI Kelly Porter series. I should probably say ‘so far’ as I trust there will be further books to come. I found myself picturing Wasdale Hall in muted colour like an old movie, maybe influenced by the cover image which is very atmospheric. As with previous books in the series there is a good mix of the investigation and personal life of Kelly. I say this every time I read one of these books but I really must visit the Lake District.
Highly recommend
michelle
Oct 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Dead End is the third in the series in the Detective Kelly Porter and it's the best one yet.

The Earl of Lowesdale is found dead by hanging at his home. First impressions is that he has commited sucide but, his post mortem says otherwise and they discover that the Earl's safe is missing. So the think that it is a murder/robbery.

Also Two girls have gone missing on the Lake district hills. The police thinks that they have just lost their way but, when a body of Freya Hamilton turns up after dispear
Nicki Southwell
Oct 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
DI Kelly Porter loves her job and is reticent about accepting promotion. She can't envisage being desk-bound and feels rightly proud of the team of people she works with. She grew up near Ullswater and knows the area well. Her boyfriend Jonny also works in the area, for the mountain rescue.

Xavier-Paulus Fitzgerald, the 7th Earl of Lowesdale, is found hanged by his grandson Zachary. He rings the longterm housekeeper Linda and is able to eventually convey to her what had happened. She arrives with
Paul Gitsham
Sep 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was my first introduction to Rachel Lynch’s Lake District based Detective Kelly Porter, and the other books in the series are now definitely on my too-be-read pile.
The story centres around two seemingly unrelated events, the disappearance of two girls on a walking holiday in the Lakes and the suicide of a wealthy, elderly man.
Lynch has crafted a fine, feisty hero in Porter with a richly described ensemble cast of supporting characters. She has a clearly established back-story, and the book
Melinda Elizabeth
Thank you to NetGalley and Canelo for forwarding to me a copy of this book for me to read and provide a honest review.

DI Kelly Porter is investigating the disappearance of two local girls, whilst at the same time managing the relationship between her mother and her sister. She's pulled between the two competing priorities and the frustrations that come with dealing with her family.

Family is also the theme of the disappearances in the area, with a local elderly Earl being found dead in his prop
Robin Loves Reading
Royalty is still in full force in today's day and age, and DI Kelly Porter is on the case of trying to discover why the seventh Earl of Lowesdale has been found dead in his palatial home. While at the same time, Kelly is charged with finding the location of two missing hikers.

What Kelly and her team soon realize is that there were very deep secrets hidden and what is worse, there are other disappearance from years past that are apparently connected.

There is definitely a personal edge in this st
Kat
Nov 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the third book of DI Kelly Porter series which is becoming a real favourite of mine it is wonderfully written and the continuing back story of Kelly is becoming more and more interesting adding to the addictiveness of the series. The characters in the book are all believable and of course the setting is beautiful. A real compulsive read with a lot going on makes this a book that I can fully recommend, I just loved it and can't wait for the next ..Congratulations Rachel Lynch it was fabul ...more
Mrs
Sep 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Dead End is the third book in the DI Kelly Porter series, having not read the first two this in no way spoiled my enjoyment of this book and I now look forward to reading the previous two after enjoying this so much.
Two young female hikers are missing but it soon becomes clear that this is not just two girls becoming lost in the Lake District hills but becomes more worrying when links are discovered to unsolved previous missing persons and a decaying body is found.
The Earl of Lowesdale is found
Linda Wilson
Sep 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
I've read and enjoyed the previous books in the Kelly Porter series, so was looking forward to this new one. It certainly didn't disappoint. Kelly and her team are investigating the disappearance of 2 female students from a campsite. Could this have links with the disappearance of another girl a year ago, a case that was never solved? Kelly is also dealing with some family issues. This is a real page turner, which I thoroughly recommend. Thanks to NetGalley for a preview copy.
Sep 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is fast becoming one of my favourite series of crime fiction books and I settled in to devour this book with a high level of expectation. It did not disappoint.
The Lake District is still the glorious backdrop for the events of the book, and whilst it felt slightly more slower paced than the previous books in the series, it felt a lot more rounded. The crime(s) and police procedural are still centre stage, but this time I felt as though I really got to know Kelly Porter and her family and
Richard Thomas
Mar 23, 2019 rated it liked it
A bit too complicated.

I enjoyed it to an extent but all the side action was distracting and I found myself skimming through the text. It’s well written but I couldn’t really get into the full ramifications of the plot.
Tracy Wood
Sep 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
I was able to read an advanced copy of this book thanks to Netgalley and thoroughly enjoyed it. The characters are believable, likeable, for the most part, and very well written. This was my first book by this author and even though it is part of a series that didn't cause any problems. There are mentions of a previous case but no spoilers which would discourage me from reading them out of order.
The Lake District is a major player in this story and is well observed and described and there was ne
Sue Plant
Sep 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: rachel-lynch
would like to thank netgalley and the publisher for letting me read this book

wow...what a tangled web we weave....some much deceit and lies involved with this book...it was great to read...but some of it you could see happening and not that very long ago in the past....

mysteries abound in this book....we have missing teenagers and dead bodies galore ...are they all linked or are they the work of different people

and what other mysteries can the police uncover....brilliant read...kept me glued til
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Turn a Blind Eye (DI Maya Rahman, #1)
  • Last Light (Detective Lucy Harwin #3)
  • Tell No Lies
  • Good Girl Gone (Charlie Easton)
  • Inspired
  • Summer of Secrets
  • The Young Heart (The Nordic Heart #0)
  • The Twilight Time (Anna Cameron #1)
  • The Perfect Lie
  • Seelenangst (Clara Vidalis, #2)
  • Mercy Killing
  • Over My Dead Body (Father Frank Mysteries #2)
  • The Bluebell Informant (DS Giles, #1)
  • The Lying-Down Room
  • The Piano Player's Son
  • Divorcees.Biz
  • This Dark Place (Detective Kelly Moore, #1)
  • Naked Truths
Rachel Lynch grew up in Cumbria and the lakes and fells are never far away from her. London pulled her away to teach History and marry an Army Officer, whom she followed around the globe for thirteen years.

A change of career after children led to personal training and sports therapy, but writing was always the overwhelming force driving the future. The human capacity for compassion as well as its

DI Kelly Porter (5 books)
  • Dark Game (DI Kelly Porter, #1)
  • Deep Fear (DI Kelly Porter, #2)
  • Bitter Edge (DI Kelly Porter, #4)
  • Bold Lies (DI Kelly Porter, #5)