Jump to ratings and reviews

The Unadjusteds #1

The Unadjusteds

Sixteen-year-old Silver Melody lives in a world where 80% of the population has modified their DNA. Known as the altereds, those people now possess enhancements like wings, tails, and increased strength or intelligence. Although Silver’s parents created the nanite pill used to deliver these genetic modifications, Silver is proud of her unadjusted state.

However, when the president declares all unadjusteds must take a nanite, Silver has no choice but to flee the city with her father and some friends to prevent the extinction of the unadjusteds.

With Silver’s mother in prison for treason, Silver’s father is the unadjusteds’ only hope at finding a cure. But time is running out as Silver’s father is captured by the president’s almost immortal army. Vicious hellhounds are on Silver’s trail, and her only chance to recover her father involves teaming up with a new group of unlikely friends before all humanity is lost.

414 pages, Paperback

Published November 1, 2019

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Marisa Noelle

10 books119 followers
Marisa Noelle is the writer of middle grade & young adult novels in the genres of science-fiction, fantasy, horror & mental health including The Shadow Keepers, The Unadjusteds Trilogy (The Unadjusteds, The Rise of the Altereds, & The Reckoning), The Mermaid Chronicles – Secrets of the Deep, & The Unravelling of Luna Forester. She is a mentor for the Write Mentor program that helps aspiring MG & YA authors. With dual citizenship, Marisa has lived on both sides of the Atlantic and uses settings in both the USA and UK as inspiration for her novels. When she’s not writing or reading or watching movies, she enjoys swimming. In the pool she likes to imagine she could be a mermaid and become part of some of her make-believe worlds. Despite being an avid bookworm from the time she could hold a book, being an author came as a bit of a surprise to her as she was a bit of a science geek at school. She lives in Woking, UK with her husband and three children. You can find her on Twitter @MarisaNoelle77, TikTok @MarisaNoelle12, or her website www.MarisaNoelle.com

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
8 (4%)
1 star
4 (2%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 84 reviews
Profile Image for Whispering Stories.
2,573 reviews2,552 followers
October 2, 2019
Book Reviewed on www.whisperingstories.com

‘The Unadjusteds’ is a young adult novel from British-based author, Marisa Noelle. It is written in the first person and the present tense and based in a futuristic dystopian America. We follow the story of Silver Melody, a sixteen year old student who rebels against the regime of the evil President Bear.

We’re plunged into this fast-moving story with a hard-hitting opening and we discover a little more, incidentally, as the story unfolds without any great emphasis on plot background, unless this book is a follow up to a previous adventure for Silver?

We discover that Silver’s scientist parents have a social conscience and developed their genetically modified medication to treat birth defects, as well as terminal and chronic illnesses but then we find their work has been hijacked and abused by others. What started as a disease eradication project has been turned into a dangerous dehumanising process to alter or ‘enhance’ the population to further the aims of the president.

I enjoyed some of Silver’s companions’ backstories, positively dripping with pathos as we witness the worst side of human nature where greed and vanity outweighs respect and altruism. As with most YA stories, there is the inevitable self-awakening and dawning of romantic attachments however, these aspects don’t detract from the main plot which revolves around Silver and a group of disparate but like-minded people who attempt to form a resistance movement. Only Silver’s parents can find a restorative cure for the population but can they be rescued? Can Silver avoid capture with a price on her head?

This YA tale has a lot going for it; there is intrigue, betrayal, deception, jealousy, fear, hatred, loyalty, love and comradery; all played out against the backdrop of good versus evil. This tale is, on the whole, less formulaic than many fantasies and I compliment the author on her idea. I have no doubt this book will hit the spot with its target audience. It is an exciting story with the way left open for a sequel. I award four stars.
Profile Image for Yna from Books and Boybands.
741 reviews345 followers
October 26, 2019
Before anything else, I would like to thank Shealea of Caffeine Book Tours for allowing me to be a part of this book tour, which is my first one ever!

📚Publication Date: November 1, 2019

📚Publisher: The Write Plan

📚 Series: I think so.

📚 Genre: Young Adult ~ Science Fiction

📚 POV: First person.

📚 Cliffhanger: Yes.

Content Warnings: Death of a loved one. Love triangles. Graphic description of injuries.

Read if: you are a fan of YA dystopian reads that are fast-paced and will keep you on your toes.

The Unadjusteds is my first read from the author, Marisa Noelle, but I am glad that I took a chance in this one. It's been a while since I last read a YA sci-fi, so I enjoyed the ride this book has brought me.

A few pages in and I was transported into the future state of the United States of America: one that is messy, problematic, difficult, and filled with genetically modified human beings. It showed how technology can bring help to a nation, but how the abuse of knowledge, when mixed with greed, can only cause harm to the people themselves and everyone around them. The Unadjusteds has shown that useful inventions, when placed in the wrong hands, can dehumanize the entire race.

This book is fast-paced, and there were no dull moments in the adventure. It immediately opened to an action scene, and establishing the back story was scattered all throughout the reading experience. There was drama, suspense, and adventure, too, so get ready for a bumpy ride! Also, like most YA stories, this book comes with a romantic arc. For this one, we have our lead, Silver Melody, caught in a love triangle, and trying to understand her own feelings.

But, the romance is just a side plot, and it was not too much. This story focused on Silver knowing herself, weighing and contemplating her principles, fighting for her family, learning how to understand others, and laboring for her community & country.

⁷Marisa Noelle is gifted with a beautiful imagination, and the concept of her novel exhibits this skill. She has created a vast range of characters with likable personalities, and seeing their dynamic toward each other was a beautiful part of this journey.

Additionally, the ending built up so much action that made me a little nervous, and many characters ended up on fates that I did not expect. Also, this book left a few questions unanswered, so readers will definitely itching for a sequel!

All in all, a great read!

My Book Rating Breakdown

🌼 Unputdownability: ⭐⭐⭐⭐☆
🌼 Book Cover:⭐⭐⭐☆☆

☁ FINAL VERDICT: 4.18/5 ☁

⭐⭐⭐⭐
Profile Image for Melissa.
545 reviews800 followers
October 21, 2019
This is my second book by Marisa and I can say that, even though I only discovered her earlier this year, she'll be one of my favorite authors.

Her descriptions are so vibrant and full of life that I felt like a part of the story, like I was, too, an unadjusted fleeing the city. That I was, too, part of the team that'll brave everything to save Silver's father. That I, too, didn't come out at the end of this journey unharmed. If you love strong female characters, fantasy, and a world in chaos, this book is for you!

Many thanks to Marisa Noelle for the complimentary e-copy of this book. Opinions expressed in this review are completely my own.
Profile Image for Zoé-Lee O'Farrell.
Author 1 book175 followers
November 29, 2019
I have so many feels with this book! When Marisa contacted me…a long time ago now about whether I would be interested in reading her book, I took one look at the cover and then read the blurb and knew I had to read it. Appealing to the YA side in me with a kick-ass MC I just knew I had to read it. Silver Melody (what an awesome name) lives in a world where people can take tablets or nanite pills as they are known to become something else… to become an Adjusted. Well, what does this mean? Basically, you take a pill and it can alter your appearance by something as simple as whitening your teeth or giving you that year-long tan. Or, if you have the money or know the right people, you can take a pill to alter your appearance, you can have wings, telekinesis, become a bulk – so Eight foot tall built like a brick house, the list is endless. Silver, however, does not want to be altered, seeing what happens when you take too many pills does not appeal plus she likes her DNA the way it is! The problem is President Bear, and he is a HUGE, dark, sinister problem and he has her mum! Her parents are the doctors who introduced the pills to this world to help cure cancer, help heal people and then Bear twisted it and Silver’s Mum was taken because she refused to help twist something pure and light into this darkness. This is Silver’s story about what happens next when you are caught in the crosshairs of the most powerful man living.

I found this concept refreshing, I loved the idea of popping a pill to be able to change something about you. I mean let us be honest who has not thought about it before! However, the dark side of this tale makes you realise to be happy with what you have! Nothing apart from you should alter you. That in itself is a powerful message.

When reading this I could feel influences from Hunger Games and Divergent and a bit of the Walking Dead, but at the same time, I did feel this was fresh and exciting. Tris and Katniss are both special in their own way in their stories and Silver is too. Why she is special, well I can’t tell you that! But we have a powerful kick-ass main character who at the same time is a young woman trying to forge her own path in life before everything kicks off. Silver is determined and very headstrong but what I did love is for a change she listened. She listened to everyone and did not go off galavanting by herself and have to be rescued. She held her own and her friends, her team worked together and this is not something you see often but works perfectly. It’s not to say they all liked each other but they learned to be a team with a mixture of abilities and adjusted and unadjusted.

I really truly did love this book and I blitzed it pretty much over 2 days around work and mini-me. I actually feel quite bereft that this is over, but I am excited to know that there is the second book in the works, I just want it now!!!! AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH 👿

I even took the quiz on Marisa’s blog and apparently I have been approved for a level 10 Nanite Pill – Woah that is like the best one and it would be a pretty cool ability to have!

And if I was a character I would be Paige – now I would be happy with that one, she is such a lovely and caring girl, her heart is in the right place and most of all she just wants to be noticed and loved by her parents. In fact, all of the friends in Silver’s life are all worth a mention but there are 10 of them but I warmed immediately to Matt, Joe (just do not go there), Paige and Kyle, all showing their strength and understanding. These people become a part of your life while you read these pages and just want to protect them all. Some may be secondary characters originally but the way they are brought to life by Noelle’s writing they sit very much in the forefront of your mind. You do forget sometimes that this is a YA book because of the characters and fight and decisions they faced, but sometimes there was a reminder of how young they were with some more “immature” and inappropriate conversation timing, that being said, I look at it from their point of view and sometimes these things just need to be said, no matter when.

The Unadjusted if done right, then it would be epic on the big screen! The talent of Noelle in this book is unreal, her imagination with the world she has created is epic and she does not hold back on anything. This book is slick and the words flow on the page, I never felt anything dragged or was unnecessary. It is action-packed from the get-go, we have zero preambles and we are taken on such a breathtaking and sightseeing adventure! We fly, we speed, we hulk out maybe we even drink a little! There is a tension flowing through this book, because of the unknown outcome of the battle that is all the periphery and the outcome in the first book is not what I expected, which made it blinking awesome. I know I am gushing but I need to gush. I was completely hooked from the beginning until the last page and take a moment to appreciate the gorgeous book cover!!
Profile Image for Fanna.
979 reviews490 followers
October 28, 2019
The Unadjusteds is a story set in a dystopian world where nanites (basically, pills) are used to enhance humane abilities or instil abilities and features acquired from other species (a wolf, butterfly, bird, etc.) but revolves around a teenage daughter of genetic scientists who is against the nature of forcing everyone to consume these nanites and believes in addressing the risks associated with this technology, and how she groups with other teenagers of this world—both ‘altereds’ and ‘unadjusteds’—to fight the forceful president and his government.

➝ Sum it up in points!

✔Group of teenage mutants
✔Young adults fighting the evil government
✔Dystopian vibes
✔Adventurous hideouts in caves
✔Mutated animals are also villains
✔Standing up for what's right
✔Evident love for family
✔Emotional friendship building

➝ Trigger Warnings

⇾ Graphic death due to toxicity
⇾ Sudden yet bearable electric shock
⇾ Detained parents and family in camps
⇾ Panic attack
⇾ Ableism
⇾ Stabbing
⇾ Blood spill
⇾ Attack by an animal
⇾ Forced governmental strategies

I won't let something like that define who I am. I am enough, just how I am.

➝ Plot

Like most science fiction stories set in a futuristic world, The Unadjusteds also highlights the inhumane or downright absurd laws set up by an evil body. And this wrongdoing affects one teenage girl deeply with her mother being held for standing by what's right. The plot essentially follows this girl's journey through survival and ultimate escape, only for her to understand that she needs to set things right and not just run away. The story soon brings a group of survivors and righteous fighters to the spotlight, and they work together to save the ones fallen into the inhumane hands of the president.

➝ Setting

The world-building could've been better since it showcased only bits and pieces of where the scenes were actually taking place instead of panning the entire setup. However, it does have the dystopian vibes one would look for when diving into such a story with all the mutated beings and a powerful army to stop any uprisings.

➝ Characters

The bunch of rebellious young adults in The Unadjusteds are unique in terms of not just their mutations but their personalities too. While some are genetically modified to have butterfly wings, some are built with great muscle strength and some have the power of speed, a few are even more lucky to have the ability to teleport and very few can even perform telekinesis. The diversity in terms of these powers is what makes the rebellious group worth cheering for. A group of mutants coming together to fight is also indicative of the X-Men vibes that this book gives so if you're a fan of that franchise, you know this might impress you.

➝ Overall

All in all, The Unadjusteds is a good science-fiction dystopia and can be a great choice for those who appreciate teenage mutants, a fight against the wrong, and the discussion of what comprises of technological advancement without giving away humanitarian responsibilities. The few things that didn't impress me very much was the lack of a more intricate world-building which didn't allow me to submerse myself in the story and the convenience with which the story went ahead at all turning points.

"If there's anything I've learnt [redacted], it's that the world isn't black and white. It's very, very grey. Charcoal even."

Profile Image for Sofii♡ (A Book. A Thought.).
401 reviews426 followers
January 8, 2021

I adore the concept of this story and how despite showing a great development and focus on technology and mutations in this futuristic dystopian world as such, it also touches on very human and mobilizing issues regarding family, the fight for your rights, and know that you're valuable just as you are. I had a great time reading it, it's my first time with the author but it will certainly not be the last.

description

3.5/5 ⭐️⭐️⭐️💫

You can find more of my reviews & fun content on my blog A Book. A Thought.

In this story, we follow Silver a girl who lives in a society where 80% of the population has modified their DNA and therefore now possess from special abilities to genetic mutations such as wings or tails. Although Silver's parents created the nanite pill used to deliver these genetic modifications, Silver is proud of her Unadjusted state. But when the president declares that everyone should take the pill then Silver has no choice but to leave the city, being her father the only hope to find a cure. But with the invincible army touching her heels her only hope will be to join a group of rebels before humanity is lost.

I think in terms of plot this is a highly addictive and entertaining book to read, I think it manages to keep you intrigued and always wanting to know what will happen. It has a very fluid style accompanied by very few descriptions and solid characters. This makes it very easy and fast to read, but that doesn't detract from the intensity of the subplots of many of the characters or their main objective. I liked it a lot, I think it's very well written, and without a doubt, I'll continue with the sequel, even so, I must mention that I don't think it is the most original book I've read, at least personally I have read this type of plot many times already which makes it even predictable at times. The rebel's group, the dystopian world, and the special abilities are things that I can recognize in other books, even so, I don't want to detract from the book since it managed to capture my attention all the time, so despite being a recognizable plot for me, I think it's one of those that hit the mark and achieves its mission which is to make the reader commit and enjoy.

The author's style is very enjoyable and light, I would like to read more from her in the future, especially I think she's a perfect author to read when you don't have much time, I know it sounds odd, but by this, I mean that her style is very fluid and easy to understand, so there's no effort when reading it, but you simply go with the flow of the story, and when you realize you've more than half into it, that's fantastic. I was also able to see that she's not a very descriptive author, which may work for some people more than others, but I found it interesting to mention it.

As for the characters, I think it's a pretty diverse group, and the personalities of these "rebels" stand out as well as distinguish one another, which is great! Our main character is quite good, I felt extremely committed to her cause and to her fight, as well as her strength of will and her pride for who she is, is just admirable. Beyond this, the other characters are very good in their own ways; you may like some more than others, that always happens, but you cannot deny that they're very well created and thought out, since the execution of their personalities and dialogues is very well accomplished.

There is a bit of romance, but I don't think it is worth highlighting, and with this, I don't mean to say that it was bad, I just think it's a factor that's in the background since the book focuses much more on the personal struggle of the characters as well as in society and the rights of its inhabitants, which you must know by now I appreciate a lot when I read a dystopia. On the other hand, I would have liked to have a little more construction of the world, although there's no factor that prevents the enjoyment or understanding of the plot itself, I think that a more thorough and detailed development of the world would have given it greater realism and it had placed the reader better from the beginning in the story. As I said before, this isn't a negative factor in itself, it's just something that I wanted to mention since personally I would have liked to know more.

I think the strong point of the book is the fight for rights, in this case, because this group of rebels is proud of who they are, but it can be interpreted in many ways and this fight against a corrupt government is something quite realistic as we all know. The feeling behind the characters' struggle and their motivations are somehow super realistic and their actions are full of feelings and personal weights of each character. I managed to feel a lot of their anger and passion for their ideals while reading the book, and that made me even more committed to it. Undoubtedly I think that I highlight this book from the other dystopias with touches of sci-fi, due to the intensity behind the plot, the dialogues are full of feelings, as well as their actions and there's even growth in the characters. I really liked it and I think I had a super positive experience with it.

I highly recommend it if you want a dystopian fast-paced read with hints of sci-fi, if you like plots of rebel groups rising up against the government, and especially if you like plots full of emotions but still fluid to read. Perhaps it's not the most original idea for me, but without a doubt it's a super enjoyable book that I would easily recommend to have a great time, cheering up for each character and their ideals, I have no doubt that you'll take their side immediately and you want justice too.
Profile Image for Kitiera Morey.
Author 8 books33 followers
January 12, 2020
I acquired this novel on my own with only an urging from the author to read and review it. My opinions are mine and mine alone.

I was so excited to get my hands on this book. Not so much because I’m big on YA sci-fi, but because I read the author’s first book The Shadow Keepers, and I really loved it. She’s an amazing talent, and I knew this book was going to be just as good.

I wasn’t wrong.

This is a well-crafted story. The action is pretty good and there are numerous fighting scenes, which is always a plus for me. Most of the characters that get a lot of attention are decent. Many of the abilities are pretty cool but don’t come across as copycats of the powers in The X-Men.
But it’s not flawless.

While the powers and the science behind them are well explained, there’s not a lot of world-building. I get that it’s sometime in the future, but when? How far were humans advanced before the nanites? How did things where this book takes place (and see, I don’t even know what country it’s in. That might be my bad, though) get so crazy in the—what?—two decades that Silver’s parents developed the nanites?

I like the ideas here, but it all seems to have happened too fast. I know things move quickly with technology, and I don’t doubt if we were able to augment our bodies as people can in the book that rifts wouldn’t happen almost overnight within the population. This book starts at the tipping point of all that animosity between the alts and the unadjusteds, and I like that, but I don’t think the appropriate amount of years have passed. I mean, there are video games where you play as an alt killing unadjusteds. That’s heavy hostility. Maybe another two generations and this would feel right.

I also don’t fully understand the leveling system. Well, it’s not overly complicated, but some of the augmentations shouldn’t fall into that system. They’re cosmetic. Shouldn’t it just be powers that make you more advanced as a human? I get why the government would want to regulate speed or wings that let you fly or turning into a demigod. But pointed fingernails? Really? That’s so silly. If I were given a better reason, it wouldn’t bother me so, but it just makes the leveling system seem pointless.

Another thing that didn’t sit right with me was the time that passes during the book. I think it’s two months, but it feels like only two weeks have gone by. Once again, it’s just too fast. I’m not saying the author should have dragged out every mundane thing that happened, but maybe she should have shortened the timeline. I could believe this all happened in a month, but not double that.

The characters were hit and miss for me. Silver’s okay. She could have a bit more of an engaging personality, but she isn’t boring. She serves her purpose while also making me believe she’s a teenager that’s gone through a lot. I didn’t mind being in her head.

Matt is...eh. A little bland for my tastes. He is bold and brave and loves his family, and that’s good. But he comes off as a little too perfect. He does have his moments of genuineness that made it so I didn’t want a hellhound to maul him, but I’m hoping in the coming book(s) that he’ll develop into a character I want to root for.

Joe was my favorite. He’s clumsy and sweet and is the ultimate boy scout; a giant teddy bear. I wanted more of him up until Silver discovered what her parents had done to her before she was born. Those qualities I liked about him didn’t fully disappear, but he was a little hard to distinguish between Matt at times. I wanted more from him, and I just never got it. Wasted opportunity.

The other seven of the main team are there to fit roles. I don’t hate it, but they didn’t wow me. Kyle sticks out the most because of his spunk, and I paid attention every time he was involved, but there wasn’t enough of him. Paige also caught my attention, though that was more because of her wings than because of her gentle, friendly personality. I didn’t care about Jacob or Sawyer at all, but at least Sawyer served a purpose. Jacob just took up space.

I think cutting back to only five or six characters would have been better. Less is usually more, and their personalities would have been better developed. This is a decent-sized book. I should feel more for these characters than I do. I hope that changes in the next story.

I didn’t like President Bear as the villain at all. When Silver interacted with him, he felt so outlandish that he came across almost as a parody. What he said was textbook bad guy speech that I could predict what was coming from his mouth before it came. He wasn’t intimidating, either. He had all those powers and I didn’t once fear for Silver when she went against him. He was way too generic.

Despite all this, though, I didn’t want to stop reading this book. I only did because life demanded it from me. I’m satisfied with how things worked out, and I give the author credit for making it clear that no one is safe. That was a genuine, pleasant surprise. What I want as this series goes on is more world-building, better pacing, and characters that grab on to me and refuse to release me. I believe the author can, and will, accomplish this, and I can’t wait to see where the overall story goes.
Profile Image for bowiesbooks.
257 reviews94 followers
May 13, 2021
This book has a really original storyline about a society in which we can all alter ourselves with pills to have wings, higher intelligence and all sorts, while only a few thousand remain unadjusted. I really liked the dystopian vibe to it and the main characters were well written. I’d really recommend for a fun read.
Profile Image for Gemma ♕ Bookish Gems.
469 reviews214 followers
December 31, 2019
I was sent a copy of this book by the author in exchange for an honest review.

Overall rating: 3.5 rounded up to 4 stars.

Warning- SPOILERS.

It took me a while to get into this and I'm not sure if that was me or the book. The pacing seemed a little slow to start with but once the action kicked in, it really picked up and I was sucked into the story.

There were a lot of elements of this story I really liked. The characters were all interesting with hints of some great backstories that I would have loved to see delved into a bit more. I also really enjoyed the different powers that were shown and people's reasons for picking the powers they did. I think it would have been nice to have a few more unadjusteds in the main group though as sometimes it was very altered dominant when we go into the book expecting more of it to be about the Unadjusteds fighting back. We do get that but it almost feels like without the altereds, it would have been a totally different outcome.

I could have done without the love triangle if I'm honest. I don't mind a love triangle but this one felt a little forced and it was clear from the first few pages who she would end up with.

I also am still unsure as to how I feel about Silver. Sometimes I really liked her but it almost felt like she had too much going on. She was the 'ultimate weapon'/karate black belt/singer/song writer/guitarist/figure head...sometimes I just felt a little too much. Also, it bugged me how she kept going on about how she would never take a nanite pill but then kept taking the temporary ones. I don't know why. I know they were temporary, so it was different, but it just bugged me.

I am also very upset about what happened to Joe. Not happy. Take it back please.

I enjoyed the journey and the world was really interesting. What I think this could have done with is another 50-100 pages, just to build the characters, relationships and world a little more. Some of it felt a little rushed.

BUT overall this was enjoyable and I would definitely continue the series to see what happens next.
This entire review has been hidden because of spoilers.
Profile Image for Brenda Smith.
Author 4 books249 followers
August 8, 2019
Marisa Noelle has a big imagination, and she’s showing it to full effect in her new novel, THE UNADJUSTEDS. There’s plenty to love in this YA story and its hero, Silver Melody, a teen forced to grow up in a dystopian world full of people who have altered their genes for new strengths and special powers. Silver is one of the “unadjusted” ones, and she must fight with others of like mind—some “adjusted” and some not—to stop the gruesomely altered President Bear before he puts an end to the unadjusteds once and for all. There’s a big cast of characters to help her, and the author handles them deftly. She gives them each believable emotional strengths and flaws while also making us fall in love with them and cheer them on as they face their own demons to become heroes in their own right. The story escalates into a harrowing climax that made me proud of Silver and her team, and also left me hoping that there will be a sequel. A fun read that will carry you away.
Profile Image for Muzmuz.
347 reviews8 followers
January 22, 2021
This book was good, sort of reminded me of X-men except being mutant is approved and even encouraged.... then there is our little heroine Melody who is our little rebel and refuses to turn for reasons you will have to read the book to find out.
i really liked this sort of "coming of age" where the youth have to save the world and try to figure out their emotions at the same time ^^'
If you are into x-men/ hunger games then you will like this story and I for one am looking to reading the sequel ^^.
7 reviews7 followers
December 10, 2020
Marisa’s presents a nightmare vision of extreme genetic engineering, via the medication Nanite, which enhances people’s faculties, and induces biological mutations. People injected with Nanite are ‘adjusted’, the others ‘unadjusted’.

It is imposed by the brutal President Bear – by force, and a penetrating surveillance system.
The girl narrator, Silver Melody, has parental problems: Her father works on Nanite, while her mother was imprisoned for refusing to promote it. Father has guilt, but feels he must do his duty, hoping the rules may finally be mitigated or withdrawn. Silver takes a humanitarian stance: “I refuse to live in a world where genetically enhanced abilities are valued more than kindness and compassion.”

There is a cave, where opponents of Nanite convene. Dad agrees to accompany Silver in her quest for it. En route, they negotiate ogres – mutated vigilante thugs. He proposes the use of ‘temporary Nanite’ to make them invisible. They are beset by wolves, both ‘natural’ and ex-human ‘altered’ wolves – then by ‘hellhounds’ – genetically modified dogs – finally by wolves, some ‘real’, some ‘altered’, with reptilian characteristics.

Silver loses contact with her father, then meets ‘bulk’ vigilante Joe Rucker. He gives reassurance about Silver’s father, and advises Silver that they are both ‘on the run’ – “President Bear put a million dollars on your head.” Joe, expelled from the Enforcement Squad, is an ally, also in search of the cave. The unadjusted have been herded into compounds. But the pursuit of the unadjusted has turned the adjusted against each other. They need the unadjusted to restore their stability. Joe’s parents are imprisoned. His friend Matt leads the Resistance.

Affection develops between Silver and Joe, who lost friends through Nanite. They then meet Matt, friend of Silver’s father. Silver’s parents may help solve the Nanite crisis.

The complex, with its many wounded. has logistical problems, like food shortages. The inmates need Silver, even with a price on her head. She goes on a foraging expedition with Matty and others. They get locked in a store, where they discover firearms. They are menaced by a boy with reptilian tattoos; Silver prevails through her karate. He has been tracking Silver, but when challenged, promises not to ‘shop’ her. He too is on the run, wanting to join the community in the cavern.
Father said that Nanite, initially, was benign, but took a turn for the worse. She further demonstrates her physical prowess, and is then equipped with wings, somewhat against her will.

Elevated, she experiences intense vertigo – interesting appraisal of angels’ logistics! – then mutation of wings.

Silver is torn between loyalty to the unaltered, and taking on attributes of the altered, to serve the unaltereds’ cause. “In such a short time, I’ve become everything I despised. An altered.”
The complex is assailed by trolls; Erica disables them with arrows. The dissidents gather firearms from the dead trolls, to use the mission to rescue Silver’s parents.

They travel in Matt’s jeep, and find the environs are in chaos – for all the bulks and trolls, they are free to plunder. It is agreed to keep Silver’s abilities secret, lest the price on her head be raised. There is friction between Silver and Erica, reference to regeneration pills, and shope that Silver’s parents can remedy the situation:

“Sometimes when a combination of Nanites went wrong, Dad would get a visit in his lab. He was able to reduce each problematic alteration back to the original unadjusted form using a specially concocted virus put right into the bloodstream.”

Silver and Matt’s affection mounts: “We stare at each other. Fireflies wink around us and I’m caught in a moment, wishing for things I can’t have.”

Francesca had worked loyally for President Bear, prior to his Nanite policies. She is convinced that Silver’s parents are the key to defeating Bear. With their arsenal, the dissidents do some commando training, including bulk changes. Silver feels attracted by one of the new bulks.

Silver can now change her wings at will; But they prove challenging and hazardous. She does an duo flight with Paige – feeling liberated – but then collides with a bird. Paige got alienated from her parents because of their Nanite addiction and their mutations. In desperation, she used ‘black market’ Nanite.

They discover a compound, full of refugees – among them Lyla, Matt’s sister. Silver wants to extricate her immediately, but Paige wishes to hold back for the sake of the others. Silver’s wings wear out; Paige narrowly saves her from crashing to earth. Claus and Joe reappear. Silver learns that she has qualified for her parents’ rescue team. She meets Matt, who agrees priority should be given to Lyla. There is a hint of burning bodies in the compound, and experimentation on the unaltereds. Matt and Silver set off together.

Addison went to investigate something suspicious. She passed out; she recovered to meet with two soldiers, who mentioned that Silver’s parents were probably in the beach compound. Francesca emphasises their high security status: “Your parents are the most protected prisoners in the entire country, guarded by a President with black widow DNA and bulk guards.”

Once again Silver is with Joe; attraction recurs: “There’s a glint in his eye that I recognize: longing. I breathe in and realize he shares the same thoughts as me.” Passion mounts, complicated by their heightened ‘altered’ size; they have their first kiss. Silver holds back because of putting her parents first. Silver’s ‘enlargement’ wears off; she returns to her slender shape.

Joe administrates an ‘extension of ability’. Silver becomes Superwoman:

“OVER THE NEXT few days I take on the abilities of everyone in the cave. People become alive with chatter about my new powers and the upcoming rescue. Claus replaces my obstacle course and knife training with ability tests. Crowds form to watch my trials.”

Silver learns of the rescue team, which includes Joe and Matt. She has been given invisibility pills. The team approach the compound, eluding the guards. Matt spots Lyla, and rescues her. They infiltrate the compound – conflict with the trolls rages behind them.

Silver penetrates what seems to be a laboratory – likely location for her parents: in a surprising twist, she comes face-to-face with President Bear. He cuts a terrifying figure:

“The combination of grizzly bear and black widow Nanites is what makes him unique and terrifying. Both species enhance his ferocity, making his orders unarguable and irrefutable. President Bear can shoot venomous silk from the palms of his hands. If they cut through your skin, you’re dead in minutes.”

Through Telekinesis, Bear pins Kyle to the ceiling and ties Silver’s hands. Silver is undaunted: she asks Bear outright about her parents. His reply: they are in the city, and she will be interned.
His proclamation is devastating:

“. . . thanks to the willing participants of the unadjusteds in the compounds, we’ve discovered that those who have taken more than one animal modification need to be around unadjusted humans or those with only human modifications. Otherwise they lose their humanity. According to your father, the animal DNA overrides the human DNA and takes over. Those most severely affected revert to more primal, basic urges, but it’s a good thing . . . Well, yes, that was unfortunate, but now we are on the brink of a massive shift in evolution. A new species. Once we solve this problem, we will grow as a new species.”

Silver leaves Bear in agony. She sees Matt disappearing into the woods with Lyla. Unable to modulate her ‘abilities’, she takes flight. President Bear is near a helicopter, shooting out spiders’ webbing. Silver shoots webbing back. Joe fires on President Bear, who ducks.

Matt reports on the rescue operation: many unaltereds have been rescued, but not Silver’s parents. Matt mourns the unaltered killed in the operation. Matt introduces Silver to Joan, a healer – one of only six, initially approved by President Bear, but then estranged:

“Once Bear and the National Medical Board realized we could take money from them, that we could bankrupt the country with our powers and put insurance companies out of business, he ended the program.”

Healer pills were banned, under pain of Death. Joan offers to make Silver a healer: she inflicts a token cut on Matt; Silver heals, then cuts and heals herself.

She offers to heal Claus’s leg, but respects his refusal. Matt reports on the campaign:

“. . . it seems they’ve halted the enforced Nanite program until they can figure out how to stop themselves all going insane without our presence. But they’re still doing terrible things . . .”

The bombshell: Matt shows a video of President Bear, saying Silver is wanted for treason. If she does not give herself up, her parents will be executed. There follows an image of Silver’s emaciated mother. There is one consolation – the video gives some indication of the parents’ whereabouts.

Erica confesses to having killed a friend, by mis-administering a regeneration pill. She is guilt-ridden, but Silver does not reject Erica, as she has subsequently saved many lives. Erica admits to being bisexual, and that in her school days she was desperate to be a cheerleader. The tragedy forced Francesca to perfect her archery: “I took up her sport so that she stays with me every day.”
Silver falls in love with Matt. She does healing work on Jacob. An ogre threatens her and Matt; Silver despatches him with her knife. Matt declares his love for Silver.

Ironically, Joe Rucker is recognised by one of the guards supervising Silver; all is on the alert. She locates her father, now emaciated and injured. Dad had once administered the drug in vitro, and it had a delayed action effect. He adds that he is separated from Silver’s mother. President Bear emerges on the loudspeaker, inviting Silver to his office. Silver uses her telekinesis to open all the cell doors; the prisoners break out. Dad joins the melee.

They are confronted by a terrifying spectacle:

“A towering male lion with wide jaws. Half of the hair on its head has been shaved off, and gleaming metal takes the place of its skull. Combined with the red mechanical eyes, this is something beyond mere creature. This is a chimera of beast and machine.”

A second Leviathan follows, its metallic parts seemingly impervious to Silver’s knife. Finally she is confronted with President Bear. He challenges Silver: “I would really like to know, before I dispose of you and your friends, how you took on my abilities.” They have a sparring match: Bear thinks they are evenly matched; Silver thinks she is the greater. Both have telekinesis. There is a duel of knife and spiders’ webbing. Silver saves herself by breathing fire on Bear. She lunges at him, and they both fall out of the window. She stabs him in the knee. In his death-throes he tells Silver that she will never find her mother.

Matt is threatened by a hellcat. In trying to escape, he has a massive fall; Silver saves him by telekinesis, and then squeezes President Bear’s heart, with extra power: “A streak of blackness erupts from my palms toward Bear, tunnelling into his chest.” This kills President Bear.
Silver tends Matt, now in a desperate state. They must leave the compound. Fortunately, the electric fence is short-circuited. They flee in panic, then can relax and reflect. Silver wonders how she could have killed President Bear: “Dad said there are a lot of unexplainables when it comes to the Nanites. Is it possible for powers to evolve?”

“A thread of fear shivers through me. ‘What does that mean?’ ‘It means your abilities might be unquantifiable.’ Silver then confers with Joe about their respective feelings. Joe knows her attachment to Matt. But they are still bonded. More hellhounds appear, which severely injure Joe.

Erica kills them with arrows, but Joe perishes. They return to the cave.

Silver’s father makes a hypothesis for the future:

“He thinks he can harness the DNA of a bacterium to change everyone’s foreign DNA markers. The bacteria will recognize the intruding DNA modifications and direct the body to attack them, but he needs to figure out how to expose the adjusteds.”

There is a ‘cooling off’ period, when the participants can reflect on past events, and Matt’s wounds can gradually heal. Silver’s and Matt’s love blossoms. News filters through: “Unadjusteds have broken out of compounds everywhere. Everyone is running.” The government has collapsed. At the cave there is mourning for the dead, but this is offset by the arrival of masses of unaltereds. As the participants disperse, the newly arrived throng sing Silver’s freedom song.

The Unaltered has stark realism, laced with ‘shape-shifting’ sci fi horror. In essence it is very near home for masses of people. Much of the city action is based in an educational campus, and will surely resonate among students affected by the lockdown. There is an American feeling about the work – appropriate, as there the extremes arise; less so here. Emergency and brutality coincide blatantly ‘across the pond’. Police and military oppression are there very to the fore, as is its concomitant, breakdown of order. The situation of the cave and the compounds proclaims the lot of refugees and internees worldwide. The struggles of the dissidents have echoes of freedom fighters everywhere – from guerrillas to commandos, perhaps to some of those condemned as terrorists. President Bear, with his ‘dog barking voice’, has obvious affinities with Donald Trump.
The work has an ingenious, intricate plot. The main characters come across as warm and human, struggling with a major crisis. Some touching love interest is included. I give it a 5-star rating.
Profile Image for Sammie.
418 reviews39 followers
February 11, 2021
You can read my full review on my blog, The Bookwyrm's Den, here.

I’m always up for dystopias, especially when they come with superpowers. Hard to go wrong with that combination, right? So I was super excited to pick up this book, which sounded right up my alley!

The Unadjusteds is a fast-paced dystopian novel with fun fight scenes, where teens have powers. The plot follows a compelling fight for rights and against tyranny.

I had a really good time with this book. The powers were fun, and the fight scenes were *chef’s kiss*. Where I really struggled was the love triangle (one of my least favorite tropes!), and I wished there had been a little more solid world-building.

My Thoughts:

- In a world where changing one’s DNA is a thing, so many moral questions are raised. I’m mentioning this first because it was for sure one of my favorite things about this book, and it’s really at the forefront for all the characters. How could it not be?! As you might imagine, when it’s possible to become super fast or super strong or have wings, it’s hard for people who choose not to change their DNA to compete. But does changing your DNA actually change who you are? There are so many heavy-hitting moral questions about what it means, in the grand scheme of things, to change your DNA and the prejudices that arise from people on both sides of the debate. As if that’s enough, because this is a dystopia, this world isn’t exactly all sunshine and rainbows. Actually, it’s very much a tyranny, and the main struggle in this is that all guise of choice has disappeared, and every citizen is being forced to take a nanite against their will. I absolutely love books that have such heavy, hard-hitting plot elements, because it really forces you to get to the heart of a complicated, ugly situation and suss out how you feel about it. This book makes you think, and sometimes the answers aren’t as easy and straight-forward as you first assumed.

- The characters in this have “powers,” but it’s not quite the blessing it may seem. On the one hand, it’s very much similar to something like X-Men in that regard, and it adds a layer of depth to the story. The idea is simple: take a nanite, modify your DNA. Could be something invisible like speed or night vision, etc. Could be something major like a bulk or having wings or any number of visible traits stolen from animals. The abilities seem almost endless, which of course leads me to speculate what sort of traits I’d go for. While I enjoyed seeing the powers, it was equally nice to see the drawback of the powers. As awesome as having these abilities seem, there’s always something to even it out and keep it in balance, which I really appreciated. It also helped up the stakes a ton!

- The plot is fast-paced, filled with danger and exciting fight scenes. There’s not a lot of downtime, which is great if you’re someone who loves action and plot movement. There wasn’t really a time where the story sagged, and it carried me through without me ever feeling like I should put it down. That’s not to say that there isn’t enough time for the finer things, like getting to know the characters, because there is! Everyone seems to start with preconceived notions based on their life before the book starts, and it’s nice to see them come together and get over their biases. The fight scenes, in particular, are exciting and fun. Powers make everything better … who knew? Since there’s such a wide variety of powers, that means combining them into fight scenes is fun and dynamic and keeps me guessing how people will team up and use their powers! There were definitely moments that were so unbelievable (yes, even in a book about superpowered humans) that they pulled me out of the story, but for the most part, I just loved the fight scenes!

- I wish the world-building was a little stronger and there was a little more consistency, because I kept being pulled out of it. There were definitely moments that yanked me out of the book rather heavy-handedly, like when a character who’s only been throwing knives for a few days manages to throw a knife accurately enough to knock a bullet off its trajectory. I also wish there was a bit more about the world. I was confused about the nanites and the distinctions between them. Then there’s altereds, adjusteds, and unadjusteds, and I wasn’t completely sure what the difference was between altereds and adjusteds. At one point, I thought one was a slur and the other wasn’t, but I’m pretty sure they were used interchangeably throughout the book? I tried to go back and see where I might have missed something, but there seems to have been some distinction that I just didn’t get. Then there’s President Bear. I know nothing about him except that he’s the villain. How did he come to power? Why did he come to power? Why does he do anything at all, and what does he really want? *shrug* Who knows. I felt his character was so vague, and I really wanted more, especially considering he’s supposed to be such a big, scary villain. I just really wanted a bit more world-building about this government.
Profile Image for Ellie.
79 reviews1 follower
January 18, 2021
Thank you to the author and The Write Reads for a copy of the book in exchange for an honest review.

I used to love dystopia novels but over the years I slowly started reading less of them. When the blog tour was announced for The Adjusteds, I knew I had to sign up. I thought it would be a chance to try and get back into the genre and I wasn’t wrong! I was so invested in the story all the way through, I nearly ended up reading this in one sitting but sleep got in the way of that.

The Story
We’re thrown into all the action at Silver’s high school. Learning straight away just how dangerous the nanite pills are. I love how the author jumps straight in because I couldn’t help but read on to find out more about this dystopian world.

The concept of taking a pill to change your DNA is so fun to read about. What started out as a pill to help cure cancer and other diseases, quickly developed into a way to change your appearance or give you special abilities. Yet, your body doesn’t always accept the pill…

The world is split in two, the unadjusted and the adjusted or as Silver likes to call them, Alts. President Bear then announces everyone over 12 has to take a nanite pill but Silver doesn’t hang around long to take one. We follow her and her dad as they escape from this dangerous and powerful place, and into a world where Silver has to put aside her differences with some of the adjusteds and work together. It’s very exciting to read about all the different abilities and adjusted creatures and I especially love the intense fight scenes! I just couldn’t wait to see what would come next, every page held a new surprise.

The Characters
Silver is a really great female protagonist, stereotypically the same as any dystopian main character. She has been bullied the majority of her life by adjusteds and having parents who are famous scientists and creators of the nanite pill doesn’t make it any easier. Instead, she is constantly guarded and looked down on due to her mothers traitor status. She wants nothing more than to stay unadjusted and this shows through her immense bravery and determinations. Some things don’t always go to plan though!

I loved reading about all the other characters as they are so imaginative and entertaining. You actually learn a lot of backstory of multiple characters which makes it easier to relate and form bonds with the characters. If you love a bit of romance like me, then you won’t be disappointed because we have a bit of a love triangle throughout the book.

One character that didn’t really do it for me was Matt, Silver’s best friend. He is extremely caring and thoughtful but I thought I would like him a bit more than I did. I just found him quite dull and boring. This might be because is was surrounded by a lot of adjusted who I thought were much more interesting characters to read about.

Overall Thoughts
I definitely got Hunger Games and Divergent vibes from this book but I think that is the reason I love it so much. It brings a fresh new twist and still has the romance and action that we expect! The first book leaves you wanting more and luckily I already have the sequel and can’t wait to start it! So if you are a fan of fantasy, dystopian novels with plenty of action in, this is definitely the book for you!

Profile Image for Anca Antoci.
Author 4 books103 followers
January 14, 2021
The Unadjusted is an interesting blend of fantasy and science fiction in a dystopian setting.  The premises of the story remind me of Cynetic Wolf by Matt Ward. We have fantasy creatures but they not based on magic. Instead, they’re enhanced humans. So, fairies are actually humans with butterfly wings —and most cheerleaders chose to become fairies,  Due to advanced technology, by taking a nanite pill that contains animal DNA, humans developed certain animal traits like wings, horns, scales.

"A girl with swan wings tunnels past me, her feathers brushing my cheek as she takes off toward the school. A boy with scales stumbles and falls onto me. I regain my balance and continue fighting my way to the front of the growing crowd."

However, taking the nanite pill isn’t without risks. There have been many instances where people didn’t react well to it and died.
"I look toward the dying boy as his body convulses. He took the bulk nanite pill. He wanted to be a football player, big and strong and immortal with rock-hard skin. It’s a level ten nanite. The paperwork involved takes months, not to mention the expense. All for nothing. His body rejected the change. It happens sometimes."

The main character, Silver is one of the few who is still 100% human — unadjusted in a world where 80% were enhanced. She has strong moral values for someone so young. Her mother is imprisoned for refusing to work on the nanite pill and her father is forced to do just that so Silver won’t become an orphan.

“I refuse to live in a world where genetically enhanced abilities are valued more than kindness and compassion. I’m determined to find a place away from it all.
[...]
"I won’t let something like that define who I am. I am enough, just how I am.”

It all becomes a political thriller when president Bear declares that all unadjusteds above 12 years old are required to take the nanite pill and failure to do so will result in “unfortunate circumstances”, forcing Silver to flee the city with an invincible army on her heels hoping to make it to the rebels.

Silver is a strong female character, and I don’t mean she’s strong in a physical way, quite the opposite. Being unadjusted often seems like an uphill battle but she picks herself up by the bootstraps and goes on.
Read more at: https://www.summonfantasy.com/?p=1651...
Profile Image for (Ellie) ReadtoRamble.
387 reviews24 followers
January 18, 2021
I read this book for a blog tour, so thank you so much to the blog tour organiser and the author for letting me take part in this tour and for providing me with a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review! All opinions are my own.

As soon as I started this book, I was hooked and I’m a little sad that I’ve been so tired lately because I think I would have been able to read it in one or two sittings!

I found the world-building to be really well executed and thought out as I was completely immersed in it and I could see everything that was described. The author doesn’t have a very descriptive writing style (which is my preference), but it didn’t bother me here because it made the book fast to read and had me hooked.

There were a lot of characters in this book, and my favourites were definitely Silver, Matt, Claus, Paige and Kyle. Some of these we don’t see much of, but Silver is the main character and Matt is a very strong secondary character. Silver is a strong young girl who believes in freedom and she wants to find her mother above all else. She is determined, strong-willed, courageous. I really liked her as a character and I feel that, even if at one point she was a little bit limp, she quickly grew, she learned about things happening around her, and she didn’t really give herself time to think over things because she was just so determined to save everyone.

Overall, this was a unique, fast-paced and very enjoyable YA science fiction dystopia that had me hooked from start to finish. It was a very fun book to read and I loved a lot about it. There were a few little moments where I lost a little bit of interest, but I’m putting that down to my level of tiredness.

I gave this book 4 stars and I really enjoyed it! I think that a lot of dystopia fans will like this. I would recommend this book to science fiction and dystopia fans, but please be aware of the trigger warnings because it is not always an easy book to read!

Trigger Warnings: death, torture, injuries, bullying, fighting, threats, weapons, war, violence, imprisonment, discrimination.

You can find my full review on my blog here: https://readtoramble.com/book-review-...
Profile Image for Energy (Rae's Reading).
1,422 reviews33 followers
October 16, 2019
It's a new world where nanite technology can allow people to pop a pill to change their DNA. Want wings, horns, tough skin, a genius IQ? Take a pill and you're forever changed, you are an adjusted. It doesn't always go seamlessly and people are dying. Even more, there are people out there who don't want to change, who don't want to alter themselves, including Silver, the daughter of the scientists who created the pills. The pills that were intended to cure disease, not alter humans.

The president is not happy with Silver's family, mainly her mother who refused to stop making the pills at the direction the president was taking. She's been jailed for 2 years and isn't allowed visitors. As the president continues his edicts that are infringing on people's rights, life starts getting so much worse for the unadjusteds. As unadjusteds and adjusteds who have had second thoughts go into hiding, they must form a plan to rescue Silver's parents, their families, and find a way to reverse the mess that's been created.

This was a fun dystopian read with a great storyline, there was a lot of action going on and the characters weren't afraid to fight for what was right. Each of them had unique personalities and unique abilities, Silver most of all. I thought Noelle was highly creative in choosing what people could alter themselves with. I think the combination of action, drama, romance, and fantasy made this a super fun read.
Profile Image for Gina  Mitchell.
864 reviews53 followers
January 10, 2021
The Unadjusteds by Marisa Noelle | Review

This fast-paced dystopian thriller grabs you on the first page and doesn’t let go. Silver Melody is on the run. She gathers a few formidable friends to help her save the world from a megalomaniac. They encounter armies of altered humans, hellhounds, betrayals, and evil, but they also find friendship, love, and understanding.

I found the world-building to be exceptional. It developed quite naturally, without long backstory information dumps. The author created a world full of possibilities with nanite technology to prevent disease. In typical human fashion, the nanite technology developed by Silver’s parents was corrupted and used for all the wrong reasons.

The characters are believable, unadjusted, and altered alike. I enjoyed the understanding that developed between the leading players, showing we can be tolerant and accepting of someone different from us.

The ending closed enough storylines to make the book feel satisfying while leaving questions that will encourage the reader to reach for book two in the series immediately.

This review appears on my website as part of a book blog tour. I acquired the book from the tour, as well as reading a digital copy from Kindle Unlimited. I have provided my honest, unbiased opinion.
Profile Image for Clair Sharpe.
499 reviews40 followers
November 4, 2019
Set in a world where 80% of the population have modified their DNA using nanite pills, we meet 16 year old Silver Melody, who has chosen not to alter her DNA and is proud of her unadjusted state. Silver’s parents created the nanite pill, originally for the purpose of curing disease but gradually, they have been modified to give people special abilities. Some have a physical effect to the person taking them, being able to toughen skin, add bulk, give the ability to fly; others can make the taker invisible, give them the power of telekinesis, make them really intelligent or give them power to heal.
The downside, is that people don’t always react well to taking them and they can kill. When Silver’s best friend Diana dies after taking a nanite pill, Silver and their best friend Matt, vow never to take the pills themselves. However, on Silver’s 16th birthday President Bear declares all the unadjusteds must take a nanite in order to further the strength of their country and Silver is forced to flee the city, along with her father and her friends.
With Silver’s mother in prison for treason, Silver’s father is the unadjusteds’ only hope at finding a cure, but when he is captured by the President, Silver and a group of new friends and allies must find a way to rescue him.
Marisa kindly contacted me earlier this year and asked if I would be interested in reviewing the book and I thought the blurb sounded interesting, kind of a cross between X-Men, Divergent and The Hunger Games, all books and films I have enjoyed.
The book certainly hits the ground running! Within the first few pages we have seen a death from a boy taking a nanite pill and President Bear’s announcement! From that moment on Silver seems to be under constant threat, first escaping with her father from the city through the sewers along with mutated rats who have eaten the discarded nanite pills, almost getting killed by hellhounds (wolves that have been genetically modified) and finding her way to a cave where other people who don’t agree with the President are living. There are adjusteds as well as unadjusteds and Silver has to put aside her prejudice so they can work together to try and stop the President.
I loved all the special abilities detailed in this book and although I think I’d be too scared to take a nanite pill, I think I would like to see what it is like to be able to fly with some pretty wings! The author has an amazing imagination and an ability to keep the book flowing at a swift, exciting pace.
I think if you are a fan of young adult dystopian fiction I think you should definitely give this a go!
Profile Image for Karen Barber.
2,424 reviews57 followers
January 21, 2020
Now that’s what I call an exciting YA fantasy...full of action from start to finish, and with a great cast of characters.
In this world people are used to adjusting their appearance through the taking of nanites, an advanced technology that alters a person’s physical appearance and capabilities. Silver Melody’s parents invented the technology, but she has always been vehemently anti-nanite. Having watched close friends die, she is understandably nervous about the implications.
From the opening drama, which succinctly outlines Melody’s perspective, we’re plunged into a nightmare scenario. There are plans to force anyone ‘unadjusted’ to take nanites, so Melody and her father are forced to flee.
Unfortunately, there are people in power who are very keen to get their hands on Melody and her father.
What follows is a fraught battle. Melody is forced to develop skills she never knew she had, and rely on a very mixed group to help her.
While I enjoyed the ending, it left me with an awful lot of questions. I can’t help but wonder whether we haven’t heard the last of Melody Silver...
Profile Image for Noelle Kelly.
186 reviews8 followers
October 20, 2019
Marisa's second novel is really special and I loved it.

We are introduced to Silver Melody in school, where her best friend has taken a powerful nanite, despite the deadly consequences.

Nanites give people superhuman powers and traits - butterfly wings, bulk strength, tails, hyper intelligence, healing power - there is a nanite for anything one can dream of.

Silver’s parents created the Nanites, but she has never taken a nanite and doesn't plan to. President Bear decrees that all humans must take a nanite, driving Silver and her Father underground while her mother is captured.

Silver and her father are not the only ones in revolt and Silver joins a misfit bunch of both Unadjusteds and Altereds. There is a whole host of feisty characters with a range of traits and abilities. The characters are colourful and lively, fierce and not all of them trust or like Silver.

Joe - A 'Bulk' football player with inhuman strength and build

Erica - Butterfly wings colourful as a rainbow that match her mood

Paige - Emerald green, strong birdlike wings.

Silver's best friend Matt leads this army, whose only hope is to rescue the creators of the nanites.

This book is a whirlwind of action, the pace is fast and steady from the beginning. There are physical battles, battles of wills and battles of the heart.

Melody brings us along through the story and we see her world through her eyes, we're rooting for her and her friend all the way.

Though I was a little heartbroken at the end, I just wanted more. Please tell me there's a sequel and I can return to the technicoloured and dangerous world of The Unadjusteds.
Profile Image for Rachel Ladbrook.
65 reviews2 followers
November 15, 2021
This is a dystopian future where people can take a pill called a Nanite to give them a physical advantage silver doesn’t want to take a pill when she comes of age, the pills her doctor parents helped to create. However the president has made it compulsory. When the announcement is made the unadjusteds flee, some are captured and chaos reigns.
This fast paced, immersive book takes you on a whirlwind ride.
I was immediately gripped, the characters were so likeable, I was completely invested.
The book shows people as they really are, flawed and impressionable, it also shows how opinions can be changed.
I was heartbroken in places, on the edge of my seat in others. Up until the early hours as I couldn’t put it down!
It’s so good I’ve asked for the remaining books in the trilogy for my birthday/Christmas this year.
Marisa’s writing is perfect. I’m always hooked within the first page.
A perfect dystopian book which was a joy to read.
Profile Image for Heather James.
Author 3 books58 followers
October 16, 2019
Thank you so much Marisa Noelle for sending me a copy of this action-packed novel to review. I was excited from the moment I read the blurb and this story didn't disappoint for a moment. The (very believable) sci-fi elements of this dystopian narrative was superb.

In a world where 'normal' means being enhanced to super-human levels, unadjusted Silver has a hard time fitting in. Her life gets even tougher when nefarious President Bear changes the laws about remaining unadjusted, sending Silver on the run. But Silver is determined not to hide forever; with the help of allies she never expected to make, she resolves to go on the offensive to save her parents and end President Bear's reign of terror before there's nothing left to save.

Here are three things I loved about The Unadjusteds:

1) The romance and relationships in this story were really well done; believable and realistic, they drew you in, but never overshadowed the central, action-packed narrative.

2) It's fast-paced and full of action. It reminded me of YA heavyweights like the Hunger Games and Divergent - it would make a superb film!

3) I really enjoyed thinking about the nanite technology, wondering what I might pick given the choice. I think a lot of the best YA books do this - give you a selection of clubs, houses or teams to leave you wondering which group you would like to be part of. The animal DNA nanites also fed really well into my topic for my MA last week, where we discussed connections between humans and animals in children's fiction - something The Unadjusteds dealt with in a very different way.

This is the second Noelle novel I have read this year and I can't wait to see what she writes next!
Profile Image for Bethany .
78 reviews15 followers
September 21, 2019
Where to begin. Firstly, thank you to Marisa for sending me this book!

Silver is 16 years old and lives in a world where 80% of the population have altered their DNA through 'nanite' pills. Silvers parents are the creators of the nanite yet Silver remains an 'unadjusted' and she is intent on remaining that way. Soon the president declares that the unadjusteds MUST take a nanite pill Silver and her friends must flee and try to find a way to save humanity and rescue her family. She flees the city with her father who suddenly gets captured, her mother is already in prison and Silver finds herself alone in the middle of the woods with an 'altered' bulk in army clothing.

I enjoyed reading this book so much! Marisa does a fantastic job world building and character building throughout. With a large group of characters to help Silver on her journey each one is well written and no information is left out on how and why they decided to make the choices they did, whether it be why they took a nanite, what powers they possess and how to control them, why they chose NOT to take a nanite, regrets they have and what their role in the group will be. With a lot of information and character building on such a large amount of relevant characters it would be easy to get bogged down in endless pages of description and tedious explanations. However, this is not the case in this novel at all. Marisa's excellent writing style flows smoothly and does not drag you under in pages of description but you get all the information around these characters that you could hope for. very well done.

The characters themselves are excellent and imaginative! It also gave me moments of shock and out loud gasping, especially towards the ending in relation to where each character ends up on this journey. Silver finds herself with knowledge and powers of her own which is a very good character development for a character such as hers. The relationships she forms with a wide variety of people are well developed (in different ways) and she starts to find herself along the way and loses many prejudices she has towards others.

Each character faces personal battles of their own which comes through very nicely throughout this novel and we learn a lot about each one, even when they seem like such a minor character. It shows that even the smallest of characters can have big impacts on the people and situations around them and I love that. No one is too small or insignificant to play a part in the world.

Overall, I enjoyed reading this very much and I am hoping their is a sequel as it feels like the journey of these characters has only just begun! (is it too soon to want it already!?)
Profile Image for Sherrie.
4 reviews
December 8, 2021
Loved it all. Just want more!

Loved this Series. I just wish there was a 4th, 5th, and 6th book in this Series. Please, PRETTY PLEASE!!??!!....♡♡♡♡
Profile Image for Amelia Carr.
206 reviews
April 15, 2022
This is a dystopian story which is not a genre I've really read before but thoroughly enjoyed! Very strong characters that you connect with so easily and an action packed story that's sweeps you along. Going straight onto book 2
Profile Image for Amy.
Author 4 books16 followers
Read
May 25, 2021
Review to come...

I was definitely interested when Marisa offered the opportunity to read The Unadjusteds as I don't tend to read a lot of dystopia literature anymore. I was, however, surprised how much I enjoyed my time reading The Unadjusteds and would definitely recommend it.

I was definitely part of the dystopian phase when it was hot around the Hunger Games series and after I got out of that phase, I have always been interested in finding new and unique worlds that are different. The Unadjusteds does offer a new world, where DNA can be changed and I think that it blends sci-fi and fantasy well as some characters have wings and can turn invisible. I did really like it and how the plot developed as a result. I do think that the kind of evil leader was a little predictable but it did not take away from the overall story.

I did also really like the writing especially the beginning as it was really fast-paced and I think that the world was developed easily in the first couple of chapters and got me really into the story. I raced through the first half of the book and I think for a book that is over 400 pages, it did not feel like that. This is really great and I felt like it was easy to read.

I did like all the characters in the book and feel like they were well-developed and were easy to relate to, as much as they can be in a dystopian world. I felt like we definitely get this through Silver as we do see her develop throughout the story through the love of her family. I also think we see that she does somewhat accept what she has is taught to hate for the love of her family.

I do love a focus on family in the book and this is something that is included in the Unadjusteds and I really loved it. Especially when dealing with the idea that Silver has to save her parents. I also did like the romantic relationship and he was also a likeable character and it did not overshadow the story.

The book did leave with a cliffhanger ending but at the same time, it was also quite open. I don't know if there is a sequel to the book but I would be interested to read it if there is one!

The Verdict:

The Unadjusteds is a fast-paced and engaging read that is worthy of being your next read!
Profile Image for Anna Orridge.
12 reviews
December 3, 2019
A terrific YA sci fi adventure, with a vivid cast of characters and a story that will keep you turning the pages right until the satisfying end.

Silver Melody, a high school student and skilled martial artist, has her life turned upside down when her scientist parents are imprisoned by the ruthless President Bear. They are inventors of 'nanites', pills that alter the DNA of their consumers, giving them wings, or great strength, or skills such as superhuman speed. The majority of the US has succumbed to the temptation to take at least one nanite. Headstrong Silver, however, is determined to remain an Unadjusted. She promised a friend whose nanite failed to 'take' and who died a terrible, agonising death as a result.

When the government turns savagely on the Unadjusteds, Silver must go into hiding and join the rebellion against President Bear. But he has her parents, and will stop at nothing to capture her and her fellow rebels.

Mental health themes are treated with great sensitivity, and I really enjoyed the love triangle at the centre of this story, between Silver, her best friend Matt and fellow rebel and 'bulk', Joe. It is a tribute to the writer's skill that it was easy to keep up with the many characters.

The novel left me very eager to read the sequel, and find out what happens to Silver and her friends next.

Profile Image for Kath Olukoya.
212 reviews1 follower
October 17, 2022
Ever wanted wings, a tail or super strength? Or perhaps a pair of fancy horns? Take a nanite pill and you can literally transform your body to anything you desire. The only minor side effect is the possibility of a quick and painful death where you fall down and foam at the mouth.

I loved the world building and idea of the nanites in this dystopian tale, although their presence in the story resemble more of a magic system than anything scientific. Its fun following the large cast of characters and their endless range of abilities. The book is pacey and a page turner. I enjoyed this and will be picking up the second in the trilogy.
Displaying 1 - 30 of 84 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.