Start by marking “Sunset Beach” as Want to Read:
Sunset Beach

Sunset Beach

3.87  ·  Rating details ·  16,983 ratings  ·  1,940 reviews
Pull up a lounge chair and have a cocktail at Sunset Beach – it comes with a twist.

Drue Campbell’s life is adrift. Out of a job and down on her luck, life doesn’t seem to be getting any better when her estranged father, Brice Campbell, a flamboyant personal injury attorney, shows up at her mother’s funeral after a twenty-year absence. Worse, he’s remarried – to Drue’s
Published May 7th 2019 by St. Martin's Press

To ask other readers questions about Sunset Beach, please sign up.
Emily It's available in audio, releasing 5/7 like the other editions.

·  16,983 ratings  ·  1,940 reviews

Start your review of Sunset Beach
Deanna
May 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs, 2019-releases
My reviews can also be seen at: https://deesradreadsandreviews.wordpr...

I’m surprised that it has taken me this long to read a book by Mary Kay Andrews. However, I’m excited to have found a “new to me” author with such an extensive backlist!

Thirty-six-year old Drue Campbell has fifteen minutes to get to work but knows she'll never make it on time. If she was back in Fort Lauderdale, she could call a friend or take an Uber. Unfortunately, Drue just moved back to the west coast so she doesn't have
marilyn
Apr 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was my first Mary Kay Andrews book and I'll certainly be reading more of her work. I love the cover of the book which is really misleading because things are much darker in the book than the cover conveys. At the same time, we get to enjoy the beach and a worn out beach house that gets to come alive again as you read the book. In some ways I think the beach house coming alive and the life of Drue, the main character, mirror each other.

Drue took some getting used to for me but mostly that w
Julie
Aug 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
Sunset Beach by Mary Kay Andrews is a 2019 St. Martin’s Press publication.

A perfect beach read mystery!

Drue, now in her mid-thirties, finds herself at loose ends, heading in no clear direction. Her mother recently passed away, and an injury ended her competitive days as a kite boarder. Adding insult to injury, she gets fired from her job. As a last resort, she reluctantly accepts a job offer from her estranged father, who is a personal injury lawyer.

So, she moves to Sunset Beach and into the
Paula
Jul 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Beach bums
Recommended to Paula by: Bookclub
The beach chairs on the cover had me when I saw this book being read by many Goodreads friends. What a surprisingly fun summer read!

Drue Campbell, a thirty-something cocktail waitress, gets fired and decides to go work for her estranged, attorney father after her mom passes away and moves back to St. Petersburg. She inherits her grandmother’s run down beach cottage at Sunset Beach and decides to get the place back in shape. Secrets are to be found in the old cottage and a mystery unfolds.

Mary Ka
Berit☀️✨
ꜰᴜɴ. ʙᴇᴀᴄʜʏ. ᴍʏꜱᴛᴇʀʏ.

This was an entertaining beach read packed with Mystery and an added splash of romance and family drama. Mary Kay Andrews has written one heck of a perfect beach Mystery. When I pick this up I was expecting a bit more of a contemporary beach romance, but I was pleasantly surprised buy this charming Mystery. I loved being dumped into the middle of Druze messy life and watching her pick up the pieces and solve a couple mysteries. So pick up your detective hat, grab your biki
Larry H
Apr 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
Sunset Beach has a little family drama, a little unsolved mystery, a little romance, and a beach setting. Not bad, eh?

Drue has had a bad run of luck. She was about to turn pro as a kiteboarder when a knee injury ended things for her. Her mother just died, leaving her broke and homeless, and then her estranged father turns up at her mother’s funeral.

Her father comes bearing a job offer at his law firm and news that she has inherited her grandparents’ condo on Sunset Beach. The last thing she
Tina
Jun 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library-books
I love this book. The book is mostly about a young woman finding herself and learning to love her father. There is two deaths that is solve during this book, and I have to say that I did not see either case ending how they did. I love that the author keep me guessing through out this book. This book is a romance/mystery book - I think. If you love those type of books you should read this book. (*)
Susanne  Strong
Jun 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
What a Fun, Beach Mystery!

Drue finds herself at wit’s end after losing her mom and her job in the same week. Recovering from a sports injury, she is at a loss as to what to do with her life until her estranged father offers her a job at his law firm and informs her that she has inherited her grandparent’s cottage on “Sunset Beach.” With a new lease on life, thirty-something Drue moves to Sunset Beach.

There, she starts her job at the firm as an Intake Specialist, working for her father, and his
Nilufer Ozmekik
May 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Four sea breezing, kites flying, sun shining, I didn’t expect to like so much mysterious stars!

This is my second round with MKA. I did read Beach town before. It was okay but not on my list of all time favorites! Lately my bad luck with chic lit books made me doubt and a little biased before starting this book.

But as soon as I turn the pages, story attracted my full attention, I wanted to know more about our heroine, Drue, her life, motives, dysfunctional family and personal relationships. She
Erin
Feb 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle, netgalley
Thanks to Netgalley and St Martin's Press for an e-ARC in exchange for an honest review.

Honestly, I didn't read the entire synopsis of this book before heading over to Netgalley to snap it up. So far, Sunset Beach is my favorite deceptive cover of 2019. I feel I need to create this new category because those beach chairs swayed me into thinking this would be straight up contemporary romance. I have never been so delighted to be proven wrong. Yes romance and family drama is present, but when
Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader
May 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
4 bold stars to Sunset Beach! ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️

Drue Campbell is having a hard time. She’s lost her job and nothing sunny is on the horizon. Her mother has passed away, and her father, Brice Campbell, whom she hasn’t seen in over twenty years, shows up to the funeral.

The icing on the cake is that Brice is married to Wendy, a frenemy of Drue’s from middle school. Brice and Wendy offer Drue a job at Brice’s personal injury law office…

The job doesn’t sound desirable, but Drue also has an inheritance; a
Meredith B.  (readingwithmere)
4.5 Stars...rounded up!

Is it truly summer unless you've read a Mary Kay Andrews's book? I look forward to her book coming out every May and the covers always give me serious summer vibes! However, don't let this beach cover fool you, this book has some serious depth!

Drue was doing what she loved - kiteboarding and working on the side to bring in some cash. Her life is then turned around when her mother passes and now she's suddenly out of a job. When Drue goes to her mother's funeral her estrang
Bkwmlee
May 25, 2019 rated it liked it
Technically, this book came in at just a little under 3 stars for me, but it was close enough that I decided to just go with that rating. For me, this one was able to stand out as a “better than average” beach read mostly through the way that the author Mary Kay Andrews was able to incorporate a bona fide mystery into the story that actually did keep my interest but didn’t dive too deep as to overwhelm the rest of the story. I also liked the cast of quirky, unconventional characters and how most ...more
Carrie
May 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Mary Kay Andrews has done it yet again with this new novel, Sunset Beach. Looking at the covers of her novels you would almost expect to be picking up a contemporary romance but instead there has been so much more involved in her stories making them a bit hard to label and classify as any one thing.

In Sunset Beach readers meet Drue Campbell who is one of those characters that has really yet to find herself even though she’s in her thirties. Drue’s passion had been kite boarding but she’s had to
Jenny
Jun 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
It was a con. It was a con that I fell for. The cover of Sunset Beach screamed summer read; and I fell for it. I pictured myself at the beach under a colorful umbrella protecting me from the suns rays. With the cool drink beside me, I would pick up this novel and settle in for a large afternoon of reading but with idyllic day dreaming intruding on the printed page. The cover of the book seemed to promise this.
But this is not what I got. Instead of a nice beach read, I got a voyage on a choppy se
ABookwormWithWine
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️💫 / 5 (4.5/5)

Progression of reading MKA: Read The Weekenders, didn't love it; read The High Tide Club and loved it, so much heart! A mystery! Humor!; reads Sunset Beach BAM, Mary Kay Andrews has officially become an auto-buy author for me.

What it's about: Drue Campbell has recently lost both her mom and her job, so when her absentee dad shows up offering to let her work at his law firm, it doesn't take her long to decide she should do it. Luckily, her mom left her a bungalow on Sunset B
Judy
Apr 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Loved it and highly recommend this as a great beach read! I truly got started and was lost in this one for two days - couldn't put it down. This is my first Mary Kay Andrews read and I'm sure I will be reading more soon. Loved the characters and the plot. There's a couple of mysteries here and a love story as well as a little growing up and being an adult. Drue Campbell was a believable character and I liked the historic beach town setting.

At the end Ms. Andrews shares her adventures searching f
Susan's Reviews
Apr 20, 2019 marked it as to-read
My thanks to the author, the publisher and NetGalley for an ARC of this novel in exchange for an honest review.
So, get ready to go along for a long, bumpy ride as Drue tries to solve an old mystery which may or may not incriminate her estranged father (who recently hired her to come work at his law firm.)

I felt the story could have used a fair amount of trimming. By chapter 40, I was ready for this story to come to a graceful conclusion. Well, 65 chapters and one Epilogue later, this very long,
Stephanie
Mar 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: women-s-fiction, arc
Mary Kay Andrews is on fire with her newest summer read! I've been reading MKA since the early 90s and own all of her books, but I think she just keeps getting better with every book, and Sunset Beach is the perfect example. I loved everything and I mean everything about Sunset Beach!

Thirty-six year old Drue Campbell doesn't feel like her life can possibly get any worse than it already is when her estranged father, a hot-shot personal injury lawyer walks back into her life and offers her a job.
✨ Gramy ✨

I attempted to listen to the audio version of this book. It turns out the printed version would have been equally offensive. It appears I am in the minority, such as it is. Different strokes for different folks as the old adage goes.

Consequently, this is definitely not my cup of tea! I don't think I heard a whole chapter before I closed this book and pitched it to the DNF pile.

I do not appreciate profanity in any shape or form - not in my personal life, not in music or movies, and not in my l
Judy D Collins
I absolutely LOVE MKA and all her books! SUNSET BEACH is a perfect beach read, mixed with thrilling suspense, humor, chick-lit, and a multi-generational mystery. (always love parent's dark secrets). Do we ever really know our parents?

Drue Campbell is down on her luck. (you are going to love her). Her mom died. She is suffering from a knee injury from kiteboarding, and just lost her waitressing job in Ft. Lauderdale. Her estranged father Brice Campbell, a flamboyant personal injury attorney (
Leslie Ray
May 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. It wasn't necessarily categorized under mystery but should be as there were 2 mysteries surrounding the main character, Drue, who ends up working for her father's law firm. She is at a low point in her life, and agrees to the job offered by her father who has come back into her life after the death of her mother. There is romance but I found the mysteries she is embroiled in more enjoyable. This would make a good series as I enjoyed the interaction between Drue and De ...more
Anita
Mar 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, arc

This is my first book by Mary Kay Andrews, although she is a favorite of my oldest daughter. Should be fun! I've got a conundrum with this book. I'm not sure just what it is. I didn't read the blurb and started expecting a Chick-Lit sort of romance. It's not really that. It is definitely Chick-Lit as the 36 year old chick is sorting out issues from her childhood with her father
Mary Jackson _TheMaryReader
Jun 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
Are you looking for a beach read? I have found you the best one of 2019. It is full of romance, suspense and surprising twists you never see coming.
This book has it all. Andrews is the queen of beach reads and this book did not disappoint. I HIGHLY recommend this book.
Make sure before you head out on your vacation that this book is in your bag.
4.5 stars and I can't wait for you all to read it.
The Mary Reader received this book from the publisher for review. A favorable review was not required an
Cammie
Aug 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
Drue Campbell's life is off course following her mother's death, the break up with a boyfriend, an injury, and the loss of her job; and now her father, whom she hasn't seen in twenty years, shows up with good news and bad news. He's offering her a job at his law firm where she will have to work with his new wife, a former friend of Drue's, and Drue has inherited her grandparents' beach cottage in Sunset Beach, but the house needs a lot of work. (You will have to decide which is the good news and ...more
Selena
May 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received a free copy of Sunset Beach by Mary Kay Andrews from NetGalley for my honest review.

This is the first book I have ready by Mary Kay Andrews and I was very impressed.

Drue is 36 years old, has no career and her life is without purpose. She has lost her mother to cancer and Drue is just lost in life. Her estranged father suddenly offers her a job in his law firm.

Drue excepts the job, and returns home to where she grew up 20 years ago. Drue blames her dad for everything that has happened
Amy
May 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: physical-arcs
This is only my second book my MKA and I’m so excited to see she has such an extensive backlist because I enjoyed this one so much! I really expected it be light and fluffy but it went darker than I thought as it delves into two murder cases. Besides that though it did have plenty of lighthearted humor, romance and a heroine that I was rooting for all along.

I don’t often describe WF as gripping but this one really was, Drue stumbles upon an old unsolved missing persons case and she’s also diggin
Holly
Mar 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
*Received an ARC through St. Martins Press in exchange for an honest review.

I’m beginning to think of Mary Kay Andrews books as the perfect summer reads. This had it all: a setting set in sunny Florida, family dynamics, a mystery to solve, and a little romance thrown in for good measure. I admit that at first I didn’t like the main character, Drue, but she slowly grew on me and I even liked her by the end. Sunset Beach was fantastic and perfect to read if you’re going to the beach:)
Melissa
This is my second Mary Kay Andrews novel and it is GOOD! Mix family drama with two mysteries-solving, add a little romance and a lot of sun and sand, and you got yourself an awesome summer read.

I must admit that I didn't guess at all everything that happens in the book and I suspected the wrong persons!

Thank you so much to St. Martin's Press for the early copy of the book in exchange for an honest review.
Dianne
Mar 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have been reading books by Mary Kay Andrews and her pseudonym Kathy Hogan Trocheck for years and years. She has only bombed maybe once and when I mean bombed -I mean that she got two stars from me. Most of her books are 3's, 4's and even 5's. I had a difficult time deciding what amount of stars to give this book. It is written in such a different style that I'm used to from the author. These characters are deeper with more problems to deal with and the issues they are dealing with are grittier ...more

• Queen Bee (Lowcountry Tales, #12)
  • The Summer Guests
  • 28 Summers
  • The Friends We Keep
  • California Girls
  • Girls of Summer
  • The Southern Side of Paradise (Peachtree Bluff #3)
  • Feels Like Falling
  • The Lemon Sisters (Wildstone, #3)
  • Let It Snow
  • Sunrise on Half Moon Bay
  • The Islanders
Mary Kay Andrews is the pen name of American writer Kathy Hogan Trocheck, based in Atlanta, who has authored a number of best-selling books under the Andrews pen name since 2002.

Trochek graduated from the University of Georgia with a journalism degree in 1976. She worked as a reporter at a number of papers, and spent 11 years as a reporter for the Atlanta Journal-Constitution before leaving to wri

Articles featuring this book

Summer Reading is sponsored by Lifetime’s Book to Screen Movies. Authors tend to be very well-read people. To help you find some...
“Everything was in order, although coated in dust, cobwebs and what looked like an entire village of dead bugs. A pegboard held his saws, chisels, hammers, vises and screwdrivers. He’d used old wooden cigar boxes with tiny knobs screwed to each to construct drawers for a homemade cubby holding a wide assortment of nails, screws, bolts and washers. The power tools were neatly arranged on the wooden shelves beside the bench. An old nail barrel held scraps of lumber. She inhaled deeply. The shed smelled of cigar smoke, WD-40 and sawdust. It smelled like Papi.” 0 likes