Start by marking “The First Mistake” as Want to Read:
The First Mistake

The First Mistake

3.75  ·  Rating details ·  16,389 ratings  ·  2,767 reviews
From Sandie Jones, the author of the Reese Witherspoon x Hello Sunshine Book Club Pick and New York Times bestseller The Other Woman, comes an addictively readable new domestic suspense about a wife, her husband, and the woman who is supposedly her best friend.

THE WIFE: For Alice, life has never been better. With her second husband, she has a successful business, two child
Published June 11th 2019 by Minotaur Books

To ask other readers questions about The First Mistake, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Melissa
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

·  16,389 ratings  ·  2,767 reviews

Start your review of The First Mistake
Katie B
Apr 08, 2019 rated it really liked it

I read this almost a month ago and I've put off writing a review because there are so many things I want to say about this book but I'm having a hard time trying to find the words without giving too much away about the plot. So my apologies, but this review is going to be pretty vague. I will say though I had so much fun reading this one. If you enjoyed the author's previous novel, The Other Woman, I highly recommend checking this one out as I think this one is better.

Alice runs a succe
Chelsea Humphrey
Many moons ago (November of 2017 to be exact), I had the privilege of reading an early manuscript of Sandie Jones's debut novel The Other Woman, and I knew once I finished it that the publishing industry had found something really special. I was completely shocked by the ending, and perhaps that set my expectations to unrealistic standards while going into The First Mistake. Don't get me wrong, this was another entertaining page-turner, but unfortunately I found that it fell into many of the sam ...more
Deanna
Jul 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs, 2019-releases
My reviews can also be seen at: https://deesradreadsandreviews.wordpr...

Alice appears to have it all. She has a great family, a wonderful home, and a successful business.

Alice's first husband, Tom died over ten years ago, and it was devastating. But eventually, she met and fell in love with Nathan and married for the second time.

Alice and Nathan have been trying to land a deal for a big project in Japan. AT Designs is the company that Alice and Tom started. Nathan joined the company and takes ca
Kaceey
May 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a book I’ve been hearing such great things about lately. As anxious as I was to immediately dig into it, I feared the hype may be overrated, leaving one disappointed reader. Well...my worries couldn’t be further from reality! I loved it! It most certainly deserves all the buzz it’s been receiving.

Early on I was sure I had a handle on this twisty gem. Not even close. The curves never quit coming! And the ending...BAM!

How well do you really know the love of your life...or your best friend
megs_bookrack
Sep 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs-read
**3.5-stars rounded up**

The First Mistake was a delightful weekend read. I recommend you pick this up if you are looking to escape life for a while.

I completed this in under 24-hours. I literally could not put it down. This one whisked me away into another person's craziness and that was just what I needed!

Alice's life hasn't always been perfect, although from the outside it may appear so.

She lost her first husband, Tom, a decade ago and as expected, the tragedy hit her extremely hard. Her you
Larry H
Apr 29, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
3.5 stars.

Another thriller, another crazy ride.

Truthfully though, the more thrillers I read, the more I feel that my life isn't nearly as screwed up as I think it is sometimes!

Alice had an idyllic life with her husband Tom, a growing business, and a beautiful young daughter. His sudden death at a young age tore Alice apart, leaving her shattered, and unable to regain control of her life for a short while. Ultimately she realized her daughter meant the world to her, and she owed it to her—to the
Susanne  Strong
Jun 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
4 Stars

Be Careful WHO you place your trust in!

Alice is a happily married mother of two. Nathan really has been a life saver and she loves him desperately. Not as much as her first husband Tom, but still, enough. Their business is thriving and life is good.

Beth is Alice’s best friend. Beth has always struggled - ever since her boyfriend left her alone and pregnant.

Through thick and thin, Beth and Alice have always had each other. Who knew they would be tested with something like this?

What happe
Holly  B
Jun 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.5 Stars!

A fast-paced and twisty read that is full of twists and turns!

I absolutely loved this author's debut novel, The Other Womanand went into this one with high expectations.This one was more predictable, but  I was pleased at how the reveals slowly expose what is going on beneath the surface.  I figured out all the big twists, but  I was still pleased. Still found myself whispering... what the heck is going on here!

It moved quickly and kept me interested and the whole  the wife,
j e w e l s
May 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-bejeweled
FOUR STARS

I like THE FIRST MISTAKE. I was afraid I wouldn't.

I like it mucho mucho more than The Other Woman and since I gave that one a three star rating, it seems only fair to give Jones’s newest novel four big ones.

There are only three main characters in THE FIRST MISTAKE and I love that. We have a wife and husband and wife’s best friend. That’s it. These three characters become so entwined, confused and convoluted--- you can’t even imagine!

While the writing borders on a bit cheesy for me, th
marilyn
Jun 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had fun reading The First Mistake by Sandie Jones. It was a quick easy read for me and had my mind reeling with all the twists and turns. Despite the fact that I was correct with some of my suspicions about what was going on the in the book, I enjoyed finding out why things were happening and who was doing exactly what.

Alice lost her first husband in an accident, had a nervous breakdown and was 'saved' by her second husband, Nathan, who now works with her in the business that Alice and her fi
Debra
Aug 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
Trust is a tricky thing, especially when it is misplaced, lost, damaged or ruined...

Alice believes she has it all. After the death of her first husband, she has found love again, has a best friend and healthy children. But when her husband, Nathan begins acting strangely, Alice confides in her best friend, Beth, but is that the best idea?

Secrets, lies, betrayal, doubt, anger, deceit, where will it end and how/why did it begin?

This was a fast read full of twists and turns. Just when you think you
Dennis
If you loved Sandie Jones' debut novel The Other Woman, then I urge you to pick up her upcoming The First Mistake when it hits shelves this Spring. This fast-paced domestic thriller packs a punch—friendship, love and relationships, sex, betrayal—it has it all.

The story is centered around a wife, her husband, and her best friend, but the mystery behind all three characters is not your typical domestic thriller. Alice and her husband own an architectural design company and its become a flouri
Kendall
May 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Where do I begin with The First Mistake?

I am again torn as to what to give this book for a review. This was such a fast, engrossing, and quick read! I was hanging on by the edge of my toes!! My goodness I couldn't turn those pages fast enough to figure out what was going on.

Although.... my detective skills definitely didn't steer me wrong on this one. I had some of the plot/twists figured out but just needed a bit of help for that final twist. But, unfortunately, the final reveal just left me a
Jayme
Jun 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Let me start by saying that I was in the minority opinion, regarding the author’s debut novel...”The Other Woman”.

I didn’t find the relationships or dialogue in that novel realistic, AT ALL, so when this book became available as an ARC...I did not request it.

But, then I read a review from another reader who sat in the minority with me, and she convinced me that the author had “upped her game” with this one-AND it also became a Reese Witherspoon-“Hello Sunshine Book Club” pick-causing my curios
Sandra ~ ♥ Cross My Heart ♥
From the moment I read the first page until the moment I read the last (3 times over!), The First Mistake held me captive. Real life ceased to exist as my heart rate picked up, my stomach got that funny kind of impending doom feeling, and I'm pretty sure I held my breath until this twisted story ended. And then, I sat there stunned - book in hand, staring at the final words . . . thinking "what the h*ll just happened"?! I'll say it right now . . . Carve out enough time to read this book beginnin ...more
Cortney LaScola - The Bookworm Myrtle Beach
I literally figured out the entire ending by page 40. I'm too enraged to write any more of a review. 2 angry stars! 😡😤😡
Suzy
Jun 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
4 stars! ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

Usually, I’m on the fence about reading books that generate a ton of buzz. I tend to go into those books with super high expectations only to be letdown in the end. This is not one of those books! The First Mistake deserves all the hype, praise and buzz it’s getting. It’s really good!

You really can’t trust any of the characters in this book. So many twists and turns - my head is spinning! That ending? Well, that was totally unexpected and I loved it!

This was my first experienc
Laura • lauralovestoread
Mar 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arcs, 2019, netgalley-arcs
I loved The Other Woman by Sandie Jones, so I had a feeling going into The First Mistake that I would love it too, and I was right!

Not only does the beautiful cover draw you in, but the writing and suspense draws you in right away too. Alice is a working Mom to two girls, who we see with a thriving business and juggling her career and motherhood right away. As things progress into her story, we are left with the mystery behind the death of her first husband Tom, and the angst from her daughter,
Elizabeth
Jun 09, 2019 rated it it was ok
The First Mistake is a fast read--and that's because everyone and everything in it will be familiar if you've ever read a thriller. The best thing I can say about this is that as soon as you start this, you know exactly where Alice, Nathan, and Beth are headed.

But! Let's run through the checklist:

--Mc Alice being attractive and rich but still insecure enough to be "relatable"

--Mention of the "best friend" not having as much money or success or of a love life (all three!)

--Copious wine drinking
Elizabeth of Silver's Reviews
May 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Double lives? cheating husbands? money flowing perhaps in the wrong direction? twists, and surprises will greet the reader in THE FIRST MISTAKE.

We meet Nathan and Alice - in love and happy until odd things start to happen and Alice questions how happy they really are.

Alice had been married before to Tom, and Tom had died while on a skiing trip. Alice still loved Tom even though she was married to Nathan.

THE FIRST MISTAKE takes us on a roller coaster ride as Alice suffers with her mental problems
ABookwormWithWine
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ / 5

Here is the nitty-gritty truth - The First Mistake by Sandie Jones is a solid book that I really enjoyed, but it didn't blow me away near as much as a lot of other readers.

What it's about: After Alice's husband Tom died, she was torn apart and left with a small child on her own. So she was ecstatic when, a short time later, she meets her current husband Nathan and falls in love. Now life is good again; she has 2 girls, a happy marriage, a beautiful home, and a thriving business. She
Monika Sadowski
Jun 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Page turner on the way!! June 11th to be exact. There is so much going on in this book. When I thought I knew what will be next, another twist popped out. Good writing, very well-developed characters and big surprise on the end. I hope sandy Jones will write many more books because so far, she is doing great job.

Thank you to NetGalley and St. Martin’s Press for a free copy in exchange for an honest review.
Darinda
Jun 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Alice lost her first husband in a sudden accident. She was devastated with the loss, but now has her life back on track. She's got a successful business, a charming second husband, two good kids, and a best friend. Alice also suffers from anxiety and irrational fears. When she starts to suspect everything is not as wonderful as it seems, she isn't sure who she can trust.

Alice is a successful woman in both her personal and professional lives. She has a lot going for her, but she also has some anx
Meredith B.  (readingwithmere)
Jun 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
4 Stars!

Trust is a funny thing; it takes such a long time to build, yet it's broken in a second.

Alice had a great life with her first husband Tom. They had a child and enough money to live a comfortable life. One day, Tom is in a tragic accident and life just isn't the same without Alice's perfect husband. Eventually, she meets Nathan and falls in love again. She has another child with Nathan and they are running a successful business. What could go wrong?

One day, Alice logs into social medi
Linda
Jan 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
Well now......

The First Mistake is leaning heavily on others to get you through the day. Alice is finding that she's been served a heavy portion of woe-is-me and I-can't-make-it-through-the day without a bucket of red wine served in a jumbo tumbler. She's ten years out from the loss of her first husband, Tom, and she's on to a second marriage with Nathan. Tom still dances a tango in her head from the moment she wakes in the morning and until she crashes in bed at night. Move along, Girlie.

Alice
Liz
Aug 22, 2019 rated it it was ok

DNF - 40%

The first hour or so of this book had me wondering whether I had made a mistake. It just wasn’t catching my attention. My review of The Other Woman reminded me it took me awhile to become invested in that. So, I decided to stay with it.

But my concerns continued. I kept debating whether I should return this to audible. I found Alice to be a simpering mess who was irritating the hell out of me. Certain plot points seemed totally unbelievable. How much of a book are you allowed to listen
Selena
Jun 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I received a free e-copy of The First Mistake from Bookish First and Netgalley for my honest review.

A fast paced domestic thriller that you absolutely have to read! Sandie Jones is an amazing writer who pulls the reader in deeper and deeper leaving you with questions that must be answered. A book you can't put down.

Alice has an amazing life, despite the fact that she lost her first husband years ago. She has moved on and started a family with her amazingly perfect husband, Nathan. Alice also ha
Frank Phillips
Jun 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
4.5 Thrilling Stars rounded up!! Sandie Jones is my new favorite Thriller writer. I've read both of her books and both of them have impressed me. In this genre, that I read way too much of, it's hard to do that, and she continues to deliver!! The pacing, the plot, the ending, everything was on point in this one. It wasn't too long either, which I've come across with this type of read, every sentence felt like it had its purpose and I couldn't put this one down! The twists just kept coming and th ...more
Mary Jackson _TheMaryReader
Jun 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
I true friend will always be there to catch you when you fall , or will they? In the 4.5 star read Jones has done it again The First Mistake is even better than The Other Woman. I read it in a couple of hours never putting it down. I was captured from the very first chapter. This is a 2019 must read. We all want a thriller that will thrill us, right? This is your book.
The Mary Reader received this book from the publisher for review. A favorable review was not required and all views expressed are
Dale Harcombe
Jun 16, 2020 rated it liked it
Alice is married to Nathan, has two children, a successful career and a beautiful house. It seems she has it all, although she does still live in the past, wondering how different her life would have been had Tom her first husband lived. Alice has suffered through the dark hole of depression. She still relies on pills and alcohol to get her through each day, even though he has found a second chance at love and marriage. She is also thankful to have a best friend in Beth, a single mum, who she ha ...more
Bookish First Rea...: The First Mistake by Sandie Jones 2 12 Oct 23, 2019 04:55AM

• The Birthday Girl
  • The Perfect Wife
  • The Escape Room
  • A Nearly Normal Family
  • Lock Every Door
  • The Last Widow (Will Trent, #9)
  • False Step
  • The Turn of the Key
  • The Other Mrs.
Sandie Jones has worked as a freelance journalist for over twenty years, and has written for publications including the Sunday Times, Woman’s Weekly and the Daily Mail. She lives in London with her husband and three children. The Other Woman is her debut novel.

Articles featuring this book

Want to read the latest and greatest in the mystery and thriller genre? We dug into our data to find readers' top 20 mysteries published in the...
“Trust is a funny thing; it takes such a long time to build, yet it’s broken in a second. She shouldn’t trust me—it will be her undoing.” 0 likes
“I get that, but the longer you worry about what might happen to them, the less time you’ve got to enjoy yourself and live the best possible life you can live.” 0 likes