Start by marking “Tell Me How You Really Feel” as Want to Read:
Tell Me How You Really Feel

Tell Me How You Really Feel

Sana Khan is a cheerleader and a straight A student. She's the classic (somewhat obnoxious) overachiever determined to win.

Rachel Recht is a wannabe director who's obsesssed with movies and ready to make her own masterpiece. As she's casting her senior film project, she knows she's found the perfect lead - Sana.

There's only one problem. Rachel hates Sana. Rachel was the
Published June 11th 2019 by Feiwel & Friends

To ask other readers questions about Tell Me How You Really Feel, please sign up.

Start your review of Tell Me How You Really Feel
Cece (ProblemsOfaBookNerd)
I am lying face down on the floor I’m so gay and overwhelmed
✨    jamieson   ✨
idk about you guys, but seeing a book cover that really explicitly shows two girls who are into eachother is giving me all kinds of feels. When I was a kid reading YA, I didn't even know showing f/f couples in books was a thing, and now we're putting them loud and proud on the cover and it's making me so happy.

this cover rules 20GayTeen is officially extended into 2019
Kai
Feb 05, 2019 marked it as to-read
Shelves: owned, queer
the sapphic energy of that cover alone makes me want to run in circles wearing nothing but a pride flag

Elise (TheBookishActress)
releases: 11 June 2019
it's been YEARS and YA just hasn't been catering to my interest in sapphic romantic comedies AND NOW HERE WE ARE LOOK HOW FAR WE'VE COME, MY DUDES
Lola
This is a decent enemies-to-lovers story. I say ‘‘decent’’ because so many so-called love/hate relationships are so… tame. There’s no real hate, just annoyance. There’s also no real reason to hate the other person, just mild disagreements. But what I liked about this book is that it shows how two people—in this case two teen girls—can misjudge one another completely, assuming they have nothing in common and no way to connect, only to find themselves being drawn to one another almost ...more
Gabby
This was cute as shit. This is an adorable YA f/f romance that I didn’t know I needed until I read it. It’s hate to love and both of these two main characters were so fleshed out and this story gave me so much life.

We have Sana, this absolutely gorgeous cheerleader who is also a very out of the closet lesbian. She gets described in this book as a south Asian Elizabeth Taylor. Then we have Rachel. Who is taking a film class and she’s directing her first film for this project, and she absolutely
Whitney Atkinson

This book wasn't awful at all, I just felt that it was weighed down by a lot of structural issues, and it was also steeped in a lot of film references, which is something I'm personally not interested in. I actually really enjoyed the characters and character development, which is what typically engages me best in books, so it did a good job at that. I liked how each girl had their own role at school and in their families, and you got to see both sides of it. The hurdle I couldn't get
julianna ➹
what time is it?? [checks watch] sad boi hour

Listen up, my 2.3 followers. I am most definitely not over the moon-- I am under the moon because I had hoped that this could be one of my favorites of 2019. It is not.

(Thank you so much to Feiwel & Friends for providing me w/ an arc of this in exchange for review!! This is an honest review. <3)

>> blog review

Nonetheless, three stars is NOT a bad rating! I actually really enjoyed this book and was thoroughly engaged for the majority of
Lou
Jan 08, 2019 rated it liked it
ARC provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review

*whispers softly* the cover is so beautiful

First and most of all, let’s look at the cover and appreciate it for what it is. I’ve talked so much about how het romances have covers which outright show a boy and girl softly gazing at one another. But gay love stories never have soft covers like that??????? Seeing this cover was so nice. In fact, it was more than nice because it was adorable and very clearly Sapphic and look at how fond
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
DNF

I wanted SO BADLY to adore this, but these characters are... whew. I hated them both from their respective introductions and there's no reprieve in sight. They're both so arrogant and Rachel is legitimately a cruel-hearted bully from the first page we meet her on, and while I know a lot of readers will have fun watching the character development that I'm sure probably occurs later on in this story, I couldn't make it through well enough to find out firsthand. :(

Dahlia
Thank GOD this was as good as I wanted and needed it to be. This book is such a happy place and I'm so excited for fellow rom-com lovers to love it and ship Sana and Rachel as hard as I do.
Natasha
3.5/5

Kinda disappointed? I am really in the middle with this but I do think I enjoyed it.
Romie
damn I really liked this one. I liked the writing style (something I know some people disliked), it helped me connect with the characters, Sana and Rachel. and oh how much I loved these girls. I loved Sana, someone who is so unsure about her future but who knows what she wants. she's someone who knows the final destination, she just can't figure out which way to get there. she's hardworking and true to herself. and I loved Rachel, my smol angry mexican jewish girl. I loved how angry she was, it ...more
Scott
Jul 26, 2019 rated it really liked it

Rachel didn't want anything to do with Sana . . . -- page 75

Tell Me How You Really Feel is author Aminah Mae Safi's sophomore effort, a very enjoyable romantic dramedy featuring two eighteen year-old students who are seniors at an LA prep school. At first it appears that they have little in common with each other, but we find out that's not the case at all.

Sana Khan is a conscientious student from a Persian-Indian family, working hard for good grades (she's considering medical school)
Fadwa (Word Wonders)
Jun 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
actual rating: 4.5 stars

I JUST!!!!! LOVE THIS BOOK!!!! SO MUCH!!!! I CAN'T!!!!!
mo
Oct 04, 2018 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
this book cover single-handedly cleared my skin, blessed my crops, and granted me lasting inner peace.

seriously, though, look at it. it's so warm and cute and tbh, i want to marry this book cover.
Emma
Jun 26, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5 Stars

First, let me just say that I appreciate this cover so much it's unreal. It's not every day that you see two girls lovingly staring at each other on a YA cover and it was about time that someone did something about it!

Now let's talk about the actual book. In my opinion the pacing was a little bit off in the first half of the book, especially in Rachel's parts and when they talked about the movie.
Seeing Sana struggle was very hard but also extremely realistic and well portrayed. Sana's
Lea (drumsofautumn)
Video Review

I fell in love with this book the minute I saw its cover and I'm happy to say that the content did not disappoint. TELL ME HOW YOU REALLY FEEL is a wonderful Contemporary with an incredibly well done enemies to friends to lovers romance and really strong, complex family dynamics!

Hate to love romances is one of my favourite tropes and whenever it is f/f, I am especially drawn to it. But for me these books often miss the mark on fully establishing the different levels of the
tappkalina
Nov 04, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2-star, lgbt-read
This book took me more than 2 weeks to read.
I honestly did not like the writing style, it was dry. Aminah Mae Safi decribed the places and the objects (the boring things) all the time, so I skipped them after a while, but when time came to the emotions, she just told me in two words how they feel and nothing more.
The characters are far from flat, they have personality and goals, but again, I just didn't care.
Also, I kinda understand why Rachel hated Sana, but why Sana liked her is beyond my
Rida Imran
How did i just see this?

A beautiful f/f cover and of the girls is brown? Count me in!
AJ
*Sigh* Apparently when you DNF one book, you start a streak.

I was legitimately so excited about this book. It's about two QPOC, one of them is Muslim, *and* it's my favourite trope: enemies to lovers. Unfortunately, it just...did not work for me.

Some of you may have seen me tweeting about the book that didn't use the word "gay," or "lesbian," or "queer" any variation of those words, and yeah, that's about this book! It felt like the author was really twisting herself into avoiding using these
Jacob Proffitt
Jun 29, 2019 rated it did not like it
I'm dnfing this at about a third in. I just can't stand Rachel. She's mean and rude and assumes the worst in everybody. I can see why she has no friends. Frankly, I don't get what Sana sees in her or why she keeps giving Rachel breaks. It isn't like they've had any real interactions to overcome that really nasty personality problem.

Two other more minor irritants deserve mention. First, there's a pervasive misandry in the subtext of this story. Men have things easy and every woman succeeds in the
. (not active on this account stop adding me)
full review now on my blog!

ARC kindly provided by Feiwel & Friends in exchange for an honest review. All thoughts and opinions are my own.

rep: a Mexican, Jewish main character, a Muslim, lesbian main character, f/f romance

this just made me really want to rewatch gilmore girls. review to come soon!

Taylor
Jul 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
“The nice thing about life, and not the movies, is that there's no curtains, no The End. You can always write your own story. You can always start over and begin again. It doesn't have to make sense or go in a straight line. It happens. You make it happen.”

...

This book was adorable. Honestly, Tell Me How You Really Feel would be a perfect Netflix romantic comedy, AND. IT'S SO GAY.

Sana Khan is a cheerleader and a straight A student. Rachel Recht is a scholarship student who dreams of becoming a
kav (xreadingsolacex)
Jun 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
actual rating: 4.5 stars

“She isn’t just a face. Isn’t just the most beautiful woman in the world. She’s got thoughts and feelings and ambitions and drive. She’s got her own hopes, her own fears. The storytellers take away a lot of agency, saying she ran off because a goddess cursed her with love. But she could have stayed. You always have a choice, no matter what you feel. She made the choice to leave it all behind. To do what was unsafe and unexpected. She decided to be selfish.”

Tell Me
mindful.librarian ☀️
(free review copy) I'll break down my rating because there are STRONG things and less strong things, but overall, HALLELUJAH FOR A F/F ROMANTIC COVER and an engaging story.

Cover: ALL THE STARS. Honestly, I want every bookstore and library on earth to put this on prominent display. If everyone just bought it simply to display, I'd be happy. We need this book cover on posters - like movie posters. Everywhere. Two teen girls, obviously in romantic love. One of them obviously a woman of color. YES.

CaseyTheCanadianLesbrarian
Parts of this YA I loved, and others I feel iffy about. Two seniors at a fancy prep school, one a future doctor with rich grandparents and a "have-to-be-perfect-daughter" complex and the other a scholarship recepient and filmmaker with a huge chip on her shoulder.

Loved: enemies-to-lovers, sometimes unlikable girls, and ethnic/religious diversity (one is a Muslim girl with South Asian and Persian background, the other a Jewish Mexican American). I also thought the writing at times, where the
Amanda Quain
Jan 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Did you always wish that Gilmore Girls was more diverse, and also that Rory and Paris ended up together? Then WOWZER this is the book for you.
- ̗̀  jess  ̖́-
BLOG | https://twitter.com/crowingbooks">TWITTER

I initially picked Tell Me How You Really Feelup because of the very gay cover, but the enemies to lovers and the strong-willed main characters is what drew me in. Enemies to lovers is one of my favourite tropes andTell Me How You Really Feeldoes itsowell.

I loved both of our main characters from the outset. Rachel is vicious, grumpy, and yeah, a bit mean sometimes but it comes from a place of deep-seated ambition and frustration with her

• Her Royal Highness (Royals, #2)
  • Going Off Script
  • These Witches Don't Burn (These Witches Don't Burn, #1)
  • I Wish You All the Best
  • Laura Dean Keeps Breaking Up with Me
  • Birthday
  • Crier's War (Crier's War, #1)
  • Hot Dog Girl
  • The Lady's Guide to Celestial Mechanics (Feminine Pursuits, #1)
  • The Love & Lies of Rukhsana Ali
  • The Meaning of Birds
  • Orpheus Girl
  • Starworld
  • Wilder Girls
Aminah Mae Safi is a writer who explores art, fiction, feminism, and film. She loves Sofia Coppola movies, Bollywood endings, and has seen all of the Fast and Furious franchise. She lives in Los Angeles, CA with her partner and a cat bent on world domination (and another cat that is just here for the snacks). Her 2016 We Need Diverse Books winning story will appear in their forthcoming anthology ...more
“It's kind of amazing what you can do when you decided you can't fail.” 0 likes
“But Rachel wasn't sure Palms had ever had better days. To her, it had always been one of those places where dreams and dreamers had gone to die.” 0 likes