Start by marking “The Nocturnal Brain: Nightmares, Neuroscience, and the Secret World of Sleep” as Want to Read:
The Nocturnal Brain: Nightmares, Neuroscience, and the Secret World of Sleep

The Nocturnal Brain: Nightmares, Neuroscience, and the Secret World of Sleep

For Dr. Guy Leschziner's patients, there is no rest for the weary in mind and body. Insomnia, narcolepsy, night terrors, sleep apnea, and sleepwalking are just a sampling of conditions afflicting sufferers who cannot sleep--and their experiences in trying are the stuff of nightmares. Demoniac hallucinations frighten people into paralysis. Restless legs rock both the sleepl ...more
Published July 23rd 2019 by St. Martin's Press

To ask other readers questions about The Nocturnal Brain, please sign up.
Sheri S. I have a graduate degree in clinical psychology and I thought this book was very interesting. The case studies are fascinating and I learned more abou…moreI have a graduate degree in clinical psychology and I thought this book was very interesting. The case studies are fascinating and I learned more about the range of sleep difficulties.(less)

Start your review of The Nocturnal Brain: Nightmares, Neuroscience, and the Secret World of Sleep
Petra-X
Like Oliver Sacks the author is both a neurologist and talented writer. Also like Oliver Sacks, but unlike most doctors and doctor-books, he does not regard the person who suffers from a disorder as being primarily the disorder. Neither of them would ever think of someone as autistic, but as a person with autism. And both of them, again quite unlike other doctors, treat the person as an equal partner in sorting out the neurological problem.

Perhaps the most interesting of all the weirdness that
Jaidee
4.5 "interesting, informative and compassionate" stars !!!

Thank you to Netgalley, the author and St. Martin's Press for an e-copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. This book was released in July 2019.

Dr. Leschziner is a neurologist and a specialist in a variety of sleep disorders. He comes across as humble, intelligent, compassionate and very knowledgeable about his field. He is the type of doctor that I am sure sufferers of sleep disorders are extremely grateful to find. He works
Diane S ☔
Sep 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 5000-2019, lor-2019
An interesting and thought provoking look into many sleep related disorders. I was interested in reading this because I have been having trouble sleeping, off and on, and was curious to see what would be offered in the way of information. I found it wasn't until the last chapter that this was discussed, but the actual stories presented before that chapter, were fascinating.

Sleep eating, sleep driving, sleep eating and even sleep sex. Seems like some mammals, these people are the victims of a bra
K.J. Charles
An interesting read in the vein of the Man Who Mistook His Wife For a Hat about the outer shores of sleep weirdness (people who sleep-ride motorbikes, or act out incredibly bizarre dreams, or have constantly shifting body clocks for no reason). The author writes with a lot of compassion and humanity about his patients, for whom it's impossible not to feel sorry--there are some utter hells on earth being lived through, and the effects of not enough sleep are utterly horrible. (Do yourself a favou ...more
Canadian Reader
Rating: 3.5

Most of us are aware of sleep apnea and restless legs syndrome. Some of us have family members who sleepwalk or sleep talk, and most of us have probably had episodes of insomnia. In this book, Dr. Leschziner covers all of these conditions and more. He also presents a number of very unusual sleep disorders that I had never heard of, providing an overview of the relevant neuroanatomy and neurophysiology in language that is accessible to the lay reader. Some of the concepts are challengi
Paul
Mar 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-read-2019
Thankfully I have never had any issues in sleeping. I put my head on the pillow and almost always I am asleep within a few minutes. I sleep deeply too, I missed the entire Great Storm in 1987 and was totally oblivious to a massive lightning storm that struck an oak tree opposite where I lived. My father has always called it a short course in death…

Sleep is essential to our health, but no one can say with any conviction exactly why we need it. If we are sleep deprived then there is a finite time
Grumpus
Nov 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science
The grumpus23 (23-word commentary) Captivating medical stories like Oliver Sacks but from the world of sleep. If you have sleep issues don't despair, it could be worse.
Karen Ng
For those who misses Oliver Sack's knowledge about neuroscience and his ability to convey his knowledge into words... read this book. I haven't seen a medical doctor that is also proficient in written words in present time since When Breath Becomes Air.
Zan
Sep 05, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: arc
I love this book in concept, and it definitely wasn't lacking in the data or factual basis departments. However, Leschziner crafts his work in a non-popular science manner in that readability of the concepts and case studies isn't necessarily tailored to an average knowledge base.

While I did enjoy reading some of the case studies and the bizarre symptoms of the patients, as well as theories of what was causing these symptoms on a neurological level, the organization of the information was confu
Leonard
Aug 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A look at sleep disorders from the perspective of a neurologist, when most of my previous knowledge about sleep, being a respiratory therapist, came from the perspective of pulmonologists. This was interesting as the author told stories of people he had as patient with unusual sleep disorders and how the problem was addressed. If you are interested in sleep or have any sleep issues you might find this fascinating. Also it is not technical so you probably with find it was reading.
Trina
Jul 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The Nocturnal Brain by Dr. Guy Leschziner was a very inspired and well-written book. I love the easy to follow descriptions and the writing and analysis were well-researched. This book is for anyone interested in learning more about the brain. I think everyone can get something from this book and I highly recommend it.

I received a review copy from the publisher, via NetGalley, for my honest review. Opinions expressed in this review are completely my own.
Elaine
Thanks to NetGalley for a Kindle ARC of The Nocturnal Brain.

This is a fascinating book about some of the most popular sleep disorders (and not so popular) most people experience at least once in their lives, such as insomnia.

The author, an expert in his field, uses case studies culled from his patients, who were kind enough to share their troubling sleep disorders.

For each patient, Dr. Leschziner offers a brief profile and character study, how he came to his diagnosis, treatment and what par
Rachel
Jun 04, 2020 rated it liked it
If you would like to about what people can get up while asleep this is the book for you. Everything from eating everything in the house to attempting sex on a partner are just a couple of antics some people suffer while asleep. It’s interesting and bizarre
Liam Semple
Sep 22, 2019 rated it it was ok
A collection of clinical stories (in the spirit of Oliver Sacks, who is explicitly cited in the introduction as an influence) about parasomnias from a sleep neurologist? What a fantastic idea for a book! I was excited to read this, especially after reading the indispensable Why We Sleep: Unlocking the Power of Sleep and Dreams.

Credit where it's due, Leschziner doesn't just borrow Oliver Sacks's book format—he borrows Oliver Sack's genuine care for his patients' well-being. Both men's view of th
Julia
Dec 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
To be honest, not as good a read as Walker's Why We Sleep, but equally informative about the importance of sleep for the human brain and body.
Ioanna
May 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing

The way in which the human brain functions during sleep still remains largely a mystery. But the things we already know are quite fascinating. In The Nocturnal Brain, Dr. Guy Leschziner, neurologist, describes some real-life instances of sleep gone wrong - and by that, we mean everything from a disrupted circadian rhythm to people whose brain can be simultaneously asleep and awake.

During every fa
Ryan Alsaihaty
Each chapter is themed around one sleep disorder/condition in which the author talks about a specific real-life case (or several) that he's seen in his sleep clinic while also scientifically discussing the relevant sleep disorder/condition in terms what it is, how it occurs, why it occurs, and how it's treated. This route taken in this book is similar to Oliver Sacks’s approach in his books, and in fact Sacks is an inspirational figure to the author as he mentions in the introduction.

Naturally,
Monica Willyard Moen
Dec 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
First and foremost, this is a book about people with sleep disorders, not a book about diseases themselves. This book feels like an enthusiastic and knowledgeable guided tour of the human mind, how sleep works, and what can happen when our ability to sleep breaks down. I especially like how the author treats the patients and their stories in this book. He emphasizes them as people instead of emphasizing their disorder as being their defining characteristic. It’s a fine point, and it’s an importa ...more
Adam Clark
Feb 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
I like that this book was very much in the vein of Oliver Sacks. I listened to the audiobook, which was read by the author and his voice is pleasant and he seems kind and passionate. There is a bit of a lull in the middle with some repetition (as noted by other reviews), but I think the book finishes strong.
Carrie Lynn
Aug 31, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was such an interesting book- diving deep into extreme sleep disorders and giving us a peek into how people who have them are effected.
The beginning is heavy on science but so necessary to understand and appreciate the rest.
Some extreme moments were mentioned casually and I had to stop to lift my jaw off the floor.
If sleep disorders and syndrome interest you this is a good one.
Sreeram
Jan 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
A book that is more technical than mainstream, the Nocturnal Brain, is a well-written and approachable book about sleep disorders. Each chapter is devoted to a major sleep disorder with examples and anecdotes drawn from case histories. It could be useful for people who have sleep issues and are wondering what ails them. It can also be fascinating reading for someone who is interested in medical issues related to the brain and sleep.
June
Aug 03, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: science
Details on rare diseases (disorders), maybe essential to construct the core concept of the book, go beyond my curiosity, appear tedious to me, whom Chapter 13 Inception is the most relevant with.
Hypothesis, insufficient evidence, temporary “don’t know” answer and shape the understandings.
Sookie
Oct 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Fascinating read on sleep. More than secret, there is just lot of pop culture influence on how we understand sleep and older theories that hamper someone from getting help or get the wrong kind of assumptions on sleep related problems.

Interestingly, I have had only 3 hours of sleep and woke up at 1:30 AM only to read this book in one sitting on Kindle device. I pretty much tick everything the author says not to do. But insomnia.
Jon L
Jul 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Considering sleep medicine
Hazel Bright
Aug 09, 2020 rated it did not like it
Too much blather.
Wednesday
Nov 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I have lucid nightmares every night and this book gave me incredible insight into my problems. It documents real sleep disorder cases and explanations & treatment ...more
James Horn
Mar 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
An absorbing collection of modern case studies in abnormal sleep. Plenty of explanation for those unfamiliar with the neuroscience of sleep, and enough anecdotes to liven up the subject matter, but only read it if the above sounds interesting to you.
Sienna
Jan 30, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Sienna by: Kindle
Shelves: read-2020, brain, audio
Great book.
Leschziner doesn't try to tell you how to sleep, but goes into several stories of different people with different sleep troubles. Even insomnia comes in various forms. I didn't know there are people who do sleep but don't feel like they slept. (I do know it helps me when my tracker tells me I slept well, but I also realized early on I couldn't trust it, so I don't let it get me down when it says I didn't.) Telling of the many manifestations of sleep (dis)order, he gives many clues to
Shelly
May 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
Great collection of case studies of sleep disorders.
Julia Semeniuk
May 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Fascinating reading!!! I strongly recommended to everyone, who is interesting in how our brain works at night. Book is great and beautifully written.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• The Remarkable Life of the Skin: An Intimate Journey Across Our Largest Organ
  • The Gendered Brain: The New Neuroscience That Shatters the Myth of the Female Brain
  • Anleitung zum Widerspruch: Klare Antworten auf populistische Parolen, Vorurteile und Verschwörungstheorien
  • The Human Swarm: How Our Societies Arise, Thrive, and Fall
  • Acid for the Children
  • The Lives of Bees: The Untold Story of the Honey Bee in the Wild
  • Hood Feminism: Notes from the Women That a Movement Forgot
  • The Girls: An All-American Town, a Predatory Doctor, and the Untold Story of the Gymnasts Who Brought Him Down
  • Our Dogs, Ourselves: How We Live with Dogs Now
  • American Sherlock: Murder, Forensics, and the Birth of American CSI
  • The Heat of the Moment: Life and Death Decision-Making From a Firefighter
  • Never Enough: The Neuroscience and Experience of Addiction
  • The Years That Matter Most: How College Makes or Breaks Us
  • The Queens of Animation: The Untold Story of the Women Who Transformed the World of Disney and Made Cinematic History
Guy Leschziner is a consultant neurologist at Guy’s and St Thomas’ Hospitals in London, where he leads the Sleep Disorders Centre, one of the largest sleep services in Europe, and a reader in neurology at King’s College London. He also works at London Bridge and Cromwell Hospitals. Alongside his clinical work, he is the presenter of the Mysteries of Sleep series on BBC Radio 4, is editor of the fo ...more

News & Interviews

“Damage to the frontal lobes, whether through tumour, types of dementia or tamping iron, is known to cause personality change, and suggests that the frontal lobes have a fundamental role in our social behaviour and planning.” 0 likes