Start by marking “The Family Next Door: The Heartbreaking Imprisonment of the Thirteen Turpin Siblings and Their Extraordinary Rescue” as Want to Read:

From New York Times bestselling true crime author John Glatt comes the devastating story of the Turpins: a seemingly normal family whose dark secrets would shock and captivate the world.

On January 14, 2018, a seventeen-year-old girl climbed out of the window of her Perris, California home and dialed 911 with shaking fingers. Struggling to stay calm, she told the operator
Published July 23rd 2019 by St. Martin's Press

To ask other readers questions about The Family Next Door, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Family Next Door

Start your review of The Family Next Door: The Heartbreaking Imprisonment of the Thirteen Turpin Siblings and Their Extraordinary Rescue
Jeanette
Sep 15, 2019 rated it it was ok
Such tragedy-and the history and progression to how this horrendous situation developed- it is told. It's told in detail to witness and observations. But no photos. And you wouldn't get much "aftermath" information about the 13 children's "post escape" years either.

And the writing is lengthy where it's also highly redundant and jumps over the most essential. It did for me. As easy read as the prose level or words used, the continuity was at times extremely difficult to grasp. The entire 2 or 3
Aug 08, 2019 rated it liked it
The story itself was horrific, the writing, merely average. When I open a book to see larger print and wide margins, it's usually a tip off: not much to say, so I'll make it look that way.

It read like the author just copied information from news casts and what anyone could have found online; there did not appear to be much personal investigation.

It was also interspersed regularly with quotes from "experts"-child psychologists and the like, opining on how these children "could be" feeling or
Shannon (Mrsreadsbooks)
This is the third true crime book I have read by John Glatt and it did not disappoint. When I saw this title on St. Martin's Press upcoming releases, I reached out to them and they were kind enough to send me a finished copy. This is the first book that has really gone into this case and beyond the news, there haven't even really been an documentaries about the case so far. The book begins by explaining some of the background on both Louise and David Turpin, as well as how they were raised, ...more
Karyl
Sep 16, 2019 rated it it was ok
I’m really it quite sure how I managed not to hear about this horrifying case of the Turpins until the book popped up in my social media feeds, unless it’s because I steer clear of most "news" media aside from PBS, NPR, and BBC. I’m not quite sure why I am morbidly fascinated by people who mistreat others so badly; maybe I am just looking for the why of it, since I could barely hurt a fly.

David and Louise Turpin ultimately have 13 children, and instead of caring for them in a supportive and
Peacegal
Aug 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is the story behind a bizarre and shocking criminal case that stunned the world in 2018. As with so many cases of this nature, there were numerous incidents when an outsider detected something was "off," but authorities were never alerted.

I wish as a culture we would stop repeating the myth that having a family will automatically turn a bad person into a good person. A psychopath who has a spouse and/or children is just a psychopath with new victims.
Lauren
Aug 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
When you think you can't hate people more and then they prove you wrong.
Cyndi
Sep 21, 2019 rated it liked it
I didn’t love the author’s writing style - there was a lot of repetition and events told out of sequence- but I felt that this portrayed the full story nonetheless. The subject matter is deeply disturbing and incredibly difficult to grasp.
Sue
Sep 22, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: true-crime
This book about the abuse that the thirteen children of the Turpin family suffered at the hands of their parents is a ripped from the headlines story. It's unbelievable that anyone could treat their children like this but it happens again and again all over the world.

This was an interesting compilation of the news reports about the Turpin family. There isn't much here that couldn't be found elsewhere but it is all well put together and an interesting book to read. It reports what happened but
Oct 17, 2019 rated it did not like it
This book appears to be a quick attempt to share lurid details of a traumatized family. There are no citations and even simple things like photo captions include wild speculation.
I did not read the entire book because I felt so uncomfortable with the way the writer seemed to be exploiting this family’s extensive trauma. This book is voyeurism.
Rana
Aug 17, 2019 rated it it was ok
This story has intrigued me since it broke. These poor children, half of them legally adults, were literally imprisoned by their parents, cut off from family, not allowed to make friends, and treated worse than animals in their own house. It's heartbreaking to know that it was happening in fairly nice neighborhoods in the United States... and scary to wonder how many other cases like this are happening.

You aren't going to read any salacious details in this book. This is not a book with
Alex
Aug 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Couldn't put it down! However, only 4 stars bc of how repetitive if was.
Ashley Gobin
Sep 02, 2019 rated it liked it
It was a heart wrenching story to learn about what happened to the Turpin children at the hands of their parents. The writing could have been better.
Maura
Jul 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: true-crime
Clearly lays out the facts in this very fucked up case. (Although the last third becomes repetitive, covering the trial and mostly just restating as testimony what had already been covered.)

I do wish the book went more into the mental state of Louise and David Turpin, because their behavior is so inexplicable; even if it’s speculation, I’d like to hear some educated guesses from psychologists about what the hell was wrong with these people.
Lisa
Nov 04, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019
What the Turpin parents did is almost impossible to believe. The depravity and depth of horror inflicted on these kids is beyond tragic. Some parts of this were repetitive, and the story could have been executed more effectively. 2.5 out of 5 stars, rounded up to 3.
Sandra Heinzman
Sep 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction, crime
I read this book in two days because I couldn’t put it down! I remember the story when it came out; so horrifying. I just hope these “children” all recover enough to be able to lead regular lives in the fut. so sad what they went through.
Erica Vandegrift
Aug 16, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: couldnt-finish
I’m not even half way through this book but I don’t think I can finish it. It’s so poorly written. It’s not a full size hardcover, the font is big and the margins are wide to make it look bigger. But ok.
The author didn’t seem to do any real research of his own. He took news stories, easily obtained public records, and quotes from the many tv appearances that the families of these monsters did to capitalize on the children’s pain, wrote it all down and slapped a cover on it.

It is very
Ashley
Aug 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I remember seeing this heartbreaking devastation on the news last year and so when hearing about someone writing a book about it I was instantly intrigued.

This book was without a doubt hard to read. Not in a sense of not understanding, but emotionally. Who could ever do this to their children or any child for that matter?

John Glatt shares about the history of Louise and David Turpin, some of their families histories and how they met. It was shocking, appalling, and you couldn’t help but wonder
Jill Crosby
Aug 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is probably as good of an introduction as a person could expect about the strange case of the Turpin Family. Because the case is so new (an epilogue was added to report the outcome of the plea arrangement), fee writers have been able to mine much of what must be lodes rich with backstory and detail. Three Las Vegas weddings? An obsession with Disneyland? Dabbling into the occult? I want more detail on these (and many more) statements in the book describing actions of the perpetrators of ...more
Sharon Kolodziej
Unbelievable - how could parents do such things to their children? Every chapter is worse than the last. But I couldn't stop reading it - had to find out how these kids turned out after all they had been thru. Many of them had physical damage - malnutrition. scoliosis, stunted growth. And all had psychological problems. When rescued they are so grateful and loving to everyone that helps them. This is a true story of "mans inhumanity to man"
Kerry
Sep 25, 2019 rated it did not like it
I'm a BIG fan of true crime. I thought this book was poorly written and disorganized in its presentation. I was really looking forward to this story and was hugely disappointed.
Koren
Oct 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: abuse, true-crime
This was all over the news a couple of years ago. The husband with the Captain Kangaroo haircut and his wife who kept their 13 children prisoners in their house, chained them, beat them and starved them, didnt educate them so that even the children who were adults were afraid to escape. Even the neighbors had no idea what was going on. The craziest thing was that the father filed with the state of California as a private school, not just a home school, and no inspections were done. Eventually ...more
Sally taylor
Dec 01, 2019 rated it liked it
This is a heart wrenching story. Although I found the topic very interesting and I didn't want to stop reading to find out what happened the actual writing was VERY repetitive. I think I read that they ate bologna, peanut butter or burritos with chips every day at least 10 times (I actually just did a search of the ebook and yep it was 10 times) and that is just one example. Almost EVERY detail is repeat numerous times. to the point that when the last chapters were telling what happened in court ...more
TJL
The information was a little repetitive in a few places (almost verbatim in a few), but otherwise, good and informative book.

ngl I couldn't help but catch a whiff of shade from Glatt regarding Elizabeth and Tricia. I was a little put-off by their run with Doctor Oz show: They came off as more interested in confronting their grandfather than they did supporting their nieces and nephews (the way the other sister and half-brother were). I mean, they showed up to the hospital (presumably
Stephanie
Nov 10, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2019
Quick read.
Alright, I knew this wasn't going to be a great book. These sorts of books never are. I honestly picked up the book thinking that there would be some sort of conclusion to what happened to the children. Instead the author pretty much repeated the same facts over and over again for the entirety of the book. Ugh.
Videoclimber(AKA)MTsLilSis
This is the first book I know of about the Turpin family. A very disturbing story, it almost makes you sick to your stomach. I am so glad these children were able to escape their parents abuse and hope they are able to thrive from now on.
Kelly Long
Nov 02, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
I have read a few books by John Glatt. While this story itself is heartbreaking and disturbing, the writing isn't the greatest. Still worth reading. My heart goes out to these children.
Zella Kate
2.5 stars. Had some information I never did find in the news, but the general style is sort of tabloidy and sensational. Some of it is also badly/confusingly written.
Calista Andrechek
Nov 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book was a tough one to get through because of all the real life torture of these 13 children. I flew through it while being absolutely disgusted with David and Louise Turpin. I wanted to see if the children got justice and the parents got what they deserved; I’ve never read a book that has made me so furious for someone else. Their living conditions were deplorable and their parents, especially Louise made sure they always went without all the simple things that a child needs in their life ...more
Reading Mama
Sep 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
I have recently gotten re-interested in the true crime genre. I stopped reading these books for awhile because I was afraid to go outside at night (lol). The Family Next Door tells the story of the Turpin family, a husband and wife with thirteen children, ages 29 to 2. In pictures that were posted on social media by the mother, they seemed like the perfect family, but in reality, the children suffered a much different fate. One of the eldest children, escaped, and called the police, and brought ...more
Rachel Evins
Sep 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Family Next Door by John Glatt

I remember when the story first hit the news. All I could think about was how horrible the Turpin siblings lives must have been. How could a mother and father treat their children this way? What possesses parents to isolate, toture, and starve their children?

This book gives us some back story of David and Louise Turpin. Who they are, how they met, and their life in general. As well as giving us details of what they did to their children.

On January 14, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• American Predator: The Hunt for the Most Meticulous Serial Killer of the 21st Century
  • The Girls: An All-American Town, a Predatory Doctor, and the Untold Story of the Gymnasts Who Brought Him Down
  • My Friend Anna
  • Secrets of a Marine's Wife: A True Story of Marriage, Obsession, and Murder
  • The Less People Know About Us: A Mystery of Betrayal, Family Secrets, and Stolen Identity
  • Scarred: The True Story of How I Escaped NXIVM, the Cult that Bound My Life (True Crime Memoir, Cult Books)
  • The Program: Inside the Mind of Keith Raniere and the Rise and Fall of NXIVM
  • Before and After: The Incredible Real-Life Stories of Orphans Who Survived the Tennessee Children's Home Society
  • The Only Plane in the Sky: An Oral History of September 11, 2001
  • Death on the River: A Fiancee's Dark Secrets and a Kayak Trip Turned Deadly
  • Buried Beneath the Boarding House: A Shocking True Story of Deception, Exploitation and Murder (True Crime)
  • On the Clock: What Low-Wage Work Did to Me and How It Drives America Insane
  • Inside Out
  • The Chain
  • Long Way Home
  • The Other Mrs. Miller
  • Carrie Fisher: A Life on the Edge
  • The Killer Across the Table: Unlocking the Secrets of Serial Killers and Predators with the FBI's Original Mindhunter
English-born John Glatt is the author of Lost and Found, Secrets in the Cellar, Playing with Fire, and many other bestselling books of true crime. He has more than 30 years of experience as an investigative journalist in England and America. Glatt left school at 16 and worked a variety of jobs—including tea boy and messenger—before joining a small weekly newspaper. He freelanced at several English ...more