Start by marking “The Family Next Door: The Heartbreaking Imprisonment of the Thirteen Turpin Siblings and Their Extraordinary Rescue” as Want to Read:

From New York Times bestselling true crime author John Glatt comes the devastating story of the Turpins: a seemingly normal family whose dark secrets would shock and captivate the world.

On January 14, 2018, a seventeen-year-old girl climbed out of the window of her Perris, California home and dialed 911 with shaking fingers. Struggling to stay calm, she told the operator
Published July 23rd 2019 by St. Martin's Press

To ask other readers questions about The Family Next Door, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Family Next Door

Start your review of The Family Next Door: The Heartbreaking Imprisonment of the Thirteen Turpin Siblings and Their Extraordinary Rescue
Krystin Rachel
Book Blog | Bookstagram

Opening Imprisonment: Bologna and chains.
Main Crazy Parent: Probably the dude with the bowl cut.
Cult Theology: Be the Duggars...but crazier.

I heard about the Turpins when they first made international breaking news back in 2018 (which feels like 100 years ago, at this point,) but I obviously didn't pay enough attention to the whole story because the level of insanity is just jaw-dropping once all the details are laid out, as John Glatt does for you in this true-crime novel
Jeanette
Sep 15, 2019 rated it it was ok
Such tragedy-and the history and progression to how this horrendous situation developed- it is told. It's told in detail to witness and observations. But no photos. And you wouldn't get much "aftermath" information about the 13 children's "post escape" years either.

And the writing is lengthy where it's also highly redundant and jumps over the most essential. It did for me. As easy read as the prose level or words used, the continuity was at times extremely difficult to grasp. The entire 2 or 3
Aug 08, 2019 rated it liked it
The story itself was horrific, the writing, merely average. When I open a book to see larger print and wide margins, it's usually a tip off: not much to say, so I'll make it look that way.

It read like the author just copied information from news casts and what anyone could have found online; there did not appear to be much personal investigation.

It was also interspersed regularly with quotes from "experts"-child psychologists and the like, opining on how these children "could be" feeling or "m
Karyl
Sep 16, 2019 rated it it was ok
I’m really it quite sure how I managed not to hear about this horrifying case of the Turpins until the book popped up in my social media feeds, unless it’s because I steer clear of most "news" media aside from PBS, NPR, and BBC. I’m not quite sure why I am morbidly fascinated by people who mistreat others so badly; maybe I am just looking for the why of it, since I could barely hurt a fly.

David and Louise Turpin ultimately have 13 children, and instead of caring for them in a supportive and lov
Shannon
Jul 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is the third true crime book I have read by John Glatt and it did not disappoint. When I saw this title on St. Martin's Press upcoming releases, I reached out to them and they were kind enough to send me a finished copy. This is the first book that has really gone into this case and beyond the news, there haven't even really been an documentaries about the case so far. The book begins by explaining some of the background on both Louise and David Turpin, as well as how they were raised, whic ...more
Cyndi
Sep 21, 2019 rated it liked it
I didn’t love the author’s writing style - there was a lot of repetition and events told out of sequence- but I felt that this portrayed the full story nonetheless. The subject matter is deeply disturbing and incredibly difficult to grasp.
Erica 📚
Aug 16, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: couldnt-finish
I’m not even half way through this book but I don’t think I can finish it. It’s so poorly written. It’s not a full size hardcover, the font is big and the margins are wide to make it look bigger. But ok.
The author didn’t seem to do any real research of his own. He took news stories, easily obtained public records, and quotes from the many tv appearances that the families of these monsters did to capitalize on the children’s pain, wrote it all down and slapped a cover on it.

It is very repetitiv
Peacegal
Aug 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is the story behind a bizarre and shocking criminal case that stunned the world in 2018. As with so many cases of this nature, there were numerous incidents when an outsider detected something was "off," but authorities were never alerted.

I wish as a culture we would stop repeating the myth that having a family will automatically turn a bad person into a good person. A psychopath who has a spouse and/or children is just a psychopath with new victims.
Oct 17, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: rejected
This book appears to be a quick attempt to share lurid details of a traumatized family. There are no citations and even simple things like photo captions include wild speculation.
I did not read the entire book because I felt so uncomfortable with the way the writer seemed to be exploiting this family’s extensive trauma. This book is voyeurism.
Lauren
Aug 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
When you think you can't hate people more and then they prove you wrong.
Kate
This case is heartbreaking. The level of abuse suffered by the Turpin children is astounding, and the indifference showed by the parents is hard to fathom.

So, here's what I thought of the actual- and audiobook, since I mostly listened to it.

1. The audiobook is narrated by a British narrator. o.O

2. This book is fairly repetitive. The same incidents are recounted over and over again.

3. I feel like pretty much anyone could have written this book by looking up some articles, interviews and court
Sue
Sep 22, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: true-crime
This book about the abuse that the thirteen children of the Turpin family suffered at the hands of their parents is a ripped from the headlines story. It's unbelievable that anyone could treat their children like this but it happens again and again all over the world.

This was an interesting compilation of the news reports about the Turpin family. There isn't much here that couldn't be found elsewhere but it is all well put together and an interesting book to read. It reports what happened but t
Kerry
Sep 25, 2019 rated it did not like it
I'm a BIG fan of true crime. I thought this book was poorly written and disorganized in its presentation. I was really looking forward to this story and was hugely disappointed.
Jamie
Jun 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
Wow what a bizarre true story. The entire time I couldn’t believe what I was reading!

This book was the true story of the Turpin family who had 13 kids keeping them in deplorable conditions and non stop abuse but posing to the outside world as a happy family. Eventually one of the older girls escapes leading to their rescue.
This is a terribly sad story but hopefully story as the Turpin children are now moving forward.
My only issue with this book is I wanted more after the children were rescued.
J.H. Moncrieff
Jun 18, 2020 rated it liked it
Decent book, but I was hoping to learn more about this case, and was left feeling unsatisfied. I don't blame the author, though, as I suspect the answers I'm searching for can never be found. Why did the Turpins have so many children if they were incapable of loving them? Why did none of the neighbours do anything?

I'll never understand why David and Louise kept having children once they realized parenting was not "their thing." The reality show angle doesn't seem like enough of a motive for me,
♥ Marlene♥
A very interesting true crime book but after reading it I was left with too many questions.
There was also a lot of repetition and although it was written quite well by John Glatt who is a great writer I did feel a bit led down in the end.

I want to know what was wrong with this couple. Why did they treat their children so. Perhaps they never wanted to be interviewed so then it is not the author's "fault" but it is all so crazy. One adult was allowed to go to college.Okay mum brought him there an
Rana
Aug 17, 2019 rated it it was ok
This story has intrigued me since it broke. These poor children, half of them legally adults, were literally imprisoned by their parents, cut off from family, not allowed to make friends, and treated worse than animals in their own house. It's heartbreaking to know that it was happening in fairly nice neighborhoods in the United States... and scary to wonder how many other cases like this are happening.

You aren't going to read any salacious details in this book. This is not a book with exclusiv
Alex
Aug 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Couldn't put it down! However, only 4 stars bc of how repetitive if was.
Ashley Gobin
Sep 02, 2019 rated it liked it
It was a heart wrenching story to learn about what happened to the Turpin children at the hands of their parents. The writing could have been better.
Meera
Jan 06, 2020 added it
Really really sad story for the Turpin Children. Sometimes you just wonder how deceiving people can be on the outside.

However, I couldn’t stand how this was written. It felt like reading multiple online articles organized in timelines, but of which mostly felt repetitive. I couldn’t also stand how he goes about describing a video with every tiny detail. Very very dry writing. Felt more like telling than showing.
Jenn
May 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
I wonder why I had never heard of this case or this family. Especially as it was only a few years ago. I hope the Turpin parents never see the light of day. It was abusive to have 13 children - they couldn’t even take care of one. They are selfish people who deserve to be tortured themselves. I hope they both found that special place in hell in jail as that is definitely where they belong.
Hannah
Aug 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
Author repeated a lot of details almost word for word throughout the book but didn’t bother me too much. Absolutely heartbreaking
Maura
Jul 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: true-crime
Clearly lays out the facts in this very fucked up case. (Although the last third becomes repetitive, covering the trial and mostly just restating as testimony what had already been covered.)

I do wish the book went more into the mental state of Louise and David Turpin, because their behavior is so inexplicable; even if it’s speculation, I’d like to hear some educated guesses from psychologists about what the hell was wrong with these people.
Lisa
Nov 04, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019
What the Turpin parents did is almost impossible to believe. The depravity and depth of horror inflicted on these kids is beyond tragic. Some parts of this were repetitive, and the story could have been executed more effectively. 2.5 out of 5 stars, rounded up to 3.
Sandra Heinzman
Sep 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: crime, non-fiction
I read this book in two days because I couldn’t put it down! I remember the story when it came out; so horrifying. I just hope these “children” all recover enough to be able to lead regular lives in the fut. so sad what they went through.
Ashley
Aug 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I remember seeing this heartbreaking devastation on the news last year and so when hearing about someone writing a book about it I was instantly intrigued.

This book was without a doubt hard to read. Not in a sense of not understanding, but emotionally. Who could ever do this to their children or any child for that matter?

John Glatt shares about the history of Louise and David Turpin, some of their families histories and how they met. It was shocking, appalling, and you couldn’t help but wonder
Jill Crosby
Aug 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is probably as good of an introduction as a person could expect about the strange case of the Turpin Family. Because the case is so new (an epilogue was added to report the outcome of the plea arrangement), fee writers have been able to mine much of what must be lodes rich with backstory and detail. Three Las Vegas weddings? An obsession with Disneyland? Dabbling into the occult? I want more detail on these (and many more) statements in the book describing actions of the perpetrators of the ...more
Sharon Kolodziej
Unbelievable - how could parents do such things to their children? Every chapter is worse than the last. But I couldn't stop reading it - had to find out how these kids turned out after all they had been thru. Many of them had physical damage - malnutrition. scoliosis, stunted growth. And all had psychological problems. When rescued they are so grateful and loving to everyone that helps them. This is a true story of "mans inhumanity to man"
Nathalie
Dec 29, 2019 rated it liked it
The horror! I look forward to a deeper book about these children’s experiences, told through their own words.
Emily Dawley
Apr 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
The story of the Turpin family is bizarre and outrageously awful. Louise and David Turpin are selfish, sadistic, and despicable people. They chose to have tons of children and reveled in the facade of a happy family in staged photos and social media posts. Initially touting a pious devotion to religion and later just due to sheer self-interest, David and Louise subject their children to torture, starvation, extreme neglect, physical and mental abuse, humiliation, and various other forms of abuse ...more

• Scarred: The True Story of How I Escaped NXIVM, the Cult That Bound My Life
  • My Daddy is a Hero: How Chris Watts Went from Family Man to Family Killer
  • Death on the River: A Fiancee's Dark Secrets and a Kayak Trip Turned Deadly
  • A Tangled Web
  • The Girls: An All-American Town, a Predatory Doctor, and the Untold Story of the Gymnasts Who Brought Him Down
  • Everybody's Best Friend: The True Story of a Marriage That Ended In Murder
  • Broken Faith: Inside the Word of Faith Fellowship, One of America's Most Dangerous Cults
  • American Predator: The Hunt for the Most Meticulous Serial Killer of the 21st Century
  • The Less People Know About Us: A Mystery of Betrayal, Family Secrets, and Stolen Identity
  • If I Can't Have You: Susan Powell, Her Mysterious Disappearance, and the Murder of Her Children
  • Evil at Lake Seminole: The Shocking True Story Surrounding the Disappearance of Mike Williams
  • Unspeakable Acts: True Tales of Crime, Murder, Deceit, and Obsession
  • Get Tough or Die: Why I Forgave My Parents for My Abusive Childhood
  • The Program: Inside the Mind of Keith Raniere and the Rise and Fall of NXIVM
  • Without a Prayer: The Death of Lucas Leonard and How One Church Became a Cult
  • The River
  • Secrets of a Marine's Wife: A True Story of Marriage, Obsession, and Murder
  • Through the Window: The Terrifying True Story of Cross-Country Killer Tommy Lynn Sells
English-born John Glatt is the author of Lost and Found, Secrets in the Cellar, Playing with Fire, and many other bestselling books of true crime. He has more than 30 years of experience as an investigative journalist in England and America. Glatt left school at 16 and worked a variety of jobs—including tea boy and messenger—before joining a small weekly newspaper. He freelanced at several English ...more

News & Interviews