Start by marking “The Family Next Door: The Heartbreaking Imprisonment of the Thirteen Turpin Siblings and Their Extraordinary Rescue” as Want to Read:

From New York Times bestselling true crime author John Glatt comes the devastating story of the Turpins: a seemingly normal family whose dark secrets would shock and captivate the world.

On January 14, 2018, a seventeen-year-old girl climbed out of the window of her Perris, California home and dialed 911 with shaking fingers. Struggling to stay calm, she told the operator
Published July 23rd 2019 by St. Martin's Press

To ask other readers questions about The Family Next Door, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Family Next Door

Shannon (Mrsreadsbooks)
This is the third true crime book I have read by John Glatt and it did not disappoint. When I saw this title on St. Martin's Press upcoming releases, I reached out to them and they were kind enough to send me a finished copy. This is the first book that has really gone into this case and beyond the news, there haven't even really been an documentaries about the case so far. The book begins by explaining some of the background on both Louise and David Turpin, as well as how they were raised, whic ...more
Lauren
Aug 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
When you think you can't hate people more and then they prove you wrong.
Sharon Kolodziej
Unbelievable - how could parents do such things to their children? Every chapter is worse than the last. But I couldn't stop reading it - had to find out how these kids turned out after all they had been thru. Many of them had physical damage - malnutrition. scoliosis, stunted growth. And all had psychological problems. When rescued they are so grateful and loving to everyone that helps them. This is a true story of "mans inhumanity to man"
TJL
The information was a little repetitive in a few places (almost verbatim in a few), but otherwise, good and informative book.

ngl I couldn't help but catch a whiff of shade from Glatt regarding Elizabeth and Tricia. I was a little put-off by their run with Doctor Oz show: They came off as more interested in confronting their grandfather than they did supporting their nieces and nephews (the way the other sister and half-brother were). I mean, they showed up to the hospital (presumably unannounced
Maura
Jul 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: true-crime
Clearly lays out the facts in this very fucked up case. (Although the last third becomes repetitive, covering the trial and mostly just restating as testimony what had already been covered.)

I do wish the book went more into the mental state of Louise and David Turpin, because their behavior is so inexplicable; even if it’s speculation, I’d like to hear some educated guesses from psychologists about what the hell was wrong with these people.
Aug 08, 2019 rated it liked it
The story itself was horrific, the writing, merely average. When I open a book to see larger print and wide margins, it's usually a tip off: not much to say, so I'll make it look that way.

It read like the author just copied information from news casts and what anyone could have found online; there did not appear to be much personal investigation.

It was also interspersed regularly with quotes from "experts"-child psychologists and the like, opining on how these children "could be" feeling or "m
Erica Vandegrift
Aug 16, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: couldnt-finish
I’m not even half way through this book but I don’t think I can finish it. It’s so poorly written. It’s not a full size hardcover, the font is big and the margins are wide to make it look bigger. But ok.
The author didn’t seem to do any real research of his own. He took news stories, easily obtained public records, and quotes from the many tv appearances that the families of these monsters did to capitalize on the children’s pain, wrote it all down and slapped a cover on it.

It is very repetitiv
Ashley
Aug 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I remember seeing this heartbreaking devastation on the news last year and so when hearing about someone writing a book about it I was instantly intrigued.

This book was without a doubt hard to read. Not in a sense of not understanding, but emotionally. Who could ever do this to their children or any child for that matter?

John Glatt shares about the history of Louise and David Turpin, some of their families histories and how they met. It was shocking, appalling, and you couldn’t help but wonder
♥ Marlene♥
A very interesting true crime book but after reading it I was left with too many questions.
There was also a lot of repetition and although it was written quite well by John Glatt who is a great writer I did feel a bit led down in the end.

I want to know what was wrong with this couple. Why did they treat their children so. Perhaps they never wanted to be interviewed so then it is not the author's "fault" but it is all so crazy. One adult was allowed to go to college.Okay mum brought him there an
Rana
Aug 17, 2019 rated it it was ok
This story has intrigued me since it broke. These poor children, half of them legally adults, were literally imprisoned by their parents, cut off from family, not allowed to make friends, and treated worse than animals in their own house. It's heartbreaking to know that it was happening in fairly nice neighborhoods in the United States... and scary to wonder how many other cases like this are happening.

You aren't going to read any salacious details in this book. This is not a book with exclusiv
renae savicki
Somebody sides with "Father"

The book begins with the familial histories of both torturing parents. While Louise had many issues within her family, it appears David did not.
Fast forward through years of torture detailed by the children and we get to preliminary hearings where David,( aka "Father") is defended as being "unaware/ not present/uninvolved" to excuse the children's torture. Thankfully, none of that nonsense went over well with the court.
I would have liked a follow-up on the "childre
Jill Crosby
Aug 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is probably as good of an introduction as a person could expect about the strange case of the Turpin Family. Because the case is so new (an epilogue was added to report the outcome of the plea arrangement), fee writers have been able to mine much of what must be lodes rich with backstory and detail. Three Las Vegas weddings? An obsession with Disneyland? Dabbling into the occult? I want more detail on these (and many more) statements in the book describing actions of the perpetrators of the ...more
LInda L
Aug 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book made me sick -- to think that anyone could treat children like that, especially their own children. Although I think the parents are crazy as loons, I also think they should never see the light of day as free people. Let them see how it feels to be locked up. It's pretty obvious that none of those children/adults will ever live what is considered a normal life -- they are just way too damaged. At least perhaps they will never be mistreated again -- let's hope the powers-that-be will ha ...more
Jeanette
John Glatt did a fine job providing the story of the 13 Turpin children's horrific life with their Mother and Father. However, the book is often redundant repeating the same information; not able to eat peanut butter sandwiches, conditions of the houses, personal filth with the chains rubbing the grime off, etc. Also, St. Martin's Press should have done a better job of proofreading the final copy. With typos, grammar errors, and the epilogue in tiny print, it seemed hurried to get to print to be ...more
Susan
Aug 14, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: adult-nonfiction
I only picked this up due to morbid curiosity, and it was horrifying. I wish I knew what was going on in the parents' heads during all of the years they tortured their children. It's so difficult to understand why a parent would do any of the things they did, let alone how they could stand living in what must have been a very smelly house. The book was a bit repetitive, and relied on a lot of second hand info, but it was informative.
Zandria Senft
Wow! This book is raw and heartbreaking. We learn about the Turpin family and how the thirteen children were imprisoned in their own home. The children were not fed, bathed, educated and could not socialize. The children finally started to realize that the way their were living was not normal and it took them TWO YEARS to be able to escape and call for help. My heart breaks for these children however they are now able to get the attention, love and resources they need!
Sirong Wu
Aug 05, 2019 rated it liked it
The author recorded a lot of the details how David and Louise abused their children. It makes me very sad reading it. I wish there is more content of official record from the parents, why they did it and how they felt when they were abusing their children. Or did they feel/realize they were abusing and neglecting their kids? I hope more books could be written about them. I'd also love to read about how their kids are doing with their new life in the future!
Peacegal
Aug 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is the story behind a bizarre and shocking criminal case that stunned the world in 2018. As with so many cases of this nature, there were numerous incidents when an outsider detected something was "off," but authorities were never alerted.

I wish as a culture we would stop repeating the myth that having a family will automatically turn a bad person into a good person. A psychopath who has a spouse and/or children is just a psychopath with new victims.
Rebecca Waitt
Aug 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
A little repetitive at times but was a quick read with all the honest information. The subject was, as expected, hard to get through but the writing style helped give all the key points without feeling overwhelming. Though these were terrible circumstances, it's important to know stories of the 13 children so that this might never happen again.
Jen Appell
Aug 11, 2019 rated it liked it
The Turpin case was horrifically fascinating, and the author does a good job detailing the progression of the abuse and the case. The writing wasn't fantastic, and some information (mostly regarding extended family) wasn't necessary to the book. It was interesting to learn more about the case and the Turpin children, but I wouldn't say it was an exemplary work of true crime writing.
Nancy Lovallo
Jul 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It’s sorta hard to rate a book like this but, the writer did do an excellent job.
It breaks my heart that these monsters would do this to their own Flash and blood.

What’s is even sadder is that these monsters will live a better life in Prison than their Children lived in their own Prison with the 2 people who should have loved & protected them.
Cassidy
Aug 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I have been waiting for a book to come out about this family. When I saw this I immediately requested it from the library. Fascinating read and very well written. I was impressed. I want to point out that I liked that the author included the things that people donated to the children. The time and effort and just kind things that were done by people for those kids after all that. In a book about such a dark subject and human suffering it's a nice reminder that there are people who are kind.
Caitlin
Aug 10, 2019 rated it liked it
I usually don't read true crime but I remembered hearing about this news story. The author's writing and writing style were great. I enjoyed how the author went through the background of the parents and detailed what happened after the children were rescued. I will definitely read more by this author.
Madison
Aug 05, 2019 rated it liked it
Such potential for a interesting read - but the narrator reallllly ruined this book for me. Not sure why they picked an English narrator, but he over dramatized literally every sentence. Paired with a lot of repetitive information, I wasn't thrilled with this one.
Heather
Aug 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Turpin parents are the true embodiment of evil. This book reveals details of their crimes not previously released to the news. A worthwhile read regarding one of the most horrific child abuse cases in US history.
Pat Lampe
Aug 12, 2019 rated it liked it
A good job of reporting a horrific event. Not particularly well written and somewhat repetitive, but the whole ordeal speaks for itself. Thank goodness for the bravery of the one sibling who escaped. My heart goes out to them all.
Sheila McCarthy
Aug 09, 2019 rated it liked it
A good comprehensive telling of the story of the Turpin family. The last forty pages, an account of the parents' pretrial hearing was completely unnecessary as it simply repeated information given elsewhere in the book.
Julie
Aug 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Horrifying and completely devastating. God bless all of those children.
Sandi
Aug 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is a study of horror islmost quit but did not the Turpin family is not forget
Jennifer Van
Aug 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
I love True Crime but this one was difficult to get through. Even in prison, the Turpins are getting better treatment than their own children did under their care. These people are truly insane!
English-born John Glatt is the author of Lost and Found, Secrets in the Cellar, Playing with Fire, and many other bestselling books of true crime. He has more than 30 years of experience as an investigative journalist in England and America. Glatt left school at 16 and worked a variety of jobs—including tea boy and messenger—before joining a small weekly newspaper. He freelanced at several English ...more