Start by marking “City of Windows (Lucas Page, #1)” as Want to Read:
City of Windows (Lucas Page, #1)

City of Windows

(Lucas Page #1)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  708 ratings  ·  194 reviews
During the worst blizzard in memory, an FBI agent in a moving SUV in New York City is killed by a nearly impossible sniper shot. Unable to pinpoint where the shot came from, as the storm rapidly wipes out evidence, the agent-in-charge Brett Kehoe turns to the one man who might be able to help them--former FBI agent Lucas Page.

Page, a university professor and be
Published August 13th 2019 by Minotaur Books (first published August 6th 2019)

To ask other readers questions about City of Windows, please sign up.
Carolyn My guess is that since this is the first book in the Lucas Page series, more of the backstory will be developed in future books. Just knowing how he…moreMy guess is that since this is the first book in the Lucas Page series, more of the backstory will be developed in future books. Just knowing how he went from foster homes to his adopted home and much greater support for his brainpower was a good start in this book.(less)

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of City of Windows (Lucas Page, #1)
Paromjit
Jul 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Robert Pobi's fast paced, action packed crime thriller is intense, and so gripping that it will have you turning the pages frantically right through to the nail biting finale. It's central protagonist is the gifted atsrophysicist professor at Columbia University, Dr Lucas Page, an ex-FBI agent who quit after losing his leg, arm, eye and almost his life. This part metal man is not a man to suffer fools gladly and makes no bones about it, there are few people he chooses to interact with. He is mar ...more
Maureen
Jun 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
New York City is in the grip of an arctic freeze, but the chills are not merely due to the inclement weather. An off duty FBI agent is killed by a sniper who, despite the adverse conditions, pulls off a seemingly impossible shot. This isn’t a one off killing though, as law enforcement officers across the city appear to be a target. Make no mistake, this killer is frighteningly efficient, the likes of which the FBI haven’t seen before.

Scientist and teacher Lucas Page is persuaded to j
Larry H
Mar 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
I'm between 4 and 4.5 stars.

When I was reading Robert Pobi's upcoming thriller City of Windows , I could hear what I imagined the movie trailer voice-over would be in my head. "Just when he thought he was out...they pulled him back in!"

New York City is hit by the worst blizzard in history. As a black sedan stops to allow a pedestrian to cross in front of it, an almost-impossible sniper shot hits the driver of the car in the head, killing him instantly, not to mention creating a
Christine
Aug 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Christine by: Sandy (CA) fab review
Shelves: net-galley, ebooks
4.5 stars rounded to 5 stars

OK everyone, listen up because this one is really really really GOOD! It’s different, it’s clever, and it’s got a great protagonist in Dr. Lucas Page. Dr. Page is not a medical doctor, but a university professor who happens to be a former FBI agent. He also is half metal with arm and leg prostheses thanks to a disastrous event while earlier serving in the FBI. And not only that, but he is a savant with special mathematical mental skills that can come in qu
Sandy
Ok thriller lovers, listen up. There’s a lot of buzz around this book & I’m here to say you can believe it. This is a cracking read that delivers. Tense action, intricate plot lines, a frighteningly efficient killer & suspense that builds to a hair raising finish. It may sound like a stock recipe for any thriller but the reason this one succeeds so well is down to two things…..how the author blends those ingredients then tosses in a compelling & charismatic MC.

Dr. Lucas P
Andrew Smith
Aug 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It starts with the shooting of an FBI agent in New York City. Not just a shooting, this, but the shot of marksman who picked out a moving target during the worst blizzard anyone could recall. It’s not clear where the gunman was sited and given the number of possible vantage points in this high rise city it’s like looking for a needle in a haystack. The lead agent investigating the murder, Brett Kehoe, turns to a former colleague (now retired), Lucas Page. We’re to learn quite a bit about the str ...more
David Putnam
Oct 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Loved the opening of this book it started out as a solid five-star read. Alas, then it started to disintegrate.
For me the story opens with a hint of Indiana Jones. And the relationship between Whitaker and Page reminds me a little of The Bone Collector by Jeffery Deaver; the disabled investigator assisted by a sharp, highly motivated female character.
Love the prose, and the Vocabulary is a notch above. This also reminds me of the great book The Brick Layer by Noah Boyd, who would’ve
Krystin Rachel
Book Blog | Bookstagram

Opening Hook: Stop for a pedestrian, get shot by a sniper. The moral is, stop being polite.
Main Character: Excuse me, sir, your glass eye is upside down.
Plot Twisty-ness: Once you get off the soapbox, it's a complex, snow-covered road.

Okay, listen up! You want to read this book.

If I could tie you up, for completely non-sexual sexual reasons, and force you to read this, I wouldn't because I am a strong supporter of consent. But you should still read this, regardless of if I am exerting my will over you or not.

I'm going to go full Stefan on you rightdown.
Plotpolite.
Type: Standalone book from Lucas Page series
POV: Third Person
Rating:
(3.75 stars)

For years Dr. Lucas Page lived a contented quiet life. But a past he gladly left behind came knocking on his door. A sniper incident forced him back with the FBI. Working together with a new partner and a few from the past, he must figure out who was the shooter before the time ran out.

Lucas was an interesting hero. He wasPerson
Rating:series
POV:Thriller
Type:
Terence M
Sep 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Review will follow.
4Stars - I really liked it
Audiobook - 11:05 Hours - Narrator: Stephen Graybill

A well-written and very well narrated thriller that required some serious lifting of the believability veil to accept the notions of such an incredibly accurate sniper being pursued by such a uniquely talented university professor/former FBI agent. I happily stretched the veil to its maximum and thoroughly enjoyed the book.
Dave
Mar 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
The star of this fast-paced thriller is Lucas Page, a retired FBI specialist who now sports a prosthetic eye, arm, and leg and thought he’d be left alone to quietly raise his house full of foster kids. When a sniper is targeting law enforcement officers, making impossible shots on moving targets, Page is reluctantly called back into the line of duty. Page was a precocious child who performed graduate-level math at an age when he should have been racing Big Wheels. His unique mathematical skills ...more
Emma
Aug 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Just when you think you’ve seen every incarnation of FBI investigation you can possibly imagine, one comes along that surprises you...

Dr. Lucas Page, astrophysicist, professor, writer, got out of the FBI after the ‘Event’ that lost him a couple of limbs and an eye. But now a sniper is loose in NYC and it’s a complex enough case to draw him right back in. And there’s no doubt that they need him. He’s got a very particular talent: the ability to see the world in numbers. It’s all framed as a re
Jannelies
Mar 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant!

What can I say? I don't want to compare Lucas Page to any other of the great characters like Lincoln Rhyme. Lucas Page is someone special and I'm happy he is nót as any of the other great characters. He is unique. I really loved his sense of humor; I think his love for his wife and children is a great thing and he may be a little grumpy sometimes, it makes him all the more likable.
Solving the shooting of his former partner and subsequently o
Carolyn
Sep 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an intense, action packed thriller as the FBI try to track down the highly skilled sniper who is killing law enforcement officers in a snow bound New York city. Dr Lucas Page, an astrophysics professor and ex-FBI, prior to a terrible accident that cost him an arm, a leg and an eye, has been called in to use his uncanny mathematical skills to pinpoint where the sniper was when he shot his victims.

Lucas Page makes for a most unusual protagonist. He has an unusual backstory as a foster chi
Liz Barnsley
Mar 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
LOVED this.
A genuinely thrilling thriller
Main protagonist Lucas Page see's things from a unique perspective- so cool.
Proper page turner.

Also the last bit was so tense I've just had to tell my brain to relax my shoulders.

Full review to follow nearer publication.
The Captain
Aug 02, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: thriller-mystery
Ahoy there me mateys!  I received this sci-fi thriller eARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.  So here be me honest musings . . .

I picked up this book based on two ideas: 1) that NYC is stuck in an apocalyptic type snow storm and 2) that the main character, Lucas Page, has an uncanny ability to view the world in mathematical vectors and angles.  The sci-fi element of seeing the world in this way combined with hunting down an extraordinary sniper appealed to me.  While
Susan
Sep 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Some years ago, I read, “Mannheim Rex,” by Robert Pobi, and it still lurks, happily, on my shelves, as one of the books I kept, when I weeded my books some time ago. However, for some reason, I didn’t read anything else by Pobi until now, but I am glad that I have become reacquainted with his writing.

“City of Windows,” is listed as the first in a series and I sincerely hope that there will be further books. It begins in New York, with a federal agent shot through the head, while driving in a ci
Gram
Feb 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An absolutely stunning thriller that's so fast paced it will leave you breathless. Although laced with the darkest of dark humour, it also raises serious questions about liberty, justice and the USA Constitution's 2nd Amendment - the right to bear arms.
Seemingly out of nowhere a sniper has begun a killing spree - a sniper who is invisible and leaves no tracks. The powers that-think-they-know-it-all believe it's the work of a French millionaire playboy turned radicalised Muslim. The shooting tak
Laura Rash
Jan 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
HOT DAMN!!!! This was a ripper of a book! A really unique concept between the flawed characters, outlandish storyline and descriptive settings. Fans of the Michael Bennett books can imagine that crossed with Lincoln Rhyme and it’s still not going to completely explain this very original story. I also enjoyed the one liners that had me snort laughing. I feel the need to go read all this authors books now.
Many thanks to Minotaur for this early copy:)
gem
Apr 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is an absolutely action packed crime thriller that would make an incredible film. I can’t remember how Page’s facial features were described, but in my head he was Kevin McKidd from Grey’s Anatomy as I could perfectly see him using his sarcasm and intellect whilst investigating this spate of fatal shootings.
It’s basically Die Hard for crime book junkies!

This book is utterly brilliant in that in Page’s narrative it features his thought and feelings on gun violence and the w
Jeanette
Aug 31, 2019 rated it it was ok
Don't flame me; looking at the ratings here I know I am truly outlier. I might give it a 2.5 stars but I could never round it up.

The writing is at times jumpy and also at the same time convoluted. It's meant to trigger "crisis"- but all it triggered in me was irritation.

But that wasn't my primary turn off. It was the too too smarty pants "eyes" and sarcasm, snark and mire pits that this constantly traipses through. By Page 200 I just couldn't stand the elite superiority hubris almos
CC
3.75 Stars

With a sniper on the loose killing law enforcement officers in New York City, former FBI agent, Dr. Lucas Page, is approached to consult on the investigation based on his area of expertise. Though well established as a professor, husband and adoptive father, Lucas is hesitant to consent, but he is keen to use his unique skills to solve the case. What ensues is a chase that puts a
Bonnie Brody
Aug 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Dr. Lucas Page, ex-FBI agent and currently a bored professor of astrophysics at Columbia University, has been asked to return to service by the FBI. Page has a gift which is hard to explain but, in a nutshell, he is capable of figuring out the EXACT source of a bullet's origin whether he's standing in the crowds of New York City or in the wild lands of Wyoming. "Apparently, his intuitive understanding of geometry converted the landscape to numerical values." The FBI needs this asset desperately, ...more
Jypsy
Mar 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
City of Windows is a good action mystery story. A retired agent, a math genuis who now has prosthetics, is recalled to help solve a string of murders. It involves people close to him. It's easier to understand the main character after some background information is given. Story is paced well and has numerous twists and turns to keep you guessing until the end. Overall a good read. Thanks to NetGalley for an arc in exchange for an honest review.
Roz
Aug 09, 2019 marked it as did-not-finish
DNF @ page 60

I simply don't care about this. I don't care about the crime, I don't care about the main character's past, I don't care about his family (though that is the most interesting part so far). It's supposed to be a really cold winter and I don't feel it. I may try this again later, I don't know yet.
Maine Colonial
Jul 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: novel, thriller
I received a free advance review copy of this book.

Years ago, when I was a Mainer living in exile, my spouse and I would spend a week or two every summer visiting my family. We’d bring a stack of books and often one particular book, usually a thriller, would make the rounds from the two of us through my mother, my aunt and sometimes more. This thriller reminds me of the books that everybody in the group wanted to read back then.

You’ve read the description, so you know the
debra
Sep 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: overdrive

4+ Liked it quite a bit
Janet Newport
Jun 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thank you NetGalley and St Martin's Press for this arc.

Whoa!! Get out your G-suit, strap in and prepare for lift-off! Oh, and remember to breathe...

This was a very fast paced read (I only remember a couple of "slow spots," about 4% in, Lucas loaded a dishwasher... about 60% in, he made coffee in his hotel room, describing the silly little teabags the coffee was packaged in for the hotel room's coffee machine). His real talent was his ability to reconstruct and calculate t
Donna Hines
Mar 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley, arc
Dying don't take nothing. Living? That's something else."
Nerves shattered! Sniper Shots Fired! Deaths out of nowhere upon NYC!
The FBI has its work cut out for them as they now are hunting a killer during the worst blizzard on record!
Good grief! So many issues for Page to endure. After all Lucas Page left the FBI after nearly losing his life and a few body parts.
Now he's back in action to help the victim and his very own partner in crime.
What Lucas uncovers must depend hi
Ed
Aug 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome debut by an author who understands how to create a truly unique protagonist and structure an extraordinary crime fiction/thriller. It's riveting!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• The Last Good Guy (Roland Ford #3)
  • Elevator Pitch
  • A Dangerous Man (Elvis Cole, #18; Joe Pike, #7)
  • The Warehouse
  • What Rose Forgot
  • Bomber's Moon (Joe Gunther #30)
  • The Night Fire (Renée Ballard, #3)
  • Bloody Genius (Virgil Flowers, #12)
  • The Murder List
  • The Bitterroots (Cassie Dewell, #4)
  • Almost Midnight (Mike Bowditch, #10)
  • The Substitution Order
  • Buried (Agent Sayer Altair, #2)
  • Game of Snipers
  • The Escape Room
  • Old Bones (Nora Kelly #1)
  • The Cold Way Home (Bell Elkins, #8)
  • Cold Storage
ROBERT POBI has fished for great whites off Montauk, chased coyotes with a dune buggy in the Mojave, and spelunked caves in the former Yugoslavia. He is a renowned expert in English period furniture and makes a mean coq au vin. He spends most of his time in Montreal, Canada.

Lucas Page (2 books)
  • Untitled (Lucas Page, #2)
“And you said I don’t make friends." "With you it’s personality, with me it’s good old-fashioned racism.” 0 likes