Start by marking “Things You Save in a Fire” as Want to Read:
Things You Save in a Fire

Things You Save in a Fire

4.10  ·  Rating details ·  22,061 ratings  ·  4,717 reviews
Cassie Hanwell was born for emergencies. As one of the only female firefighters in her Texas firehouse, she's seen her fair share of them, and she's excellent at dealing with other people's tragedies. But when her estranged and ailing mother asks her to uproot her life and move to Boston, it's an emergency of a kind Cassie never anticipated.

The tough, old-school Boston
Published August 13th 2019 by St. Martin's Press

To ask other readers questions about Things You Save in a Fire, please sign up.
kittykat TBH, I'm a little concerned that you consider a book about an experienced firefighter to be a YA story.…moreTBH, I'm a little concerned that you consider a book about an experienced firefighter to be a YA story. (less)
Audrey Monke They're both great stories and they stand alone - although Cassie - the firefighter in Things You Save in a Fire mentions the plane crash that is the…moreThey're both great stories and they stand alone - although Cassie - the firefighter in Things You Save in a Fire mentions the plane crash that is the accident at the beginning of How to Walk Away, so there's a reference to the story.(less)

·  22,061 ratings  ·  4,717 reviews

Start your review of Things You Save in a Fire
Katherine Center
Oct 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Just gonna jump right in and give my own book five beautiful stars. That's reasonable, right? ;)
Nilufer Ozmekik
Jun 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Five well-deserved, positive, hopeful, when you read it, this book gives you hope, joy, not only warm , definitely heat your heart, gives you tunes makes you dance and sing -at the end you feel like you’re watching Gosling and Stone’s favorite LaLaLand dance scene on your mind over and over again- stars!

What an inspirational, fantastic book with those beautiful characters, I wish they were real so I could give them a very big GROUP HUG and tell them I love you 3thousand !

I start to read this
Deanna
Feb 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My reviews can also be seen at: https://deesradreadsandreviews.wordpr...

“Saving lives was easy. Saving herself was another story”.

What a fantastic read!

Cassie Hanwell is a firefighter with the Austin Fire Department. She is a very busy and independent woman. Her co-workers think she's lonely, but she tells them she’s happy with the way things are.

Cassie is about to receive the Austin Fire Department’s Valor Award. She is the FIRST female to ever win this prestigious award. Cassie is
Susanne  Strong
5 Sappy Stars!

An Unputdownable, Funny, Fabulous and Sweet novel, that will end up on my Best of List for 2018!

How do I love Thee? Let me tell you the ways! “Things You Save in a Fire” turned me into a complete mush. Yes, it’s true and I admit it. I know, I know, it’s unbelievable right? Roll your eyes at me, go ahead - it seems utterly preposterous given what you all know of me, but it happened. I’ve been transformed into a schmoopy girl for real. And you have Katherine Center to thank.

Meredith
Feb 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley

Super sweet love story that made this cynic both cringe and smile!

Things You Save in a Fire is about a woman who must learn to forgive in order to love.

Cassie, a 26-year-old firefighter in Austin Texas, has faced a lot of adversity in her life. On her 16th birthday, her mother left her father and Cassie for another man, which led to further tragedy. Furthermore, being a woman in a male-dominated profession, she has had to fight her way to acceptance. So when her estranged mother
Debra
Nov 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
4.5 Stars

Cassie Hanwell is one strong cookie! She must be - she is the only female firefighter at her station. To prove herself, she must be better, faster, and harder working than her male counterparts. She works in a male dominated field...how male dominated? I did some research and found that "There are 1.16 million firefighters in the United States, but only 7 percent are women according to the National Fire Protection Association." That's a big gap and Cassie feels it in this book!

Cassie
Kaceey
Dec 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It’s all about forgiveness. Even when you tell yourself you can’t… life might just surprise you!

Occasionally, a book can reach deeply, touching you profoundly. The best part is you never see it coming!

This book had me smiling, crying then smiling once again through my tears.

Cassie is a tough-as-nails firefighter. She’s got to be. She’s working in a typically male dominated field, and they never let her forget it.
But hands down, Cassie is the best at what she does. So driven in fact, her private
Dorie  - Cats&Books :)
***NOW AVAILABLE***

This is my first book by Ms. Center and it was like a breath of fresh air for me. I had been reading an extremely heartbreaking and soul searching type of book when I knew I needed something to lift me up. This book was just the ticket!

Cassie Hanwell had been settling in and working fine with the Austin fire department. She loved her job, she was finally getting the respect she deserved and the firefighters were a great group of guys. “Anyone who’d seen our rainbow flag
Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader
5 bold and fiery stars! (Now includes full review for pub day tomorrow 8/13!)

Cassie Hanwell is one of the few female firefighters in her firehouse, and she handles emergencies like a champ.

One day Cassie’s life is thrown off kilter when her mother asks her to leave Texas behind and move to Boston. Why? Because her mother she rarely sees or talks to needs care.

Being a good daughter, Cassie transfers to a Boston firehouse. The change is hard. She’s now the only female, and the firehouse is
Larry H
Dec 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars, rounded up.

Add Katherine Center to the list of authors I've discovered this year whose work has utterly wowed me. Between her newest book and How to Walk Away , which I read earlier this year (see my review), I've become a big fan while becoming emotionally unglued. Because that's how I roll, y'all!

Cassie has always been tough as nails. As one of very few female firefighters at her Austin firehouse, she knows that she has to do everything better, be stronger, faster, and tougher, and
Paromjit
This is a wonderful piece of contemporary fiction from Katherine Center, full of warmth, featuring the strong, independent, and extremely capable Cassie Hanwell. A firefighter extraordinaire, so brave and up for an award for valour at which all her crew from the modern and progressive Austin FD are present, both to support and prank her at the event. However, Cassie's night is knocked for six when the mayor is unable to present the award and in his place is a man from her nightmare past, council ...more
Kim ~ It’s All About the Thrill
Sep 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I have so many feelings about this book, I don't even know where to start. First and foremost, I loved every single minute of it. From the very first page until the very last page. Sometimes you pick up a book and the writers style just speaks to you. This is what I felt with this book. I wondered if it would live up to the hype, the answer is yes! This is one of my very favorites that I have read this year.

Things you Save in a Fire is a book that addresses so much. The struggles of a woman in a
marilyn
Aug 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wouldn't mind living in this world that twenty six year old Cassie lives in, being a neighbor to her, her mother, and her mother's friend, Josie. But before firefighter Cassie goes to live with her mother in the Boston, she is living in Austin, TX with her dad and getting recognition for saving a busload of kids from drowning when a school bus overturns. When it turns out that the person presenting her the award is a person from her high school, a very very bad person, and he grabs her butt as ...more
Holly  B
Dec 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was such a charming, humorous, and touching story. I didn't want it to end!

I found this author's writing style to be perfectly balanced in introducing the characters and making me instantly care about them. I wanted to learn more about what made them "who they are" and react the way they did. This author has such a "easy, breezy style" that made this book so easy to fall in love with.

Cassie is a female fire-firefighter working in an all male fire station, so you can probably imagine some
Christine
Feb 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Christine by: Michelle review
4.5 rounded to 5 stars

Are you in need of a fabulous reading boost? Perhaps you are looking to recover from a heavy-duty tome or trying your darnedest to break out of a reading slump. Or maybe you just in the mood for a nice feel good novel. If any of these scenarios apply to you, then this is the book you want to grab.

Things You Save in a Fire is about Cassie Hanwell, a young woman firefighter trying to break through some pretty steep emotional barriers she has tried to bury ever since a very
Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
After reading a book that I love I usually always have a lull in reading. Who we kidding? The whole last two years has been a lull for me. I always just want something that is enjoyable and easy to read after that type of book. I just usually have a hard time finding it and end up one starring stuff.

This is that type book. And I liked it. I liked it a lot. I gave up sleep for this book. Sleep is one of my favorite things.

The book is centered on a female firefighter (Cassie) who gets in a bit
Liz
Jul 16, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Ok, I’ll admit it. I requested this book purely because I loved the title. But as I read the first few pages, I was second guessing myself. Was this going to be some sort of romance fluff? The answer is unfortunately, yes. Now, if you’re into that, I guess this is a decent one.

The book blurb says it’s about family and forgiveness. And there is some of that. But it’s really mostly about romance, the head over heels infatuation kind. Cassie is a strong, no nonsense, firefighter who’s risen like a
Theresa Alan
Nov 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow! I loved this book! (Women's fiction with romantic elements.)

The protagonist, Cassie, is a firefighter in Austin, TX, at a progressive, modern station. She’s honored for her valor, but at the event, she gets herself into some trouble. When the mother she’s estranged from asks her to come to a small town outside of Boston to help her because she’s ill, Cassie wants no part of it. But between getting in trouble and her beloved father’s urging, she agrees to transfer to an old-school firehouse
Toni
Aug 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
Some books leave you feeling better about the world and people in it. Either because their main message is that of love, hope, and forgiveness, or because they have amazing characters: strong, calm, caring. They put your feet a bit more firmly on the ground, because you recognize they are rooted in reality, and uplift you, help you raise your head and notice that despite everpresent tragedy and suffering, the world is full of beautiful souls, ready to lend a helping hand.
This is one of these
Berit☀️✨
Jan 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019, book-besties, arc
HOT DAMN! This book is on FIRE!!!

Loved this engaging story from first word to last! The characters were wonderful, The romance was sweet, the friendships were strong, and I loved the firehouse setting! Cannot think of a better way to have kicked off my 2019 reads!

Full fiery review closer to pub day August 2019

Cheri
!! NOW AVAILABLE !!

I've been trying to get down
To the heart of the matter
But everything changes
And my friends seem to scatter
But I think it's about forgiveness
Forgiveness
Even if, even if you don't love me anymore

--The Heart of the Matter, Don Henley, Songwriters: Mike Campbell / Don Henley / John David Souther

Cassie Hanwell is a firefighter for the city of Austin as this story begins. She lives, breathes, imbibes the gospel of firefighting, and all that goes with the territory. She sees
Katherine Center is pretty near perfect in my opinion. Things You Save in a Fire deals with gender, family, ethics, trauma, and forgiveness. It's engaging and activates a number of emotions across the board. I loved the characters, and I loved this book. Check it out.

Thank you to the following for permitting me access to an advance reader's copy (ARC) of Things You Save in a Fire. This generosity did not impact my honesty when rating/reviewing.
Source:
NetGalley
Author: Katherine Center
Publisher:
Michelle
Dec 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Thank you to St. Martin's Press and Netgalley for the opportunity to read this book and provide an honest review!

4.5 Stars rounded up!!

I was THRILLED when my request was approved for this book. At the time, I had not yet read, How to Walk Away, so I made it my mission to read that first. After having read it (loved it), I really looked forward to seeing if Ms. Center could repeat the success of the previous book. Being the Christmas season, it took me a little longer to get to this than I would
Debbie
Sep 26, 2019 rated it it was ok
2.5

Sad to say, but I wouldn’t save this book in a fire

Thought I’d like a light read, but man, this one took “light” to a whole new (low) level. Trite, predictable, and ultra-simplistic, I also found the book, in spots, embarrassing. Picture a Hallmark card that shows a female firefighter flexing her gigantic muscles while smiling and shouting, “Happy forgiveness”!

This is the story of a feisty and expert firefighter named Cassie who falls in love. Other crew members include a Mr. Wonderful, a mom
Marialyce
Jul 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Life is sometimes so very hard. We find we bump up against adversity, and though we try to tough it through the bad times, we often find ourselves injured in ways not visible to others, yet surely visible to ourselves.

“That’s the thing I always love best about the human race: How we pick ourselves back up over and over and just keep on going.”

True to this quote, Cassie has had to pick herself up and move on. She has had much in her young life that has made her hard on the outside, a tough as
JanB

Life has been tough for Cassie. To cope, she has built walls that lets no one in, especially men, and she thrives on routine and order with no drama. Oh, and she’s a firefighter who can hold her own physically and mentally in a male-dominated profession.

When her ailing, estranged mother asks her to come live with her in Massachusetts for a year, Cassie moves from her modern, progressive fire department in Austin, to a job at a small, ill-equipped firehouse where she’s up against some
Mackenzie - PhDiva Books
Jan 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: womens-fiction
Katherine Center’s newest book Things You Save in a Fire is the type of book that stays with you. It was actually the first book I read in 2019 and I absolutely loved it. When I recommend it to people, I describe it as the type of book that heals the soul when you read it. I felt very introspective while I was reading it and I reflected a lot on myself.

About the Book

Cassie Hanwell is one of very few female firefighters in Austin who has slowly earned the respect of her male counterparts and
Selena
Mar 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely beautiful book of love, strength, courage and pain.

I received a free e-copy of Things You Save In a Fire by Katherine Center from NetGalley for my honest review.

Cassie Hanwell, is one of the toughest firefighters there is. She has saved many lives and has the highest medal the department has to give. Cassie decides to transfer across the country due to a request by her estranged and sick, mother. She transfers from a city that adores her and co-workers that love her to a city where
Katie B
Jul 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book had such a strong female lead character which is part of the reason I enjoyed it so much. I had pretty much fallen in love with her by the end of the opening scene. And even though parts of the story are predictable, that's not a negative. Life is full of enough surprises and so it can actually be refreshing to pick up a book like this one and already have a general idea which direction the author is going to go in.

Cassie doesn't have the best relationship with her mother. She's never
Nadia
Mar 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
You can call me sentimental, but Things You Save in a Fire is getting 5 stars from me!

There's nothing particulatly groundbreaking about this little charming book but you'll still fall in love with it without knowing how it happened!! I picked this up only last night and couldn't put it down until I was finished.

Cassie Hanwell loves being a firefighter and she is also very good at it. A rising star at her home station in Austin, she has a great career in front of her. When Cassie's estranged

• Evvie Drake Starts Over
  • Well Met (Well Met, #1)
  • Ask Again, Yes
  • Twice in a Blue Moon
  • The Unhoneymooners
  • Lock Every Door
  • The Turn of the Key
  • Bringing Down the Duke (A League of Extraordinary Women, #1)
  • The Gifted School
  • The Friend Zone
  • Mrs. Everything
  • Never Have I Ever
  • Whisper Network
Katherine Center is the New York Times bestselling author of How to Walk Away, the upcoming Things You Save in a Fire (August 2019), and five other bittersweet comic novels. Six Foot Pictures is currently adapting her fourth novel, The Lost Husband, into a feature film starring Josh Duhamel, Leslie Bibb, and Nora Dunn. Katherine has been compared to both Nora Ephron and Jane Austen, and the Dallas ...more
“Choosing to love—despite all the ways that people let you down, and disappear, and break your heart. Knowing everything we know about how hard life is and choosing to love, anyway.. That’s not weakness, that’s courage.” 28 likes
“I’m at my very best when things are at their very worst.” 15 likes