Start by marking “The Escape Room” as Want to Read:
The Escape Room

The Escape Room

3.97  ·  Rating details ·  3,892 ratings  ·  1,611 reviews
Vincent, Jules, Sylvie, and Sam are ruthlessly ambitious high-flyers working in the lucrative world of Wall Street finance where deception and intimidation thrive. Getting rich is all that matters, and they'll do anything to reach the top.

When they are ordered to participate in a corporate team-building exercise that requires them to escape from a locked elevator, dark sec
Published July 30th 2019 by St. Martin's Press

To ask other readers questions about The Escape Room, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Melissa Vincent will be in the sequal.
Steven Yes, absolutely nothing to do with each other. Also, completely different synopses, etc.

·  3,892 ratings  ·  1,611 reviews

Emily May
Jul 03, 2019 rated it it was ok
My team was involved in structuring the acquisition. Sylvie, who was the team’s tax expert, figured out that if the production of the parts was taken offshore then we could take advantage of a tax incentive in the destination country that would save our client $110 million over five years. That alone would effectively pay for the acquisition.

😴 My reaction to The Escape Room was not expected. I'd seen some mixed reviews from friends, with some calling it a little cheesy, or saying that all char
Kylie D
Wow, what an amazing book! I've read many psychological thrillers, but this one is at a different level entirely. In a world where greed rules and everything else is just an annoyance we see 4 members of an elite investment banking team embarking on an escape room challenge that they have been told is compulsory by their employers. Yet after a while they find that this is no ordinary escape room. Locked in a tiny elevator the clues and questions pit them against each other, and it soon becomes a ...more
Meredith
Jan 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
5 stars for the entertainment factor. ZERO stars for believability! In the end, fun beat out reality!

The Escape Room is a psychological thriller about four co-workers locked in an elevator in order to complete a team-building exercise. They think they just need to complete the challenge and they will be free to go, but things don’t go as planned. What seemed like a harmless game becomes MUCH more as the participants struggle to make it out alive.

This is a novel to read if you are looking for
Chelsea Humphrey
Mar 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Chelsea by: St. Martin's Press
Hello friends, let me introduce you to my latest compulsive read. It was utter bananas, and for those who need a grounded, realistic thriller, this is not for you. However, if you fall into the category of "I need a fast paced, balls-to-the-wall, compulsive page turner", do yourself a favor and move The Escape Room to the top of your summer TBR list. I was perusing my shelves this weekend and realized I had a craving to be entertained. I didn't need anything complicated nor grounded; I simply wa ...more
Kaceey
Jun 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
4.25*
If you’ve ever been in a corporate setting, you may be familiar with this. The dreaded yet mandatory work event. You know…one of those sleeper, team building exercises guaranteed to leave you rolling your eyes?🙄🙄
Okay, so what if it involves an escape room? Sounds like fun right!? You bet! Right up to the exact moment you realize…this may no longer be a game!

Sara Hall finally landed her dream job on Wall Street. After struggling to pay rent and put food on the table she’s finally managed to
karen
Dec 26, 2018 rated it liked it
NOW AVAILABLE!!!

they thought it was a game, but they never signed a waiver….for MURRRRRDERRRR!!!!!

this is what a christopher pike novel looks like when it grows up.

this is Saw in an elevator.

if you think either of those comments are made disparagingly, let’s never be friends.

this book is pure freaking fun: it grabs your attention from the outset and keeps you locked in for the duration of the ride, action flipping between past and present, frequently switching character POV so you’re always s
Debra
Apr 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Team building at its best or worst.....

Ruthless, ambitious, selfish, greedy, jealous, intelligent, hardworking, devious and trapped are words that can easily describe Vincent, Sam, Jules, and Sylvie. They live a life of luxury fueled by the adrenaline that comes from making billion-dollar deals. No one looks better, works harder or lives faster than these four. It's a dog eat dog world they work in on wall street. They put work first- ALWAYS. So, when a text is received announcing a compulsory t
Brenda - Host of Traveling Sisters & Friends
Yahoo! Another winning thriller for me! Could I be getting my groove back!?!

Giddy up friends! The Escape Room is one fun wild rodeo here and it’s all bulls, muddy ground and once the dust settles there is nothing left behind but blood.

The Escape Room did start off pretty rocky for me with those very unlikable four Wall Street investment bankers and the drama level to this one was throwing off my groove even more and I was one grumpy reader. I did a little complaining to Norma, Lindsay and Kim.
Mary Beth *Traveling Sister*
Aug 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Four co-workers are trapped in an elevator because they are participating in a corporate team building excercise. The elevator is the escape room. They need to solve clues to escape. There is lots of drama in the elevator and it's more sinister than they thought.

You have two points of view. One is from Sarah Hall. She is an only child. She chose a high paying job to help her parents. She looks into a lot of dark secrets and wants revenge.

Then the second point of view is from the four co-workers
Dita
Nov 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
OMG.....YES!

This captivating, engrossing book had me transfixed from page one. Waste not one minute wondering if this one is worth the read; jump in and do it. It SO is!

The book covers two storylines, the first is that of Sara Hall, a bright, MBA, up-and-comer, who is fortunate enough, as a result of a chance meeting in an elevator, to get a shot at the dazzling job of her dreams. Speaking of elevators, the second storyline involves four vile individuals who are forced to participate in an escap
megs_bookrack
Being summoned last minute to participate in a 'team building exercise' is not how Vincent, Jules, Sylvie or Sam saw their Friday night going.

Unfortunately, participation is mandatory so they all dutifully arrive on time at a remote office building in a shady part of town.

Greeting in the lobby, they enter the elevator together for the ride up to one of the top floors.

The express elevator ascends quickly and then abruptly stops. The lights go out and the heat cranks up. Suddenly, the team come
Felicia
Dec 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well this was a pleasant surprise.

I started reading around midnight with the intention of getting in a couple of chapters before I went to sleep and the next thing I knew my morning alarm was going off.

This is one of those kind of stories that you read purely for the entertainment value. This book won't win any literary awards and it certainly won't change your life, but if you're looking for an absorbing read with a unique plot featuring despicable people that get their just deserts, then thi
Susanne  Strong
Jun 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
4 Stars.

At Stanhope, it’s a Dog Eat Dog World. Here’s hoping you come out of it alive!

Being trapped on an elevator sounds bad on any given day, am I right?

Imagine however being trapped in an elevator with three colleagues in what your boss calls a team building exercise known as “The Escape Room.”

The elevator is pitch black and the temperature is boiling hot to start. Think: Bikram Yoga (my favorite!).
Then it’s like you are in the Arctic circle. Unfortunately, you don’t like your colleagues
Nilufer Ozmekik
Jan 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: best-thriller
Fascinating page-turner, totally a book cannot be put down! Too many puzzles, too many questions, so many twists!
This book contains so much despicable, ruthless, nasty, notorious characters, shapeless products from the intercourse Hitler and R. Kelly kind of evil ( evil looks like Tinkerball when you compare him with those in humans) characters.
Each character we learn more about them, we think we cannot despise more but actually yes, we can !
At the beginning we thought they didn’t deserve to
Dita
Nov 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
OMG.....YES!

Holly  B
Let the page flipping begin...

A chess game of survival for those trapped in an elevator!

I had so much fun reading this one! It was both intriguing and suspenseful as the "rules" of the game unfolded. Four rich and greedy investment bankers find themselves stuck in an elevator with someone delivering " clues and cryptic messages  "on how to get out. Will they turn on each other? Who is responsible for setting them up? And..... can they get out alive?

Someone has an ax to grind and playing alon
Liz
Jun 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
This is a fun, wild, romp of a thriller. It’s not believable, the characters aren’t deep, but that doesn’t mean it wasn’t enjoyable.

The book alternates between two scenarios. The first is told from the perspective of Sara Hall, a recent MBA grad looking to make her mark in the world of investment banking. The second follows the four bankers who end up in an escape room as some sort of team building exercise. But this isn’t your standard escape room. Their goal is to make it out alive.

The autho
Norma * Traveling Sister
Fanciful, mindless fun, & a rocky ride!

THE ESCAPE ROOM by MEGAN GOLDIN opens up with quite the electrifying scene that definitely piqued my interest but unfortunately fizzled out shortly thereafter which steadily stayed that way until around the 50% when it sparked up again. At that point I was all in and found the rest of the story exhilarating and an intoxicating page-turner that had me racing to see how things were all going to play out.

MEGAN GOLDIN delivers quite the original and clever
Dem
Aug 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
What a fun and entertaining rollercoaster of a read The Escape RoomThe Escape Room by Megan Goldin was.

“Welcome to the escape Room, Your goal is simple. Get our alive”

The Escape Room is a dark and twisted psychological thriller with a clever and original plot. From the moment I started listening to this one on audible I was hooked as the author draws you in, keeps the suspense and excitement going all the way through. I struggle with psychological thrillers as some just try too hard to be edgy and twisted but this one works
Dorie  - Traveling Sister :)
I decided to read this book because it sounded like a taut psychological thriller and it had so many stellar reviews. I read it just for entertainment value and still it fell short. The first third of the book had my attention, setting up for the thrill of the escape room challenge that we knew was going to happen.

Sara Hall, our main protagonist, is a newly minted MBA who supposedly was an incredible student with amazing recommendations from professors, those she had interned with, etc and yet
Deanna
Aug 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs, 2019-releases

My reviews can also be seen at: https://deesradreadsandreviews.wordpr...

4.5 Stars!!

I’ve always been curious about “Escape Rooms”. This sounded like such an interesting read and I couldn't wait to get started!

The book opens as a security guard calls 911 after hearing a scream and what sounded like gunshots in what should be an empty building. The police arrive and everything is silent. Then they hear the sound of an elevator descending…

The police stand with their guns drawn as they wait for the e
Kim ~ It’s All About the Thrill
Jul 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: blog-tour
Wow! Now this my friends is one heck of a thriller! I love when one of my most anticipated reads of the year turns out to be even better than I hoped. I LOVED this book! I literally could not put it down!

You take four investment bankers and stick them in a elevator together...for a long time...what do you get? Sounds like the start of a bad joke, right? Well this is no joke. This is downright terrifying. Lured to a building under construction and into the elevator to the 70th floor to take part
Kayla Dawn
Aug 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned-books
This was so close to being a 5 star read, but the last 50 pages or so sadly didn't impress me as much as the rest of the book..
Lisa
Jan 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thrillers
What an adrenalin rush The Escape Room was absolutely loved every minute kept me turning the pages, the prose sounded interesting & the characters were abhorrent greedy rich bankers who would kill their own grandmother to make a quick buck. until 4 bankers Vincent Devries , Sylvie, Sam & Jules get stuck in a lift the lights go out & the game of survival starts.

fear grips them all trust know one trusts the other its a dog eat dog world if your a female living in a mans domain, then we
Larry H
Aug 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
It's a good thing I'm the boss, because after reading Megan Goldin's new book, The Escape Room , if someone ever suggested a team-building exercise, I'd run in the opposite direction!

Stanhope and Sons is one of the leading financial firms in the country. The deals they close net millions—if not billions—of dollars, and can make or break major corporations.

The firm hires only the best and brightest, and is tremendously choosy. They want people who look like they're worth millions, let alone be
Kendall
Jan 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow... this was such a fun ride!!!!

I wouldn't categorize The Escape Room as a psychological thriller per say. But, it definitely keeps you turning those pages and wondering what is going on!!

Vincent, Jules, Sylvie, and Sam are the pure elite that work for Wall Street in Finance. Talk about having more money then you could dream off with these four. Nothing matters but getting more and more money to them while making their way to the top.

The four of them are required to complete a team building
Carol
4.5 Stars - Totally Enjoyed It!

"Revenge is a dish best served cold." Oh yeah....

I wanted to read THE ESCAPE ROOM since I first laid eyes on it, and was so glad to finally get my hands on a copy. For me, it was unputdownable....and yes, a few parts were beyond belief....or maybe not....like the interview from hell, or fiancé interested more in your prestigious job than you, but the set-ups to terminate, the bonus/salary issues....don't doubt those in the least.

"What's the longest anyone has ev

Book of Secrets
Jul 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
THE ESCAPE ROOM is a crazy & claustrophobic thrill ride. Four of the most unlikable investment bankers you'll ever come across are summoned to a team-building exercise in the elevator of a vacant high rise office building. They're not inside long before realizing there's something sinister about this particular escape room challenge...

I went into this book not knowing much about the plot, and I think that's the best way to read it. The chapters alternate between time in the elevator, and tim
Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader
Jul 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Have you ever had an escape room experience? I never have, and I can safely say now I never will. 😂 ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐

Four friends, Sam, Sylvie, Jules, and Vincent work on Wall Street, with all its dollar signs. Their jobs are competitive and so are their intrinsic natures.

For team building, they have to participate in an escape room, a locked elevator escape room.

There’s a point where it ceases being a game.

The Escape Room is pure entertainment. Megan Goldin has nailed the page-turner, compulsively r
Erin
Jun 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley, kindle
3.5 stars rounded up to 4

Thanks to Netgalley and St. Martin's Press for a digital galley in exchange for an honest review.

Welcome to the Escape room. Your goal is simple. Get out alive.

Although a loss of momentum happened around the middle part of the book, I couldn't stop turning the pages. I mean four greedy Wall Street people locked in an elevator for hours. Who will outwit? Outlast? Outplay? Err....I guess you can guess where I am headed.

Until I picked up this book, I had never heard of

• Little Darlings
  • Tamam Shud: The Somerton Man Mystery
  • The First Mistake
  • Possession (Black Light #11)
  • The Arrangement
  • The Adventure of the Colonial Boy
  • Dear Wife
  • A Beautiful Corpse (Harper McClain, #2)
  • Living on Hope Street
  • Double Take
  • The Whisper Man
  • The Dilemma
  • And Fire Came Down (Caleb Zelic, #2)
  • The Rules of Backyard Cricket
  • The Night Before
  • A Stranger on the Beach
  • The Stillwater Girls
  • Out of the Ice
Megan Goldin is the bestselling author of "The Escape Room", praised by Lee Child as "one of my favorite books of the year", as well as "The Girl In Kellers Way", a critically-acclaimed domestic noir thriller nominated for Australia's leading crime fiction awards.
Megan worked as a journalist for Reuters, the Australian ABC and Yahoo! News before writing her debut psychological thriller The Girl In
“The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting. —SUN TZU” 0 likes