Start by marking “The Bitterroots (Cassie Dewell, #4)” as Want to Read:
The Bitterroots (Cassie Dewell, #4)

The Bitterroots

(The Highway Quartet #5)

A riveting new novel from the New York Times bestselling and Edgar-Award winning author.

Former police officer Cassie Dewell is trying to start over with her own private investigation firm. Guilty about not seeing her son and exhausted by the nights on stakeout, Cassie is nontheless managing...until an old friend calls in a favor: she wants Cassie to help exonarate a man ac
Published August 13th 2019 by Minotaur Books

Win a Copy of This Book

• The Bitterroots by C.J. Box
    The Bitterroots (Cassie Dewell, #4)
    Release date: Aug 13, 2019
    Enter to win a first edition hardcover copy of the riveting new novel from New York Times bestselling and Edgar Award-winning author C. J. Box.

Format: Print book

Giveaway ends in: a

Availability: 20 copies available, 2941 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Aug 07 - Aug 28, 2019

Countries available: U.S.

• Friend Reviews

Deb
    Aug 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
    Box wrote another good book with this one. It had a couple of twists that made it interesting. I felt that the ending was rushed, though, and seemed vague or kind of glossed over. And I found it annoying when he used the word "toxic" so often in describing the people.
    Laura Rash
    Aug 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Box hits it out of the park again with this latest installment of the Cassie Dewell series. All kinds of dirty family secrets come to a head and an ending that leaves you shaking your head with amazement of how it all goes down.
    Thanks to Minotaur for this early copy:)
    Tonya Lucas
    Jul 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Opening up a C. J. Box book is like turning on your favorite movie.
    The intense anticipation is one of a kind, one you know you’ll be pulled in and held captivated until the final scene.
    Now that she has her own Private Investigative Company, Cassie Dewell is trying to piece her and Ben’s lives back together after the harrowing ordeal with a serial killer, The Lizard King, a notorious long haul truck driver who wrecked havoc across the country’s highways and truck-stops.

However, her peace of mind
    Sharon Mensing
    Jun 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    An old friend calls in a debt, and Cassie Dewell leaves the comfort of her new business as a PI in Helena, Montana, to look into the circumstances surrounding the arrest of a member of an influential family in a small, rural community. After the intensity of her previous job in law enforcement, her business conducting investigations for insurance companies and car dealerships feels like a breath of fresh air. As she heads into the Bitterroot mountains, where a fire is raging, that fresh air disa ...more
    3 no 7
    Aug 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    “The Bitterroots” by C. J. Box is the fourth book in the Cassie Dewell series. Each book can be read individually, and all feature Cassie Dewell, whose previous career in law enforcement was intense and tumultuous as she pursued and apprehended a serial rapist and murderer who operated as a long-haul trucker. She is still haunted by his menacing presence every time an eighteen-wheeler thunders by her on the highway. A quick but thorough history of the events between the last book and this one de ...more
    Tim
    May 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: box-c-j, net-galley
    Abibliofob
    Jul 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Wow, what a ride. I usually prefer the Joe Pickett series but this one is great. What a way to tell a story and keep the reader wondering about earlier events coming back or not... I must recommend this to all my followers.
    Charlsa
    Aug 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
    Shelves: netgalley
    The backdrop of a nearby forest fire lends this 5th installment of the Cassie Dewell series an air of urgency and imminent danger. Cassie finds herself investigating a long-established and powerful family on their turf. As with all books authored by C.J. Box , you find yourself drawn in by the characters, the well-developed plots, and even the character of the locations. Family members with deeply buried secrets and dark hearts keeps the readers following the storyline for just one more page...o ...more
    Tim
    May 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Shelves: box-c-j, net-galley
    I received a copy of this book from the publisher through NetGalley to read and review.
    THE BITTERROOTS by C.J. Box is the follow-up to Paradise Valley the fourth book in “The Highway Quartet” series that began with the late Cody Hoyt (still mad at the author about his demise!), and continued with Cassie Dewell, a strong and capable woman who is able to excel in her position despite having to withstand the “good ole’ boys” prevalent in both the law enforcement agencies and pretty much everywhere
    Christine (Queen of Books)
    Aug 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
    Shelves: arc, mystery, own
    Thank you to Minotaur for a free arc of this title for review

A book that will make you forget your bedtime!

I'd seen him around, but this was my first C. J. Box. It's part of a series focused on PI Cassie, but I dove in with book #4 and felt that worked fine. Cassie's called to investigate a case against Blake, the oldest son of a prominent ranch family. She doesn't want to take the job (working for his defense) but agrees to give the evidence against him a sniff test.

Sounds pretty mellow so far,
    Kathy
    Jul 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    4.5 stars.

The Bitterroots by C.J. Box is a gritty and suspenseful mystery starring Cassie Dewell.

Cassie and her fourteen year old son Ben now live in Bozeman, Montana. Wanting to spend more time with Ben and set her own hours, Cassie is now a private detective.  With her latest case wrapped up, Cassie is about to fulfill a debt she owes to defense attorney Rachel Mitchell.  Very uneasy about working for the defense, Cassie reluctantly agrees to go back over all of the evidence for Rachel's clien
    Donna Hines
    Aug 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: arc, netgalley
    It's like the Hatfields and the McCoys with a raging inner battle that is about much more than merely land rights. You know the line "Money is at the root of all evil." Don't forget it!!
    Cassie is a former sheriff investigator with her own private practice. She enjoys being her own boss until one day she's asked to help exonerate a wealthy man who is accused of sexual assault against a young women.
    That young woman is no random person as she's his very own 15yo niece Franny.
    As the tension escalate
    Cheryl
    Aug 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Toxic family extraordinaire

This is the fourth book in the Cassie Dewell series. It takes place two years after the events in PARADISE VALLEY.

Cassie got her Private Investigator license. The family, including 14 year old Ben and grandma Isabel are now living in Bozeman, Montana.

Cassie is called by an old friend and talked into looking into a rape case, which Cassie does not want to take. But she ends up taking the case and heads to a small town in Montana and a region ruled by the huge landowner
    Randi (randi_reads)
    Aug 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
    This was my first read by C.J. Box and I highly enjoyed it. It took a little bit in the beginning for me to get invested in the story, but when it got good, I was hooked.

Private Investigator Cassie Dewell is summoned by defense attorney, Rachel Mitchell, to help her out with a case. And not just any case, a man from a prominent family, Blake Kleinsasser, is accused of molesting and sexually assaulting his fifteen year old niece. Rachel wants Cassie to investigate the circumstances of his arrest
    Dindy
    Shelves: mystery, vine
    This novel has everything- an unsavory and unlikable defendant with a hopeless case, an evil and unsavory family, mean and threatening, almost surely corrupt local officials, and a great setting in Montana.

Private Detective Cassie Dewell is a strong character. She doesn’t back down and persists until she gets answers to her questions. Men don’t often do a good job of writing women characters, but C.J. Box does okay with her. He even manages to make her teen-aged son realistic—not totally obnoxio
    Val
    Aug 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
    Shelves: series, 2019, crime, fiction, pi
    Note to self: Never even slow down while driving through Lochsa County...

As a former law enforcement officer, Cassie doesn’t want to work for a defense attorney. Especially on a case where a man has been arrested for raping his 15-year-old niece. However, Rachel assures Cassie she doesn’t have to dig up exculpatory evidence, but just follow the trail where it leads. "Assure me that there are no holes in the case," the lawyer says, "and I'll talk my client into a plea deal."

Once in Lochsa County
    Karen
    Aug 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Cassie Dewell, former cop, now private detective, is uncomfortable working for aggressive defense attorneys. She is investigating an assault in a small town where one family is in control of the entire valley. Cassie still sees things from a police officer perspective and wants to validate investigative procedure, due diligence and that evidence is properly obtained. There are unscrupulous people trying to intimidate and force her to back down. Many twists and turns and a great plot.

This is my 2
    Heike
    Jul 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
    When Cassie investigates the case of a child molester for an old friend, she does not expect to do more than validate known facts to put the perpetrator behind bars. But while she is asking questions the people involved act peculiar, and someone seems to be very adamant to scare her off, even going as far as threatening her life. Instead of retreating Cassie stubbornly stays on the case.
    Fast paced and entertaining story, well written page turner, highly recommended!
    Darcy
    Man...so much of this one wasn't what it seemed. I liked that through it all Cassie stayed true to what she thought was right. By doing that she found out what really happened, was often in danger and seemed to find people that were just rotten to the core. I was happy that at the end of the day she was able to leave them and go home where things were much better for her.
    Sue Dix
    Aug 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
    When you buy a book because you thought it was by a different author but it turns out to be a really good read and you think you really need to buy some more books in the series, you know you’re a true book nerd. Also, I can’t believe I read this one out of order. Still, Cassie Dewell is my new favorite detective.
    Anne
    Jun 23, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: read-in-2019
    In Bitterroots Blake Kleinsasser has been accused of raping his 15-year-old niece. Blake is the oldest son and third generation of a conservative Hutterite family.
    “Lawyers and accountants had made their careers representing different factions of the third generation because the legal battles often went on for decades it was the nastiest kind of war: brother vs brother, sister vs sister.”
    Private investigator Cassie Dewell has been hired by his defense attorney to see if there are any gaps in the
    Randall Moore
    Aug 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    The Bitterroots by C.J. Box features Cassie Dewel, who took over from the late Cody Hoyt after he was murdered while investigating a long-haul truck driver who turned out to be a serial killer. Cassie is finished with law enforcement and is now a private detective working out of Bozeman, Montana. She's still struggling to get established and has formed an alliance with Rachel Mitchell, a defense attorney in Bozeman. Working for the defense grates on her and even more so when Rachel asks Cassie t ...more
    David Lowrey
    Aug 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    This was a really good book. I read the prequel, Badlands, and I have always felt that that book was one of Box's best efforts and his finest of all. The protagonist, Cassie Sewell, a deputy in an oil-boom town of North Dakota, battles the "lizard king," a trucker who kidnaps, rapes, and murders truck stop prostitutes. It's a particularly good book because of the richness of Cassie's character; a female cop in a man's world, widowed, struggling to bring up her son with her mother's help.

The Biit
    Sue
    Aug 22, 2019 rated it liked it
    Shelves: popsugar-2019
    If you've read C.J. Box's Joe Pickett series, know that this is completely different in tone. The Bitterroots is book 5 in the Highway Quartet series (I know, 5 in a quartet). The main character, Cassie Dewell, is introduced in book 3. You don't need to read the others - Box does a great job of filling in the necessary details from the earlier books - but it would help you get the feel of this series.

Cassie is now a private investigator, living and working in Montana. As with Box's Pickett serie
    Kaye
    Aug 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    C.J.Box is one of the authors I track, noting when his next book is due and scouting it out. I've read the entire Joe Pickett series, the standalone books (Blue Heaven!!) and now the Cassie Dewell quartet.

I read Box because I live in the mountain west and he gets it right; because every book has -- along with crime, depravity and suspense -- solid family ties at its heart; and now because he's one of a very small number of male writers who can create convincing female protagonists.

A corrupt sher
    Kathleen Gray
    Aug 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Private detective (and former cop) Cassie Dewell wants no part of exonerating Blake Kleinsasser, who allegedly raped his niece but she feels an obligation to Rachel, an attorney who is the daughter of one of her mentors. Rachel, BTW, is the person you want representing you if you're ever in trouble. All the evidence points towards Blake's guilt but Cassie agree to go to the crime scene, talk to local law enforcement, and basically make sure that the facts of the case line up so that Rachel can m ...more
    Cathie
    Jul 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
    Thank you to Minotaur Books and St. Martin's Press for the chance to read this ARC. Book publishes on August 13, 2019.

This is the first book I've read by this author and I was not disappointed. It is the 4th book in a series about a female private investigator, Cassie Dewell. (I will have to add the first 3 books to my TBR list).

Cassie is hired by an attorney to look into the arrest of a man named Blake Kleinsasser. Blake is accused of assaulting his niece on the family ranch. Cassie heads into
    Amy
    Aug 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    I love CJ Box books!! It all started with Blue Heaven and then on to Joe Pickett and Cassie Dewell. I know as soon as I bring one of his books home I will be focused on nothing else. If only I didn’t need to work.

With this Cassie Dewell book, I found myself reliving the Lizard King story as I was falling asleep — especially when the big rig rolled into Bozeman — and that wasn’t even a focal point of this story. But it was so chilling when I first read that novel that when I see a black rig on t
    Jun 30, 2019 rated it liked it
    Shelves: 2019-mt-bookpile
    My first Cassie Dewell, and I'm probably going to explore the previous books. There are some surprises, particularly regarding who Cassie can trust and why, and I wonder if those are in the other books. The private investigator genre isn't my favorite, but this isn't a bad example.

There's a great sense of place here, with the Montana mountains and the fires they experience playing a role that was unexpected (at least it was to this New Englander, who only hears a lot about the California wildfi
    Fred Rayworth
    Aug 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
    To me, The Bitterroots was a big improvement over The Highway, the last thriller I read in the Cassie Dewell series. I wasn’t over-enthused about that series yet I still liked Mr. Box’s writing enough to give this fresh take a chance, especially since it didn’t involve that trucker again. That was the big issue with that other story. The trucker serial killer just didn’t do it for me.
    In this case, Cassie goes after a psycho family in Montana and it’s a whole different deal. I found it a lot mo
    « previous 1 3 next »
    Goodreads Librari...: Create Series - Cassie Dewell Series 1 11 Jul 31, 2019 01:22AM
    C. J. Box is the #1 New York Times bestselling author of 24 novels including the Joe Pickett series. He won the Edgar Alan Poe Award for Best Novel (Blue Heaven, 2009) as well as the Anthony Award, Prix Calibre 38 (France), the Macavity Award, the Gumshoe Award, two Barry Awards, and the 2010 Mountains & Plains Independent Booksellers Association Award for fiction. He was recently awarded the ...more