Start by marking “This Is Not a Love Scene” as Want to Read:
This Is Not a Love Scene

This Is Not a Love Scene

Lights, camera—all Maeve needs is action. But at eighteen, a rare form of muscular dystrophy usually stands in the way of romance. She's got her friends, her humor, and a passion for filmmaking to keep her focus off consistent rejection...and the hot older guy starring in her senior film project.

Tall, bearded, and always swaying, Cole Stone is everything Maeve can't be.
Published May 7th 2019 by Wednesday Books

To ask other readers questions about This Is Not a Love Scene, please sign up.
Lauren M Yes. The author has SMA (a form of MS) and is in a wheelchair.…moreYes. The author has SMA (a form of MS) and is in a wheelchair. (less)

Start your review of This Is Not a Love Scene
Erin
First I'd like to thank S.C. Megale and St. Martin's Press for providing me with a free copy of this book.

I'm extremely happy I didn't have to pay for this book. God! I really wanted to love this book but I just didn't vibe with this one.

I know I'm suppose to fall in love with Maeve as she bravely lives with Muscular Dystrophy but God! she was so self absorbed. I tried I really did try to like her but Maeve didn't have one redeeming quality. She didn't want people to treat her differently
Katie B

I went into this one with low expectations because the early reviews were mixed, but I ended up enjoying the story quite a bit. I wouldn't say the main character is my favorite person in the world, but I did appreciate a glimpse into the life of someone with muscular dystrophy. The strengths of the book were seeing how the character dealt with things most kids her age don't have to worry about as well as seeing how her family was affected as well.

Eighteen year old Maeve loves film
Kelly (Diva Booknerd)
I don't say this lightly but this was absolutely awful.

Girl hate.
Weird and inappropriate friendships with elderly men.
The idolisation of men while women are treated with hostility.
Main character openly and proudly announcing a preference to flirt with married men.
Inappropriate joking about becoming a lesbian and pretending to have an intellectual disability.
Constantly sexualising men. She also mentions that her behaviour is so she isn't mistaken for being asexual and it's important she
Erin
May 04, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, netgalley
Thanks to Netgalley and St. Martin's Press for a digital galley in exchange for an honest review

First line: I liked being ridden, and offered the chance to pretty much every guy in Video II

Me: Wait... what am I reading? ( checks Goodreads and NetGalley quickly)

Despite that jolt of electricity, I can assure potential readers that This is Not a Love Sceneis targeted for a teen audience. Eighteen year old Maeve is an enthusiastic filmmaker, looking for romance and trying to get her parents
Book Smeller Jessica Prien
Jan 12, 2019 rated it did not like it
This Is Not A Love Scene
Written by S. C. Megale
Genre – YA Fiction, Romance, Contemporary
Rating – 1/5 Stars
Available for Sale 5/7/2019

Maeve is an 18 year old living with a rare form of Muscular Dystrophy, she is surrounded by friends and family who love her dearly. Like any young woman, she desires to love and be loved. Maeve and her friends are obsessed with filming. The group decides to join a filming course. It is here that she meets Cole. Her heart rate increases and her desire to explore
Lindsi (Do You Dog-ear?)
"Everyone [is] a pool noodle, sinking and thrashing out for another's noodle to stay afloat."

I received an ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. My thoughts and opinions are my own. Any quotes I use are from an unpublished copy and may not reflect the finished product. Warning! There are some small spoilers regarding the content of this book, but the information is relevant to the review.

I honestly don't know where to start with this one. I have some major issues with the story,
Nkisha
Apr 22, 2019 rated it did not like it
*I received an advanced copy of this book via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review*
This book about Maeve a teenager who has muscular dystrophy and desperately wants to find love and does not want to be held back by her disability. The concept of this book is a fabulous idea and if written right could have been brilliant. However, it wasn’t it was terrible and had so many things wrong with it. Firstly, Maeve is one of the most self-centred MC’s I’ve come a cross to the point where it is
Vicky Who Reads
Apr 28, 2019 rated it it was ok
2 stars

I love the concept but there were a few things that I just had pretty huge issues with

1) the acephobia
2) Cole Stone the asshole
3) some sensitive topics (not about disability) were approached . . . brashly

I really wanted to like this and even set it aside to give myself more time to really get into it, but there are some things that just came off as subtly harmful to me, unfortunately.
Jessica Greenfield
May 28, 2019 rated it did not like it
Honestly a story about a girl who is in a wheelchair and finding love made me want to read it since I can relate to Maeve because I'm also disabled too. I started to like it until I became uncomfortable with the relationship between Maeve and Cole's "relationship". It wasn't the love story I was hoping for tbh. I'm sorry to say that This is Not a Love Scene is an awful book. But that is just my opinion. I stooped reading it feeling uncomfortable. I wasn't expecting that kind of a relationship. ...more
Susan
Apr 20, 2019 rated it it was ok
I wanted to love this book. But I could not. Cole is the absolutely worst person ever and I don’t understand the attraction. Maeve was annoying and Megs was obnoxious. I don’t mind books about terrible people when the author knows they are terrible but I think we were supposed to like them all. Also, I felt this book had a very anti feminist slant to it which I am not used to reading in books anymore.

I was provided an advanced copy of this book by the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an
|| Soph ||
Jul 25, 2019 rated it did not like it
nope no no no.

What the actual-

WHAT EVEN WAS THE ROMANCE?? COLE SUCKS. HE’S A CRAP LOVE INTEREST. I DIDN’T EVEN KNOW MAEVE WAS A “SEXUALLY PROUD” PERSON UNTIL I READ THE BACK. THIS WAS SO VERY EXTREMELY BORING AND MY ASEXUAL SELF HATED EVERY MINUTE OF IT. PROS?? THIS WAS SHORT. THANK JESUS.THAT IS ALL.

——-
*edit: tw at the end* plus depressed people stereotypes. nah fam

*vomit*
Manon the Malicious
May 04, 2019 marked it as did-not-finish

DNF @ 12%, a few pages after:

"“Oh, I’m so sorry!” The woman rose and shoved the whole clipboard in my lap.
IF SHE WERE A GUY: God, chivalry. Mmph.
BECAUSE SHE’S NOT: Overkill assistance. Offensive."

Not my thing.
Samantha || Fictionally Sam
Jul 19, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 1-star, arc
Rating: 1 Star
TRIGGER/CONTENT WARNING: Attempted Suicide, acephobia, homophobia, depression, sexism

“I liked bring ridden, and offered the chance to pretty much every guy in Video II"

The above quote is the first sentence that starts the book, and if your mind went to the gutter, just keep it there because that’s basically where this book was the entire time. This is Not A Love Scene is a story about an aspiring director, Maeve, who according to the book summary yearns for romance, however, she
Diana Iozzia (Bookworm Banter)
Mar 26, 2019 rated it did not like it
“This is Not a Love Scene”
Written by S.C. Megale
Review written by Diana Iozzia

Reading about a young woman with muscular dystrophy finding herself and discovering her first love sounded like a lovely idea to me. I was very hooked by the premise, thinking this would be a very cute, but serious book about first love and disability. However, I was completely disappointed by this book. Here are some thoughts on the book.

To begin, Maeve, is an eighteen-year-old woman, who has muscular dystrophy. She
Chan ( inbedwithabook )
Mar 04, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: arc, ya-romance
*Thank you to NetGalley and Wednesday Books Publishing for providing this ARC in exchange for an honest review*

emoji rating scale:
Not a Love Scene rating:

-----
read my review: click here
-----

I really wanted to love this YA story because I haven’t read anything like it in the past, but I did not vibe with this read. AT ALL. *insert crying face* I almost DNF’d this, to be honest. So let’s dig right on in!

This story follows Maeve — an 18 year old girl who’s living with a rare form of Muscular
MC Roberts (Disappear In Ink)
Jan 10, 2019 rated it did not like it
I received this book in a Goodreads giveaway. Thank you to the author and Goodreads.

//Review//

This book had so much potential, but it fell short for me. I can’t decide between 1 or 1.5 stars. In the first half or so of the book I might have said 3.5. The story on a whole just didn’t cut it though.

I love #ownvoices. There should definitely be more stories with that premise! So, I had high hopes for this story. However, the fact that Maeve, the main character, doesn’t let her differences define
Beth
Feb 01, 2019 rated it did not like it
Thank you to the publisher and Goodreads for an ARC of this book.

I was excited to read this book, because it didn't seem like anything I have read in my YA section. Sadly, I did not care for the story. I felt like a lot of the story was meant for shock value. I read the opening to my 18 year old, and he gave me a scrunched up face. When I was done, I showed him the last sentence, and he was dumbfounded. So was I! What could've been a great story was muddled with too many storylines and too much
Isabella
Mar 15, 2019 rated it did not like it
I really wanted to like this, but there were some problematic parts like when the character says she wishes she was a lesbian. Also I couldn’t relate to the main character, and I think the premise was good but the execution was not the best.
ARC FROM GIVEAWAY ON GOODREADS
Brittany
Jan 27, 2019 marked it as did-not-finish
Shelves: ya, arc, year-2019
This was a DNF for me. Sadly I tried really hard to press on but I could not connect at all to the Main Character in this story, I applaud the author for giving this character a voice but I personally just could not get into it. I may try again at a later date.

Thanks to Netgalley for providing this digital copy for preview in return for an honest review.
temi ★
Apr 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
How did I say that someone choosing to lean their weight on the metal that dehumanizes it? That by not asking my permission, just doing it, showed unquestioning acceptance? Maybe even intimacy?

characters: 4/5
pacing: 2/4
actual substance of the story: 4/5
romance and/or significant friendships: 4/5
the writing: 3.5/4
creativity: 2/2

- 0.5 points because of one stupid line (yeah, I'm mad about it)

19/25 | 3.8 STARS

Maeve, a sardonic, blunt, and outgoing character, is a filmmaker. She happens to have
Isabell
May 16, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Thanks to NetGalley and St. Martin's Press for a digital galley in exchange for an honest review.

I was super excited when I got offered an eARC for this book as I had never read a book about a main character with Muscular Dystrophy before and knowing that it was an #OwnVoices book I was even more excited.
Unfortunately, I ended up not really enjoying the book.

My first problem was the main character, Maeve. She was an absolutely horrible person and I hated her so much! She was extremely
Kay
Jul 08, 2019 rated it did not like it
Two alternative titles I thought up for This Is Not A Love Scene:
1. This Is A Sex Scene
2. This Is Not A Good Book

I am so disappointed. I read the synopsis, and thought the premise would be absolutely enchanting. The idea of a disabled girl finding love when she previously thought it would be impossible? I couldn't wait to read it! Unfortunately, I wish that I had waited forever to read it and right now I want to burn it out of my brain.

Maeve is more horny that Rhysand in A Court of Frost and
Emily Leyland
May 22, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: reviewed-arcs
Oh, this book. I have some major issues with the story, but I can see what the author was going for, despite the less than perfect presentation. Maeve has muscular dystrophy and is confined to a motorized wheelchair for life. She tries to maintain her independence as much as possible, and I empathize with her situation - I can't imagine how trapped you must feel living like that. However, Maeve is...kind of the worst.

Maeve has very little respect for herself, which I understand for someone who
Georgie
May 17, 2019 rated it did not like it
This book was a disaster
Rachel
Note: an eARC of this title was acquired via NetGalley.

What to say about This Is Not a Love Scene that isn’t completely negative? I mean, yes, this book is #OwnVoices and, yes, it contains physical disability rep… but not much else. Even though the main character Maeve has moments of self-confidence where she stands up for herself and her worth, she’s still kind of an asshole, the book was super problematic, and I was happy to leave them both behind. (Like, the biggest thing I took away from the
Hannah
I received an eARC from Wednesday Books via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. And boy howdy, is this going to be an honest review. It can be read here: http://twincitiesgeek.com/2019/05/thi...
Kell
May 08, 2019 rated it it was ok
okay, so on the one hand, it means so much to me to have a book about a sexually confident disabled person. i love that.

on the other hand, throughout the book, maeve's attitudes towards women were... yikes. every so often there were little inner monologues describing the difference between what she would say in any given situation whether the person she's talking to was a man or a woman, and the option for women were almost always at least a little bit rude.

i feel like her love of men could
Michelle (Love, Stars and Books)
(I received a free eARC from NetGalley & the publisher for a voluntary and honest review. All thoughts and opinions are my own)

This is not a love scene by S. C. Megale

Genre: YA, Contemporary, Romance

Rating: 1/5 stars

(Review)

(DISCLAIMER: All thoughts and opinions are my own.)

Maeve has a muscular dystrophy and it stands in the way of her romance, she has her friends and passion for filmmaking to distract her from rejection, and the hot older guy starring in her senior class class project.

I am
Lootz
Jan 11, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: giveaways-won
I received this book free from a Goodreads giveaway.

I wanted to like this book, but it was just not for me. It felt like I was dropped into the middle of a story and then it ended abruptly so for me it was incomplete. I'm not quite sure how to describe it but I just needed more back story on this friend group or something. It really frustrated me and made it difficult to get into the story. Then, when I finally felt like the story was really going somewhere, it ended too soon. I think the bones
Erika
Mar 25, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2019, netgalley
Thanks to Netgalley for the opportunity to read early for an honest review.

What I liked - I really liked Maeve's friends - Megs, Elliot, and KC. I loved their friendship dynamic and I wanted to learn more about KC's situation and his outcome.

What I didn't like - Her relationship with Cole made me feel really uncomfortable... which may have been the point? But not something I look for in a romance.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »