Start by marking “This Is Not a Love Scene” as Want to Read:

This Is Not a Love Scene

Lights, camera—all Maeve needs is action. But at eighteen, a rare form of muscular dystrophy usually stands in the way of romance. She's got her friends, her humor, and a passion for filmmaking to keep her focus off consistent rejection...and the hot older guy starring in her senior film project.

Tall, bearded, and always swaying, Cole Stone is everything Maeve can't be. An

Giveaway dates: Feb 16 - Feb 28, 2019

Countries available: U.S.

• Friend Reviews

Erin
    First I'd like to thank S.C. Megale and St. Martin's Press for providing me with a free copy of this book.

I'm extremely happy I didn't have to pay for this book. God! I really wanted to love this book but I just didn't vibe with this one.

I know I'm suppose to fall in love with Maeve as she bravely lives with Muscular Dystrophy but God! she was so self absorbed. I tried I really did try to like her but Maeve didn't have one redeeming quality. She didn't want people to treat her differently beca
    ✩ Ashley ✩
    Well I’m crying after that synopsis 😭 It hits a little closer to home than I was expecting uffda I need to prepare myself for this one!
    Book Smeller Jessica Prien
    Jan 12, 2019 rated it did not like it
    This Is Not A Love Scene
    Written by S. C. Megale
    Genre – YA Fiction, Romance, Contemporary
    Rating – 1/5 Stars
    Available for Sale 5/7/2019

Maeve is an 18 year old living with a rare form of Muscular Dystrophy, she is surrounded by friends and family who love her dearly. Like any young woman, she desires to love and be loved. Maeve and her friends are obsessed with filming. The group decides to join a filming course. It is here that she meets Cole. Her heart rate increases and her desire to explore sex
    Brittany
    Jan 27, 2019 marked it as did-not-finish
    Shelves: arc, ya, year-2019
    This was a DNF for me. Sadly I tried really hard to press on but I could not connect at all to the Main Character in this story, I applaud the author for giving this character a voice but I personally just could not get into it. I may try again at a later date.

Thanks to Netgalley for providing this digital copy for preview in return for an honest review.
    Beth
    Feb 01, 2019 rated it did not like it
    Thank you to the publisher and Goodreads for an ARC of this book.

I was excited to read this book, because it didn't seem like anything I have read in my YA section. Sadly, I did not care for the story. I felt like a lot of the story was meant for shock value. I read the opening to my 18 year old, and he gave me a scrunched up face. When I was done, I showed him the last sentence, and he was dumbfounded. So was I! What could've been a great story was muddled with too many storylines and too much
    Annamaria
    "I need to find good Christian men. God, you don’t know how often I hear this. Come unto me, all ye sinners."

This book stars Maeve, a young girl who attends a film school and whose greatest life's ambition is to become a famous director. She's even completed few scripts and likes spending time buying props with her friends and shooting videos for various projects. She also suffers from muscular dystrophy and is weelchair-bound. One of her biggest concerns is how she's percived by the other sex,
    Kyera
    Feb 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
    I am really of two minds about this book, one part of my brain is "YOU GO GIRL!" when Maeve is out living her life while the other part of me is "You shouldn't light yourself on fire to keep someone else warm." What I tend to circle back to, however, is the fact that our main character is a teenager. Teenagers make mistakes. They spend time with people they shouldn't. They go places they shouldn't go. They try to fix situations that should not be handled by them alone.

Obviously, S.C. Megale know
    Rocelyn Hidalgo
    Feb 10, 2019 rated it it was ok
    Shelves: giveaways
    I got this ARC from St. Martins Press from a GoodReads giveaway.

I really wanted to like this book but I did not like Maeve at all. I would have given this just ONE star, but I did like her relationship with her parents and her love for filmmaking.

I really didn't like how KC's problem was just wrapped up and no further development happened between the two.

And the ending … was really upsetting.
    Victoria Bunce
    Jan 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
    Shelves: reviewed
    I received a copy of THIS IS NOT A LOVE SCENE from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. Thank you so much!

FOUR stars and here’s why:

S. C. Megale nailed the gut-wrenching experience of a first love’s heartache. The title says it all: this book is not a love scene. It's an honest, realistic, and quite refreshing story about teens navigating school, friendships, and the dating trenches.

Life is not a bunch of roses. It’s filled with friends, ups and downs, and challenges that can either
    Kristi
    Jan 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
    Solid 4 until the end, which made it slip to about a 3.5. Maeve is such a strong character and a unique voice, with a pov that I've never seen before. Strong character building, and wonderful writing. I just personally felt almost let down by the ending.
    Megan (Disappear In Ink)
    Jan 10, 2019 rated it did not like it
    I received this book in a Goodreads giveaway. Thank you to the author and Goodreads.

//Review//

This book had so much potential, but it fell short for me. I can’t decide between 1 or 1.5 stars. In the first half or so of the book I might have said 3.5. The story on a whole just didn’t cut it though.

I love #ownvoices. There should definitely be more stories with that premise! So, I had high hopes for this story. However, the fact that Maeve, the main character, doesn’t let her differences define he
    Elizabeth
    Dec 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
    I was initially drawn in by the title, when I received This is Not A Love Scene through a Goodreads giveaway. The story revolves around Maeve, a budding filmmaker and high school senior. She is also a woman in a wheelchair due to muscular dystrophy, specifically spinal muscular atrophy (SMA). I was really excited to read this book, because not many YA books prominently feature characters in wheelchairs.

Overall, I think the novel was pretty satisfactory and the plot moved at a decent pace. There’
    Lootz
    Jan 11, 2019 rated it it was ok
    Shelves: giveaways-won
    I received this book free from a Goodreads giveaway.

I wanted to like this book, but it was just not for me. It felt like I was dropped into the middle of a story and then it ended abruptly so for me it was incomplete. I'm not quite sure how to describe it but I just needed more back story on this friend group or something. It really frustrated me and made it difficult to get into the story. Then, when I finally felt like the story was really going somewhere, it ended too soon. I think the bones
    Tiffany Giovino
    Dec 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
    This Is Not A Love Scene is a cute read. I really enjoyed my time reading this book. I had some issues with this book and I'll discuss those later in this review. Those issues included mostly Cole Stone.

Maeve has a rare form of muscular dystrophy. She's an eighteen-year-old girl who hasn't had a relationship yet and is dying to be in one. She wants it all. She wants marriage in the long run and nice little domestic household. It's everything she deserves. She's an amazing person.

Maeve and her
    Lynda
    Jan 06, 2019 rated it it was ok
    I recieved this book from Goodreads giveaways. I have to say I really didn't enjoy the book. I did not like the character Cole Stone at all. I didn't like how he treated the main character. I hope that young teenage girls who read this don't think that this is the way a relationship should be. It was just upsetting to me how the whole book ended. I wont be recommending this to friends.
    Heavenleigh peterson
    First, I’m so thankful that I got an e-arc if this book!

Ok. This book was just ok. I’m so sad that I didn’t like it as much as I thought I would. The characters were ok. I loved KC so much, I wish I could just give him a hug. I don’t really understand what Maeve saw in Cole, I don’t know if it’s because we really didn’t get to see him in story or what but I just wasn’t feeling him. Maeve deserves to be with someone who’ll be there for her *cough* KC *cough*. I wasn’t really a fan of Mags either
    Brianna
    Feb 07, 2019 rated it liked it
    Received an ARC.
    Cute story about a girl with MS exploring love and friendship. Only part I didn't like was (view spoiler)
    I'm also worried some of the slang with quickly date the book, like the use of fam.
    John Dwight
    Feb 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    I really loved this book. It's sharply funny in places, heartbreaking in others. And the ending is sweet and romantic and not exactly what I expected, which is rare these days. I really felt a connection to Maeve's adventure. She's so tenacious and also vulnerable. Her disability is an undeniable part of her story, and yet she transcends her disease in a kind of crescendo that was exhilarating to read. This one should make everyone's list. It was fast and fun and left me thinking.
    Martin Wilsey
    Feb 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    I need to start off by saying this genre is not my usual cup of tea. I can't stand the tropes of perfect little people falling in love, tiny obstacles that are based on little misunderstands. Yawn.

This is Not a Love Scene is none of that. It's original, the characters are well developed, everyone is full of flaws, they make stupid decisions, and I didn't know what was going to happen. It's original. Yes, I said it twice!

I hope they make a movie of this book.
    Terry E
    Jan 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    As an avid reader of YA fiction, I really enjoyed this book. The story was compelling, and the characters so real that I laughed and cried - did not want to put it down!

Look out for more from this new author. As David Baldacci said on the cover (yes, THE # 1 NY Times bestselling author) S.C. Megale is a terrific new voice in the world of YA... Rings brilliantly true from the first page to the last. Could not agree more.

Can't wait for a movie version -hint, hint Hollywood?
    Moriah
    Feb 15, 2019 rated it liked it
    This is one of the first books I’ve had the pleasure of winning in a Goodreads giveaway. I’m so thankful for that because I probably wouldn’t have read it otherwise.
    This was a fun, quick read, that I really enjoyed. It wasn’t perfect, I can’t say I was a huge fan of the romantic relationship, and I feel like some of it could of been fleshed out more. However, I did like learning about Muscular dystrophy, and all of the film directing. I love how the book didn’t just focus on Maeve’s disease; but
    Deborah
    Feb 16, 2019 rated it it was ok

Overall, I didn't enjoy this like I wanted too. There are aspects i really like and appreciate. And character moments that really standout. However, I didn't really enjoy the execution. The plotlines converged nicely but also seen too ridiculous. I wasn't really a fan of any of the characters and actually disliked most. At its best, the book was, for me, just good and averaged on feelings of indifference or disinterest.
    Becky Helterbran
    Jan 02, 2019 rated it liked it
    Shelves: giveaway-read
    I wanted to like this book more than I did. That being said, I think the kids at my high school will enjoy it, so I'm changing my rating from a two to a three star.

Maeve is a senior in high school, has great friends, is passionate about directing, and relies on a motorized wheelechair due to her muscular dystrophy. The thing she wants the most in the world is...sex. A relationship would be nice, but much of the story revolves around Maeve's desire to get laid. Once you get past the raunch it's
    Judy
    Jan 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
    Although most of the book was focused on Maeve wanted to get laid ,lol, I did enjoy the story and learning about someone wheel chair bound and their way of life.
    John Stipa
    Jan 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Intriguing plot. Maeve's inner turmoil resonated with me. Well done on a difficult subject.
    Lauren M
    Jan 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Stop what you are doing and go read this book (or pre-order!). S.C. Megale bursts into the YA scene with a fresh new voice to give readers an honest point of view of what it is like to live with a disability. Maeve is an 18 year old woman living with Muscular Dystrophy who wants to take a romantic relationship to the next level. Megale’s wit and candor will captivate her readers and have them routing for Maeve as she figures out the ups and downs of dating, friendship, and figuring out the next ...more
    Alexandria
    Dec 18, 2018 rated it liked it
    I received an ARC from a Goodreads Giveaway.
    A major problem I had with this book was the romance between Maeve and Cole. Maeve really wanted the relationship, but Cole never seemed interested in her. Cole was unlikeable and uncaring. He seemed to be taking advantage of her at times, disappearing for days at a time and then showing up later when he wanted something. During most of the plot, I found myself wishing that Maeve would realize that Cole wasn’t the one for her or wasn’t interested in a
    Erin
    • Sex and Disability
    • The Kingdom
    • Eyes on Me
    • Hope and Other Punchlines
    • The Ultimate Guide to Sex and Disability: For All of Us Who Live with Disabilities, Chronic Pain, and Illness
    • Bodymap
    • In the Kingdom of the Sick: A Social History of Chronic Illness in America
    • Peace Breaks Out
    • Meet Me in Outer Space
    • Side Effects
    • The Voice in My Head
    • The Pursuit of Miss Heartbreak Hotel
    • A History of the Present Illness
    • How the Light Gets In
    • Girls of July
    • When Summer Ends
    • Cold Day in the Sun
    Shea C. Megale is an author and filmmaker.