Start by marking “Sanctuary” as Want to Read:

Sanctuary

The small Connecticut town of Sanctuary is rocked by the death of its star quarterback.

Daniel's death looked like an accident, but everyone knows his ex-girlfriend Harper is the daughter of a witch - and she was there when he died.

Then the rumours start. When Harper insists Dan was guilty of a terrible act, the town turns on her. So was his death an accident, revenge - o

Published August 8th 2019 by Gollancz

Win a Copy of This Book

Release date: Sep 08, 2020
    Don't miss this perfect Halloween read—complete with witches, murder, secrets, and a witch hunt the whole world watches.

SANCTUARY is the exciting and

Format: Kindle book

Giveaway ends in: a

Availability: 50 copies available, 839 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Oct 22 - Oct 30, 2020

Countries available: U.S.

• Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about Sanctuary, please sign up.

Start your review of Sanctuary
    sarah xoxo
    unpopular opinion alert!

pitched as big little lies meets practical magic with feminist witchy undertones, what could go wrong?
    apparently, a lot. Sanctuary took elements of so many of my favourite things, from a murder mystery, to social commentary to a twisty plot. The potential was definitely there for an amazing story, but unfortunately it fell flat for me.

second unpopular opinion: I don't love modern day witch stories. I tend to find them cheesy and jarring, for some reason it is difficult
    Olivia
    Jun 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Shelves: fantasy
    Netgalley, mostly because I couldn’t wait. I also bought the limited hardback edition, just so it’s 100% clear that I love this. A lot. And my other half listened to the audio-book and declared she'd read anything by James. This household loves V.V. James.

Sanctuary: Big Little Lies meets witches is probably the most accurate tagline.

My reading experience went like this: I swallowed Sanctuary whole. Just like that. I couldn't put it down. It's gripping from the very first page. Just like with Bi
    Schizanthus Nerd
    The first thing I did after I finished Sanctuary was preorder a signed, limited edition copy from Goldsboro Books and that, in itself, tells you everything you need to know about how much fun I had reading this book. My review could end here but, because I love chatting about books so much, it won’t.

The cover image caught my eye when I first saw it in a Goldsboro newsletter (bookish emails are so dangerous for me!) and after being enticed by the blurb I investigated further. NetGalley had review
    Brooke - One Woman's Brief Book Reviews
    *www.onewomansbbr.wordpress.com
    *www.facebook.com/onewomansbbr

Sanctuary by V. V. James. (2019).

Sanctuary is the perfect town...to hide a secret. Detective Maggie is in town to finalise the tragic accidental death of a star quarterback, Daniel. Then the rumours start; his ex girlfriend Harper is the daughter of a witch, Sarah. And Harper was there when Dan died. Dan's mother Abigail will stop at nothing until she has justice. Her best friend Sarah will do everything in her power to protect Harper.
    Ink Drinker
    Publication Date: 9/11/20

Think Big Little Lies with a witchy twist, that’s Sanctuary!! I loved it!!

Sanctuary is about a town in Connecticut shocked by the tragic death of their most popular high school football player. How did he die? How did he break his neck? Some say he was killed by witchcraft….could that be possible? Detective Maggie Knight must solve this mystery.

The book has a lot of suspense and includes enough twist and turns to keep you turning the page. The character building is what
    Tammy(PeaceLoveBooks)
    Think Big Little Lies with a witchy twist. I absolutely LOVED this story of a small Connecticut town rocked by the death of a popular high school football player. Was he killed by witchcraft and why? The chapters are short and alternate between different character viewpoints. I don't usually read fantasy/paranormal books but I am so glad I did! If you loved Alice Hoffman's Magic series, you need to read Sanctuary!
    Neelam
    Jun 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Thank you to Gollancz and Netgalley for this ARC in exchange for an honest review.

I really loved the Dark Gifts trilogy so when I heard about this book I so excited to read it! And I really loved this book too!

This book had me hooked from the beginning and on the edge of my seat. I was up reading late into the night because I just needed to read one more chapter. It has a dark and foreboding atmosphere and it only gets darker as the story progresses. By the end it was pretty terrifying. Not in t
    Kirsty ❤️
    Jun 14, 2020 rated it it was ok
    The first of a couple of books I've read recently that I thought were ok but everyone else seems to love. I couldn't really take to the characters and there wee so many points of view I kept losing track of who was who. It's an interesting mix of whodunnit with supernatural thrown in and didn't quite work for me. It's not bad and does have a good twisty ending but this one wasn't for me.
    Andrew
    Apr 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
    Review taken from The Pewter Wolf which will be going up in early May 2019.

***eProof gifted by UK Publisher, Gollancz via NetGalley, in exchange for an honest review/reaction.***

The small town of Sanctuary, Connecticut is a perfect little town where everyone gets along. But behind the perfect face of the town hides some dark secrets as Detective Maggie Knight is about to find out. She has been asked to go to Sanctuary to investigate the tragic death of Sanctuary’s star quarterback. It was accid
    Sabrina
    Apr 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Shelves: booktails
    Anyone who knows me, knows that I am a massive fan of Vic James so of course I was desperate to get my hands on her new book as soon as she hinted about it on twitter. Anything she writes is bound to have me hooked and her description of the new witchy thriller meant I couldn't wait to read it.
    To start with, I found it just slightly confusing as it involves a lot of characters and the chapters are from different characters' points of view. I'm not usually a fan of this type of book. However, I
    Shalini
    May 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
    A fire broke the party of the teens where one fell and died, and best friend alleged that the witch's daughter has killed him through witchcraft.

My first book by the author, I was quite taken in when witchcraft was used as a MO. Complex characters set in small town with secrets and lies, the book was narrated in multiple POV.

The story was a fast read where wanting to know the truth compelled me to read faster, witchcraft being the fun addition to the world building.
    Kate~Bibliophile Book Club
    I picked up Sanctuary to read the first few chapters just to see what it was like, and I didn’t look up again until I was 150 pages in! It’s safe to say I was hooked from the beginning.

When the star quarterback of the Sanctuary football team dies in what appears to be a tragic accident, Detective Maggie Knight is called into a seemingly open and shut case. What she discovers though, is that there is much more going on in Sanctuary than meets the eye.

Sanctuary has been likened to Big Little Lies,
    Cora Tea Party Princess
    WELL.

I can't wait to annotate this book to death.

Review to come. I annotated it to death. I have many thoughts and swears.
    Kelly Van Damme
    Aug 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Shelves: netgalley
    Hi and welcome to my review of Sanctuary, a book that I requested on a whim, an urban fantasy / thriller that broke me in a million pieces and will definitely end up on my list of fave books this year.

Sanctuary, Connecticut, the typical East Coast small town where everyone knows everyone and their dog. Nothing special, one would think. Except that Sanctuary has a resident witch, Sarah Fenn. This is not a secret at all: witches are established all over the US, their craft acknowledged, and happil
    Mellisa
    Sep 15, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    I wasn't sure if I liked this book when I first started reading it. It seemed really slow and characters I wasn't sure I would remember - I was soooo wrong!

Once this book really started I didn't want to put it down. It has witchcraft, suspicion, mystery, death. It even has a resurrection. This book covered so much in such an intense, intriguing way!

I hated Abigail. I could find no sympathy for her. She was weird and spiteful, along with her husband Michael and Todd (the chief). Hated Daniel too
    Karen
    Aug 29, 2020 marked it as did-not-finish  ·  review of another edition
    I’ve been on a thriller/mystery kick lately, so I was definitely intrigued by this small-town murder mystery that also has *witches*.

Now, I can see that I'm definitely in the minority here but this…honestly didn’t work for me. First of all, there were way too many alternating POVs. This isn’t necessarily a problem itself, but I struggled to make sense of who I was reading from and would often forget mid-chapter; the characters’ voices blurred together. Perhaps as a result, I found that I didn’t
    Alice (MTB/Alice Tied The Bookish Knot)
    I was on the UK promotional blog tour for this book!

Overall rating: 3.75/4 stars (couldn't decide which one so I'm saying both)

Yesssssss, it’s time to dive into a new witchy thriller of which I’ve seen the old cover design for Sanctuary on various social media platforms (Instagram being one of them) so when my copy arrived, I dived into hopefully a twisted and spooky thriller. This was a spooky read and everyone was out for blood of some kind. The story is told in short chapters and multiple POV
    Liz Barnsley
    Mar 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
    Sanctuary was a highly involving drama set in a world where Witches are a part of society, much regulated and oft viewed with suspicion.

A terrible accident and an accusation of witchcraft sets a group of long term friends at odds - with the death penalty ingrained for anyone who murders by witchcraft the stakes are high.

Sanctuary is in effect an allegorical tale of prejudice and outsiders. Happy to use their local witch when it suits them, now the community turns on them with one mother's grie
    Kate (Reading Through Infinity)
    TWs: rape, sexual assault of minors, violence, domestic abuse, sexism.

This is such a tense and thrilling mystery. The atmospheric small-town vibes and witchcraft had me hooked from page one. I was also lucky enough to be on the blog tour for this book! Check out my full review here: https://readingthroughinfinity.com/20...
    Katherine
    Jun 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: owned-read
    This was addictive and so fast paced. I just couldn't stop reading. The world was incredible and the magic system was really easy to understand. The characters were really well thought out and I can almost see this making a really good film. Loved the mix of fantasy/thriller/mystery. Highly recommend!
    Lyn

AudioBook Review:
    Audiobooks, yay or nay? Before this book, I would have said nay. Last year I tried several audiobooks but the narrators of the books I chose just annoyed me with how they changed their tones or pitch to show the change in characters and it just felt wrong. I mean, it didn’t feel like they caught the essence of the characters. And of course, my mind wandered to get away from those voices lol.

Sarah Fenn is the only witch in the town of Sanctuary and she’s heartbroken when she fin
    Nikki
    Aug 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
    I received this from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

I’m going to lead with the trigger warnings - Sanctuary includes rape including the rape of a minor by an older minor. It is mostly seen second hand but is shown on page.

This is sort of an urban fantasy but is definitely much more of a small town witch hunt (literally) with a mystery. And I love that. There were so many times when I was frustrated with the characters but also totally seeing why they were acting as they were! Sm
    Linaria
    This quite possibly is one of the weirdest books I've read this year. It's a thriller that takes place in an urban fantasy setting. The best way I can describe this book is Pretty Little Liars as adults in a modern-day witch hunt.

There's some pretty messed up stuff in this book, and definitely read the trigger warnings in advance. I'm not sure that the execution of all of the elements worked for me completely. I did enjoy the book overall, but sometimes it seemed like there should have been fewe
    Mary
    Jun 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    I listened to this witchy thriller weeks ago and I'm still thinking about it.
    Crystal Zavala
    Sep 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    This is the witchy book I needed right now. 🧙🏻‍♀️

I am absolutely fascinated by books about witches. Lately I have been wanting to read books that include high school football as a sub-plot since my kids can't play sports right now (Covid). When I read the synopsis for Sanctuary, I hoped that it was the perfect book the beginning of Fall reading. Sanctuary did not let me down!

One of my favorite things about Sanctuary is that witches are a common part of society and it isn't a secret.

In Sanctuary,
    Jenny (Bookbookowl)
    Aug 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Thank you so much to Hachette Australia for providing me with a copy of Sanctuary, in exchange for an honest review.

Sarah is the witch in the town of Sanctuary.  Together with her three non-magical best friends, they are a coven who help people in their small town with their problems.  All of their children have grown up together as friends, but as they are sharing an evening dinner, while their kids attend a party, they receive devastating news.  Dan, the popular,  promising athlete has died at
    Francesca
    Apr 16, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: 2020-reading
    Wow, every single adult in this town is despicable. I don't think I've ever read a book where I so viciously hated almost everyone.

Let's start from the top:

Abigail, and her CREEPY obsession with her son. She admits that shes doesn't share a bed with her husband because she would rather be in the room next to her son so she can hear him through the wall. Ew. ALL she talks about is how perfect and amazing Daniel is, how pretty his hair is, how muscular he is, how good he smells. Barf.

Sarah is so
    Carmen (TheReadingTrashQueen)
    UPDATE: bumping the rating up to 4 stars because a year later this book is still on my mind often. Ironically a year ago I wasn't sure if I liked the anger it provoked, but with everything that has happened I do like it. Of course like isn't the right word, but it's important. This rage is so important. It always has been, but especially now it needs attention. So, upping the rating, and recommending!

Giving this book 3 stars for now, though it might go up as I’m torn on it.

I spent the second ha
    Lucy Hounsom
    Aug 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Sanctuary paints a brilliant portrait of small town America where local politics, alliances and feuds are everything - the outside world might just as well not exist. The stage therefore is ideally set for a murder investigation that spirals out of control and quickly involves the whole town, much to detective Maggie's chagrin.

I love James' other series (beginning with Gilded Cage) so it didn't surprise me to find Sanctuary an excellent read too. There's just bags of tension, revelation atop rev
    Daphne (Illumicrate)
    What a brilliant mystery, and an utterly compelling read.
    « previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
    Huntsville-Madiso...: Hoopla Pick - September 14 - Sanctuary 1 3 Sep 14, 2020 01:35PM
    Illumicrate Group: 15th August - Ch 50> 59 (incl.) 9 20 Sep 12, 2019 08:11PM
    Illumicrate Group: 19th August - Ch 97> end 4 18 Sep 03, 2019 06:08PM
    Illumicrate Group: 13th August - Ch 24 > 38 (incl.) 10 18 Aug 31, 2019 05:47PM
    Illumicrate Group: 18th August - Ch 85> 96 (incl.) 3 9 Aug 21, 2019 09:32AM
    Illumicrate Group: 14th August - Ch 39 > 49 (incl.) 8 20 Aug 20, 2019 02:03PM
    Illumicrate Group: 17th August - Ch 72> 84 (incl.) 4 8 Aug 20, 2019 04:20AM

• Dangerous Remedy (Dangerous Remedy, #1)
    • Hold Back the Tide
    • The Nesting
    • Kingdom of Souls (Kingdom of Souls, #1)
    • Die App - Sie kennen dich. Sie wissen wo du wohnst
    • The Sisters Grimm
    • The Devil You Know
    • Bone China
    • Angel Mage
    • One Step Behind
    • Das Geheimnis des Träumers (Strange the Dreamer, #2A)
    • The Sharp Edge of a Snowflake
    • Der Fahrer
    • Das Spiel – Es geht um Dein Leben: Thriller (Björk und Brand Reihe 1)
    • The Demon World (The Smoke Thieves, #2)
    • The Secret Chapter (The Invisible Library, #6)
    • Aus schwarzem Wasser