Start by marking “Saving Kristen” as Want to Read:
Saving Kristen

Saving Kristen

3.63  ·  Rating details ·  718 Ratings  ·  84 Reviews
Jack Weyland's presence on the LDS bestsellers list is sure to continue with this thrilling new novel!

When Kristen Boone leaves Ashton, Idaho, to attend school at UCLA, she plans to pursue a career in theater and dance. But her plans are derailed when she meets Chad Nieteri, a wealthy, carefree, California boy who is intrigued by Kristen's wholesome Mormon values and begin

Published January 1st 2005 by Shadow Mountain

To ask other readers questions about Saving Kristen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Saving Kristen

Nov 10, 2007 rated it it was ok
Nov 17, 2009 rated it did not like it
Shelves: fiction
This book was not for me. I just can't bring myself to like an insipid female character who needs a guy to "save" her. I read a free version of this book, but it was my first & LAST from this author. I resorted to skimming. If you do take the plunge, it only took me about 1/2 hr to read.

Here's this book in a nutshell: ***SPOILER ALERT*****

An Idaho mormon girl who likes to dance decides to go to UCLA (against her fathers better judgement). While there, a California boy pursues her. She doesn
Sandra Munro
Sep 30, 2009 rated it did not like it
I'm not a big fan of Jack Weyland books for teenagers, but one of my teenagers has been recently encouraged by one of their friends to read this, and I was curious to see what it was like - and found that it was very like all of the other of these books that I have read.

Which is to say that while the author seems to really have his heart in the right place, I'm always disappointed by the low standards of his characters, who repeatedly make poor choices. The books seem to be written with the obj
Oct 30, 2009 rated it it was ok
A light read; a bit silly and predictable with plot and dialogue, as are most stories Weyland tends to write. But it seemed worth it to read this story because it just takes a couple hours to breeze through and there are admirable themes like repentance and standing up for what's right, justice vs. mercy, etc. This book is a good read for people who don't mind an ultimately cheesy, if uplifting story.
Jun 07, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: lds-fiction
I downloaded this from Deseret Book as a free e-book about a year ago and just finally got around to reading it. Super-quick read, definitely not Jack Weyland's finest.
Aug 23, 2007 rated it did not like it
Ugh. I keep giving books like this a try because I want "clean" books, but I really should stop. Way cheesy and totally unbelievable.
Sep 29, 2009 rated it did not like it
Blah not good talks about tatoos, drinking and balh blah blah! I was REALLY dissapointed with jack weyland!
Brittany Sweeney
This Jack Weyland novel tells the story of Kristen, a girl who loves to dance and is in love with her brother's friend. Upon leaving her hometown of Ashton, Idaho to attend UCLA, Kristen learns that not everyone shares her Mormon values and beliefs. One young man named Chad becomes very intersted in Kristen, and begins to lure her into his world of parties and expensive dinners. Little does Kristen realize that the perfect Chad comes with a dark past; his extra-curricular activities are not only ...more
Rachel Warren
Nov 11, 2016 rated it it was ok
(PLOT) This book is about a girl named Kristen who goes to UCLA for college and meets a boy who is wants to be her friend. He is really nice to her and gives her everything, but later she sees the kind of guy he really is, and it isn't good. She leaves California to go back to her home town Idaho but Chad, the guy she met, needs to find her to get revenge for leaving him and messing up his life. The cops get involved but Chad doesn't stop. Will he find her or be found before he gets there?
Nov 04, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lds-fiction, own-it
I was surprised at how much I liked this book! To be honest, I don't expect a whole lot out of most LDS novels, so this one was a surprise. Good plot, good development of characters, good resolution... The only thing I didn't enjoy were some of the descriptions of Chad Nieteri - the "bad guy." He was a jerk! The descriptions just showed how awful and disgusting he really was, so they needed to be there, but it still disgusts me that there really are people out there like that. But anyway, as a w ...more
Sep 07, 2011 rated it liked it
Amelia Carter
This book is about a naive Idaho girl who moves to California to attend college. Kirsten is a mormon girl who falls in love with a cute California boy who shows interest in her values. Throughout the story, Kristen finds out that her boyfriends isn't who he claims to be, and it actually the leader of a very dangerous gang. The story is about how Kristen fights through this challenge while trying not to get killed.

I liked this book, but I didn't love it. It had a very interesting storyline, but
Nov 08, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
This book was definitely written for a teenage girl. I read it in about 2 1/2 hours. It was decent but very predictable. I thought it was pretty sad that she caved the first time she was offered alcohol. Is she really that weak? The end was pretty predictable too. No surprise twists. I didn't like how he chose to end things with the LDS cop either. Overall the book was okay but check it out from the library first if you are over the age of 16.
Jul 03, 2009 rated it really liked it
This is a great quick read. It kept me reading to the end. Thought it had just enough to keep you interested. Not packed with suspense, pretty predictable, but I got out of it what I wanted! What did I want, you ask?? I wanted a quick read, that kept my attention, had a good moral story, likable characters, and some love :) The relationship in the end of the book needs some work throughout the book to make it more believable. However, it worked for me.
Danay Riggs
Feb 24, 2010 rated it liked it
I love Jack Weyland books! They are fun and realistic! This book in particularly was the first that I read of his books and it made me want to read more of them!! I liked the main character in this book. She was very sweet and very innocent. I thought it was a very good plot. It was a very appropriate for teens and adults and I think that while it was a good read, it also had a lesson that we can all learn from.
May 28, 2010 rated it it was ok
This is the first Jack Weyland book I've read and maybe someday I'll give another a try but I was so disappointed in this. It was pretty much a story out of The New Era, just super long. Didn't seem like a 'real' author wrote it, I could've written the thing for goodness sakes. Was kind of sad I wasted the time to read the whole thing.
Mar 01, 2009 rated it really liked it
This was nothing like I expected with the illegal seizing of drug money and then the "chase" (not to give away what happens) Also a good look into choices and repentance. A fun, quick read with a lot of action. I hadn't read Jack Weyland since I was a teenager until recently with As Always, Dave so I picked up this on the bookmobile last time it was here and enjoyed the story.
Oct 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
Kristen goes off to UCLA unprepared to face the temptations Chad and his friends confront her with. Now she faces the possibility that her life will be taken. I was very impressed with Officer Dutton whose honesty is not valued in California, but very appreciated by Kristen's family. This is a good read for a young adult.
Jun 23, 2009 rated it did not like it
Could I have a little grape juice with this cheese. I could not stand the dialogue of this book. No one talks this way. Chads dialogue just made me want to scream. This story could have been a really great LDS fiction. It could have been written so it was believable, with great moral lessons and appealed to a greater variety of people. I wouldn't recommend it.
Jun 12, 2008 rated it liked it
I picked up this book at the library the other day. It was a typical Jack Weyland novel - which means it was pretty easy to read and very, very fast-paced. Well, maybe that's not the right way to put it. What I mean is, he makes up in plot for what he lacks in description. But that's not neccessarily a bad thing. Anyway, I liked the book!
Sep 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. I knew some of the places that were written about. I was excited when it talked about the little town of Squirrel. I have been there. It is an actual place. My Aunt & Uncle use to run the Squirrel Store. I love all of the books by Jack Weyland that I have read & was not disappointed with this one
Oct 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Margo Kelly
Feb 06, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful book. This is one I can highly recommend to everyone. It's not as "meaty" as recent books I've read, and it was pretty predictable - but it was a wonderful light read.

No bad language, no explicit sex scenes, and a good moral to the story.

This is a book I can recommend to all friends/family of all ages.
Nov 03, 2009 rated it liked it
This was a great short book to read. It wasn't so involving that I felt weighed down reading it. It is great fiction for LDS readers, who would understand the standards and beliefs of the characters.

There was suspense, and I wanted to see what happened. It was interesting enough that I kept reading. Not too heavy reading--good for a quiet afternoon/evening.
Feb 21, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: lds-fiction
I would like to point out to all of you, namely my brother and husband, that I read this book 2 or 3 years ago and I gave it two stars- barely two stars. See? I'm not an idiot who gives 5 stars to stupid books! I just read the other Weyland's when I was a youth and I rate them according to how I feel about them WHEN I read them.
Aug 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This is a cute fun read. Jack Weyland writes LDS fiction that appeals to women. This book shows us consequences that can occur if simple commandments are not kept. Weyland also woos readers by throwing in a cute love story.
Jun 11, 2008 rated it really liked it
This book starts out slow with character and story development. After all the intro development stuff it is an easy to read book that I really enjoyed. A lot of the book is easily predictable, but still pretty good...I would have given it 3-1/2 stars.
Sep 19, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: lds-books, fiction
I got this book as a free ebook off of the Deseret Book website. It was kind of dorky but it did keep my attention. I probably would have really liked it if I was 12-14, and to be fair, it is written for a youth audience.
May 22, 2009 rated it really liked it
This is a great book. It illustrates the temptations that we go through in life- no matter what they are, we all have them. It had a very good message in it for not only young readers, but for people of all ages.
Oct 26, 2009 rated it really liked it
I liked it. Enough action that it moved along quickly. Enough love interest, despite predictability (I like romantic predictability, though). No inappropriate scenes that embarrassed me. Thank goodness. Fast read - 3 hours in one sitting.
  • No Longer Strangers
  • When the Bough Breaks
  • Dancing in the Light (Keane-Morrison Family Saga, #3)
  • Meet Your Match
  • Unsung Lullaby
  • Previously Engaged
  • The Bishop's Bride
  • Baptists at Our Barbecue
  • The Perfect Fit (Butterfly Box, #3)
Jack Weyland is the best-selling author of young-adult fiction for the Latter-day Saint market. In fact, the modern genre of Latter-day Saint-themed popular fiction is one he is largely responsible for creating with his overwhelmingly popular novel Charly. His interest in fiction began with a correspondence course in creative writing taken during a summer at BYU where he was doing research work. S ...more
More about Jack Weyland...

Fiction Deals

• Vanessa and Her Sister
    $13.99 $2.99
  • The King's Mistress
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Sun (The Northern Lights Series, No 3)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Cement Garden (Ian McEwan Series Book 2)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Book of Love: Poems of Ecstasy and Longing
    $8.24 $1.99
  • Under the Wide and Starry Sky
  • Illuminations: A Novel of Hildegard von Bingen
    $14.95 $1.99
  • The Cove
    $7.49 $1.99
  • The Secret Healer (The Secret Healer #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Bagombo Snuff Box
  • The High Mountains of Portugal
  • The Cat's Pajamas: Stories
    $7.99 $1.99
  • East Wind: West Wind: The Saga of a Chinese Family (Oriental Novels of Pearl S. Buck Book 8)
    $17.99 $2.99
  • The Thistle and the Rose (Tudor Saga, #8)
  • The Burgess Boys