Start by marking “Nourishment: What Animals Can Teach Us about Rediscovering Our Nutritional Wisdom” as Want to Read:

Reflections on feeding body and spirit in a world of change

Animal scientists have long considered domestic livestock to be too dumb to know how to eat right, but the lifetime research of animal behaviorist Fred Provenza and his colleagues has debunked this myth. Their work shows that when given a choice of natural foods, livestock have an astoundingly refined palate,
Published November 26th 2018 by Chelsea Green Publishing Company

To ask other readers questions about Nourishment, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nourishment

Start your review of Nourishment: What Animals Can Teach Us about Rediscovering Our Nutritional Wisdom
Nathan
Sep 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Effortlessly finding its place among such contemplative environmental works such as Silent Spring and A Sand County Almanac, this book presents a simply fantastical amount of information: Some you know, some you sort-of-knew in the past but had forgotten, and, of course, the new stuff.

Even if you consider yourself to be sympathetic toward animal and plant life, it’s easy to fall into a way of thinking that figures humans as simply superior in every way, needing no help or considering that few
Kamila
Apr 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Great book. I’ve heard Fred on Permaculture Podcast and I loved his energy. He covers so many different and important topics, so don’t be discouraged by the title. It’s not only about animals, in fact it’s only a few first chapters and then it gets deeper and better.
I think the book is as important to read today as is “Homo Sapiens”.
Well done sir. I was extremely delighted I’ve read your book, I’ve given it to my best friend as a birthday present. I’ll tell all my friends to read it as it is
Jess Macallan
Dec 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
NOURISHMENT is a brilliant, thought-provoking book on nature, nutrition, and reconnecting with our innate wisdom. Fred Provenza covers an impressive number of critical current topics regarding animal behavior, plants, nutrition, health, the environment, spirituality, and more. He delivers an engaging book that offers solid research along with poignant storytelling. He's written the book in a way that invites readers to explore the ideas alongside him.

I bookmarked so many pages to revisit, I
Joost
Mar 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: re-read
An amazing read. Wow.
Aleksandar Janković
You can tell this is Fred Provenza's life work by the sheer breadth and depth of the this extremely well referenced book. He shares with us some fundamental nutrition wisdom, but also a lot of crucial life lessons along the way. The amount of work that went into putting this book together is a testament to how far Chelsea Green has some as a publisher.

Overall, one of the more important books I have read recently, and certainly one that is easy to universally recommend to anyone.
Jen Ubelaker
Feb 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
So good! I had to take this book in small portions, and digest slowly. Part textbook, part Kingsolver-esque stories, and all very relevant information for our life and times. Well researched and explained. I have passed my copy of this book on to friends as a must-read.
Aug 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Mary
Dec 20, 2018

• Mostly Dead Things
  • The Girl with the Louding Voice
  • Your Body's Many Cries for Water: You Are Not Sick, You Are Thirsty: Don't Treat Thirst With Medications
  • Before the Storm (World of Warcraft, #15)
  • Jaina Proudmoore: Tides of War (World of Warcraft, #11)
  • Politics in Healing: Suppression and Manipulation in American Medicine
  • True to Form: How to Use Foundation Training for Sustained Pain Relief and Everyday Fitness
  • The Manufacturing of Greta Thunberg
  • Growth: From Microorganisms to Megacities
  • Against the Grain: A Deep History of the Earliest States
  • Eating Right in America: The Cultural Politics of Food and Health
  • Modern Food, Moral Food: Self-Control, Science, and the Rise of Modern American Eating in the Early Twentieth Century
  • Seeing Like a State: How Certain Schemes to Improve the Human Condition Have Failed
  • Discriminating Taste: How Class Anxiety Created the American Food Revolution
  • Clearing Emotional Clutter: Mindfulness Practices for Letting Go of What's Blocking Your Fulfillment and Transformation
  • The Eighty-Dollar Champion: Snowman, the Horse That Inspired a Nation
  • Conviction
  • The Pioneers: The Heroic Story of the Settlers Who Brought the American Ideal West