Start by marking “Nourishment: What Animals Can Teach Us about Rediscovering Our Nutritional Wisdom” as Want to Read:

Reflections on feeding body and spirit in a world of change

Animal scientists have long considered domestic livestock to be too dumb to know how to eat right, but the lifetime research of animal behaviorist Fred Provenza and his colleagues has debunked this myth. Their work shows that when given a choice of natural foods, livestock have an astoundingly refined palate, nibbl
Published November 26th 2018 by Chelsea Green Publishing Company

To ask other readers questions about Nourishment, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nourishment

Start your review of Nourishment: What Animals Can Teach Us about Rediscovering Our Nutritional Wisdom
Nathan
Sep 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Effortlessly finding its place among such contemplative environmental works such as Silent Spring and A Sand County Almanac, this book presents a simply fantastical amount of information: Some you know, some you sort-of-knew in the past but had forgotten, and, of course, the new stuff.

Even if you consider yourself to be sympathetic toward animal and plant life, it’s easy to fall into a way of thinking that figures humans as simply superior in every way, needing no help or considering that few w
Kamila
Apr 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Great book. I’ve heard Fred on Permaculture Podcast and I loved his energy. He covers so many different and important topics, so don’t be discouraged by the title. It’s not only about animals, in fact it’s only a few first chapters and then it gets deeper and better.
I think the book is as important to read today as is “Homo Sapiens”.
Well done sir. I was extremely delighted I’ve read your book, I’ve given it to my best friend as a birthday present. I’ll tell all my friends to read it as it is o
Jess Macallan
Dec 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
NOURISHMENT is a brilliant, thought-provoking book on nature, nutrition, and reconnecting with our innate wisdom. Fred Provenza covers an impressive number of critical current topics regarding animal behavior, plants, nutrition, health, the environment, spirituality, and more. He delivers an engaging book that offers solid research along with poignant storytelling. He's written the book in a way that invites readers to explore the ideas alongside him.

I bookmarked so many pages to revisit, I won'
Joost
Mar 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: re-read
An amazing read. Wow.
Aleksandar
You can tell this is Fred Provenza's life work by the sheer breadth and depth of the this extremely well referenced book. He shares with us some fundamental nutrition wisdom, but also a lot of crucial life lessons along the way. The amount of work that went into putting this book together is a testament to how far Chelsea Green has some as a publisher.

Overall, one of the more important books I have read recently, and certainly one that is easy to universally recommend to anyone.
Raymond B.
Jun 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Dr. Provenza provides an insightful and knowledgeable account of nourishment from perspectives of animal feeding, human nutrition and emotional, spiritual and physical satisfaction. Truly a great work, written from a content perspective for all readers to enjoy and reflect. Thank you Dr. Provenza!
Jen Ubelaker
Feb 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
So good! I had to take this book in small portions, and digest slowly. Part textbook, part Kingsolver-esque stories, and all very relevant information for our life and times. Well researched and explained. I have passed my copy of this book on to friends as a must-read.
Aug 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant through and through
Yas
Jun 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
In this time of coronavirus pandemic and globalization, this book is a must read as the author explains why we have this disease now.
Uroš Mikolič
Aug 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Rarely one comes across a book with such profound wisdom. One of the best books I read in recent years.
Kylie Mactaggart
May 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A fascinating insight into what we can all learn from animals. I also love the way Fred has brought into our consciousness how to live our life.
Connor McCuaig
Apr 24, 2020

• Conviction
  • The Girl with the Louding Voice
  • The Holdout
  • The Pioneers: The Heroic Story of the Settlers Who Brought the American Ideal West
  • The Sun Down Motel
  • Call of the Reed Warbler: A New Agriculture – A New Earth
  • Love's Knowledge: Essays on Philosophy and Literature
  • Letter to a Young Farmer: How to Live Richly Without Wealth on the New Garden Farm
  • The Four-Category Ontology: A Metaphysical Foundation for Natural Science
  • Divine Economy: Theology and the Market (Radical Orthodoxy Series)
  • A Good Neighborhood
  • The Senses of Walden
  • Human Nature and the Limits of Science
  • Deschooling Society
  • How to Sit (Mindfulness Essentials, #1)
  • A Monk's Guide to a Clean House and Mind
  • How to Walk (Mindfulness Essentials, #4)
  • How to Eat (Mindfulness Essentials, #2)