Start by marking “A Meeting With Medusa/Green Mars” as Want to Read:
A Meeting With Medusa/Green Mars

A Meeting With Medusa/Green Mars

(Tor Doubles #1)

A Meeting with Medusa - Arthur C. Clarke
Taking place partly on Earth and partly in the atmosphere of Jupiter, the story tells of Howard Falcon, the captain of a new and experimental giant-sized helium-filled airship. When an accident causes the ship to crash, Falcon is badly injured and takes over a year to fully recover.

Green Mars - Kim Stanley Robinson
Nearly a generatio
Mass Market Paperback, 180 pages
Published October 15th 1988 by Tor Books

To ask other readers questions about A Meeting With Medusa/Green Mars, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Meeting With Medusa/Green Mars

Jason
Jun 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-books, read-2016
5 Stars

A Meeting with Medusa is a classic and legendary novella by the scientific great Arthur C. Clarke. This is a futuristic story that touches on first contact. The story takes place on Jupiter, a strange and utterly massive gas planet that is difficult for people to understand. Clarke adds layer upon layer to the speculative fiction by having the protagonist in this one be a man/machine named Howard Falcon.

This is a well written and well done sci-fi thriller. I read it before moving on to t
Tomislav
Jan 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is Tor Double #1, of a series of 36 double books published from 1988 to 1991 by Tor Books. It contains two novellas, bound together tête-bêche in mass market paperback – back-to-back, inverted, with two front covers and both titles on the spine. The novellas are listed here alphabetically by author; neither should be considered “primary.”

A Meeting with Medusa, by Arthur C. Clarke (1971)
This was originally published in the December 1971 issue of Playboy Magazine, and won the 1973 Nebula Aw
Negativni
Alastair Reynolds mi je već s prvim romanom Revelation Space (osvrt) postao omiljen pisac. Nedavno sam vidio da je sa Stephenom Baxterom objavio The Medusa Chronicles, nastavak novelette A. C. Clarka, pa sam ju htio pročitati.

A Meeting with Medusa je priča o Howardu Falconu, čije je tijelo nakon jedne gotovo fatalne nesreće unaprijeđeno mehaničkim dodacima, koji mu kasnije omoguće da istraži Jupiter izbliza, gdje osim zanimljivih mješavina plinova, nađe i nešto puno zanimljivije.

Najbolje u priči
Michael
I read this book in a couple of hours. It was only 67 pages long. It came in the form of a TOR double. It was presented as a short novel but was in reality more of a long short story. I read it because a sequel, The Medusa Chronicles, was published in June 2016 via a collaborative effort between Alastair Reynolds and Stephen Baxter. Alastair Reynolds is one of my favorite authors and I also enjoy works by Stephen Baxter. I am now cautious about reading their sequel because I just wasn't impresse ...more
Colphalanx
Jun 17, 2007 rated it it was amazing
This was really my first classic science fiction book of my own. It includes Clarke's "A Meeting With Medusa" short story describing the first manned (if you can call it that!) expedition to the atmosphere of Jupiter. In fact, this short story is the inspiration for many of the details later seen in Ben Bova's Jupiter! The other half is an excerpt from Kim Stanley Robinson's Green Mars that describes a group of people climbing Mars' immense Mount Olympus in a post-terraforming Mars like people d ...more
Kay
Feb 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just not my thing. This Sci-Fi novella was written during a more optimistic time. The world was fraught with terrors but we had confidence that science and human compassion were going to win the day. It was also written at a time when we were fascinated by the possibilities of an exciting new technology. Sadly, Kubrick had a clearer vision than Clarke.
odedo1
Sep 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was fun
Great short story that was actually first published at playboy magazine ( who would have believed that ? )
Very enjoyable, I sure did !!!
Alvaro Zinos-Amaro
Jun 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2016
A clever pairing of two compelling novellas.
Josh
Jun 03, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't really know anything about this novella until I found out about the new book "The Medusa Chronicles" by Alastair Reynolds and Stephen Baxter, and since I've enjoyed novels from those authors I thought it would make sense to read this story on which the latter novel is based. I'm glad I did, and enjoyed this creative though simplistic take on the exploration of Jupiter. The book really just scratches the surface, both with the character of Howard Falcon and with what's really going on wi ...more
Stevie Kincade
(Audiobook) Re listened in advance of reading "The Medusa Chronicles" 2 hour audiobook, well narrated. Was surprised what a sparse forgettable story it was which can be summarised as follows:

Spoiler: Howard Falcon is the captain of a Spruce Goose type dirigible crewed by Super Chimps. It crashes and Howard barely survives being rebuilt as mostly cyborg. His Cyborg body allows him later in life to explore the high pressure environment of Jupiter. He finds some giant mile long Jellyfish type alien
A.J. Knauss
Nov 16, 2012 rated it liked it
I think Meeting with Medusa was later expanded to a full novel because it ends very suddenly. But as an exploration book in light of the recent Felix Baumgartner balloon feat, it was enjoyable. I like reading sci-fi written years ago to see what the author imagined compared with reality now. Green Mars on the other hand is two stories...a tale of a relationship between the two climbers and the other, a very stock mountain climbing story (no spoiler alerts really, someone gets hurt, someone gets ...more
Betsy Mahaffey
Dec 28, 2014 rated it it was ok
I am so glad to be done with this cute, little book. Ugh. I wanted to love it so much, but these two stories literally back to back with their insufferable, arrogant, unsympathetic protagonists and really not that much in the "man-that's-such-a-cool-idea" tank to redeem them were too much even for me, and I have a pretty high tolerance for these things. I am going back for more though and diving into Clarke's Rendezvous with Rama and then KSR's 2312 which is what landed me here in the first plac ...more
Vincent Stoessel
Jan 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
On par with other Arthur C. Clarke stories but this one struck me with how Clarke really did his research. In spite of the Zeppelin aspect of the story, it felt like a very realistic tale, given what we knew in the early 70s about Jupiter. I read this in prep for the new Baxter/Reynolds "sequel" to this story.
B.szoke
Jul 13, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Meditative rather than moving, this short story captures the essence of what Clarke does best, which is transport the reader to alien environments and capture the wonder and beauty of the cosmos: in this case a journey across the skies of Jupiter in a balloon.
Murilo Queiroz
Jan 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Classic Clarke hard science fiction short novel, with plenty of details about an expedition to Jupiter, ending with a nice cliffhanger, explored in the sequel by Stephen Baxter and Alastair Reynolds, "The Medusa Chronicles".
Jordan Bickimer
Oct 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi
This was my second time around listening to this story and I still adore it! Captures an incredible sense of wonder and magic despite its "hard" sci-fi billing. Stands on its own wonderfully, but really becomes enjoyable as a precursor to The Medusa Chronicles by Baxter and Reynolds.
Marco Paganini
Apr 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Short story, published on Playboy Magazine in 1972. Apparently one of the latest works of Clarke. This is an interesting story, but it's beginning to show its age. Nevertheless, it's well told and entertaining.
Richard Hakes
Sep 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
essential reading, I can say no more.
J.   ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jun 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
An imaginative short by Clarke. It's amazing the things he came up with even if modern science doesn't match a lot of writing anymore.
Bill
Oct 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-books
This is a comment on the audiobook. Both the Clarke story and the reading (Jonathan Davis) were quite good!
Skuli Saeland
Aug 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Eftirminnileg nóvella um framtíðarrannsóknir í geimnum. Clarke er vel að þeim viðurkenningum sem hann hlaut fyrir þessa sögu.
Christopher Roberts
A good novella from Clarke about first encounters with alien life. Not as good as Childhood's End, but better than Rendezvous With Rama.
Fenixbird SandS
Sep 24, 2008 marked it as to-read
Recommends it for: Scifi, Green
Recommended to Fenixbird by: Vivian Cyber Moderator
2 books in this one....hmmmmm Red Mars...blue mars..green mars..I am going hunting at Bookmans shortly for one/some of these!!
Jxx
Aug 18, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun short read.
Melissa
A Meeting with Medusa details Howard Falcon's journey from Commander of an Earth-bound blimp to Ambassador between Machines and Man.

Steve
Aug 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An excellent example of golden age sci-fi. A quick and highly entertaining read.
Michael Huang
A cute sci-fi novella.
Sean
Nov 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Great stories. Unique and visionary.
Michelle
Feb 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017-read
This was a fun story. It was a very exciting, fast-paced adventure story.
TOR Doubles 2 3 Dec 11, 2012 11:23PM
Arthur Charles Clarke was one of the most important and influential figures in 20th century science fiction. He spent the first half of his life in England, where he served in World War Two as a radar operator, before emigrating to Ceylon in 1956. He is best known for the novel and movie 2001: A Space Odyssey, which he co-created with the assistance of Stanley Kubrick.

Clarke was a graduate of King

Tor Doubles (9 books)