Start by marking “The Tour According to G: My Journey to the Yellow Jersey” as Want to Read:
The Tour According to G: My Journey to the Yellow Jersey

The Tour According to G: My Journey to the Yellow Jersey

For years Geraint Thomas appeared blessed with extraordinary talent but jinxed at the greatest bike race in the world: twice an Olympic gold medallist on the track, Commonwealth champion, yet at the Tour de France a victim of crashes, bad luck and his willingness to sacrifice himself for his team-mates.

In the summer of 2018, that curse was blown away in spectacular

Published November 1st 2018 by Quercus

To ask other readers questions about The Tour According to G, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Tour According to G

Start your review of The Tour According to G: My Journey to the Yellow Jersey
Gumble's Yard
Nov 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018
Easy-reading but insightful partly-ghostwritten first–person account of Thomas’s famous Tour de France win, which includes brief sections by Sara Thomas, Rod Ellingworth, Tim Kerrison and Chris Froome.

The book starts briefly with his Olmpic road race crash in 2016 and his double disappointment in 2017 (pulling out of the Giro when he was leader after time loss following a crash caused by a stationary police motorbike, and crashing out of the Tour when second on GC – after having held the yellow
ColinH1
Dec 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cycling, biography
Absolutely brilliant! Fantastic insight into the greatest cycle race from a really honest and genuine guy. The first truly British winner and totally deserved.

Looking forward to the next one G. Giro?
Jim Dennison
Aug 05, 2019 rated it liked it
I doubt this book will be of much interest to anyone who’s not a road cycling enthusiast. And for such people I think Thomas’ first book is significantly better than this one in that it covers a much broader subject matter and is more engaging to read.

There are good moments in this book though ... especially the blow-by-blow account of his win on the Alpe d’Huez - very engaging.

What probably also lifts it to at least 3 stars is Thomas’ recounting of his emotions which is refreshing given his
Susan Ferguson
Great book on the Tour de France - preparation, day by day events and happenings. 2018 - the year Geraint Thomas won the yellow jersey.
Jamie Bowen
Dec 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
G winning the Tour de France was one of the highlights of 2018, this is the story behind that triumph. Geraint gives you a real taste of what it’s like within the peloton on the greatest tour of them all. This was a win based on a lot of hard work and dedication. Not as much humour as his previous book but a good read nonetheless.
Mark
Jun 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
An easy read and really enjoyed! Especially the chapters on stage wins
Russ Brookes
Jan 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
As a big lover of cycling and someone who is a big fan of Geraint Thomas I was looking forward to this book. G's victory was one of my favourite tours and the book is a great recollection of the tour.

It's very well written, honest and funny. It's a very easy read and covers q whole multitude of things, his thoughts of his protected status, the training, the race itself and some funny accounts of coming to terms with being a Tour winner.

I very much enjoyed this book as much as I did seeing G win
John Burgess
Dec 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2018
A must read your all cycling fans.
Andrew
Jan 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An easy read celebrating how good guys sometimes finish first.

Admittedly unlike Sky's other Tour winners, Geraint Thomas does not have the complexities of Wiggins nor does he actively protect his personality like Froome.

In this book Thomas portrays everything as a glass half full, but there is enough honesty between the lines to see that this is not completely Sky-washed self congratulations.

It is clear that Thomas knows he was lucky to be given a free roving rights. However, it is also
Alessandro Feys
Apr 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
When I had completely read the book, I knew that this book is by far the best book I have read. From the beginning to the end I was amazed by the details that were told. They released information that I otherwise would never have known. I like to know things from behind the scenes. I also liked the theme of sport and in particular cycling because I have been a cycling fan for ten years. I found the space where the story took place great. France is a very beautiful country with beautiful culture ...more
Jane
Feb 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was thrilled to be asked to review this book by Nudge.

Something extraordinary happened on the "Tour" last summer which cycling fans will never forget and that was Geraint Thomas -yellow jersey and winning the 2018 Tour De France with Team Sky. We expected this would be another year for Froome , but as the Tour progressed it was will he wont he- it was feat alone to win a stage and yellow jersey but from then on we were on the edge of our seats.

Just who is this great rider, I knew a little of
russell barnes
I liked the Tour According to G and I like the guy writing it, but this is vastly improved (much like his form - arf). We know G is a good guy and insanely popular with fans and within the peloton, but this time out we get a real glimpse under the actual hood of what it takes for a nice guy to win the biggest prize in cycling.

He's still nice, but the journey to the Yellow Jersey is littered with vignettes of the steel all professional athletes need to make it any sport, along with the small
Heather Belleguelle
Feb 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Being sidelined last July with a minor injury, I found myself sucked into and falling in love with the Tour de France. What better way to relive the experience than by hearing his version of the story from the winner himself? As with the earlier book, The World of Cycling According to G, Tom Fordyce has captured Geraint Thomas’s words and thoughts and put them together in such a way that you feel the man himself is sitting there taking you through the event. And it’s not all just about the 2018 ...more
Lee Wosika
Jan 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After going through the whole Tour on TV and seeing just how impressive G was this was a book I had to read. I have always found G to be a very humble guy and after sacrificing so many tours to carry Chris to be victorious, I'm overjoyed he accomplished his dreams. The book is a really easy read, even for newbies to get into. The book takes my mind to the tour as a member of team sky living every moment page by page. Reading someones own account of the tour like G's is very different to that one ...more
Sara McCaffery
Jul 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Geraint Thomas is an easygoing, charming, humble man. I have always loved him, been devastated when he crashes, and ecstatic when he triumphs. This book is hilariously self-aware and self-deprecating but also gave me goosebumps when he would break down crucial moments in Le Tour. I can’t wait to read his other book - he’s so funny and genuine! I’m so so happy to see him getting the recognition he deserves, so long overdue. Sometimes fame can be invasive, but I hope he knows how much his fans ...more
Matt Weir
Aug 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Just like his previous book, this was a joy to read. It’s written so openly and so well and you get a real idea of who ‘G’ actually is.
As a compatriot and a cycling fan I am obviously drawn to Ger and seeing him win, watching nearly every stage of that Tour de France made this book even more interesting because he really opens up.
He criticises, he talks about his doubts, he speaks truthfully about other cyclists and it’s refreshing to hear that from a current athlete without spewing out the
Alex
Aug 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It’s not literature. But it’s a very good example of sporting story telling. Geraint loves a good cliche, it’s true. But he makes you smile a lot as you accompany him on a history making journey to TDF triumph.

He comes across as a good human being and certainly one you’d love to chat to on the pub. He does right by his entire support team and gives some amazing insights into pro cycling

If you love cycling it’s a must read. If you love sporting excellence it’s a should read.

I really enjoyed it.
JOHN ANDREW MITCHELL
Nov 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A Refreshingly Great Read

How can you not root for G! For a long time viewed as a super-domestique who would perhaps never have both the opportunity and the luck to add his name to the roll-honour of truly great riders; this book candidly tells the tale of 2018 where luck, talent and determination come together to produce an unstoppable force!

Very well written and a deeply detailed and honest account of what it takes to win the Tour de France!I

Bravo G!
Robin
Aug 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: memoirs, 2019list
If you have followed Tour de France over the past few years, you know who Geraint Thomas is and this book will have meaning for you. If you have never watched it, this book will be tough to follow. Geraint details his win last year while also covering aspects of his life, of course. It's a cool book and I loved getting the behind the scenes details such as when we learn that as soon as the race ends, he sits and waits for a drug test!
Mwsh
Feb 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It’s taking me 24 hours to read the last 200 pages. An honest, simply written book. G is an amazing normal talented gentleman. What an amazing year it has been, great read if 1) your Welsh and proud and sporty 2) your proud of your Welsh Heritage 3) you love it that a Welshman has wont the Tour de France!!
Gavin
May 17, 2019 rated it liked it
Like his previous books.. this was a great read. Not sure if it's all him writing or with ghost assistance.

If it's all him writing then he has a really engaging style, and a great narrator. The sort of person you would want to have a pint with in a pub and listen to him telling stories.

Huge hopes for him in going forward
Tracey
Jan 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Really lovely to read of G's journey through the Tour and his personality and honesty really came across. I liked the points of view of those around him being included and because of that I empathised with what his wife and family must have gone through following his journey through the Tour. I'm not going to ride the Tour de France but his story inspired me not to give up on my goals.
Joe Garcia
May 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: fans of the TDF
Another fun read by Geraint Thomas. He captures what he was going through during the 2018 TDF and how by happenstance he found himself at the top of the pack. He explains how on one hand he is physically ready but mentally he has to fight the voice of doubt and to press on. Athletes like G train hard all year for one chance to win the greatest bicycle tour in the world.
Andrew
Jan 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Love G sharing his personality to his book and his references to his other sporting loves of rugby and football. Have read his prior book also, this is more a detailed look back on the tour and specific stages. If you followed to 2018 tour closely, this is a must read.
Tufty McTavish
Fair enjoyed this retelling of the 2018 tour. I remembered it well enough from the descriptions that it actually felt quite 'live' in some ways.

A bit of a flyover with great behind the scenes accounts, rather than anything hugely deep-dive, I thought.
Phil
Apr 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
A very personal account of an epic journey to the pinnacle of sport, lifting the lid on day to day life as a professional cyclist. More human than a lot of sports bios in sharing relationships as well as achievements. Enhanced by short chapters written by those closest to the action.
Jojo
Jul 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Enjoyable read. especially while watching the 2019 tour and being able to relate some bits to the daily excitement and slog. Gives an insight in to what was a potential team-on-team fight, maybe more than as obvious during the actual event.
James Roberts
Jan 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyed this as a light hearted, yet very insightful, delve into the events of the 2018 TdF. Fascinated by the goings on which G had to deal with, and by his account did so without hard feelings, and maintained his strength of mind and purpose.
David Shepherd
Jul 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting insight into G’s 2018 Tour de France victory. Not quite as good as his first book. Short chapters by Sara Thomas, Dave Brailsford, Chris Froome and others. Worth reading if you’re a cycling fan.
Michael Homan
Jul 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A class act

G is a class act who proved his character after Bernal emerged as the 2019 Tour came to a close. A brilliant and honest read, encapsulating great detail from his 2018 victory. Chapeau G!
« previous 1 3 next »

• Domestique: The Real-life Ups and Downs of a Tour Pro
  • My Time
  • Slaying the Badger: LeMond, Hinault and the Greatest Ever Tour de France
  • Magic Spanner: The World of Cycling According to Carlton Kirby
  • Icons: My Inspiration. My Motivation. My Obsession.
  • Triumphs and Turbulence: My Autobiography