Start by marking “Rivers of London Volume 7: Action at a Distance” as Want to Read:
Rivers of London Volume 7: Action at a Distance

Rivers of London Volume 7: Action at a Distance

(Rivers of London graphic novels #7)

Published March 26th 2019 by Titan Comics (first published 2019)

Start your review of Rivers of London Volume 7: Action at a Distance
Emily
Nov 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy, 2019
I’m always wishing for more Nightingale when I read the Peter Grant novels, and I finally got my wish! This one’s all about Nightingale’s past—what fun! It was a good yarn, and I loved that he had a pet Bloodhound to help him find the baddie!
The historical notes at the end of the book were fascinating, especially the piece about Bloodhounds being considered in the search for Jack the Ripper. I really liked learning about the magician Jasper Maskelyne’s exploits during World War II, but I was
Ben Truong
Rivers of London: Action at a Distance is a graphic novel from the Rivers of London or Peter Grant series written by Ben Aaronovitch and Andrew Cartmel and penciled by Brian Williamson. This installment takes place after The Hanging Tree and Rivers of London: Water Weed and before Lies Sleeping and is best read after the sixth book. Rivers of London: Action at a Distance collects all four issues of the 2018 series.

Rivers of London: Action at a Distance has Detective Chief Inspector Thomas
Andrew
Dec 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
And so on to the next graphic novel instalment from Rivers of London - and this time we finally get some back story.

As usually I will try and refrain from giving away spoilers (and to be honest the cover does a pretty good job of setting the scene without any help from me). However yes we head back to the early days Nightingale and learn a little more about the man who would become the father figure and mentor we see in the pages of the books today.

Yes I will admit that at the time of
Alex Sarll
For all of us who ever longed to hear more about Nightingale's wartime past – this opens with him knocking a Messerschmitt out of the sky, and very nearly made me punch the air on a bus. Admittedly, the rest of it isn't at quite that pitch, but it does still follow him in his younger and (even more) dashing days, tracking a serial killer and battling Establishment skulduggery in post-War England, with the assistance of Toby's predecessor as the Folly's resident very good boy. Peter Grant only ...more
Ben
Jan 19, 2020 rated it liked it
The cover somewhat mislead me into thinking this would have a greater connection with Nightingale's experiences during the war, and while the story touched on the war years and was focused on Nightingale, it was actually set in 1957 for the most part. While it was a fun story, I felt that even for a graphic novel there was not really much there and the basic story was padded out with modern day scenes of Peter looking back and reading over the old case files - essentially turning this into a ...more
Rana
Nov 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Delightful story. The best part though was the one-page short at the end where Molly writes gay fanfic starring Peter and Nightingale.

When are we getting this series on television????
Vendela
Nov 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Brilliant. I’d love more of Nightingale’s past.
Ellen
Read on hoopla!

The delight of a Nightingale backstory comic is overshadowed by my deep deep boredom with fetishy serial killers. I liked the little details: Nightingale saving his dog from getting run over by a double decker bus by magic-ing the bus; Nightingale blowing up planes in front of non-magic people and going "what a funky coincidence" (he does not say funky).

Overall /fine/.

The best part was the bit of info-dump about the British nuclear project, how it was a horrifying thing with
Rosie
Dec 06, 2019 rated it liked it
Not my favorite ever - I didn't really enjoy the art. I felt Molly's features were telescoped. In the story the Molly subplot felt very one-note and I guess I had expectations of getting more back story for Nightingale, but really no new information was revealed. The overall plot was full of cliches, the jumble of science, comic books, dogs, and Molly subplot could not save the plot. Of course, still minorly enjoyable as all things Nightingale and Grant might be to some degree - but not up to ...more
Raj
Nov 29, 2019 rated it liked it
A funeral is an occasion for Nightingale to suggest that Peter Grant do some reading in the Folly archives, and what he finds sheds a bit of light on his governor's mysterious past. This is quite a slight story, but it's nice to see a bit of what went on with the Folly in the years before Peter, when Nightingale was the only official wizard in England. This sheds little light on the time during the War, which is sort of the period that I'm most curious about, but a post-war event.

(view spoiler)
Chris
Jan 07, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
Even if these Graphic Novels are "cannon" to the Peter Grant series, this one offered limited new input for the story, instead building more on historical background stories, especially for one of the other lead protagonists.
The graphic artwork is a minimal story board for the text, looking more like a plan for something for television: And the graphic media does not highlight Ben Aaronovich's fascination with architecture, fashion or cars with any of the style evident in his written works, but
Blind Mapmaker
Dec 07, 2019 rated it liked it
3.25 Not a bad story per se, but the evil Nazi serial killer wasn't the most original effort yet. The comic book also continues to suffer from what feels like hasty narration and the overall lack of a narrative voice. Putting the Windscale Disaster into the story was a nice touch. The new minor characters were mostly nice, especially the dog Hesperus. I had the feeling the art style was a bit off, especially when it came to Peter. Not sure how I feel about the side stories, especially the Molly ...more
Lucy
Not my favorite of the graphic novels. I have difficulty telling characters apart in the artwork and I really dislike the depictions of Molly.
I like getting a bit of Nightingale's past history.
I do have a couple of questions about the villain. He was a pilot in WWII for Germany. When we get his back story and a photo, they say he flew Stuka dive bombers on the eastern front. Later they say he was a fighter pilot. Does a dive bomber equal a fighter plane? The other question, bigger to my mind:
BookLever
Dec 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-library
One of my favourite books series and probably the only one I "read" across 3 formats - traditional printed novel, audiobook, and of course graphic novel. I really liked reading the personal history of The Nightingale in this the 7th in the graphic series. And love the one page short story "Tales" that are included at the back of the book. Also in the back of the book is several pages of real world history that pertain to the story, these are absolutely fascinating reading and I guess goes to ...more
Elizabeth A
Man, I was really looking forward to getting some development of Nightingale's past in this volume, and it was instead a very run of the mill detective story, just set in post-war Britain. It was still an ok mystery, nice to take down a "former" nazi who's been killing women and being protected by the government so he can continue his "contributions" to "science." But there was more development for Molly here than any of our main characters. And I didn't appreciate the queerbait-y joke comic at ...more
Fiona
Jan 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Originally posted on my Blog Fi’s Bibliofiles

Whoo more Nightingale! In this instalment of the graphic novels we are starting to delve into back story, and in this we get to see what Nightingale was getting up to in the 1950s. This one centres around a serial killer that becomes linked with the Windscale fire of 1957! It’s a fun and fast paced story that includes a couple of characters that make an appearance in the books. I really enjoyed this especially with the interludes of Peter and Molly.
Siobhán
Nov 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
I think Thomas (Was that your tank?) Nightingale is one of the coolest characters from the Rivers of London series. This comic explores his past a bit more, not WWII but the aftermath of it. Highly entertaining but overall a bit too short. I ALSO LOVED THE DOGGO and I will be forever mad if something happens to the cutie! In addition I enjoyed that Molly was sort of part of the story even though the entire Molly business in the books is a bit weird. Anyhow, entertaining. Please, Ben Aaronovitch, ...more
Reni
Dec 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Decent art (although I had some trouble telling some characters apart, so I guess it could have been better).

The plot isn't mind-blowing but it's decent (though I swear I've seen all the major plot points used before in a 1950's crime story, just without the magic) and there's a cute dog (a good boy!).

There is one thing I'm wondering though: (view spoiler)
Bmeyer
Dec 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I have enjoyed all the Peter Grant graphic novels but this one was something special. I love Peter, but I have been interested in Nightingale's life as the lone British man of letters after the war since the first book in the series. This little glimpse has been very satisfying and I'm hoping for more in later books: graphic or otherwise.
Jun 15, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
It was fun to get a Nightingale-centric story, flashing back and forth between the war, the 1950s, and present day, and the story was pretty decent (certainly stronger than some of the other comics), but good god, I wish the Rivers of London comics had better art. It is like reading comics from the 90s all over again.
Mark Redman
Jan 30, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
A well-told story featuring Thomas Nightingale, set in 1957. This delves into the history of Nightingale as he tries to uncover a serial killer.

Although the artwork was very good, the actual story felt too underwhelming and underdeveloped.

Although it is an entertaining read it can be completed in 20 minutes.

Louise
Dec 17, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2019-reads
2 stars

I’m a completionist or I wouldn’t bother. Wish Ben Aaronovitch would drop the comics but since he occasionally references them in main books I’ll carry on. Have taken to sneakily reading them in bookshops before returning them to the shelves though. Don’t have disposable income to waste on this guff.
Molokov
Dec 09, 2019 rated it liked it
Another good Rivers of London comic, but this one is a story from history (about Nightingale) rather than a modern one about Peter. Not quite as gripping as some of the previous stories but clearly influenced by real world history and with good research behind it (presented at the back of the book)
Dee
Nov 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Fun as always. Especially interesting to see a bit from Nightingale's history, though correspondingly less Peter-stuff. (Includes a one-page comic of Molly writing fanfic that made me actually shout out loud.)
Nick Schieben
Jan 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
I read the cbr version and enjoyed it. It always a pleasure to delve into Nightingale's past and there is some interesting additional reading included. I shall follow these in chronological order to work them in with the excellent books.
Bryan
Jan 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
Interesting facts in the back too
Linda
Nov 28, 2019 rated it liked it
Graphic novels are too brief for me. I look forward to this as a novel.
Jeff
Jan 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comic-book
Easily the best of the graphic novels.
Becky
Nov 24, 2019 rated it liked it
Not the strongest in the series.Maybe I am just annoyed that False Value has been pushed back.....
Hebridean Reader
Jan 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
An entire extra star for the one shot "Ships in the Night" at the end! ...more

• The Secret Chapter (The Invisible Library #6)
  • The Lights Go Out in Lychford (Lychford, #4)
  • The Book of the Year 2019
  • Giant Days, Vol. 9 (Giant Days #9)
  • Fence, Vol. 1
  • Romancing the Werewolf (Supernatural Society, #2)
  • Why Is Nothing Ever Simple? (The Chronicles of St. Mary's, #10.6)
  • Cotillion
  • Taproot
  • Sorcery & Cecelia: or The Enchanted Chocolate Pot (Cecelia and Kate, #1)
  • The Rosewater Redemption (The Wormwood Trilogy, #3)
  • The Agatha Christie Book Club (Agatha Christie Book Club #1)
  • Clutch of Constables (Roderick Alleyn #25)
  • When in Rome (Roderick Alleyn, #26)
  • Tied Up In Tinsel (Roderick Alleyn, #27)
  • A Grave Mistake (Roderick Alleyn, #30)
  • Amberlough (The Amberlough Dossier, #1)
  • The Cat in the Hat Comes Back
Ben Aaronovitch's career started with a bang writing for Doctor Who, subsided in the middle and then, as is traditional, a third act resurgence with the bestselling Rivers of London series.

Born and raised in London he says that he'll leave his home when they prise his city out of his cold dead fingers.

Rivers of London graphic novels (8 books)
  • Rivers of London Vol. 1: Body Work