Start by marking “Something Like Gravity” as Want to Read:

Something Like Gravity

For fans of Love, Simon and Eleanor and Park, a romantic and sweet novel about a transgender boy who falls in love for the first time—and how first love changes us all—from New York Times bestselling author Amber Smith.

Chris and Maia aren’t off to a great start.

A near-fatal car accident first brings them together, and their next encounters don’t fare much better. Chris’s g
Expected publication: June 18th 2019 by Margaret K. McElderry Books

Win a Copy of This Book

Release date: Jun 18, 2019
    Enter for a chance to win a copy of SOMETHING LIKE GRAVITY by Amber Smith!

For fans of Love, Simon and Eleanor & Park, a romantic and sweet novel a

Format: Print book

Giveaway ends in: a

Availability: 50 copies available, 999 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Apr 22 - May 10, 2019

Countries available: U.S.

• Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about Something Like Gravity, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Something Like Gravity

Adalee Gellar
    Sep 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
    A beautiful, bittersweet young love story that examines the challenges of grief and otherness that face teens. This novel opens up human experiences and teaches compassion and understanding throughout its pages.

I was given the opportunity to read the final draft of this novel and I highly recommend it to all readers. The overall book follows thematic lines of kindness, understanding and self-exploration that are so vital to the young growing older and the older seeking to understand the younger.
    Hilly
    This in not a book I would normally freak out to read based on the synopsis but IT IS AMBER SMITH.
    I can’t freaking wait aaaaaaahhh!
    Ivy
    Jan 31, 2019 marked it as to-read
    Shelves: coming-soon-19
    (I have not read this book. The description just kind of sparked something in me, and then I read the reviews and got a tiny bit more frustrated, so I'm using this space to rant, just a little. Basically, this is more @thecispeoplewhoaregoingtoreadthis than @theauthor)

I'm only adding this book because I've got to say: There's a lot of really great, positive, own-voices genderqueer YA lit coming out this year. This book, in my opinion, doesn't seem like it's going to be included in that category.
    ❄Elsa Frost❄
    LGBT+ rep? Particularly representation of a transgender person who's the main character of this book?? I repeat: the main character?? I'm down! It's about time the wide diversity of the LGBTQ+ community (among all of our marginalized communities) is represented in literature, movies, etc.
    ☼Shannon☼
    Without the dead sister and being transgender, its a cute summer romance. With it though it becomes something extraordinary.

Told from both the POV's of Maia and Chris we get to see their romance blossom and hide their secrets. I loved getting in Chris's head, I don't really know all that much about being transgender. I also liked watching Maia take her sister's camera and try to see what she saw, in an effort to feel closer to her.
    ellie
    Jan 07, 2019 marked it as to-read
    love, simon + amber smith = the way to my heart tbh
    Deepika
    Dec 02, 2018 marked it as 2019-releases  ·  review of another edition

reads For fans of Love, Simon and immediately adds to TBR

also, a trans main character
    Bookworm LLC
    Jan 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
    Shelves: cindy-bookshelf
    I LOVE AMBER SMITH!

Something Like Gravity is a book about transgender and how it affects family as well as friendships, but especially the individual themselves.
    I feel Ms. Smith caught the emotions well of what it's like for a transgender person to live in today's world. The bullying they go through and how they handle it whether it be taking things with a grain of salt because you are who you are or if it gets as bad as suicide.
    People are who they are and should not be judged because they are
    Kelsie Pates
    Jan 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    For Maia, Summer means working at her crappy job, dealing with her divorced-but-still-live-together parents, and trying to reconnect with the memory of her older sister, Mallory, who passed away unexpectedly. But then Chris shows up, moves in next door, and makes her fall in love with him. Or at least, that's how it seems. Chris is staying with his aunt for the Summer because living in a small town for a few months is definitely easier than facing his parents who can't seem to fully accept the f ...more
    Elena
    Dec 03, 2018 marked it as to-read
    Shelves: 2019-releases
    amber smith writing about a trans boy falling in love for the first time???

please just throw this book at my face i need it
    Steff
    Something Like Gravity by Amber Smith is the kind of book that leaves me feeling like it really just wasn't meant for me. And as much as I wanted to love this book, largely due to one of its main characters being deeply interested in space--which I love--and character dynamics that I had been deeply looking forward to, I was massively bored through the majority of this novel. There were very few moments where I found myself perking up to read it and, after a while, finishing the book eventually ...more
    winn
    a soft sweet story about a trans boy finding someone who loves him as much as he deserves
    Corey
    Feb 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
    I received an ARC for this book from Edelweiss. It’s a really beautiful look at life as a transgender teen and his first live. I enjoyed this one and will probably purchase for my library’s YA section.
    Chastity
    Mar 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    I fell in love with this book from the first page and was captivated the entire time by the emotions woven into such amazing story telling. Despite dual perspectives, the writing never loses its flow and instead gains something from the constant back and forth.
    Susan Kowalski
    Feb 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Oh my god! I’m blown away! I LOVED Something Like Gravity! I brought your book to Jamaica with me and couldn’t stop reading it! It made me laugh, cry, wonder, think, and almost every other emotion there is. You are an unbelievably artistic writer! The book made me feel like I was truly a part of Chris and Maia’s lives. I am so, so proud of you!
    Matt Pavloff
    Mar 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Review coming soon (but it was fantastic!)
    Simon
    Mar 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Oh dang, I finished this a minute ago but didn't update Goodreads. Thanks to publisher for an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

I loved it. Speaking as a trans guy and a young adult librarian this book nails it in a way that didn't feel exploitative. I wish I had it when I was a teenager.
    Tiffany Giovino
    Mar 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    I received this book for my honest review.

Something Like Gravity is a beautiful story about a transgender boy finding love for the first time. Most importantly, a love who understands him and loves him as he is. It’s such a beautiful and important love story.

Words cannot express how much I love this book. My heart absorbed every word in this book. The acceptance. The brutality. The sadness. The grief. The anger. All of the emotions, my heart just sucked them all in. I swear, my heart expanded th
    Anna
    Apr 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
    Disclaimer: I received an eARC through Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

A year ago, Chris was badly beaten by group of males who hated Chris for being trans.

A year ago, Maia lost her sister Mallory due to an undetected heart defect.

Now, Chris finds himself in a small town in North Carolina, ten hours away from his home in Buffalo, spending the summer with his aunt after his parents decide that they need some time separate from him.

Maia finds herself avoiding all of her friends, wallowi
    Jenn
    Apr 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
    Shelves: own, arc
    I received a digital ARC of this title from Edelweiss for an honest review.

Chris is spending the summer with his aunt in North Carolina after being homeschooled for the past year after a terrible assault. Maia lives next door to Chris's aunt and is trying to recover from her sister suddenly dying. Their first meeting is when Chris almost runs over Maia, so a friendship doesn't look promising, but they're going to be neighbors for the summer, so Chris tries to make it up to her.

Something like Gra
    Pallavi
    Apr 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Shelves: favorites
    RATING: 5/5 STARS

I am so excited about the young adult genre embracing diversity in many upcoming releases. Books like SOMETHING LIKE GRAVITY are important because they speak to people, let them know they're not alone in what they're going through. And for those of us who haven't had a similar experience as Chris and Maia's in this book, it helps us understand and treat others with empathy.

Full review to come one month prior to publication date!

A sincere thanks to NetGalley and Simon and Schust
    Jack Thomas
    Mar 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Shelves: favorites
    *ARC received by NetGalley*

*4.5 stars

This was incredible. This story follows Chris, a transboy teen, and Maia, his next door neighbor after Chris chooses to live with his Aunt for a few months. So, this was amazing at breaking both Chris and Maia and why they worked together and also why they didn’t. It took complex themes and wove them into a kinda cliche narrative about two people, and two families, on the brink of collapse, and turned it into a cropping, sad, and inspiring contemporary.

Amb
    Staci Vought
    Apr 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
    Character-driven books that deal with tough stuff have always been my favorites because .all humans can find a way to identify with the story. This was a fierce, honest love story. It was my first book with a transgender main character, and I hope to read more as the years go on. I’m excited to have this available to my students when it gets published!
    May Regan
    Feb 03, 2019 marked it as to-read
    In the synopsis of this book, it says "For fans of Love Simon and Eleanor and Park..."
    Love, Simon.
    The movie version of "Simon Vs The Homosapein Agenda."
    I really hope they meant the book.

But you know what? I'm willing to overlook this book-name error because this. Sounds. So. Good.
    Mary Smith
    Feb 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Amber Smith portrayed Chris and Maya and the struggles that they were dealing with beautifully. I felt an emotional connection with them throughout their journey. I would not be surprised to see this book on the New York Times bestsellers list.
    Judgie
    Apr 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Shelves: best-of-2019, faves, ya
    A beautifully written, powerful story about love, loss, accepting who are and accepting others. Told from alternating perspectives, Something Like Gravity is a must read.
    Cindy
    • Going Off-Script
    • Technically, You Started It
    • Wherever We Are
    • Last Night at the Telegraph Club
    Amber Smith is the New York Times bestselling author of the young adult novels The Way I Used to Be, The Last to Let Go, and Something Like Gravity. An advocate for increased awareness of gendered violence, as well as LGBTQ equality, she writes in the hope that her books can help to foster change and spark dialogue surrounding these issues. She grew up in Buffalo, New York, and now lives in Charlo ...more