Start by marking “Something Like Gravity” as Want to Read:
Something Like Gravity

Something Like Gravity

For fans of Love, Simon and Eleanor and Park, a romantic and sweet novel about a transgender boy who falls in love for the first time—and how first love changes us all—from New York Times bestselling author Amber Smith.

Chris and Maia aren’t off to a great start.

A near-fatal car accident first brings them together, and their next encounters don’t fare much better. Chris’s g
Published June 18th 2019 by Margaret K. McElderry Books

Start your review of Something Like Gravity
Larry H
Jun 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
I'm between 4 and 4.5 stars.

"It's hard to figure out what you're supposed to be when you've never even really known who you were in the first place—that was something I'd realized only recently. Something I didn't think my friends would understand. After all, I looked the same and dressed the same and talked the same as I always had. But I wasn't the same."

Chris and Maia meet for the first time when he almost hits her with his car. Neither one is really paying attention, but both feel some sort
destiny ♡ howling libraries
Whew. Okay. Let me start with two things:

1) I am genuinely so sorry to any of my trans friends who may have been hurt by my initial positive rating/remarks about this book. I was seeing things through an incredibly ignorant (and cis) lens. This is one of those instances that reminded me that, when it comes to books that are not own-voice, I should really be looking for own-voice reviews before I start recommending these titles to others.

2) Honestly, feel free to stop reading my review here and
Nenia ✨ I yeet my books back and forth ✨ Campbell

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

DNF @ p.120

The beginning of this story was really interesting but then it quickly became too bland for me. I liked Chris more than I liked Maia, but I didn't really like the romance between them. I understand that this is a book about grief and suffering, but I wasn't all that happy with the way it's done here. It's also worth noting that several #ownvoices reviewers took issue with the way the trans rep was handled.

This isn't a bad book
Tucker  (TuckerTheReader)

Many thanks to Simon & Schuster Children's Books for sending me a copy in exchange for an honest review

After reading some reviews (amazing ones, by the way, that you can check out here and here), I have decided that I won't be picking this one up.

As a cisgender guy, I don't have any experience of what it's like to be a transgender person. Because of that, I want to read books that accurately represent that community which is why I'm passing on this.

Thanks, Simon & Schuster for the ARC. I'm sorr
Danielle (Life of a Literary Nerd)
Amber Smith has such a mesmeorizing way with words - I'm immediately enraptured and invested. Something Like Gravity is a beautiful love story between two people who are healing after their own personal tragedies. I thought Chris and Maia had some of the best chemistry I've ever read in YA. I was so invested in their relationship and I just loved seeing them spend time together and grow closer. Even beyond the romance, seeing each of them grow as people past their fears was so inspiring. There w ...more
chan ☆
i got about 20% into this one before deciding to dnf. definitely not a bad book but i didn't connect with either of the main characters and i definitely don't care about their relationship. ...more
Adalee Gellar
Sep 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful, bittersweet young love story that examines the challenges of grief and otherness that face teens. This novel opens up human experiences and teaches compassion and understanding throughout its pages.

I was given the opportunity to read the final draft of this novel and I highly recommend it to all readers. The overall book follows thematic lines of kindness, understanding and self-exploration that are so vital to the young growing older and the older seeking to understand the younger.
Hilly ♡
Sep 04, 2018 marked it as to-read
IT’S AMBER SMITH’S NEW BOOK. I WANT IT NOW.
Lark
Jun 10, 2019 rated it it was ok
This review contains spoilers. I have formatted the review to hide them, however they might still show up for mobile users, so proceed with caution.

NOTE: I was going to wait for publication day to post this review because of spoilers, however I am pretty angry so I need to get this out.

Thank you NetGalley for providing me with a digital ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.

I’ll admit that this book took me much longer than it should’ve for me to finish, but I believe it directly cor
Lana  (Bibliomedico)
" We don't see things as they are , We see them as we are "

I've always read fiction because I love the human mind . I'm fascinated with exploring the complexity , yet , the fragility of our emotions , thoughts and mentality .
Each of us navigate this life in a complete different way , we all have unique experiences , reactions and feelings .
Honestly , I'm obsessed with learning how each one of us think, and I can't achieve that except through reading fiction that reflect the experiences of
sol
Apr 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
a soft sweet mellow story about a trans boy finding someone who loves him at the right time and the right place for who he is.
The Candid Cover (Olivia & Lori)
Full Review on The Candid Cover

Something Like Gravity by Amber Smith is a contemporary novel all about first love. The characters are dynamic, and the topics are hard-hitting. This is a perfect novel for fans of Becky Albertalli to add to their summer TBRs.

This book tells the story of Chris, a transgender boy who falls in love for the first time, and Maia, a girl who has recently lost her sister. Both characters deal with hardship, and the story is ultimately about their self-discovery and journ
- ̗̀  jess  ̖́-
Unfortunately, Something Like Gravity wasn't for me. I'd picked up this book because of the trans rep, and not only did I find that the rep was potentially harmful, neither Chris nor Maia's stories were particularly captivating to me, and I was bored for most of the book.

The book is told in alternating perspectives from Chris and Maia, two teenagers living next to each other in a small town. Both Chris and Maia are dealing with two very life-changing events, which is what brings them together:
Sid Goel
Mar 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Truly one of the best books I’ve read in a while. I could not put it down. It reminded me of the strength and courage it takes one to truly discover themselves. This book demonstrated that everyone takes time to accept their truth. I highly recommend everyone to read it.
Sara (A Gingerly Review)
Here's the deal...

At the same time - I liked this but I did not like this. I cannot put my finger on why exactly but maybe it was because I couldn't connect to either character... or maybe I just felt sections of the story went on five miles longer than they should have... either way, I'm not upset I read this, I'm upset I didn't enjoy it more.
Aly
Jun 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley, 2019
I enjoyed this book, especially because it had a FtM transgender character. I feel like there aren't enough books with transgender main characters and the way this was written was great. The rocky relationship Chris had with his mom felt real, obviously not all parents accept their trans kids, but Chris's mom had the potential to come around.
Also the relationship between Maia and Chris was great, they both had secrets they were afraid to share. The alternating points of view helped give this mo
Emma
Aug 31, 2020 rated it liked it
3.25/5 Stars

Even though I appreciated this story, I still felt like something was missing in its narrative. Maia is struggling after the sudden death of her older sister Mallory, she doesn't know what to do and the only thing that seems to give her some kind of comfort is recreating the moments when her sisters took photographs around town, which was Mallory's biggest passion. Chris is a transgender boy who is overcoming trauma and dealing with a complicated relationship with his parents. That's
Dylan
May 31, 2019 rated it liked it
3 stars.

3 stars is NOT a bad rating for me. I think this book has a ton of merit to it, but it needed some more editing (too much details about things that don't really matter) and I didn't really feel like there was much of a plot?? and there was a plot point that made me feel a bit icky, but I'm probably just being picky.

I can't say for sure if the trans rep is good since I'm not trans, but I didn't see any glaring problems.

Trigger warnings for slight transphobia, death of a family member, ass
kayleigh
2 stars.

“If you’ve always been defined not as a full-fledged person but solely as another person’s polar opposite, and that person no longer exists, do you also cease to exist?”

Something Like Gravity follows Chris and Maia in alternating perspectives, who are two teenagers that live next to each other in a small town. They’re both dealing with their own issues—Chris has recently come out as transgender and Maia’s dealing with the loss of her sister and trying to find who she is without her. Fall
oliver
Jul 17, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: lgbtq, young-adult
2.5 stars. i wanted to like this so bad :( but there was hardly any plot, the main characters were problematic and unrealistic... and it totally didn't feel like a love story ...more
Kelsie Pates
Jan 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
For Maia, Summer means working at her crappy job, dealing with her divorced-but-still-live-together parents, and trying to reconnect with the memory of her older sister, Mallory, who passed away unexpectedly. But then Chris shows up, moves in next door, and makes her fall in love with him. Or at least, that's how it seems. Chris is staying with his aunt for the Summer because living in a small town for a few months is definitely easier than facing his parents who can't seem to fully accept the f ...more
Bookworm LLC
Jan 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cindy-bookshelf
I LOVE AMBER SMITH!

Something Like Gravity is a book about transgender and how it affects family as well as friendships, but especially the individual themselves.
I feel Ms. Smith caught the emotions well of what it's like for a transgender person to live in today's world. The bullying they go through and how they handle it whether it be taking things with a grain of salt because you are who you are or if it gets as bad as suicide.
People are who they are and should not be judged because they are
☼Shannon☼
Without the dead sister and being transgender, its a cute summer romance. With it though it becomes something extraordinary.

Told from both the POV's of Maia and Chris we get to see their romance blossom and hide their secrets. I loved getting in Chris's head, I don't really know all that much about being transgender. I also liked watching Maia take her sister's camera and try to see what she saw, in an effort to feel closer to her.
❄Elsa Frost❄
LGBT+ rep? Particularly representation of a transgender person who's the main character of this book?? I repeat: the main character?? I'm down! It's about time the wide diversity of the LGBTQ+ community (among all of our marginalized communities) is represented in literature, movies, etc. ...more
Sam
May 27, 2019 rated it did not like it
Original review removed due to reading ownvoice reviews and realizing that this book does have many things wrong with it. My initial review came from a place of ignorance and I apologize if that hurt anyone.
Chapters And Sparkles
Sep 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
✦ MY THOUGHTS ✦

Chris and Maia meet each other in quite unusual circumstances. Chris almost hits Maia with his car and 'it's not a big deal'. They don't care about each other, but they feel some sort of connection. Somehow they always come back to each other. Unfortunately, Maia and Chris don't understand each other because every single thing that Chris does, Maia reads it wrong. It's like they two speak entirely different languages.
I see them suffer. I really feel sorry for Maia and her loss -
Robin
May 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I received an arc of this from Simon and Schuster via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review

This book is wonderful and important and I drank up every word ❤❤❤

Summary
After a terrible year, and coming out as transgender Chris needs an escape. So he goes to stay with his aunt in a small town. His first day there, he almost runs over his new neighbor, Maia. Maia is battling her own demons after the recent and sudden death of her older sister. The two of them form and bond and slowly heal the wou
Lindsi (Do You Dog-ear?)
Jun 09, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc, netgalley
"If you've always been defined, not as a full-fledged person, but solely as another person's polar opposite, and that person no longer exists, do you also cease to exist?"

I received an ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. My thoughts and opinions are my own. Any quotes I use are from an unpublished copy and may not reflect the finished product.

I thought Something Like Gravity would have some scientific elements regarding space and the stars, but those references were few and far
Steff Fox
| Read on Reader Fox |

Something Like Gravity by Amber Smith is the kind of book that leaves me feeling like it really just wasn't meant for me. And as much as I wanted to love this book, largely due to one of its main characters being deeply interested in space--which I love--and character dynamics that I had been deeply looking forward to, I was massively bored through the majority of this novel. There were very few moments where I found myself perking up to read it and, after a while, fin
V ♡

reads For fans of Love, Simon and immediately adds to TBR

also, a trans main character

• Look Closer
  • The Edge of Falling
  • Stay Gold
  • Something Happened to Ali Greenleaf (Something Happened to Ali Greenleaf, #1)
  • The Great American Whatever
  • The Best Lies
  • Forward Me Back to You
  • Who Put This Song On?
  • The Dark Lord Clementine
Amber Smith is the New York Times bestselling author of young adult and middle novels, including The Way I Used to Be, The Last to Let Go, Something Like Gravity, and her forthcoming middle grade debut, Code Name: Serendipity. She has also contributed to the YA anthology, Our Stories, Our Voices, edited by Amy Reed. An advocate for mental health, gendered violence, and LGBTQ equality, Amber writes ...more

News & Interviews

The glint of fangs in the dark, the sound of tap-tap-tapping at your window, the howling of wind (or is it just wind?) in the trees...that's...