Start by marking “Something Like Gravity” as Want to Read:
Something Like Gravity

Something Like Gravity

For fans of Love, Simon and Eleanor and Park, a romantic and sweet novel about a transgender boy who falls in love for the first time—and how first love changes us all—from New York Times bestselling author Amber Smith.

Chris and Maia aren’t off to a great start.

A near-fatal car accident first brings them together, and their next encounters don’t fare much better. Chris’s g
Published June 18th 2019 by Margaret K. McElderry Books

Start your review of Something Like Gravity
Larry H
Jun 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
I'm between 4 and 4.5 stars.

"It's hard to figure out what you're supposed to be when you've never even really known who you were in the first place—that was something I'd realized only recently. Something I didn't think my friends would understand. After all, I looked the same and dressed the same and talked the same as I always had. But I wasn't the same."

Chris and Maia meet for the first time when he almost hits her with his car. Neither one is really paying attention, but both feel some sort
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
Whew. Okay. Let me start with two things:

1) I am genuinely so sorry to any of my trans friends who may have been hurt by my initial positive rating/remarks about this book. I was seeing things through an incredibly ignorant (and cis) lens. This is one of those instances that reminded me that, when it comes to books that are not own-voice, I should really be looking for own-voice reviews before I start recommending these titles to others.

2) Honestly, feel free to stop reading my review here and
Ivy Moore
Jul 04, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: came-soon-18-19
If this book sounds interesting to you, I highly recommend reading Tobly McSmith's Stay Gold! It has a similar set up to this novel but is written by a trans author, plus I thought it was a pretty good read!

Review:

As a person who knows a lot (though not everything) about transitioning, passing and dysphoria, I noted that there were a lot of things related to the character Chris that didn’t make much sense.

For example, it’s never clearly stated whether or not Chris has started hormones, so I atte
elena
Dec 03, 2018 marked it as to-read
amber smith writing about a trans boy falling in love for the first time???

please just throw this book at my face i need it
this book has been thrown at my face today and i can’t wait to start it
Tucker  (TuckerTheReader)

Many thanks to Simon & Schuster Children's Books for sending me a copy in exchange for an honest review

After reading some reviews (amazing ones, by the way, that you can check out here and here), I have decided that I won't be picking this one up.

As a cisgender guy, I don't have any experience of what it's like to be a transgender person. Because of that, I want to read books that accurately represent that community which is why I'm passing on this.

Thanks, Simon & Schuster for the ARC. I'm sorr
Danielle (Life of a Literary Nerd)
Amber Smith has such a mesmeorizing way with words - I'm immediately enraptured and invested. Something Like Gravity is a beautiful love story between two people who are healing after their own personal tragedies. I thought Chris and Maia had some of the best chemistry I've ever read in YA. I was so invested in their relationship and I just loved seeing them spend time together and grow closer. Even beyond the romance, seeing each of them grow as people past their fears was so inspiring. There w ...more
chan ☆
i got about 20% into this one before deciding to dnf. definitely not a bad book but i didn't connect with either of the main characters and i definitely don't care about their relationship.
Isaiah
Jun 06, 2019 rated it it was ok
To see more reviews check out MI Book Reviews.

I got an ARC of this book.

Lets start with the cover. It looks like a lesbian romance novel. Chris does not pass in this picture. Why do I point this out? Chris passes 100% f the time in the book without any questions by anyone. He temporarily moves to a new town and NO ONE ever says or does anything that implies that he doesn't pass as 100% male 100% of the time. One character asks if he is gay, but that is the closest it gets. I know many guys that
Adalee Gellar
Sep 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful, bittersweet young love story that examines the challenges of grief and otherness that face teens. This novel opens up human experiences and teaches compassion and understanding throughout its pages.

I was given the opportunity to read the final draft of this novel and I highly recommend it to all readers. The overall book follows thematic lines of kindness, understanding and self-exploration that are so vital to the young growing older and the older seeking to understand the younger.
Hillary
Sep 04, 2018 marked it as to-read
IT’S AMBER SMITH’S NEW BOOK. I WANT IT NOW.
ellie
Jan 07, 2019 marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2019-release
love, simon + amber smith = the way to my heart tbh
Nik
Jun 10, 2019 rated it it was ok
This review contains spoilers. I have formatted the review to hide them, however they might still show up for mobile users, so proceed with caution.

NOTE: I was going to wait for publication day to post this review because of spoilers, however I am pretty angry so I need to get this out.

Thank you NetGalley for providing me with a digital ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.

I’ll admit that this book took me much longer than it should’ve for me to finish, but I believe it directly cor
sol
Apr 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
a soft sweet mellow story about a trans boy finding someone who loves him at the right time and the right place for who he is.
The Candid Cover (Olivia & Lori)
Full Review on The Candid Cover

Something Like Gravity by Amber Smith is a contemporary novel all about first love. The characters are dynamic, and the topics are hard-hitting. This is a perfect novel for fans of Becky Albertalli to add to their summer TBRs.

This book tells the story of Chris, a transgender boy who falls in love for the first time, and Maia, a girl who has recently lost her sister. Both characters deal with hardship, and the story is ultimately about their self-discovery and journ
Sara (A Gingerly Review)
Here's the deal...

At the same time - I liked this but I did not like this. I cannot put my finger on why exactly but maybe it was because I couldn't connect to either character... or maybe I just felt sections of the story went on five miles longer than they should have... either way, I'm not upset I read this, I'm upset I didn't enjoy it more.
Sia Goel
Mar 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Truly one of the best books I’ve read in a while. I could not put it down. It reminded me of the strength and courage it takes one to truly discover themselves. This book demonstrated that everyone takes time to accept their truth. I highly recommend everyone to read it.
Aly
Jun 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019, netgalley
I enjoyed this book, especially because it had a FtM transgender character. I feel like there aren't enough books with transgender main characters and the way this was written was great. The rocky relationship Chris had with his mom felt real, obviously not all parents accept their trans kids, but Chris's mom had the potential to come around.
Also the relationship between Maia and Chris was great, they both had secrets they were afraid to share. The alternating points of view helped give this mo
- ̗̀  jess  ̖́-
Unfortunately, Something Like Gravity wasn't for me. I'd picked up this book because of the trans rep, and not only did I find that the rep was potentially harmful, neither Chris nor Maia's stories were particularly captivating to me, and I was bored for most of the book.

The book is told in alternating perspectives from Chris and Maia, two teenagers living next to each other in a small town. Both Chris and Maia are dealing with two very life-changing events, which is what brings them together:
Genevieve
Dec 09, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance, lgbtq
I really liked this book, I've liked all the books that I've read by amber smith. I was looking through the comments and saw very different opinions on this book. It may be true that Amber Smith is not transgender but that's not the point. What she's trying to do is bring more awareness to the LGBTQ+ community. And I can't say I am gay or transgender so I definitely would not be able to recognize mistakes or flaws about Chris transgender(ness?), but I do agree with people who are saying that som ...more
Emma
Aug 31, 2020 rated it liked it
3.25/5 Stars

Even though I appreciated this story, I still felt like something was missing in its narrative. Maia is struggling after the sudden death of her older sister Mallory, she doesn't know what to do and the only thing that seems to give her some kind of comfort is recreating the moments when her sisters took photographs around town, which was Mallory's biggest passion. Chris is a transgender boy who is overcoming trauma and dealing with a complicated relationship with his parents. That's
Dylan
May 31, 2019 rated it liked it
3 stars.

3 stars is NOT a bad rating for me. I think this book has a ton of merit to it, but it needed some more editing (too much details about things that don't really matter) and I didn't really feel like there was much of a plot?? and there was a plot point that made me feel a bit icky, but I'm probably just being picky.

I can't say for sure if the trans rep is good since I'm not trans, but I didn't see any glaring problems.

Trigger warnings for slight transphobia, death of a family member, ass
Kayleigh
2 stars.

“If you’ve always been defined not as a full-fledged person but solely as another person’s polar opposite, and that person no longer exists, do you also cease to exist?”

Something Like Gravity follows Chris and Maia in alternating perspectives, who are two teenagers that live next to each other in a small town. They’re both dealing with their own issues—Chris has recently come out as transgender and Maia’s dealing with the loss of her sister and trying to find who she is without her. Fall
oliver
Jul 17, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult, lgbtq
2.5 stars. i wanted to like this so bad :( but there was hardly any plot, the main characters were problematic and unrealistic... and it totally didn't feel like a love story
Kelsie Pates
Jan 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
For Maia, Summer means working at her crappy job, dealing with her divorced-but-still-live-together parents, and trying to reconnect with the memory of her older sister, Mallory, who passed away unexpectedly. But then Chris shows up, moves in next door, and makes her fall in love with him. Or at least, that's how it seems. Chris is staying with his aunt for the Summer because living in a small town for a few months is definitely easier than facing his parents who can't seem to fully accept the f ...more
☼Shannon☼
Without the dead sister and being transgender, its a cute summer romance. With it though it becomes something extraordinary.

Told from both the POV's of Maia and Chris we get to see their romance blossom and hide their secrets. I loved getting in Chris's head, I don't really know all that much about being transgender. I also liked watching Maia take her sister's camera and try to see what she saw, in an effort to feel closer to her.
❄Elsa Frost❄
LGBT+ rep? Particularly representation of a transgender person who's the main character of this book?? I repeat: the main character?? I'm down! It's about time the wide diversity of the LGBTQ+ community (among all of our marginalized communities) is represented in literature, movies, etc.
Sam
May 27, 2019 rated it did not like it
Original review removed due to reading ownvoice reviews and realizing that this book does have many things wrong with it. My initial review came from a place of ignorance and I apologize if that hurt anyone.
Lindsi (Do You Dog-ear?)
Jun 09, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley, arc
"If you've always been defined, not as a full-fledged person, but solely as another person's polar opposite, and that person no longer exists, do you also cease to exist?"

I received an ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. My thoughts and opinions are my own. Any quotes I use are from an unpublished copy and may not reflect the finished product.

I thought Something Like Gravity would have some scientific elements regarding space and the stars, but those references were few and far
Cindy
There is so much going on in here. A bit too much! Death, grief, parents who can't parent, lying, actual trauma. Do we have to have YA novels filled with so much conflict that it leaves you dizzy trying to figure out who the protagonist is. I think that's part of the problem. I felt like I was being forced to want to root for Maia. So many hints were dropped about "who she used to be" but we never get to see which that was. I ended up feeling like she was living a life and had this poor me attit ...more
Te De

• How It Feels to Float
  • Hot Dog Girl
  • Let's Call It a Doomsday
  • We Are Lost and Found
Amber Smith is the New York Times bestselling author of the young adult novels The Way I Used to Be, The Last to Let Go, and Something Like Gravity. An advocate for increased awareness of gendered violence, as well as LGBTQ equality, she writes in the hope that her books can help to foster change and spark dialogue surrounding these issues. She grew up in Buffalo, New York, and now lives in Charlo ...more