Start by marking “We Hunt the Flame (We Hunt the Flame #1)” as Want to Read:
We Hunt the Flame (We Hunt the Flame #1)

We Hunt the Flame

(Sands of Arawiya #1)

People lived because she killed.
People died because he lived.

Zafira is the Hunter, disguising herself as a man when she braves the cursed forest of the Arz to feed her people. Nasir is the Prince of Death, assassinating those foolish enough to defy his autocratic father, the king. If Zafira was exposed as a girl, all of her achievements would be rejected; if Nasir displaye
Published May 14th 2019 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (BYR)

To ask other readers questions about We Hunt the Flame, please sign up.
Hafsah Faizal It does not! The characters live in a fantasy world inspired by ancient Arabia. In the real world, the region has far more religions than Islam alone.…moreIt does not! The characters live in a fantasy world inspired by ancient Arabia. In the real world, the region has far more religions than Islam alone.

That said:
1) I didn't feel comfortable mixing Islam with fantasy/something so unreal.
2) I didn't want my identity to be paired with my debut.
3) WE HUNT THE FLAME is further proof that Arab =/= Muslim and vice versa.(less)

شيماء ✨
Full review now posted HERE on my blog

There are some things you just never really get over. Like your first broken heart. Or when Netflix canceled ODAAT. Or when one of your most anticipated releases of 2019 doesn't live up to your expectations.
Hafsah Faizal
Oct 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
UPDATE: if you're in need of a glossary and pronunciation guide, look no further!
_______

The first ever "review" for my book. The story of my heart. The characters who tormented me for four years until their plight reached the written page. I can't wait to share this story of a girl, a prince, a general, elves, and a world worth fighting for.

Thank you to every soul who adds this, reads this, and cherishes this. ♥
Kerri
Oct 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i had an opportunity to read this early and i'm pretty jealous of myself :) this book is INCREDIBLE and i'm pretty sure i've found my book husband.

official blurb:

Hafsah Faizal’s voice is not one that simply speaks, but sings across the page. WE HUNT THE FLAME is a spellbinding tale filled with deception, political intrigue, and atmosphere that lives and breathes—I am obsessed with this story.
may ❀
Nov 10, 2017 marked it as gimmie  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: asian-authors
i mean, i can't be sure, but i think this book is going to single-handedly save 2019

just putting it out there
Lola
After finishing a fast-paced, action-packed YA Fantasy book (Wicked Saints), it was hard getting into a slow-paced, thought-driven story. I was going to say ‘‘character-driven’’ because there’s a lot of saying hello and goodbye to different people, but the protagonists are not particularly three-dimensional and it’s a very descriptive novel.

I don’t mind description as a general rule because it helps set the scene and helps us understand why certain characters are behaving in unexpected ways. I d
Hamad
This review and other non-spoilery reviews can be found @The Book Prescription

“ People lived because she killed.
People died because he lived.”

Disclaimer: ARCs provided by the publisher through Edelweiss in exchange of an honest review!

🌟 I have been waiting patiently for this book since it was in the writing stages and was recommended to me! I mean a fantasy with Arabian Settinng written by a Muslim Author? I couldn’t ask for more!

🌟 Now the book had a solid start, the first two chapters have
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
May Owlcrate Box! Click on the link below my picture to see all of the goodies!

THE GOODIES
Aneeqah
May 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Buckle up, because it's story time.

I first joined the online community as a YA book blogger. I remember absolutely loving the bookish people I met, both via blogs on Twitter, but also feeling isolated. Because there was no one like me in the community.

Until I stumbled onto a little blog called Icey Books, run by Hafsah Faizal.

I watched Hafsah grow her blog into one of the most popular sites, start a kickass design business, and create the most beautiful of author websites. She's always been s
Roshani Chokshi
I had the opportunity to read this debut as an advanced reader copy, and enjoyed it so much I gave it a blurb! Here's my official take: “A sparkling debut, full of mystery and magic, vivid characters and rich language.” Also, I cannot express how happy it makes me to see so much fabulous representation for women of color. I wish I had this when I was younger!
Melanie
Jessica Khoury
Oct 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was so fortunate to read this early! Richly imagined, intricately woven, cinematically told. It’s Hunger Games meets An Ember in the Ashes.

My official blurb:

“Fresh, bold storytelling populated with vibrant characters marks Hafsah Faizal as an explosive new voice in fantasy. Charged with adrenaline and romance, WE HUNT THE FLAME held me enthralled and desperate for more!”
Azraa F
Feb 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, favorites
Nasir Ghameq entering your life:

description

DISCLAIMER: THE PRINCE OF DEATH IS MINE AND I WILL FIGHT ANYONE WHO TRIES TO CLAIM HIM

Book: I'm a cross-dressing fantasy epic with stolen artifacts and Middle Eastern influences

Me: Cool, that sounds amazing.

Book: Also, there's going to be an enemies to lovers romance where the prince is probably going to try to kill her at some point.

Me: SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MOTHERFUCKING MONEY
April (Aprilius Maximus)
3.5 stars!

Thank you so much to the publisher for sending me a review copy!

Okay, here's the thing.
The first bit and the last bit of the book = LIT
The 300 pages in the middle = LIT...ERALLY NOTHING HAPPENS

Things I loved:
- the writing is GORGEOUS. Faizal has an actual gift, it's so beautiful.
- the feminist undertones. It's clear that the main character lives in a world where women are oppressed and is fighting to change it.
- ENEMIES TO LOVERS!!! (literally enemies - he's a murderer/assassin who
Asma
I LOVE THIS BOOK. ALL THE CHARACTERS ARE PRECIOUS CINNAMON BUNS AND I SHALL WAIT UNTIL AN OFFICIAL SYNOPSIS IS REVEALED BEFORE I SAY MORE. It's basically like Assassin's Creed meets Lord of the Rings meets the Hunger Games in an alt-Arabia.
Noura Khalid (theperksofbeingnoura)
Your girl got an ARC! 😍
Clemlucian (🏳️‍🌈the brooding villain)
If it’s not as good as everyone says, imma flip a table and that’s a threat.
Vicky Who Reads
Jan 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
it was shaky at the start, but I really got invested later on! ahhh
Jeann (Happy Indulgence)

This book was a mindblowing experience. It was everything I wanted out of a story inspired by Arabian Nights and also the characters are so broody and I wanted more of them?

Some thoughts on the book:
- Altair is my favourite, in all of his flirtatious, confident glory. In fact he was the shining light in this whole book.
- It's so quotable and filled with beautifully written descriptions.
- Loved the magic and the desert setting, with all the ifrits, magi, Tale of the Six Sisters, Sultan
Nastassja
Mar 02, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of rich Arabic ya fantasy
Love is for children, said the girl. Death is for fools, said the shadow. Darkness is my destiny, said the boy. Allegiance is my undoing, said the eagle. Suffering is our fate, said the beauty. And they were all horribly wrong.

A story that promises richness of Ancient Arawiya, tortured assassin princes, and brave maidens who will definitely save the day: sign me in! I was so very excited to read We Hunt the Flame, especially because it was written by a Muslim author writing about Arabian cultu
mahana
full review now on my blog!

"He paused and met her eyes. If a poet were to describe them, he would say to look into her eyes was to see the sea's first glimpse of the endless ripples. Or something like that. Nasir was no poet."

Zafira is the infamous Hunter of Arz, disguising as a man and venturing into the cursed forest to feed her people. Women in her caliphate are not respected and married off to men if they exhibit signs of autonomy. Therefore, the caliph discovering she’s a woman would dimi
Heather
Feb 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I got an early peek at WE HUNT THE FLAME and oh what a gift it was! Hafsah Faizal wrote a dark, beautiful story that made me FEEL. The language slipped around me like threads weaving magic, some lines so full of emotion I read them again.

And again.

Zafira and Nasir were more than characters on a page—they were flesh and blood, full of darkness and hope. Their inner struggles were as much a journey as their trek into a strange, shadowed land. And although the kingdoms may have lost all magic, it l
Navessa

DNF @ 30%.

So sad that this didn't work for me. Full RTC closer to release date.
Sheharzad ⚘
Nov 10, 2017 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya-fantasy
i'm so ready to devour this gimmegimmegimme
Alexa
Apr 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2019
I thoroughly enjoyed this debut novel! The details, the zumra, the story — all of it came together in an extremely delightful way, and I definitely need book two.
Joan He
Feb 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Okay so I'm the first to admit that I generally do not read books with quests because I'm simply not the target reader BUT.

I am a sucker for PAIN and that's where Hafsah sucked me in. WE HUNT THE FLAME excels at portraying what it means to be unloved, to be forsaken, to have nothing but your own individual grit to rely on. The setting, the emotions, the words simply breathed what it means to have had once and then lost. From there, the book steadily builds and draws you into the pain of HOPING,
Rachel Strolle
YALL ARE NOT PREPARED
Cindy ✩☽ Savage Queen ♔
2/13/19
I keep looking at this cover and I think I liked the old one more.
---
Re-reading the synopsis has me wanting this more and more
---
The cover is somewhat reminiscent of Aladdin to me, so I like it!
5/25/18
Finally, it has a release date =D
---
...set in a richly re-imagined ancient Arabia...
julianna ➹
buddy read with fadwa <333 and unfortunately not melanie :((
Kiki
Nov 10, 2017 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
IT'S

HAFSAH

FAIZAL

description

• Nocturna (A Forgery of Magic, #1)
  • The Candle and the Flame
  • A River of Royal Blood (A River of Royal Blood, #1)
  • Nameless Queen
  • The Tiger at Midnight (The Tiger at Midnight Trilogy, #1)
  • The Midnight Lie
  • Spin the Dawn (The Blood of Stars, #1)
  • The Merciful Crow (The Merciful Crow, #1)
  • Serpent & Dove (Serpent & Dove, #1)
  • The Never Tilting World (The Never Tilting World, #1)
  • The Beholder
  • Incendiary
  • Gravemaidens (Gravemaidens, #1)
  • The Half King (Untitled #1)
  • A Court of Miracles (A Court of Miracles, #1)
  • Guardians of Dawn (Guardians of Dawn, #1)
  • Kingdom of Back
  • Dark Shores (Dark Shores, #1)
Hafsah Faizal is an American Muslim and brand designer. She’s the founder of IceyDesigns, where she creates websites for authors and beauteous goodies for everyone else. When she’s not writing, she can be found dreaming up her next design, deciding between Assassin’s Creed and Skyrim, or traversing the world. Born in Florida and raised in California, she now resides in Texas with her family and a ...more

Sands of Arawiya (2 books)
  • Untitled (Sands of Arawiya, #2)
“We hunt the flame, the light in the darkness, the good this world deserves.” 87 likes
“Heart of my heart. Moon of my soul.” 62 likes