Start by marking “Reciprocity” as Want to Read:
Reciprocity

Reciprocity

All Kaeri Hawen wants is a peaceful life in the Lower Terrace. No more collecting debts. No more breaking kneecaps.

But then the Boss’s loose cannon of a son massacres a dozen rival gangsters with a single pull of the trigger. Kaeri’s quiet retirement is off the menu—for now.

Kaeri knows she’ll get no rest if this looming gang war erupts into the streets. If she wants out of
Published December 1st 2018 by Galaxy Brain Press

To ask other readers questions about Reciprocity, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Reciprocity

Start your review of Reciprocity
charlotte, (½ of readsrainbow)
it was a good, fast-paced steampunk/sci-fi gangster thriller, but not rly for me

Three Reasons to Read this Book

Review copy kindly provided by Sean M. Locke

Rep: lesbian mc & li, gay side characters

CWs: gore, violence
Annie Singer
Feb 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Ready for the sequel already!

This story is filled with action and adventure, set in a dark and creepy world. It is intense with explosions and limbs being chopped off, but the writing carries a light tone in a lot of places and it's actually funny too.

It is full of gay/queer characters but the focus of the story is not on the gayness or queerness of the characters. They just are who they are, doing what they do: killing people, chopping off hands, throwing grenades, and falling in love.
XR
Jun 17, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019
B.R. Sanders
Dec 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
****I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.****

RECIPROCITY, by Sean Locke, is the sort of genre-mashup I didn't know I wanted until I read it. To call it noir is to ignore that it's also low fantasy--maybe science fantasy? There's definitely some super weird science driving the gravity-defying airship sequences happening here. But to focus on that sidesteps that Locke really nails the lingo of hardboiled detective fiction in a really, really delightful way. What's m
vicky.
Jan 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars.

at first it took me a couple of pages to understand the world building and the actual plot, but after that the book became immensely better.
there is a big cast and the plot complex, but I enjoyed it a lot, there are a lot of action scenes!

the book is basically a sci-fi ganster noir tale with a queer lead, what more do you need?
Shannon Rohrer
Mar 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This was an excellent read!

I adore gangster stories. I love the grittiness, the sharp tongues, the atmosphere, the whole shebang. Reciprocity delivered on all of these things, and it did it with flair. I guess this story falls into dieselpunk, which I admittedly have limited experience with--all I know is I adored the old-school feel (sharp suits, fedoras, saucy gowns, and firearms) being blended with next-level tech, swords, and an interesting world filled with intriguing characters.

The narrati
Douglas Williamson
Dec 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
To prevent a gang war (and associated bad stuff), our two heroines from opposite sides of the airship must betray their families and put their trust in each other.

This story is a fascinating blend of genres, including some SF, some fantasy, and a healthy does of detective noir. We have gangsters, fantasy/alien races, and a far off planet with super science devices. All of it mixes together in a fast paced story which grabbed my attention and kept me flipping pages long after I should have been a
J
Jan 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good setting, good characters, good story, good drama. I particularly enjoyed how the story balances the attraction between the main pairing at both a physical and emotional level.
Our MC also does some truly terrible things in order to achieve her goals, despite her otherwise very upright nature. I'm looking forward to seeing how she handles that as a person and how it impacts her relationships with other characters.

This thing is way too high quality to be on Kindle Unlimited. I'd recommend anyo
Tanya
Dec 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
All she wanted to have now but life is not so easy. A man has stolen a gun which can kill many with one shot. She now to get the weapon and the man before it can happen again. Their sister and their weapon has been stolen and they want them both back. Can they worked together for the same goal? What will happen between them? See how they get on

Sophia Moskalenko
Dec 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a gripping thriller amidst a masterfully crafted world. The battle scenes are fantastic, and the relationship between the leading lady Kaeri, a rugged mobster wanting to get out, and Maria, a noble out of her element, is compelling. Moral dilemmas, conflicting loyalties, shrewd detectives with conflicts of interest and gangsters with a heart of gold will have you glued to the page.
Aurélie Brgn
Feb 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Good debut novel

I think this author has potential. The writing wasn't perfect (is it ever?), but I really liked the story and the characters. I hope to see where thos goes in the future. Go ahead, enjoy your reading ;)
S.M.
Dec 07, 2018 rated it liked it
A solid debut. The first third feels pretty rushed, but after that it slows down and I could really enjoy the story.

ETA: forgot to mention, I received a free copy from the author in return for an honest review.
Scarolet Ellis
Dec 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Reciprocity by Sean M. Locke is a wonderful story to read. This is a wonderful story that I fell in love with it has wnderful characters and a wonderful story line, that I highly recommend to all.

Sathepine Marco
Mar 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An excellent sci-fi noir mobster story with a lesbian lead.

I am not that much into mafia stories and I was not able to relate to everything here, but boy, oh, boy, is this a solid piece! The writing is slick and clever, the world-building is captivating, and the characters are cool and complex. I would definitely love to follow Kaeri and Maria in another adventure, perhaps in a sequel? ;)
Annaliese Dempsey
Jul 29, 2020
Courtney Mayfield
Mar 31, 2021

• The Pull of the Stars
  • Axiom's End (Noumena, #1)
  • The Space Between Worlds
  • Upright Women Wanted
  • Carmilla and Laura
  • The Stories You Tell (Roxane Weary, #3)
  • Once You Go This Far (Roxane Weary, #4)
  • Gideon the Ninth (The Locked Tomb, #1)
  • Backcast
  • Machina
  • Automatic Reload
  • Dragoncaller (Stardrifters Book 1)
  • Black Sun (Between Earth and Sky, #1)
  • The Abyss Surrounds Us (The Abyss Surrounds Us, #1)
  • Goldilocks
  • A Song for a New Day
  • The Impossible Contract (The Chronicles of Ghadid #2)
  • Galileo (Evan Reed Mysteries, #2)
Why hello! I see you’ve stumbled on my Goodreads page. If you’re here, then you’d like to know at least a little about me, so here are a few words:

I love good stories. Frequently I read something that’s very good, but some small part of my brain says, “Oh, why aren’t there stories that do this, or a story with that kind of character.” Like most writers, I listened to that little part of my brain a