Jump to ratings and reviews

Teal Paisley Tights

Life post-graduation was supposed to see the launch of Jadyn’s art career, or at least an art gallery showing one of her watercolor paintings. Instead, this Pittsburgh native is locked into a low-paying consultant position with an impossible boss. When another coworker is fired, Jadyn inherits an extra workload, including the company’s biggest client. If she loses him, she’s fired.

Evicted from her apartment because of a small spending problem, she is forced to move in with her know-it-all sister. While everyone else plans a neat, buttoned-up life for her, Jadyn longs to paint professionally. Stretched like canvas between responsibility and dreams, she must choose.

Will practicality always win?

Paperback

Published November 15, 2018

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Barbara Brutt

5 books34 followers
Hiya, I’m Barbara!

I believe words heal. Whether written or read, words have a way of building a bridge from the heart to the mind. I want to explore that.

I’m a 30-something hope-in-progress bent on growing despite the gritty, pot-holed road of adulthood. Jump in the passenger seat and I’ll try to be a good driver!

My work experience includes a smattering of jobs from shop girl to communications manager with a healthy dose of nanny and house-cleaner. Basically, I’m your Jane of all trades.

I’ve lived in three countries (USA, Dominican Republic, and Austria), and I’ve visited 27 more countries on top of that. My goal is to visit the world. Shhh! A girl can dream!

My most cherished dream (besides traveling the world) is to become a published novelist (which happened on November 15, 2018, when Teal Paisley Tights released).

I rarely turn away ice cream (peanut butter please) and only buy purses that provide room for a book or two (or a kindle).

I’d love to connect on LinkedIn, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, or Facebook.

Cordially (and with so much love),

Barbara

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
0 (0%)
1 star
0 (0%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 47 reviews
Profile Image for Sarah Monzon.
Author 22 books407 followers
September 16, 2018
3.5 stars but rounding up since GR doesn’t offer half stars.

I found the character voice sweet and charming, if a little scattered (she’s a very disorganized person so it fits her). I chuckled in some points, as a good romcom will have you do and kind of wanted to go out and buy myself a pair of teal paisley tights because, c’mon, don’t they sound adorable? But as I read, my brow crinkled. We follow the character through her overworked and hectic day but...what was the point? I was searching for the main goal and motivation.
Reminiscent of days when chick lit was wildly popular, Teal Paisley Tights is sweet, light, and mildly funny. A nice read when you want to feel like you aren’t the only one with life falling all around her shoulders.
Profile Image for Fiction Aficionado.
658 reviews82 followers
December 17, 2018
~ 3.5 stars ~

This novel ticks a lot of chick-lit boxes. Somewhat quirky female protagonist: check. Career-oriented, but trying to find a better balance in life: check. Personable and engaging voice: check. I could even relate to Jadyn on several levels. Once upon a time I had trouble saying no too. I frequently overestimated just how much could be achieved in 24-hour days, and I wanted to be the person everyone needed me to be—which turned out to be a lot of people! And I didn’t even have any teal paisley tights to help me!

For me, though, there were some weaknesses that held this story back from being all it could have been. While I generally enjoyed the author’s (character’s) voice, it didn’t have the sass and humour that really energises chick-lit. And while I don’t mind the romantic thread taking a smaller role in the story, this one didn’t convince me. The impression I formed of the romantic interest from his actions in the early stages of the story didn’t mesh with who he was in the rest of the story, and I only really got snapshots of their developing relationship, which made it seem more casual than it apparently was.

There was also a lot going on in this story. Given Jadyn’s circumstances, that’s not really surprising. In fact, it’s kind of the point. She’s overworked and underpaid, living beyond her means, trying to make time for her passion (art), and trying to iron out the kinks in several different relationships in her life, from romantic to familial. That’s a lot to try and balance—in real life and as an author creating a story. In this case, I think certain aspects of the plot needed to be tightened or trimmed down to make a more cohesive story.

All that being said, it was an enjoyable read, and I liked the way the story concluded. It was an excellent way to demonstrate not only the way in which Jadyn had grown as a person across the story but also that it was her most significant achievement, even as she had been striving for so many other measures of success.
Profile Image for Toni Shiloh.
Author 53 books1,058 followers
November 15, 2018
Barbara Brutt's debut novel has chick lit aspects I love. Jadyn has a fun personality complete with her lucky paisley tights. There's hints of romance and she has a quirky humor. Unfortunately, life takes a downward turn for Jadyn and not even her tights can save her. She has a lot to deal with and at times, it becomes a bit much for a reader to follow--but realistic for how life truly treats us.

*I received an ARC from the publisher. My review was not required nor influenced.
**I'd give this 3.5 stars but rounding up for Goodreads rating system.
Profile Image for Beth | Faithfully Bookish .
838 reviews175 followers
November 15, 2018
Full review on FaithfullyBookish.com

Jadyn is a compassionate, creative, and hard-working young woman. She’s also a hot mess. Although my most artistic talent is tracing, I’m always fascinated by the talents and personalities of artistic characters like Jadyn. The plot is fresh and unpredictable with a uniquely satisfying conclusion.

Teal Paisley Tights is an entertaining rom-com with young adult flair and women’s fiction depth. I love the way this story tackles some of the greatest lessons we learn, especially as young adults: how to find and embrace our purpose, our worth, and our gifts. I’m definitely looking forward to more paisley, coffee, and retail therapy from Barbara Brutt!

I received a complimentary copy of this book from the publisher and was under no obligation to post a review. The opinions expressed are my own.
Profile Image for Carla.
5,715 reviews121 followers
January 10, 2019
Barbara Brutt's debut novel is a combination of genres. We have Christian Fiction, Chick-Lit mixed with a bit of romantic comedy and family drama. Jadyn is a compassionate, creative, and hard-working young Christian woman. She’s also a hot mess. Not being able to say no to anyone, it leaves her little time to do the thing she loves the most, work on her art. She is overworked, underpaid and a huge people pleaser. She wants to make her mother and her sister proud of her, yet she really does not like the direction her job is taking her and now, being evicted leaves her another batch of problems to deal with. Throw in two guys, one she grew up with and one she works with, who both seem to have their eyes on her and she has more on her plate than any normal human being can deal with. What will she decide to do with her life? Will she listen to the messages that God is trying to send her about her future path?

I loved the character's voice in this novel. I could almost hear her talking to me, although, if she had been conversing with me, I would have had a lot of words of advise. Her sister and mother were great supporting characters in that they loved and supported her, but didn't push her to think about her decisions. The two male characters were difficult to like. They were both like Jekyll and Hyde in various parts of the story. I like the way Ethan treated her respectfully, but there was something a bit false about his character and don't get me started about Travis. Having said all that, I will say it was a satisfying story, but there was not much to the story. I did like the ending and the fact that Jadyn finally listened to her heart to decide what to do with her life, but as I finished the book, I just thought okay, that was nice. I was provided a complimentary copy of this book by Just Read. The rating, ideas and opinions expressed are my own.
Profile Image for Elizabeth "Eli" Olmedo.
346 reviews32 followers
February 5, 2019
Teal Paisley Tights offers a story for anyone who has ever wondered where they fit. Barbara Brutt brings a fun, fresh voice to the fiction table ensuring a quick, quirky read. It amazed me how fast the pages zoomed by, which, with a busy schedule of my own, is the kind of book I need.

I did struggle to connect with the heroine who came across as immature, selfish, and often acted as though the people around her owed her. Jadyn also continually lied to get what she wanted. The friction between her and others, namely her sister, mother, best friend, and love interest, were as much Jadyn’s doing as theirs, if not more. It made it hard to sympathize when things crashed around her.

Also, I would have liked more depth in the romance department. The story picks up with Jadyn and Ethan starting to date, but I never witnessed what drew them to each other aside from a pretty face. For the most part their relationship seemed casual and superficial, but some moments seemed to allude to something deeper, which leaves the reader never quite sure where the pair stands.

The story would have also benefited from a clear theme or purpose. As is, it reads like Jadyn’s journal filled with the random events from her day-to-day life. It needed a thread to tie everything together.

Nonetheless, I liked the story and now want to go out and buy my own pair of paisley tights. Brutt has a voice and style to be on the lookout for as she hones her craft and grows as a writer. I’ll definitely keep my eyes open for more by this author.
Profile Image for Suzie Waltner.
Author 7 books107 followers
January 3, 2019
Debut authors are a bit of a gamble (but more often than not, a delight to find). Add to that a somewhat dying genre, chick lit, and the odds stack up against a book. But Teal Paisley tights rises above the tentative strikes against it and hits a solid triple.

Jadyn is a scattered young woman trying to find a balance between the job that pays the bills and what she loves to do. When things go wrong, they really go off the rails. Between her demanding job, a budding romance, her family, and her art, Jadyn can’t keep all the balls she’s juggling in the air.

In fact, there’s so much going on that some things get a little lost in the shuffle. The romance aspect takes a backseat and feels like a sudden huge shift just happens with no build up, but it didn’t deter from the overall story too much.

Barbara Brutt’s character is a living-beyond-her-means people-pleaser who is both relatable and likable. Teal Paisley Tights gives readers a taste of Pittsburgh seasoned with the art scene as Jadyn discovers what things in life are worth fighting for and which are okay to let go of.

Disclosure statement:
I receive complimentary books from publishers, publicists, and/or authors, including NetGalley. I am not required to write positive reviews. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255.
Profile Image for Sydney.
944 reviews106 followers
January 16, 2019
Barbara Brutt’s debut novel, Teal Paisley Tights, is a charming and funny story that readers will delight in. Although it takes a little bit to get into and the writing is a bit scattered, this fits the main character’s personality so readers will quickly overcome this pitfall. A fabulous chick lit and romcom style story, from page one readers will be giggling. This story follows Jadyn’s life as she strives to come to know herself as she works hard and develops her creativity. There is also a strong focus on family and family drama within the story. Brutt’s debut is one that readers will thoroughly enjoy!

Genre: contemporary, romance, women’s fiction, chick lit, romcom
Publisher: Vinspire Publishing
Publication date: November 15, 2018
Number of pages: 230

An ARC print review copy of this book was provided via JustRead Publicity Tours, as well as an e-copy purchased on Amazon for review. A review was not required and all views and opinions expressed are my own.
Profile Image for Jill Hart.
Author 13 books92 followers
January 24, 2019
This was a sweet, fun read. It took me a while to get into the book and connect with the characters, but once I did, I found myself really enjoying the story. Jadyn is a little scattered (which reminds me maybe a little too much of myself - lol) and the story focuses on her growth as a person as she learns to break free of living bogged down by the expectations of others and her former people-pleasing ways.
Profile Image for Deidre.
19 reviews
January 3, 2019
Loved it! This book had me giggling and groaning by page three. Jadyn is quirky and relatable as she struggles to make tough choices about her art, her work, and her relationships. Like most of us, Jadyn makes a few mistakes on her way to figuring out what she wants to do, and, more importantly, who she wants to be. Brutt beautifully weaves this narrative with laugh-out-loud humor, real characters, and the fear/hope combo that keeps you rooting for Jadyn ‘til the end. If you’re in your twenties, read this. If you’re not, read it anyway. What a debut; I can hardly wait to see what Brutt has in store for us next!
Profile Image for Emily.
40 reviews
October 8, 2018
(I received an advanced copy of this book. Review and opinions are my own.)
Based on the genre alone I probably wouldn’t have picked up this book - I am not a big “chick lit” reader (except for the occasional young adult book). That being said, I’m really glad I got the chance to read it. Being a Pittsburgh native myself, I loved the references to local spots and found myself wanting to plan a visit. I also enjoyed the relationship between Jadyn and her sister - especially as it evolved over the course of the book.
I did feel like there was just a little too much going on at times. I think a large part of the book was about Jadyn “finding herself”, so I get that she needed to work through several issues, but it was a bit hard to keep up with everything. Jadyn really frustrated me at times, but not because of the way she was written - I just like my life to be (somewhat) orderly and hers was far from it! I think, like Mel, I would have wanted to give her lots of unsolicited advice if we were friends.
Overall, this was a fun, quick read that someone who enjoys Christian chick lit (or, like me, did in the past but hasn’t picked up in a while) would likely enjoy.
**Updated - after finishing this a few weeks ago, I really want to know how Jayden is doing. So, if the author releases a sequel I will definitely be reading it!
Profile Image for Fizzy.
330 reviews1 follower
January 2, 2019
Debut author? Check. Intriguing synopsis? Check. Throwing caution to the wind? Check. Sometimes, when you are checking out a new author you have to throw caution to the wind. One thing that brings me to that point is an intriguing synopsis, I mean come on I’m not a cover person. Sell me with words because pictures can never begin to tell me about the writing. Just sayin’ and no disrespect for all the cover people. We all gotta a thing. Barbara Brutt truly sold me with her words, not only in the synopsis but also in the book. You really get it all in this book, a touch of romance, a lot of real life that crumbles around you as it builds itself up, and a refreshing dose of gold ole fashion chick lit with a Christian theme. In the middle of my imploding romance burn out this book was exactly what I needed to sink myself into.

Now, don’t get me wrong as it’s not perfect, I have to do the pickin’ thing a moment. The transitions between scenes were abrupt and didn’t necessarily give a good communication of time jumps. I struggled with maintaining if we were the same day to a week later as it wasn’t super clear and again, just abrupt. I also struggled a little with Jadyn. Here’s the gal who has all the cards crashing down around her. All. Of. Them. Here list of commitments is huge as well. I’m struggling through the abruptness and never quite get a handle on her. There was a lack of depth between her list of things that had to be done and how she actually accomplished anything. I got told a lot of things but in her falling house of cards I didn’t get shown a whole lot. I almost feel like this chick has a super power or something. Did I miss the cape? Everybody was just a tad too type-cast and a little light on depth. However. . .

Like I mentioned above I’m imploding on romance overload. I needed something to shake it up and freshen my reading list. This book totally did the trick for me. Let’s face it, sometimes you just need a breezy fresh bundle of words to carry you through. Sometimes you need to step back from the overthinking and just go with the flow. I mean come on, we have a girl who talks like me – or at least close enough – hello pickled cucumbers! That’s close enough to grits and gravy or for the love of tomatoes right? We have eccentric characters who do exactly what they are expected to do. We have a little found love, a little broken-heartedness, and a little jerkwad toadnugget. We have central theme, that is not overbearing, of faith. And we have a whole lot of throw caution to the wind. I think for a debut novel Brutt brings so very much to the table. I am excited to see where her career takes her and I strongly urge everyone to throw some caution to the wind and nab this book. Read it for the breezy don’t-over-think-it book that it is and you absolutely will not be disappointed.

I was provided a complimentary copy of this book by Just Read. I was not compensated for this review and all thoughts and opinions expressed are my own. I was not required to write a positive review.
119 reviews
July 14, 2021
I thought the story was very good. Jadyn had so much stuff thrown at her but she learn how to take it in stride. I’m waiting for a sequel.
Profile Image for Laura.
425 reviews24 followers
January 15, 2019
Teal Paisley Tights is a sweet debut novel by Barbara Brutt that deserves to be read, it is a good story. The format could use a little polish, however, despite saying that, the author shows definite promise. I look forward to reading more from Barbara Brutt and watching her grow as an author.

As I consider the story, I wonder if what I perceive as an issue with format to actually be quite deliberate, an interesting way to reflect the it never stops lifestyle so many experience today.

Consider this, Jadyn, having graduated college was eager to prove herself, to make her mark on the art world. In her desire to do so, she quickly falls into a trap many of us, no matter the age, fall into...the inability to simply say no. As Jadyn struggles to move up in the consulting position, she has less and less time to devote time to that which brings her real joy, water-color painting.

Jadyn’s consultant position is exciting and she is good at what she does. Her abilities do not seem faze her very over-demanding supervisor and being her first position out of college, Jadyn silently suffers a good bit of mistreatment along with a continuous workload in order to not rock the boat or worse, get fired.

As she struggles to carry the weight of her consultant position, she soon finds relationships with family members becoming strained, credit cards maxed out, the threat of eviction and exhaustion. Something, somewhere has to give.

Young Jadyn is on a fast spinning merri-go-round, somehow the spin must stop, but what will happen when it does? Will Jadyn be able to pick up the pieces and move forward in a more healthy way? Or will she simply find another merri-go-round?

I received a complimentary copy of this book from the publisher via Just Read Tours and am not required to provide a positive review. All thoughts and opinions therein are solely my own.
January 15, 2019
I really enjoyed the voice of this book. I felt like I was listening to Barbara TELL a story.
I could definitely see the story playing out in my head. I was walking the streets of Philly, going into the art galleries and working for the marketing company. The story was crafted very well.
You can tell this is the author's debut in a few places, but it does not take away from her talent for writing a great story.

There were a few characters I was not a fan of at the beginning of the book, that by the end I really enjoyed them. Their characters grew and changed in subtle ways that made them so much more likable.
(I wouldn't mind having a book about Lana...)

I enjoyed Ethan, though there were a few places he got a touch annoying. But overall he was a sweet and understanding guy.

However with this book, the good comes with some bad.
I really did NOT care for Jaydn. (a bit of a conundrum since she's the one the story is about)
She seemed very immature and was super disorganized, she was super indecisive and I just really struggled with her.
MY personality is completely different, so I think that was my main problem.
The story seemed so real and realistic that I just wanted to reach into the story and shake her. 😅
She got a bit better as the story neared the end and she got comfortable in her own skin, but it was touch and go there for a while.

I know there are people who will LOVE this book, it just wasn't my personal favorite flavor of coffee creamer. But I did enjoy the writing style and the way Barbara painted a realistic story, I will stand behind whatever else she publishes!
I rated it a 3/5 stars.

*I received this book from the author**All opinions are my own*
Profile Image for Karen.
92 reviews4 followers
December 11, 2018
Jadyn Simon is a twenty-something living in Pittsburgh and trying to stay afloat in her job as an account services consultant. Basically, she’s in marketing and advertising. She’s overworked, underpaid, and trying to avoid the wrath of her demanding, overbearing boss. With a passion for art as well as volunteering with youth, Jadyn also has a big heart but not a lot of life experience yet.

As the story unfolds we get to see Jadyn learn to juggle and prioritize responsibilities, to rely on her faith in God a little better, and to decide what she truly wants out of life. Like all young adults, this doesn’t always go as planned, and she sometimes falters in her resolve. I feel like that’s a pretty accurate depiction of young adults, though. Sometimes she drove me crazy with her indecision and her less wise choices, and I feel like I can better understand how parents must feel about their young adult children!

There are a couple of things about this story that bothered me. One conflict in the story is left unresolved, but that may be a deliberate decision on the author’s part because really, that’s how life is sometimes. Also, this book is a bunch of genres mixed together: chick lit, YA contemporary, and even a light Christian element. Again, maybe it was the author’s intent to show how muddy and complicated life can be during that part of life. It’s a light, fun story, and I’m curious to see if there are any sequels that feature other people in Jadyn’s life.

I received a copy of this book from Vinspire Publishing through JustRead Publicity Tours and am under no obligation to leave a positive review. All opinions are my own.
Profile Image for Michaela Bush.
Author 17 books59 followers
January 4, 2019
First off, I enjoyed the characters and how real they were. This author certainly has potential for creating realistic, likeable characters. The main character was vivid and loveable, and I found myself easily caring about her situation. This is an incredibly valuable talent for a writer to possess. I was also excited to read it because it's set in the 'Burgh and it isn't very common that I find books with locations I've actually seen before. I read this in about 3 hours, so it was a nice little read.
However, I found some of the situations to be a bit of a stretch. I can appreciate that the main character had a zillion things going on at once--that's just life--but it got somewhat tedious to keep track of. One minute, she and her sister were getting along splendidly, and in the next page (literally) they were back to an argument that had appeared to be resolved. The relationship between the main character and her male coworker seemed really sudden. I was also waiting for a bigger theme to be revealed; a bigger meaning behind the story...but didn't notice anything (and I'm the type to think up my own metaphors and deeper meanings if they're not readily presented).

Overall, I did think the story was nice, but there were some sore thumbs that stuck out and frustrated me, hence the rating. I do believe that this writer has a lot of potential, which can be coaxed out with practice and a little more experience.
(I received a review copy, but my opinions are my own.)
72 reviews
January 14, 2019
"Teal Paisley Tights," written by Barbara Brutt, is the start of hopefully many, many books from this author! This was such a fun book to read and at the same time so relatable! Jadyn is living life on her own following graduation and hoping to pursue her dreams and work in her chosen field, but things so not always go on plan, or ever that smoothly for anyone in all honesty. Jadyn finds herself working for a demanding and shall we say a boring boss, seriously who doesn't love fun, patterned tights?! This is not the job of her dreams as she is a true artist at heart, but she needs this job to pay her bills, and then wait she cannot pay all of her bills even with this job and has to move in with her sister. As Jadyn struggles to figure out life, she finds herself in the midst of a love triangle as well adding romance to her life and even more decisions to make.

This is such a great book, I can't say that enough! The storyline flows so nicely and I was immediately hooked on the story on the very first page, I'm all about patterned tights and coffee! Barbara has a talent for creating characters whom the reader can relate with and storylines that are just like real life. This is a great story of finding one's self, pursuing dreams and balancing out life's responsibilities and demands along with living your life.

*Thanks to the JustRead Publicity Tour for the complimentary copy of this book.*
307 reviews7 followers
November 16, 2021
Finding an adult balance in life

Jadyn Simon looks like she has got her life all together. She has a successful creative career in advertising, her own apartment, a close family nearby, and the office hunk just asked her on a date. But appearances can be deceiving.

Like many young adults today, Jayden is learning that her faith relationship with God is the only certainty in her life. Trying to use her talents to honor Him, she learns to make difficult choices that might appear stupid to worldly evaluators shaped by prevailing media opinions.

The situations Jaden faced are ones many young women are also confronting. Like jobs with unreasonable demands piled on because they are afraid they will lose their job if they turn down any request from the boss. Or childhood friends that are jealous of new people or interests in life.
The author did a great job of keeping things realistic and relatable while still showing how important Jadyn's faith was to her. It is all the more impressive in this debut novel by Ms.Brutt.

In the end, I think Jadyn found her way through a pivotal point in her life by leaning on her faith and trusting God for the outcomes. At the same time, she comes through these trials happier, more confident, more focused, with many new and supportive friends, and opportunities more in line with her dreams for her life.

I received an ARC copy of this story from Booksprout and voluntarily chose to share my review.
1,289 reviews27 followers
January 14, 2019
As Jayden struggles desperately in to fit in and to please those around her she is so dissatisfied! She is an artist, a creative soul, stuck in a world of rigid rules and expectations.

Anyone who has struggled with pleasing others and doing the things expected of them will be able to relate to her. Watching her as she gets caught in the spiral of saying what she thinks is expected and almost losing the man she cares about because she doesn’t know how to say no to her friend. . . I felt so bad for Jayden!

I loved how the author used the story of Enoch to help Jayden to begin to look at what it would be like to live in such a way to please God instead of just trying to please people.

As a debut novel, I was glad to see that the story was not predictable and it was well written. It was a good look into the heart of a woman trying to conform to the world around her and hide the things that made her unique. Like her love of wearing teal paisley tights.

Read my full review with a Preview at Among the Reads

I was given a copy of this book for free. I was not required to give a favorable review nor was any money received for this review. All comments and opinions are my own.
Profile Image for Taylor.
Author 2 books41 followers
January 9, 2019
This was such a fun read! I received an arc from the publisher and all opinions are my own.

Going into this I expected it to be a romance, and while there is some romance, the main focus is Jayden, our main character. Jayden works as a consultant at an ad agency with a boss who doesn’t like her and way too much on her plate. More than anything Jayden wants to be an artist but isn’t sure how to do that and still survive as a functioning adult. This book felt like a coming of age new adult story and I think we need more of these!
I loved Jayden’s growth throughout the book and how she learned how to say no, stop doing everything just to please everyone else, and truly love the life that she wants.

There were some confusing scenes where one thing would be happening and then the next sentence would be the next day and a new scene. I assume this was because I read an arc of the book, but I hope there are breaks or some sort of indication that things are changing within the chapter.

I thought this was a fun debut and I can’t wait to see more from this author.
Profile Image for Rosalyn.
941 reviews12 followers
January 15, 2019
This book is a light-hearted read. Funny. I like the heroine, she's easy to relate to. This is a bit different from most of the books review in that it's not necessarily under the Christian genre. It is a clean novel, but more on the light-hearted 'romantic comedy' side.

Jadyn is a consultant, trying, or rather, determined to make it in the marketing field. Her job load keeps increasing. Her work is causing her to miss out on too many other things in life. She loses her apartment. And then there's the men in her life....Ethan, and her lifelong friend Travis. She's just not sure what to do.

And yes...those lovely tights do figure into this story quite heavily.

Disclaimer: I receive complimentary books from various sources, including, publishers, publicists, authors, and/or NetGalley. I am not required to write a positive review, and have not received any compensation. The opinions shared here are my own entirely. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255
Profile Image for Hallie (Hallie Reads).
1,529 reviews104 followers
Shelved as 'reviewed'
February 20, 2019
3.5

The debut novel for Barbara Brutt, Teal Paisley Tights is all the fun that readers expect from chick lit: Jadyn is the quirky, creative main character, struggling to find balance in her life between her job, her relationships, her art, and her people-pleasing nature. Of course, her story has a lot going on within it, and she has plenty to learn over the course of the story, which leads to quite the satisfying ending. It’s a delightfully heartwarming read. While I would have liked to see a little more of the romance in the plot, I did enjoy Teal Paisley Tights—and if you like chick lit, you might enjoy it, too.

This review is also posted on Hallie Reads.

Thanks to JustRead Tours, I received a complimentary copy of Teal Paisley Tights and the opportunity to provide an honest review. I was not required to write a positive review, and all the opinions I have expressed are my own.
Profile Image for Andi Tubbs.
903 reviews65 followers
January 14, 2019
Barbara Brutt's debut book Teal Paisley Tights is the chick lit that I've adored since it became a genre. Jadyn is a hot mess of a heroine, which we can all identify with at some point in time, and so incredibly fun. She is creative and finds a way to turn disasters into something not so horrible.

I liked how she decided to step out of her comfort zone and did what she loved. We all know that family relationships can be tough and Ms. Brutt shows the sister relationship with humor and truth.

The entire book was laugh out loud fun. I found Jadyn's voice sweet and very, very chaotic which fit her actions. And her obsession with her teal paisley tights will make you not only shake your head in amusement but have you thinking about getting a pair.

I received a copy of this book via the publisher in association with Just Read Publicity Tours. I was not required to write a review all thoughts and opinions are my own.
Profile Image for Caitlyn Santi.
Author 4 books79 followers
December 19, 2018
4 Stars!
This is a very good Chick lit debut novel. Super cute and fun while also being very true to life! I instantly liked the main character, Jadyn and I found myself relating to several different aspects of her life. The message of defining what success means to you, and learning to rely on God and asking Him to guide your life was fantastic and just the reminder I needed at this point in my life! I read this one a bit slower, so I really had time to absorb all the great things about it! A great read that I highly recommend! I'm glad that I read Teal Paisley Tights, and I look forward to reading more by this author in the future!

I received an ebook copy of this book from the publisher which did not influence my review in any way. All thoughts and opinions are one hundred percent my own.
Profile Image for Cindy Coats.
163 reviews2 followers
June 13, 2019
I met Barbara about 8-9 years ago when she was a volunteer for a sports camp I was putting on. I loved Barbara's personality from then on. I think I even have a picture of her where she wore her hair like a who from whoville for Friday Funday, but that's besides the point.

When she announced she wrote a book, it's been on my list ever since then. And I've been following her on GOodreads for a while!

I enjoyed this book. It almost reminded me of the Party Girl series by Rachel Hollis! It was a light fun read with romance, humor, and much more. I would recommend you read this for sure. You find yourself cheering on the main Character the entire time.

I got emotionally involved in disliking one of the characters deeply. I love being sucked into a story like that. I found bits of myself in the story and it made me think about my life as well.
Profile Image for Julissa.
59 reviews
January 21, 2019
This was a good fun romcom that made me laugh more than once. The main character isn't very organized making her daily life hectic. I can definitely relate to her, since I'm trying to find the right balance in my life to stay organized. She struggles with making decisions in her life, which I believe a lot of people do today. She felt like a regular person and not some made up character, and I really liked that.
If you're looking for a fun light chick lit, definitely pick this up.

Disclaimer: I recieved this book from the publisher. All opinions are my own.
Profile Image for Meagan.
1,462 reviews58 followers
January 21, 2019
Entertaining, quick read

I read this in just a few hours, and appreciated both the quick pace and nuggets of truth throughout.

I could relate very much to Jadyn and the career components and struggles. Since I’ve got about 10 years on her, there were times I wanted to launch into advice mode (much like her sister? Hmm...), but I enjoyed watching her grow and make her own choices.

A couple off-the-cuff remarks alluding to one’s orientation or quick ways to make sizable money were a bummer.
Profile Image for Laura Finley.
417 reviews2 followers
November 19, 2021

The story has laughs and struggles for the characters. I enjoyed how Jadyn Simon dealt with her struggles. Jadyn Simon is in a job she hates, but knows she needs it to pay her bills. When she receives an eviction notice, her life takes a turn. At work, her boss has given her an important account to handle. Jadyn's personal life has taken a turn for the better, so she thinks. Her life long best friend, Travis Bulrick, starts causing trouble for Jadyn with her love interest, Ethan McAlvey.

Displaying 1 - 30 of 47 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.