Start by marking “The Prisoner of Limnos (Penric and Desdemona, #6)” as Want to Read:
The Prisoner of Limnos (Penric and Desdemona, #6)

The Prisoner of Limnos

(Penric and Desdemona (Publication order) #6)

In this sequel novella to “Mira’s Last Dance”, Temple sorcerer Penric and the widow Nikys have reached safety in the duchy of Orbas when a secret letter from a friend brings frightening news: Nikys’s mother has been taken hostage by her brother’s enemies at the Cedonian imperial court, and confined in a precarious island sanctuary.

Their own romance still unresolved, Nikys,
Published January 31st 2019 by Subterranean (first published October 26th 2017)

Liz
Nov 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
We all know how I feel about Bujold by now, right? It's nice to get some resolution to the love story (which, to be fair, we all knew where it was going). The story itself was...fun albeit Milesian. And Milesian is not a criticism because I love Miles deeply and forever (even if I would murder him if I had to live with him).
There is an interesting thing I want to write about Miles versus Penric as models of...an overinhabited mind, let us say. And as people who are constantly in over their head
Book Gannet
Oct 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Much though I enjoyed Mira’s Last Dance, I will admit to being slightly disappointed in Nikys at the end. This disappointment carried through to the beginning of this book, because of the way she’s using Penric. She knows she’s doing it, she even feels slightly guilty about it, but she does it anyway. Of course, Penric is an adult with a two hundred year old demon looking after him, so he’s hardly defenseless, but still, I was not wholly in charity with Nikys at the start of this book.

Thankfully
Nicole Luiken
Lovely. Read in an afternoon. Adventure, relationships, cool magic.

Fave bit: How Nikys made rescuing her mother an offering to the Daughter of Spring. And her other brother's appearance.
Denise
Nov 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5. Fun to have Pen back and I'm sure his new extended family will provide some future adventures!
Roslyn
Nov 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This instalment of the Penric novellas resolved very, very satisfactorily (those who have been reading the series can probably guess what I'm referring to). Whatever I've written about the other novellas applies here, in spades - apart from the very first, I'd say this is the one I've enjoyed the most so far.
Jacob Proffitt
This is part of a series and towards the end. I definitely recommend reading at least Mira's Last Dance before this one and by preference all the rest of them, too.

Well, it's a decent wrap, though I'm still bummed with how Nykis and Penric turned out. The adventure of this one was mildly interesting and I enjoyed what little interaction we got between Pen and Nykis. But as is usual for me in this series, the real draw was Des and Penric. That relationship remains as stellar as it ever was.

It's p
Wm
Jul 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's a satisfying wrap up to the Penric and Nikys story (although more of the two of them would be welcome) although the plot is a bit too obvious. Otoh, seeing Penric and co. being competent and clever still makes for a good story.
Chip
Nov 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Have it 4 stars because Bujold, and couldn’t - quite - bring myself to give it only 3. But really, not as strong as most of her Miles books, or the actual Chalion novels. I think it’s a combination of the novella format not really having enough (or at least as much) depth, and the continued deus ex machina. It’s the anti-GRRM effect, in that at no point is there really any suspense whether things will turn out ok.
katayoun Masoodi
Nov 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook, fantasy, favorites
love penric, desdemona and nikys.
Alealea
LMB is so playing us.
I think I should be mad but the story is so enjoyable and Pen and Des so irresistible...

it is perfect.

---
It was really funny to hear the voiced version of some characters... Not at all like I pictured it when reading. But still, definitely, a great enjoyment.
Kat  Hooper
May 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
Will review at www.fantasyliterature.com.
Книжни Криле
„Затворничката на Лимнос” – Пенрик, подгонен къде от добрата си природа, къде от любовна тръпка, той и Дездемона поемат на поредното приключение, което служи и като своеобразен завършек на цикъла. Новата им цел е да освободи от плен майката на своята любима Найкис. Може би най-вълнуващата история в „Пенрик - магьосникът от Шалион”, последната новела цементира прекрасните ми впечатления от този вълнуващ свят. Но голямата сила на Лоис Макмастър Бюджолд си остават отлично изградените герои и технит ...more
David Holmes
I've been extremely distracted by real life and have been "reading" this book for a ridiculously long time now. This is not a great way to read any book and I suspect it negatively impacted my enjoyment a bit, but I'm not going to overthink it. This is another solid Penric novella, but for some reason the main plot didn't excite me all that much. It definitely had its moments, though.
T. K. Elliott (Tiffany)
Dec 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I do like Bujold's Penric novellas (well, nearly everything she writes, really). They're short, sweet, and fun. Penric and Desdemona are excellent characters, and I have high hopes for Nikys, too.

I look forward to the next one.
Bart
Nov 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017-read
***Actual rating: 4,25***
Soo
Mar 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
*Need to Review

Good wrap up for the series. Lots of laugh out loud moments.
Stephen Richter
I am now all caught up with this marvelous series which gives us the tales of Penric and his demon. Now I will wait for the next installment hoping it comes soon. Had a few hours in the car which is all you need to put a dent in these short but brilliant stories.
Sctechsorceress
Dec 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-books, fantasy
What can I say about “The Prisoner of Limnos”? It's the sixth novella in the Penric and Desdemona series, and follows right after “Mira's Last Dance”. We follow up on what happened to Penric and Nikys after their arrival in the duchy of Orbas. Penric's superiors want him to come back to their temple. Penric doesn't want to go... at least not yet.

It's hard not to say too much about the plot. This is, after all, a novella. But it's a good story. It's got all the adventure, and daring and even s
Jen
Apr 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, lite-read
Nikys asks for Pen's help in going to rescue her mother, who is being held hostage (should have seen that coming with all the foreshadowing). We meet the most Mary Stu like character of Bujold's yet, but I don't care because I love him in all his ridiculous, unrealistic albino AND eunuch AND assassin-bodyguard glory. It's a character written just for teenage-me, complete with younger charge he's of course in love with. Curious to see where this love triangle ends up....
Denise
Nov 27, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
In which Penric rescues a damsel from a locked room.

I really wish Bujold would have made a novel out of these, and cut down on the repetitive explication. The convoluted, interwoven plots of her novels are part of their appeal; the short form demands a straighter line.
John
Jan 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf-fantasy
A rescue and a romance (a little too much of the latter for my taste), with no fewer than three potentially fascinating new characters to hope appear in future episodes.
Stephanie
I really liked the bit where Nykis asked what their relationship would be and Desdemonda says something like, "Sweetling, for you I'll be anything you like" and you know Penric is dying of embarrassment and Nykis can't decide if she's turned on or not and I'm just yelling at my audiobook "YAAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSSSSSS QUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEN"
Matthew Galloway
This is just an absolutely wonderful series. Fascinating world building, lovable characters, plenty of high stakes and cleverness, and all broken down into these easily digestible novellas. I am always left wanting more -- but in all the best ways.
Robert
Jan 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks
A satisfying (almost) conclusion to Penric's romance. I nope there is art least
one more book in this series, and I would like more stories in the world of the five goods anyway.
MB (What she read)
I want to read this but $3.99 for 139 pages?!? These novellas are not worth that to me.
Pat
Nov 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Another great novella and very enjoyable reading experience.
Lorena
Nov 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Another lovely entry in the Penric and Desdemona series, resolving That Which Was Not Resolved with Nickys. It's thoughtful and beautifully done, and a pleasure to read.
Rebekah
Nov 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Pen <3 Always happy to have more time with Pen.

Her voice still as pleasantly level, Lady Xarre said, “Do you trust him?” Nikys’s eyes squeezed closed, opened. “With my life, yes,” she said, with gratifying firmness. “With my future… I’m still thinking.” Lady Xarre chuckled. “Wise girl.”

---

Nikys stopped in front of Pen, glowering up at him. She bit her lip. Drew breath. “I absolutely forbid you to get yourself killed, either, you know.” Was that how a woman said I love you without saying I lov
Ari
loving this further dive into lmb's id feat. polyamory, bodysharing, bodysharing polyamory
Wendy
May 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
awwwwwww.
Goodreads Librari...: Placeholder Cover replacement 2 19 Apr 27, 2018 04:25AM
  • The Wonder Engine (Clocktaur War #2)
  • Stories of the Raksura, Volume 2: The Dead City & The Dark Earth Below
  • Necessity's Child  (Liaden Universe #16)
  • Rituals (Rhapsody of Blood, #1)
  • Project Elfhome (Elfhome, #4.5)
  • The Beasts Who Fought for Fairyland Until the Very End and Further Still
  • Imprinted (Magic Ex Libris, #4.5)
  • Courting Magic
  • For Crown and Kingdom
  • The Beast of the Rails (The Second Journey of Agatha Heterodyne Volume 1)(Girl Genius, #14)
  • Fairs' Point (Astreiant, #4)
  • The Labyrinth of Flame (Shattered Sigil, #3)
  • A Rational Arrangement (Arranging Paradise, #1)
  • Steles of the Sky (Eternal Sky, #3)
Lois McMaster Bujold was born in 1949, the daughter of an engineering professor at Ohio State University, from whom she picked up her early interest in science fiction. She now lives in Minneapolis, and has two grown children.

Her fantasy from HarperCollins includes the award-winning Chalion series and the Sharing Knife tetralogy; her science fiction from Baen Books features the perennially bestse

Penric and Desdemona (Publication order) (6 books)
  • Penric's Demon (Penric and Desdemona, #1)
  • Penric and the Shaman (Penric and Desdemona, #2)
  • Penric’s Mission (Penric and Desdemona, #3)
  • Mira's Last Dance (Penric and Desdemona, #4)
  • Penric's Fox (Penric and Desdemona, #5)
“And that was just how it worked, wasn’t it? Happiness handed around and around, never stopping. It wasn’t something one could hoard tight like a miser. That would be like trying to hold one’s breath for later.” 4 likes
“One gives you the shirt off his back, mused Des, and the other offers to help you bury bodies. I do believe you have made some new friends, Pen!” 1 likes