Start by marking “How Long 'til Black Future Month?: Stories” as Want to Read:
How Long 'til Black Future Month?: Stories

How Long 'til Black Future Month?: Stories

In these stories, Jemisin sharply examines modern society, infusing magic into the mundane, and drawing deft parallels in the fantasy realms of her imagination. Dragons and hateful spirits haunt the flooded city of New Orleans in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina. In a parallel universe, a utopian society watches our world, trying to learn from our mistakes. A black mothe ...more
Published November 29th 2018 by Little, Brown Book Group (first published November 27th 2018)

To ask other readers questions about How Long 'til Black Future Month?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How Long 'til Black Future Month?

Leah Rachel von Essen
How Long ‘Til Black Future Month? is simply superb. There wasn’t a story in the twenty-two that didn’t impress. Jemisin is a science fiction and fantasy powerhouse, and that is clear by the sheer variety of tales told—there are a dozen novel-worthy worlds crafted in this volume.

Jemisin opens with “The Ones Who Stay and Fight,” a direct story response to Ursula K. Le Guin’s “The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas.” It ends with a parallel—a story about a man defending his city, post-Katrina New Orle
Hannah
Jul 17, 2018 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I don’t think I could be more excited for this.
Hiu Gregg
Dec 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was, I’m ashamed to admit, the first N.K. Jemisin book I’ve ever read. I don’t say this because I subscribe to the belief that there are books which are “required reading” in the fantasy genre (because I absolutely don’t), but rather because on reading the stories in How Long ’til Black Future Month, I was struck by just how damned gifted Jemisin is as a writer. And yet I’m only finding that out now.

But then, “gifted” isn’t really the best word to use here. These stories are very much a ref
Liz Barnsley
Nov 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I’ve recently been making my way through this authors ” Broken Earth ” trilogy – one book to go- and the way she writes is so creative, beautifully done, so as a fan of short stories generally I was looking forward to this.
There is an art to the short story form, not every author no matter how talented can pull them off, but N K Jemisin certainly can. In this collection we have varying lengths but each one is a small gem unto itself, exploring many themes, a lot of them melancholy and thought pr
Rana
Dec 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Is there even any doubt that this would be fucking fantastic?
Makeda / ColourLit
Review pending...just know I loved this collection. 🏃🏾♀ 🏃🏾♀ 🏃🏾♀ to buy The Inheritance Trilogy and Dreamblood Duology! ...more
Marchpane
Dec 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-stories
Based on the title, I was expecting How Long ‘til Black Future Month? to be a little more sci-fi leaning and/or a lot more overtly political. But as Jemisin points out in her introduction, just being a black woman writing sci-fi and fantasy that features black characters is a political act. Occasionally she does reference real-world events, such as the terrific “Sinners, Saints, Dragons, and Haints, in the City Beneath the Still Waters”, about a young man and his elderly neighbour trying to surv ...more
Dawn Christoffersen
Jan 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, audible
Admittedly I’ve only read The Fifth Season but I think I like Jemisin’s short stories better than her novels. She really has a concise way with words that suits this shorter writing exercise so well.

Stories that stood out to me: “Stone Hunger” (marking the early embers of her Broken Earth trilogy), “On the Banks of the River Lex”, “Henosis” and “The Narcomancer” were all extremely good, and “The Narcomancer” also made me really curious to read her Dreamblood books!
Hannah Li
Jan 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
HOW DOES SHE DO IT?! How in the world is her mind so freaking brilliant? I demand an answer...

This is definitely my absolute favorite short story collection I've read so far. I was head over heels for 19 of the stories and only didn't enjoy 3 of them. I can still say with certainty that they were all strong, stunning, and breathtaking (yes, even the unfortunate 3. Just because I didn't like them as much didn't mean they weren't amazing in their own way). The stories are extremely accessible and
La Coccinelle
I haven't read any of this author's longer works yet. I figured trying some of her short stories might be a good introduction to her writing (and a quick way to figure out if I'm going to click with it).

Goodreads has decided that my thoughts are too big to be contained (either that, or it's just the fact that there are 22 stories in this book, and I had something to say about all of them). In any case, my review wouldn't fit. Head over to my blog to read the full review.
Sana
Jul 17, 2018 marked it as to-read-so-bad-it-hurts  ·  review of another edition
'In a parallel universe, a utopian society watches our world, trying to learn from our mistakes.'

UM NEEEEEED. THIS AND THE REST OF THE SHORT STORIES
Ran
Dec 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A collection of N. K. Jemisin's short stories, including a precursor to her series, The Broken Earth trilogy (which I haven't yet finished). Jeminsin mixes magic, fantasy, and elements of science fiction into this work with no particular focus, but her stories retain a certain essence of social commentary. Stories I particularly liked:
"The Ones Who Stay and Fight" (referring to Le Guin's Omelas)
"L'Alchimista" (intriguing)
"Valedictorian" (terrifying)
"Cuisine des Mémoires" (so freaking relatable
Kaa
AMAZING. Seriously, there is not one bad story in this collection. N.K. Jemisin's combination of fantastical what-ifs, written with incredible intimacy and humanity, is for me a guaranteed recipe for beautiful stories. There were a couple that didn't completely blow me away, but if that's the worst I can say about them, we're doing pretty well. It's very hard to pick favorites, since all of them were so good, but a few that stood out for me were The City Born Great, The Effluent Engine, Cloud Dr ...more
Ciera
Jan 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Death felt himself ignored and forgotten—but that was all right. The young did not often think about Death, but Death was no less eternal for their disinterest.

I’ve never read anything of NK Jemisin’s before this and, thanks to the title, cover, and intriguing synopsis, I figured I’d start with this one. And I’m so glad that I did. Not one of the stories in this collection sounded the same or covered the same ground; each one was unique, with an amazingly different voice and character, without
The Captain
Jan 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, sci-fi
Ahoy there me mateys! I have read five of the author’s novels but had never read any of her short stories. N.K. Jemisin has been making waves by doing cool things like winning the Hugo award three years in a row for every book in her Broken Earth trilogy (which I haven’t read yet!). So when I saw she was publishing this short story collection I got excited. And after listening to the audiobook, I can say that I adored it.

This collection has 22 varied tales. Now here’s the thing, for the majority
Meg Elison
Dec 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Spectacular collection. Loved the lesbian dirigible spy.
Ciera
Dec 07, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This rating pained me, but not as much as finishing this book pained me.

And that sucks because I worship the ground Jemisin walks on. But these stories were just a bit too quirky for me - I've never been a fan of magical realism anyway, and the lofty prose and stream of consciousness style of writing that was prevalent throughout the book reminded me of the horrid Latin American magical realism classics I had to slog through during undergrad.

Jemisin is so talented, but these stories were just no
Gabi
Jan 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed reading the short stories in this collection a lot. N.K. Jemisin has a knack for this format and I’m glad that she overcame the reservations against it, which she mentioned in her foreword.

Some of the stories didn’t move me, yet they weren’t bad – they just weren‘t for me. Yet there are a lot more stories that I liked, loved and that fascinated me. The unique beauty of this collection is the broad diversity of the topics, POVs and genres within them. You can read SF stories with AIs he
Kat (Kindred Dreamheart)
Every world glimpse left me wanting more. I wanted to hate this for the chapter cliffhangers.... darn it! I.Want.More.
Katy
Sep 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was utterly delighted to get my hands on a copy of How Long ’til Black Future Month. Short story collections are generally a struggle for me, but I’ll read anything Jemisin writes. The variety of these 22 stories is stunning. Some are set in our own world with magical elements, while others unfold in more fantastical settings. I was thrilled that one of the stories is set in the universe of her Broken Earth Trilogy. I did prefer the stories set in imagined worlds, but it’s possible that’s only ...more
Linda
This was great. Favorites from this collection include: Valedictorian, The Storyteller's Replacement, Walking Awake, Cuisine des Memoires, The Narcomancer, and Henosis.

MOST ANTICIPATED!!!!
Kara
An excellent collection of short fiction that surpassed my already high expectations—though of course this is no surprise, coming from Jemisin. Having only read her Broken Earth trilogy, I greatly enjoyed the opportunity to peek into some of the other fantasy worlds she has created. If anything, I liked this collection a tad bit more (barely a smidge!) than the Broken Earth series, as the tight length of short stories keeps the plots and magic systems contained and focused, which was my one quib ...more
Shan
Jemisin's Broken Earth trilogy is a pretty hard act to follow, but these stories are imaginative, thought-provoking, and well worth a read -- the bittersweet "Cuisine des Memoires" and especially the chilling yet ultimately hopeful "Walking Awake" and "Sinners, Saints, Dragons, and Haints, in the City Beneath the Still Waters" were standouts for me.
Ilias
Dec 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018, short-stories, q, sf
I don't Really know how much I have to say about this book, except that it was very good. It was really fun to read Jemisin's writing in a realistic setting. The variety of writing styles, settings, and stories in this book was very impressive. The characters were all very good. I felt like I learned one thing abt how she sees the world from each story. It was a very enjoyable read + I highly recommend it. It was also very immersive.
Andrew
Dec 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an excellent and varied collection of tales set in different periods and different worlds.

My favourites include "The Narcomancer", "Sinners, Saints, Dragons..." and "Cusine de Memoires".
"The Narcomancer" is a story set in the world introduced in the "Dreamblood Duology". "Sinners, Saints, Dragons..." follows the adventures of a group of characters living in New Orleans at the time that the city was hit by Hurricane Katrina. While these were my favourites, there were many others in the
Emily
Dec 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really, really good. I'm a short story fan, and each of these is a glimpse of a perfectly- conceived, fascinating world. If you like Neil Gaiman, I think you'll like this.
Claudia ✨
Everyone who knows me knows what an avid fan of N.K Jemisin I am. I sing her praises to the sky on the daily, and am constantly mesmerised by her talent and brain. How Long 'til Black Future Month? just reminded me of what I already knew; that Jemisin is brilliant, and a master with words.

“People don' need no monster to make 'em do evil-hearted shit. All it take is a brown face, or somebody wearin' old tore-up clothes.”

How Long 'til Black Future Month? is an anthology collecting some of Jemi
Claudia Piña
Dec 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amo y admiro a autoras como Jemisin que frecuentemente se encuentran contra corriente y sin embargo son contundentes en su deseo de plasmar su cultura, sin necesidad de adaptarse a estándares ajenos.

Lo mejor es que su talento y excelente manejo de las palabras son innegables, además de que noto que está explorando más a fondo las posibilidades del cuento corto, con excelentes resultados (incluso en los casos que detestaría por estar en primera persona, pero funcionan).
Runalong
Dec 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely fantastic short story collection - you should all read this

Full review How Long 'Til Black Future Month? by N. K. Jemisin https://www.runalongtheshelves.net/bl...
Ethan
Jan 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
N. K. Jemisin has been having a great few years. She won three consecutive Best Novel Hugos for her Broken Earth trilogy, a ground breaking (literally) revitalization of the fantasy genre (with hints of science fiction). I recently heard her referred to as The Queen of the Genre, and it's hard to dismiss this as hyperbole.

Many of her fans, including this one, were anticipating her first collection of short fiction. So, how is it?

Like most short story collections, I liked some of the stories more
SciFi and Fantasy...: Jan 5: "How Long 'til Black Future Month?" Buddy Read 76 226 5 hours, 29 min ago
N. K. Jemisin lives and works in New York City.
“Who is to say plutonium is more powerful than, say, rice? One takes away a million lives, the other saves a hundred times as many.” 1 likes
“[...] I'm still hungry and tired all the time, scared all the time, never safe. What good does it do to be valuable, if nobody values you?” 0 likes