Start by marking “Dünyanın Neden Var Olmadığı Üzerine” as Want to Read:
Dünyanın Neden Var Olmadığı Üzerine

Dünyanın Neden Var Olmadığı Üzerine

“Dünya’nın neden var olmadığını anlamak için, öncelikle bir şeyin var olmasının ne anlama geldiğini çözmek gerek. Bir şey ancak Dünya’da rastlanan bir şeyse vardır, ancak Dünya’nın kendisine, Dünya’da rastlayamıyoruz. En azından ben daha hiç görmedim, hissetmedim ve tatmadım.”
1980 doğumlu Alman filozof Markus Gabriel “Dünya neden yok?” sorusunu cevaplarken bizleri ye
Published August 18th 2018 by Koç University Press (first published June 10th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Dünyanın Neden Var Olmadığı Üzerine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dünyanın Neden Var Olmadığı Üzerine

Start your review of Dünyanın Neden Var Olmadığı Üzerine
Owlseyes inside Notre Dame, it's so strange a 15-hour blaze and...30-minutes wait to call the firemen...and
The world doesn’t exist, but maybe the universe does; and the unicorn too.

(view spoiler)

I had great expectations about the book. The cover title is an epistemology question. But, I guess, it’s not that satisfactory the author's answer in the first chapters of the book. I think it needs a bit of refinement, his notion of “fi
Sid Nuncius
Oct 07, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a pretty demanding book. It's written with wit and in a rather engaging style, but it's still a tough intellectual work-out. On the whole I think it's worth the effort, but it's not an unmitigated intellectual treat by any means.

I am not a philosopher, although I have studied Philosophy of Science and it's an interest which I have kept up. Markus Gabriel makes a decent stab at moving on from the sort of postmodern nonsense we've been subjected to of "our internal view of the
Hugo Filipe
Jan 15, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Way too academic and not inspiring at all.
In fact, the question should be "Why does this book exist?"
Erika_kartmann
Auf dem Umschlag steht: "...ein großartige Gedankenübung!"
Genau das ist es. Herr Gabriel erklärt, warum es die Welt nicht gibt, aber warum es trotzdem alles andere gibt.
Neue Erkenntnisse hat mir die Lektüre nicht verschafft, aber immerhin wurde ich gut unterhalten und der Autor scheint ein sehr sympathischer Mensch mit gutem Filmgeschmack zu sein.
Franck
Apr 27, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Gabriel constructs scarecrows of his imagined opponents, Foucault in particular, which he then merrily guns down. Problem is, Foucault et al. never have argued that simplistic and trivial as Gabriel insinuates. This is bad style - philosphically as well as intellectually. For me this obliterated some of the more clever arguments and intellectual games in the book.
Robert Hoffmann
Dec 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Eine neuer Blick auf die Welt, die es als ein Allesumfassendes nicht gibt und genau das eröffnet unzählige neue Perspektiven, von denen jede seine Wahrheit in seinem Gegenstandbereich hat.
Ein erfrischender Standpunkt gegen, den, von den meisten längst verinnerlichten, Wissenschaftsdogmatismus. Vor allem in der Ausprägung des Reduktionismus (wir sind nur Elementarteilchen im Universum). Wer dies glaubt, der hat seine Seele verkauft und sich selbst zur Fleischmaschine gemacht.
Auch wenn ich
Javier Alonso Masa
An engaging philosophical journey

As a scientist, one of my aims is to better understand " the world". So, when I saw the book at my local bookstore and read its title, it got my attention. I didn't buy at that time, but I kept thinking about it and finally decided to get later the kindle version of it. And I have to say it didn't disappoint me. I would lie if I said I managed to follow all the arguments and reasonings presented by the author to prove his idea that what understand as" the world"
Corwin Richter
Auf der einen Seite lässt sich sagen, dass es durchaus unterhaltsames Buch.
Gabriel weiß, wie man eine Idee für den Leihen Schritt für Schritt aufbaut und anhand von Populärkultur verständlich macht.
Auch, wenn die didaktische Vorgehensweise äußerst positiv zu bewerten ist, so muss man die Simplifizierung der Herangehensweise an Themen wie z.B. Postmodernismus, oder metametaphysische Fragen anmerken.
Des Weiteren geht Gabriel nicht auf Phänomene ein, die seine fundamentale Annahme
Bob Chow
How can you claim to be a realist and at the same time say that «the world does not exist»? This can be done if, in a catchy act of sophistry, you say that, actually, what you meant by «world», was not the real world we can touch and see, but the collections of mental representations we, humans, have of it. But still, if I’m not wrong, which would be also strange, as per Markus’ claim that the list of represented objects and perspectives humans can create is infinite, this hardly equates to non- ...more
Tpeter
Dec 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I picked this up at rando., and it is one of the best and most engaging philosophy books I have read.
Markus Gabriel writes clear, in a very engaging way, using everyday life examples from the present time to explain "the new realism" (sounds better in German...) a philosophical way to view/describe concepts like "the world" and "knowledge" that is free of the rigid formalism and dichotomies plaguing many other philosophical standpoints.
Max Li
Oct 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: philosophy
A fairly good introduction into Markus Gabriel version of new realism philosophy. Clearly articulated and comprehensible to someone who’s not philosophically trained. The discussions on good religions are interesting. In the closing chapter, he suggests the potentially of “quality” TV series. This is especially relevant today when Netflix series have somehow keeping us from going to cinemas. It’s worth a separate thorough discussion.
Darcy French
Jul 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I planned on giving this book 3 starts for 80% of it due to a lot of pretentiousness, and lack of clear writing and rhetoric, but it really held it's own and won me back in the last 50 pages. Gabriel became much more humble about his thesis, and more reflective in what this sort of philosophy means for the way we interact with the world around as we experience it.
Luis Alv
Jun 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Es un libro muy bueno, en cuanto a su ambiente de filosofía se refiere, los temas que abarca son muy interesantes y su expresión lo hace muy sencillo de entender.
La tesis que plantea no es nada del otro mundo, pero marca una buena pauta para la filosofía sobre el todo de la época actual.
Dani
Another book I just can't find the motivation to finish at this point in time. This was my second attempt at reading this book, and I honestly don't know if I'd try again.
Ami Iida
Aug 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: philosophy, physics
human lives in limited "world", it means "nothing is world".
Willem
Jan 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The journey of ontology in "Why the world does not exist" leads to the only truth of our expanding and never ending thirst for knowledge on why we are here.
Geoffrey
Sep 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the author's less techn
ical
explanation , in part, of "new realism". I found the book quite enjoyable and readable. Indeed, it may even change one's paradigm of what the world is, or isn't.
Mallory
Dec 03, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: unfinished
Full of tautologies, and dude drags Stephen Hawking for an entire chapter. I gave up.
Swhirsch
Nov 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Trapped in self-reflection

This is a truly an amazing little book that surveys quite a bit of philosophical thought over the past 200 years or so. The thesis is that the world does not exist and believe it or not a convincing argument is posited. However, what is really proved indisputably is the limitations and inadequacy of human thought, of which actually philosophy is entirely constructed. Still a profoundly interesting read with many insights.
Max
Mar 28, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dit is stevige kost voor een niet-filosoof. Elke poging van mijn kant een filosoof samen te vatten is nutteloos, daarom alleen mijn reflectie.
De wereld bestaat inderdaad niet, MG heeft gelijk. In 200 pagina's legt hij toch redelijk begrijpelijk uit wat hiermee bedoeld wordt, met behulp van goede stellingnames zoals dat de natuurkunde 'maar' een objectgebied is (en dat natuurkundigen daarom niet moeten doen alsof ze alles kunnen verklaren en hun universum alles omvat) en dat constructivisten eig
Yannick
Dec 18, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Three stars because the author is gifted when it comes to writing and I adore the topic, thinking about the fundamental ontology of the world.
However, in my humble opinion, the book and the reasoning reveals not only fundamental ontology but also fundamental weaknesses. I think the author lacks, matching his academic background, knowledge about (or appreciation for, I do not know) the natural sciences e.g. general relativity, quantum physics but also system theory and complexity science. A
Max
Apr 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Af en toe had ik het gevoel dat Gabriel aan semantische spelletjes deed, waarbij hij de lezer op het verkeerde been zette. Aan het eind van het boek worden de dingen toch wel wat duidelijker en is zijn visie op humor en fantasie een welkome verademing. Een pittig boek waar je niet snel doorheen komt, maar dat wel de moeite waard is.
Melusine Parry
Mar 31, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: philosophy, owned
Livre très divertissant et intéressant, brillant même, dans la lignée de Meillassoux mais plus pop. Un peu difficile de se faire une idée sans l'armement intellectuel et philosophique nécessaire - vague impression de poudre aux yeux? Un livre qui donne envie de lire ensuite ses critiques.
Sebastien Roy-Ssf
Cet essais nous renseigne clairement sur la non-existence du monde. Si ce n'était pas de certains concepts mal définies en philosophie et quelques références culturelles très spécifiques, je recommanderais ce livre au Cégep.
Pauladeblis
My philosophy teacher made us read this book in class and I couldn't understand every part of it. I tried, but I may improve my philosophy's knowledge to fully comprehend it.
Logan Keys
Jun 26, 2015 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Just got this one on Netgalley
Juan B
Mar 30, 2017
Gonzalo Corvera
rated it did not like it
Mar 20, 2018
Andrés Abril
Jan 07, 2018
Andreas
May 13, 2015

• Critique of Pure Reason
  • The Meaning of Life
  • Menschen Brauchen Monster
  • Vernon Subutex, 1 (Vernon Subutex, #1)
  • The Spectacle of the Void
  • Die Känguru-Offenbarung (Die Känguru-Chroniken, #3)
  • Das Känguru-Manifest (Die Känguru-Chroniken, #2)
  • The Aleph and Other Stories
  • Ladivine
  • Unser empathisches Gehirn: Warum wir verstehen, was andere fühlen (German Edition)
  • Blackass
  • Erebos 2 (Erebos, #2)
  • Atlas of Remote Islands
  • Mythologies
  • Die Känguru-Chroniken: Ansichten eines vorlauten Beuteltiers (Die Känguru-Chroniken, #1)
  • Democratic Justice
  • En busca de Klingsor
  • Writing Philosophy: A Student's Guide to Writing Philosophy Essays
Markus Gabriel was born in 1980 and studied in Heidelberg, Lisbon and New York. Since 2009 he has held the chair for Epistemology at the University of Bonn; and with this appointment he became Germany's youngest philosophy professor. He is also the director of the International Center for Philosophy in Bonn.
“Philosophers view the world to a certain extent in the same way as do alien beings or children. Everything is always completely new. They mistrust strongly ingrained judgments, and, yes, they even mistrust the scientific claims of experts.” 1 likes
“When, at a closer glance, so many objects are questionable, when all knowledge seems to be clothed in a kind of deep unknowing, why do we still place any trust at all in reality as it appears to us, in the world in which we seem to live?” 1 likes