Start by marking “Oak Avenue” as Want to Read:
Oak Avenue

Oak Avenue

(Dark Corners Collection #7)

A young wife and mother—new to this town and to its secrets—learns just how much she doesn’t know in this tingly tale of all the things hiding in the dark at the top of the stairs, from bestselling author Brandi Reeds.

While renovating her Victorian home, Ana Clementine finds an ornate door buried under forty years of earth. Once she restores it to the attic, she starts hea

Published September 27th 2018 by Amazon Original Stories

To ask other readers questions about Oak Avenue, please sign up.
Katie Pagan This one is, but I don't know that all of them are.

Sandra
Oct 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Ana and Edison Clementine and their baby Sabrina move into an old Victorian house they bought a couple of weeks ago. Work takes Edison away a lot and Ana is left alone with Sabrina. Since Ana is a restoration specialist she is trying to bring the house back to its former glory. One day, some men who are cutting down a few dead trees in their yard show her that they came upon a buried, old ornate door. Ana thinks it's beautiful and she wants to restore it and put in the house. At night Ana hears ...more
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
Okay this one was pretty good! So there were 3 out of the 7 shorts that I really enjoyed. It had some creep going on, although, I had a moment where I was gonna change my mind and then it all worked out!

Happy Reading!

Mel 🖤🐶🐺🐾
Montzalee Wittmann
Jan 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Oak Avenue by Brandi Reeds is a scary haunting of a small family that buys and old house in the husband's home town. All the small town people know the husband but seem to despise the wife for being an outsider. The longer they stay there, the stranger the husband gets...The house also has a mind of it's own too! Creepy!
Stephanie ((Strazzybooks))
I listened to this while cleaning and walking the dog. It was a quick listen, but it just didn't work well as a short story. I thought the beginning had promise and it seemed like I was getting into a good ghost story, but not much was fleshed out and it ended up feeling jumbled and boring.
Juli
Oct 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Ana Clementine's husband buys an old victorian house in his hometown. He's dreamed of living in the house since he was just a boy. He even paid more than asking price for the run-down house. Ana moves in with her young daughter, and starts trying to make the old house a home. Strange things start happening almost immediately....and Ana realizes the old house harbors dark secrets.

Oak Avenue is the final story in the Amazon/Audible Dark Corners Collection....an anthology of seven darkly emotional
Cindy
Sep 30, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018, oct-2018
I have to say this was a creepy good story! It was short and I read it in one sitting. Although I liked the writing, I felt as if I wanted to know more of what was going on. And the ending was basically a cliff hanger. It really needed to be wrapped up a little more instead of leaving me with unanswered questions.
Lilyn G. | Sci-Fi & Scary
This is quite possibly the best of the lot - and one of the few that I would actually put in the 'horror' section. It's giving nothing away if you read the synopsis to tell you this is a ghost story of sorts. A good, creepy one, that will send a shiver up your spine. There was a lot I appreciated about Oak Avenue. The atmosphere sets almost immediately. The way the author balances the joys of having a small child against the evil creeping in. The way she can envision the house. It's all very lov ...more
Blair
Anastasia's husband, Edison, has just bought an old house in his home town. 'The Churchill house' is a place he's always dreamed of owning, and Anastasia, a restoration expert, is trying to see the dilapidated interior as an exciting project. But she feels lonely: the people of the town are unwelcoming, and at the beginning of the story we find her struggling to get taken seriously by a tree surgeon who won't trust 'Eddie's wife' to make decisions about the property. Then there's the weirdness t ...more
Amy
Oct 24, 2018 rated it liked it
Creepy, atmospheric short story about a not-haunted house and the people who move there. Lots of weird, chilling moments. This could be revised and expanded to a novel with much success, I think; though perhaps the author wants it ending just like it did. I didn't HATE the ending but it could definitely be expanded upon.

Also, I am just not a fan of children and the baby was way too prominent in this. She wasn't REALLY necessary to the story except in one part (view spoiler)
Oct 08, 2018 rated it did not like it
I hated this story. I can't stand stories where the author relies on people being cruel and/or mysoginistic to the protagonist in order to create emotional tension. I want to be frightened, not angry!
Andrea Trenary
Oct 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Audio book.
Probably the best one of this series I've listened to so far, enjoyed it.
Oct 01, 2018 rated it liked it
Decently creepy haunted house short. Interesting look into the inequality of regard given to men and women in these types of scenarios - woman being dismissed as hysterical comes standard. The ending leaves something to be desired, though I'd be hard pressed to say exactly what.
LeAnna
Oct 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was really creepy and good, but the ending was kind of a bummer.
-Ok, so the ending of this really stayed with me and I figured out what actually makes this story scary. (view spoiler)
Dalene
Oct 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The other books in the Dark Corners collection are okay. Nothing really great. But this one was different. I want to see this book be expanded into a full length novel.
Marie
Dec 25, 2018 rated it liked it
3,5/5
This was very entertaining, but I did find the characters quite frustrating, and the ending too rushed.
Kia
Nov 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-of-2018
I read this short story on Amazon Prime in the Dark Corners collection. This was by far my favorite story in the collection, and also the one that is most "traditionally" horror, very much a haunted house story with all the trappings of such. It was unsettling to see the way everyone tried to sweep history under the rug and convince Ana everything was just in her head, and the changes in her husband throughout the story are deeply frightening. My only complaint would be the ending, because it re ...more
Kirsty
Feb 09, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: short-stories
I want the time back that I spent reading this. It was paint-by-numbers writing and very frustrating to read. The husband is an arse (we’re meant to think he’s suddenly changed after they move into this house, and we’re told his violence towards his wife - which is totally played down, by the way - is out of character, but we don’t SEE his character before that so it doesn’t seem like he’s changed at all). The wife is an idiot who cries all the time. There are so many dropped plot threads: what ...more
Beth
Oct 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
are u a scary story halloween fan?

Oh my goodness, what a great idea ...from the 7 books the ones I did enjoy the best were "The Sleep Tight Motel" 1st & "Hannah-Beast" 2nd, if you know anything about Beth... I love mysteries ...but I don't really enjoy the scary parts. I love parts of Halloween. but the happy scary part. I think my understanding of these stories were meant to be short and quick ... maybe to get you hooked to read more from the author of you so desire?!
Michelle Deerwester-Dalrymple
Part of an Amazon promo for those with Amazon prime, and I really enjoyed it! This is a neat twist on the haunted house story, where people can mislead one into believing something that is not true. It also has a short spurt of gaslighting to show how that can contribute to the horror genre. A great, short Halloween read!
Sue Ann
Sep 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Left Wondering.....

I have been taking advantage of the Amazon Prime offerings and came across this book. I had previously read Trespassing by this author and enjoyed it. Although a short read, I found Oak Avenue to be well written and kept me reading. I can't help but wonder if there is more of this story to come. All in all, glad I took the time to read this one.
Fatimah Gunn
Sep 30, 2018 rated it liked it
Creepy and Frustrating

This book could have definitely been longer. A lot is unexplained and I truly feel sorry for Anna and her baby. The husband was a jerk and it seemed like the whole town was hiding a secret that was never shared with the reader. The ending really did not complete the story and it felt like a cliffhanger.
Zane
Dec 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fascinating!

A wonderful ghost story. Just the right amount of scares and suspense. The ending was an unexpected surprise. Give this book a try.
Mehsi
A spooky house, a mystery that should have stayed buried, and creepy going-ons.

I spotted a review for this book on Twitter, and I was immediately intrigued by the book. I am always on the look-out for new horror books, especially if they are about haunted houses!

This one is just a short story, but the author sure did their best on writing it and completing the story in just those pages (though there was an ending, oh my).

This one is about a girl who has moved in to a giant ass home and plannin
Yolanda Sfetsos
Apr 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle, short-story, ghost
Okay, this is the seventh (and last) Dark Corners Collection short story I've read. And I'm very happy to say that I really enjoyed it. 😊

Before this one, out of the seven stories, I'd only liked two: The Sleep Tight Motel and Hannah-Beast. The other four weren't that great, and certainly weren't the kind of dark I was expecting.

Anyway, let's talk about this one.

Ana Clementine, her husband (Edison) and daughter (Sabrina) have moved back to Edison's hometown. The couple purchased a Victorian house
Katie Pagan
On the whole, this was yet another deliciously creepy chapter in Amazon Original Stories' Dark Corners collection. I love me a good ol' fashioned haunted house, and that's what you'll get in this story, complete with the usual ingredients: the run-down historic home with a malevolent past, the isolated young wife and mother dismissed as hysterical, the dismissive husband with a sinister side, the clannish small town jealously guarding its old secrets. On the whole, it was a little formulaic, but ...more
Kevin Lintner
Dec 14, 2018 rated it it was ok
Doors Are Not Scary...

Remember when Monty Python released their "Contractual Obligation" Album back in 1980? No? Well, it was nearly 40 years ago, so hear with me. No one in Python really wanted to do another record, but they were required to do so under a contract with Chrysalis Records. "Oak Avenue" feels like it was something Ms. Reeds was either required to do or was something she promised to do and then forgot about until a day before the due date. While Monty Python's release was brilliant
Heather
Oct 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
The oddities happening in the old house Ana and Eddie have moved into build up very quickly and feel a little sudden. That said, they’re believably dark and sinister once they get started.

I found part of this story depressing and hard to read. Ana’s alone in this new town, no one likes her except for a man it’ll ruin her reputation to be seen with, her in-laws have no interest in her, and even the guy digging up the dead trees on the property insists he’ll only take direction from her husband. R
Terry
A great read.

Oak Avenue is definitely the best story in the Dark Corners collection. Took me a minute to get into it, but once I did I was fully on board. I pictured this in my mind like one of those classic haunted house movies like The Uninvited. Ana is a newbie in a small close knit community where everybody looks at her strangely and refers to her as Eddie’s wife. She’s alone with a baby and strange stuff is happening in her house, it’s the perfect recipe for a chilling read. I thought the
Justin
Jan 19, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: horror, short-stories
Oak Avenue is a haunted house/ghost story in the Dark Corners Collection. It follows a young mother, Ana, and her husband who move back to his hometown in an old Victorian in hopes to renovate it. But while they begin to live there, odd things start happening to her and her family. It's a pretty standard premise in this subgenre, and unfortunately not too memorable. The writing was fine, and I wanted to find out the mystery behind the house. The author builds the suspense, and isolates Ana to th ...more
Beverly
Nov 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
By far the best of the Dark Corners short stories so far...I only have 2 more in the collection to read. This is just really a classic ghost story. A young couple with a baby moves into a new (to them) home in the husband's old home town. His parents live almost next door and he is away for work throughout the week and only comes home on the weekends. The wife is anxious to return the house to its previous Victorian grandeur. When her tree trimmers find an exquisite door buried in the yard under ...more
  • Hannah-Beast
  • The Sleep Tight Motel
  • Miao Dao
  • The Remedy
  • There's a Giant Trapdoor Spider Under Your Bed
  • At the Bottom of New Lake (Warmer collection)
  • The Hillside (Warmer collection)
  • Everybody Loves Kamau! (The Real Thing collection)
  • Boca Raton
  • Ghost: 100 Stories to Read with the Lights On
  • The Tangled Woods
  • Cellmates (Southside collection)
  • Herbs for the Home Medicine Chest
  • Dark Screams: Volume Five
  • Payback (Southside collection)
  • The Summoning
  • Fireside Gothic
  • A Museum Adventure (Library Mouse #4)

Dark Corners Collection (8 books)
  • Hannah-Beast