Start by marking “In Numina (Stories of Togas Daggers and Magic, #2)” as Want to Read:
In Numina (Stories of Togas Daggers and Magic, #2)

In Numina

(Stories of Togas, Daggers, and Magic #2)

This is the second story of Togas, daggers, and Magic – for lovers of Ancient Rome, Hardboiled detectives, and Urban Fantasy.
A rich landlord finds tenants are abandoning his apartment buildings, spouting tales of horrific events and whispering that the old gods - the numina - came alive and cursed the buildings.
Enter Felix, a professional fox. Dressed in a toga and armed w
Published September 1st 2018 by Purple Toga Publications

To ask other readers questions about In Numina, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In Numina

Shalini
Sep 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Welcome to Egretia, a fantastical land created by the imagination of author Assaph Mehr, based on his love for all things which bespoke of ancient Rome including the Asterix comics. His love and his passion for Rome was so evident in the prose that he could show me the harsh and vivid tapestry of those times including the magic and the gods.

Enter Felix, an investigator extraordinaire who had some magical talents remaining from his days of learning. The story had him being called to investigate t
Jane Jago
Aug 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Felix the Fox. Investigator, magician, lover, compulsive payer of debts.

A case of cursed buildings pulls Felix into dangerous waters, and we are kept on our toes from the first page to the last. Will our hero prevail? Or will his enemies come out on top?

This fascinating tale from ‘not Rome’ mixes whodunnit, with magic, with an elusive love story.

Highly recommended.
Assaph Mehr
Aug 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Having caught the bug of writing (and it is a kind of illness) and seen Murder In Absentia receive a modicum of success, there was nothing left for me to do but write a new Felix adventure. This time, I took pleasure in researching witchcraft and curses in the ancient world, as well as using (and abusing) Cicero’s courtroom oratory for a dramatic climax.

If you like any two out of the three passions behind this book – Ancient Rome, Dark Fantasy, and Murder Mystery – give this book a shot. I trust
Jacqueline Patterson
Aug 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Unique twist of history and magic that left me wanting more. Mr. Mehr understands the Roman world and mindset, and so creates depth and believability to this fictional world. Recommended for anyone who enjoys Roman fiction, mysteries, and fantasy. (That's probably you, so read it!)
Leo McBride
Jan 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Well, goshdarn it. You know that moment when you read an author new to you and they absolutely hook you from beginning to end and you close the book and say to yourself "Hey, I've got a new favourite author"? This book was that moment for me.

Assaph Mehr tells a story of mystery and magic in ancient Rome. Think Jim Butcher's Dresden Files taken back a couple of millenia. Felix the Fox, a skullduggerous scallywag who alternates between being a troubleshooter and getting into trouble with women, i
N.B. Williams
Aug 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A mysterious romp through the ancient cobbled streets of Egretia, a city modeled after the fascinating and multi-faceted historical city of Rome, In Numina provides readers a bit of everything — chills, thrills, mystery, and romance.

Written from the perspective of Felix the Fox, the tale's erstwhile protagonist, this story is packed full of intrigue interspersed with fascinating details pulled from the underbelly of Rome itself.

I found myself immersed in the workings of Felix's cunning thought
Anais Chartschenko
Aug 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I am a huge fan of the first Felix book, Murder in Absentia, so I am beyond excited that In Numina is just as wonderful a book. It is a fantasy. It is a detective story. It is a historical. I love all three of those genres, but the mix of them has proven to be one of my favourite blends of all. Rome (the basis of his imaginary Egretia) is endlessly fascinating, and the true to life details Mehr adds to the story sent me off in happy research spirals. I spent afternoons reading about how Romans c ...more
Eric
Sep 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A rich Senator is losing tenants to some supernatural horror.
Who's he gonna call?
Felix the Fox supernatural murders investigated, unspeakable horrors removed, and strange magic investigated.

Ok, but seriously. This is the second book in the Stories of Togas, Daggers, and Magic series staring Felix. Now you don’t need to read the first to understand or get this one, and to some degree this one will not spoil the first, beyond knowing that Felix lives to be in book 2.

Assaph makes this alternative
Stephanie Barr
Sep 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Like to immerse yourself in an ancient culture? Like to solve mysteries? Like to dabble with the occult and dream about magic? Now you can do all that and more in a single novel. Pretty (and capable) women, fortunes in the balance, dark magic, a sleuth with a troubled past and contacts throughout the darkest parts of a simulated Rome, crushed up with curses, a repentant crazy genius and a stalwart guard and you have In Numina. Do brush up on your French or Spanish and it might help with the weal ...more
Karen
Dec 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
I have not read the first volume in this series, Murder in Absentia, and it was not necessary to have done so to enjoy the second one. This book's strengths are world building and the seamless integration of the world into the mystery plot. I also got the sense that the characters are becoming more well-rounded as the series progresses.

My knowledge of Roman culture is superficial, and so I found the world of Egretia to be fascinating, from the Roman Numerals that number the chapters, to the spo
E.M. Swift-Hook
Sep 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Egretia Revisited

’The view shifted to the open seas, dazzling as the westering sun reflected on far-off white-capped waves.’

Felix the Fox is a private investigator in Egretia - an alternative Ancient Rome where magic is real. He works as a sort of PI dealing with cases which need his special ability to handle magic, although he is not fully trained in the arts. This time he is asked to discover the cause of horrific, body-parts-left-lying-around hauntings in the insulae belonging to Valerius Fla
Rosie Chapel
Aug 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Assaph Mehr’s ‘Murder in Absentia’ is one of my all-time favourite books, so I was rapt when I discovered Felix was going to make another appearance. ‘In Numina’ is an outstanding tale of murder, ghosts and magic, cleverly woven through a story of greed, corruption, and an all-consuming desire for power. Felix is at his cunning best as he attempts to unravel the mystery surrounding several horrific deaths, and rumours that ancient gods are involved.
The intricacies of life in Egretia are a wonde
Taylor Watkins
Nov 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: to-read-bbn
In Numina by author Assaph Mehr is a thrilling, magical mystery set in a time and place very similar to Ancient Rome. It is the second book in the "Stories of Togas, Daggers, and Magic" series, but a reader does not have to read the books chronologically in order for the novel to make sense. Mr. Mehr approached me with a .epub file of In Numina for free in exchange for an honest review.

See my full review complete with a list of pros and cons on my book review blog, Bitty Book Nook: https://bitty
V. Castro
Jan 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed the first book in this series (Murder in Absentia) so when the second book was announced there was no way I was not going to read it. It did not disappoint!
As a lover of history it's nice to find a series that takes place in a time and place I particularly find interesting. But Felix is a detective solving his mysteries of dark magia with an unlikely team of sidekicks. These characters inject humour and depth to this series (more Abraxus, please ;)).
It's a fun mystery with all
Fuchsia Carter
Sep 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Once again I have been drawn into the world Of Felix the Fox and had no desire to come back. As second in this series this it starts strong and finishes on a high that is hard to explain. You will be drawn into murder, mystery and magic and with every twist and turn you will wonder if you really are as good as you think at solving murders. I will tell you now the answer is no ! Please leave that to Felix.

Read this book. You will not be disappointed.
Wouter
Oct 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I have been looking forward to the second instalment of the Felix the Fox mysteries and I certainly have not been disappointed. Assaph Mehr manages to create a world where ancient Roman culture and magic sit comfortably side by side, a blend that spices up the narrative rather than distracting from it. Can’t wait for the third book in this series.
Hilary Anderson
Aug 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Fascinating

Incredibly well researched but with engaging characters and interesting storylines. The exposition can be a little dry in places but small price to pay for these well thought out crime stories set in a not quite Roman Empire.
Denise Ziegler
Sep 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this one probably more than the first! Honestly, I like Felix's friend Araxus. I don't think he's as crazy as Felix makes him out to be.........
Jonathan Maas
Nov 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
More Togas, More Daggers, More Magic

Call it Gore Vidal meets George RR Martin meets hardboiled detective fiction.

Every time I read Assaph Mehr, I am reminded of Gore Vidal though.

It might be a personal thing - my first foray into Vidal's world was Julian, and Mehr's work reminds me of this. In short, both Mehr and Vidal put you into an all-encompassing world, where the modern rules do not necessarily apply.

This is not pure Historical Fiction though. There are a few speeches and translated
Kate Butterworth
Ester
Sep 10, 2018
Mark Dow
Oct 31, 2018
I have always been fascinated by ancient Rome, from the time I was in primary school and first got my hands on Asterix. This exacerbated when my parents took me on a trip to Rome and Italy – I whinged horribly when they dragged me to “yet another church with baby angels on the ceiling”, yet was happy to skip all day around ancient ruins and museums for Etruscan art.

A few years ago I randomly picke

Stories of Togas, Daggers, and Magic (2 books)
  • Murder In Absentia (Stories of Togas Daggers and Magic, #1)