Start by marking “Nejsem mrtvá (Tajemství detektiva Jude Fontaineové #1)” as Want to Read:
Nejsem mrtvá (Tajemství detektiva Jude Fontaineové #1)

Nejsem mrtvá

(Detective Jude Fontaine Mysteries #1)

4.20  ·  Rating details ·  18,900 ratings  ·  1,409 reviews
Detektivka oddělení vražd Jude strávila tři roky zavřená v temné podzemní cele. Za tu dobu se naučila dokonale číst ve svém sadistickém vězniteli, takže se jí nakonec podařilo uprchnout. Jenomže návrat do normálního světa je mnohem těžší, než si Jude představovala – její přítel si během těch tří let našel novou ženu, kolegové z policejního sboru jí nevěří a všechny ostatní ...more
Published 2018 by Ikar (first published June 21st 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Nejsem mrtvá, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Mei
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Asteropê There's a #2 book coming out this year -
The Body Counter (Detective Jude Fontaine Mysteries #2) https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3...

·  18,900 ratings  ·  1,409 reviews

Start your review of Nejsem mrtvá (Tajemství detektiva Jude Fontaineové #1)
Maxine (Booklover Catlady)
A must-read novel of 2016!

I was totally smitten by this thrilling novel that had such a unique angle on your average crime/thriller. I have never written anything by Anne Frasier before but that clearly is where my life has been lacking, she is a very skilled author that managed to engage me fully as a reader. This is a book that I highly recommend for anybody's to-read list!

Detective Jude Fontaine is the star of this novel. A Detective who has been abducted, held prisoner, subjected to horrific mental and physical
Robin Hobb
Jan 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
And with January and 2018, I've decided that it's time for me to refresh my reading experiences in genres not my own!

So, I hied me to my local library, a Timberland Library in Yelm, and checked out a handful of books. I opened this one last night, and finished it very early this morning. It's a headlong read, with a very unusual POV character.

YOu know how much I hate spoilers, so I won't give away more than the book does on the back jacket or indeed within the first pages.

Jude Font
Amina
Jul 04, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Warning: The title is misleading, there is no body reading in this book..

Jude is a homicide detective who got kidnapped and kept in small basement cell for three years with only her persecuter for contact, something that did enhance her senses and her ability to read people, dead or alive (you won't see much of that). One day, during a city blackout, she manages to escape.. Her life isn't the same anymore.. She makes it back to the homicide department and starts working on a case tha
Lisa
Oct 22, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: did-not-like
I am afraid I may be in the minority here but The Body Reader by Anne Frasier did absolutely nothing for me it started okay & got my interest, but I found the plot a bit hard to believe she is held captive raped tortured doesn't know who she is, turns up at the Boston P.D where she used to work dishevelled broken bones etc then further on she has her full memory back then starts her job as nothing has happened.

Meh it was just a read nothing to get excited about sorry guys.
Krystin Rachel
The only thing I didn't really like about this book was the title because it makes me think of this:

I don't know why I have that mental association, but it's too late to move passed it. I can't stop thinking about it. The Body Reader. See, now you have it too!

So, with that out of the way, I have to say I really liked this. It's dark. It's interesting. There are so many layers to the story, to the mystery. It's never what you think it is. I've neve
☘Misericordia☘ ~ The Serendipity Aegis ~  ⚡ϟ⚡ϟ⚡⛈ ✺❂❤❣
Umm, an engaging read.
Q:
“There are three things I’ve seen once in my life,” Uriah said, squinting against the sunlight. “Thick fog that stopped at my knees and swirled in circles when I kicked it, a rainbow that ended in a street right in front of me, and a rabbit dance. You ever heard of a rabbit dance?”
“No.”
“It happens in the middle of the night. Hundreds of rabbits rendezvous in a clearing, and they kind of dance in the moonlight. I can’t describe it, but it’s bizarre
CD {Boulder Blvd}
I really enjoyed this one. I spent the day reading it and didn't want to put it down.

This story starts out strong with Jude making an escape after 3 years of being held captive to a sadistic criminal. I was immediately pulled into the story and the strong female character of Jude. After 3 years of captivity she is not your typical heroine, but she shows strength and grit as she returns to a semblance of normal life.

In her before captivity life she was a detective in the h
Montzalee Wittmann
The Body Reader by Anne Frasier is quite a tense book! From the very beginning it had me on edge and it didn't let up until the end! Wow, talk about suspense! I will definitely have to follow if this becomes a series....loved it.
Narration was perfect too!
Sandy
This is a story that grabs your attention from the get-go.
Jude Fontaine used to be an easy going homicide detective. That was before she was abducted & endured 3 years of abuse at the hands of a madman. So when she finally escapes & gets her old job back, it should be all good, right? Well…..

This fast paced police procedural is not for the squeamish. We follow Jude & her partner Uriah Ashby as they investigate the fallout from depravity run amok. It’s a tough job on
Efflorescence
Jul 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, netgalley
Thanks to NetGalley and Thomas & Mercer for providing the ARC in exchange for an honest review.

For me, this book was not outstanding, but still a great read.
I have trouble to understand why so many people loved this book so much, don't get me wrong, I still enjoyed reading this, it was suspenseful, a bit spooky and really entertaining, but maybe I'm not so much into thrillers and crime books in general to really see the difference compared to other books of that genre.
Shandra
Jun 14, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Actual rating: 2.5 I-Wanted-More stars.

Ahhh the premise is sooooo good. But alas, I was left wanting more. I feel like this was a starter kit for what could've been a fantastic novel. There were too many things not hashed out well enough. Too many things that had they been elaborated on, would've made much more sense.
Danielle (The Blonde Likes Books)
The Body Reader follows our main character, Jude, as she escapes from a cell where she's been held captive for the last 3+ years. Prior to being abducted, she was a detective on her local police force, and after a few months of rehab, she returns to work. Her new partner Uriah isn't thrilled. He doesn't trust that she's ready to be back working on murder cases after such a short time being back in "the real world". Despite his protests, they are partnered, and begin working a case regarding a st ...more
Kira
Jun 09, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

I liked this even more the second time despite remembering how it ended. Jude was kidnapped and held captive in horrid conditions for 3 years. When she finally escapes she isn't what anyone expected. Clearly she wasn't normal. She was emotionally repressed with good reason. The most alarming thing about her was how independent and capable she was. I liked being inside her head. Her behavior was weird but it made sense.

Uriah was a great partner for Jude. They both
Mei
May 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: contemporary
This is plain thriller/crime mystery! There’s no romance here!

But I liked it so very, very much!

The story is very interesting and I felt for both Jude and Uriah! Maybe a little bit more for Jude! ;)

She was obviously traumatized, but she was extremely aware of her status. That’s the best things here. Even if nobody believe that she’s able to work she still manage to convince them!

She’s totally cold, and deeply aware of that. She knows that she ought to overcom
CL
Jun 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Anne Frasier has become one of my favorite authors after reading this book. Love this character and I cannot wait to read more stories about her. Det Jude Fontaine has been kept captive for 3 years with no contact except the brutal man who has abused and tortured her. Luck and chance allows her to escape but the life that was all that kept her going through her ordeal is no more. Her boyfriend has moved on, her job is no longer and to top it all off she has become the focus of the media after re ...more
Snow
Apr 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley

Plot:

Detective Jude Fontaine was held prisoner by a sadistic captor for 3 years. She was kept in an underground cell by a man who had taken everything from her until all she had left was him. Jude knew every line on his face, every scar on his skin, every meaning behind every movement and what would follow. She learned how to read her captor and it kept her alive.

With Jude’s experience of hell, she learned something: Words lie but body language does not. Everything Jude e
Jacquelyn Simon
2.5/5 stars
Unfortunately I was disappointed by this book. 😭 I had such high hopes!

My issue with the writing in this book was that it wasn’t detailed enough for me. While reading, I felt like there was a distance between the reader and the MC.
I was hoping this book would dive deep into the mind of a woman going through trauma, but using the skill of body reading to help solve cases. That’s pretty much what the book guaranteed... but instead, Jude (the MC) didn’t “read” bodies very ofte
Ed
Oct 06, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Good premise goes sideways into introspective inaction.
D.B. Reynolds
Oct 08, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A psychologically troubling and gruesome story, with an unlikely conspiracy that the author ties up in a bow. But the book is nonetheless an excellent suspense tale with very likable main characters.
✨Susan✨
3.5 stars. Judes mother was accidentally shot by her brother when she was a child, or though the story goes? As soon as she can she departs the family home, immediately becomes estranged from her father and brother and dives into a job with the police department. Years later when her life is going well with a boyfriend and a great detective job with the police department, she is abducted and held for three years in the dark. While she only has contact with one human being she learns how to read ...more
Yellagirlgc
I received a copy from the publisher and NetGalley for an honest review.

Jude Fontaine is a homicide detective who was abducted and tortured for three years. When the opportunity to escape was presented she took it. Her entire life was changed in the basement she was held in. After her escape she returns to homicide and while trying to find out what happened to her and who did it she investigates the murder of a teenaged girl.
Jude is a very strong woman and I was immediately drawn into her
Yzabel Ginsberg
[I received a copy of this book through NetGalley, in exchange for an honest review.]

For three years, Detective Jude Fontaine was kept under lock, in the dark, abused and malnourished, at the hands of her unknown abductor. With no contact with any other human being than that man, her survival reflexes made her learn to "read" him, in order to stay alive. After she seizes an opportunity to escape, she realises she has retained this ability to "read" other people, booth the living and the dead: e
Verushka
May 18, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
What is this about?: Jude and her return to normal life, whatever that is, after years in captivity. Slowly, Frasier unfurls Jude's past, while setting her on the path for her future, post captivity.

What else is this about?: Jude is set on trying to find out why she was picked and kept hostage, and realises that ties into a case of missing girls she had only just begun to investigate. Her "body reader" talent is less a part of this than the title would lead you to believe.

First, I had high h/>What
Myriam
Oct 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I downloaded this randomly at 9pm, read the first couple of pages and immediately put it down because I knew I wouldn't get none of my evening routine done if I kept reading. Then I took it to bed with me and finished it at 2am because I COULD NOT PUT IT DOWN.

I think the best way to talk about this book is to tell you all the things it's not to begin with: It' is absolutely not graphic about Jude's time in captivity but it also doesn't play coy about the things she went through. No t
Trisha
May 30, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bought-kindle
“Once you gave up and accepted your fate, existence became tolerable because every day wasn’t a reset of a nightmare that wouldn’t end.

This was an interesting beginning to a series. We are introduced to Jude as she rescues herself - after having been abducted and held for 3 years. The world moved on, her loved ones moved on - even her fellow co-workers, homicide detectives, moved on.

Jude is bound and determined, now that she's back, to get back to life. She wants her job back and her purpo
Books on Stereo
Another by-the-numbers crime procedural featuring dull/lifeless characters and an uninspired plot. Skip!
Kenya Wright
Jun 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dark and creepy just how I like it.
☕️Kimberly
Jul 02, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Body Reader by Anne Frasier delivers a standalone suspense thriller that pulls you in from the very first pages. Frasier introduces us to Detective Jude Fontaine on the night she escapes captivity from an underground cell that held her for three years. The tale that unfolds was riveting as she and her new partner Homicide Detective Uriah Ashby work a case involving missing woman.

The Body Reader offered several threads beginning with the impact the past three years have had on Jud
Elizabeth
Jun 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Body Reader by Anne Frasier
For three years, Detective Jude Fontaine was kept from the outside world. Held in an underground cell, her only contact was with her sadistic captor, and reading his face was her entire existence. Learning his every line, every movement, and every flicker of thought is what kept her alive.

After her experience with isolation and torture, she is left with a fierce desire for justice—and a heightened ability to interpret the body language of both the living and the dead. Despite colleagues’ doubts about he
Linda Strong
Detective Jude Fontaine learned the hard way how to read facial expressions and body language. She was abducted and then held in an underground cell with no windows, no sound, no interaction with anyone except the monster that kidnapped her. She’s been beaten and tortured and raped … and she’s learned how to survive.

She manages to escape, killing her abductor. Despite everyone’s doubts about her mental state, she eventually returns to her job in Homicide. Her new partner, Detective U
Readers Unbound: The Body Reader 11 13 Jul 28, 2019 01:19PM

• Cut and Run
  • Don't Even Breathe
  • Thin Air (Jessica Shaw #1)
  • The Dark Bones (A Dark Lure, #2)
  • Save Your Breath (Morgan Dane #6)
  • In the Darkness (Zoe Bentley Mystery, #2)
  • Lying Next to Me
  • A Merciful Promise (Mercy Kilpatrick, #6)
  • Hide and Seek (Criminal Profiler #1)
  • Dead Center (The Rookie Club #1)
  • Exhume (Dr. Schwartzman, #1)
  • Expire (Dr. Schwartzman #4)
  • The Vanishing Season (The Collector, #4)
  • Forgotten Bones (Dead Remaining #1)
  • I See You (Criminal Profiler, #2)
  • I Know Everything
  • Don't Lie to Me (Eva Rae Thomas Mystery #1)
  • Buried Deep (Jessie Cole, #4)
Anne Frasier is a New York Times and USA Today bestselling author. The Body Reader received the 2017 THRILLER AWARD for Best Paperback Original from International Thriller Writers. Other honors include a RITA for romantic suspense and a Daphne du Maurier Award for paranormal romance. Her memoir The Orchard was an O, The Oprah Magazine Fall Pick; a One Book, One Community read; a B+ review in Enter ...more

Detective Jude Fontaine Mysteries (3 books)
  • The Body Counter (Detective Jude Fontaine Mysteries, #2)
  • The Body Keeper (Detective Jude Fontaine Mysteries #3)
“I wonder how much of a person is simply fabricated by others,” she said. “And think about this: None of us see the same person in the exact same way. We bring ourselves into the equation. So an individual is never really an individual.” “This might be a little too deep for a hangover. Are you saying we’re not only a product of our environment; we’re also informed by accurate and inaccurate observations by others? That makes my head hurt even more.” “One thing I know, before my capture I saw myself through everybody else’s eyes, if that makes any sense. Every single person I engaged with throughout the day. I read their reaction to me and saw what they saw, accurate or inaccurate. That hasn’t happened since my escape. I don’t know if this new me is normal or abnormal, but that skewed reflection no longer exists. It should feel good, but it’s like something is gone.” You become the person he sees.” 3 likes
“the brain often rejected logic in favor of desire. “Have” 1 likes