Start by marking “The Devil to Pay (Shayne Davies, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Devil to Pay (Shayne Davies, #1)

The Devil to Pay

(Shayne Davies #1)

When it comes to talented new recruits at the Federal Underworld Agency, Nora Jacobs is only half the story

The Devil to Pay is the first book in Jackie Mays companion series to Nora Jacobs, set in the same urban fantasy Detroit, sharing several supporting characters (hello, Nick Gorgeous), but with a new main character, Shayne Davies. This series can be enjoyed on its
Published September 18th 2018 by Bluefields

Start your review of The Devil to Pay (Shayne Davies, #1)
Jenna “Meadow”  | The Book of Meadow
I didnt like this book as much as Jackie Mays other series of her character Nora Jacobs in the same world; Dont Rush Me and Dont Cheat Me. I felt like for this book May was trying too hard with the main character, Shayne Davies, to make her quirky and witty when she just became annoying.

Although there is a bit more action in this book, the secondary characters are not developed well. We meet a few similar characters from the other series and their personalities only come across if youve read
Lissa Hawley
Sep 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is beautiful chaos and I loved every second.

A heroine with sass and street smarts, and action that never stops. So highly recommended.
Alicia
Sep 19, 2018 rated it did not like it
Heather
Sep 19, 2018 rated it it was ok
What a joke

I don't think I've been this let down by a book I had high hopes for in quite a while. First off the main character talks to the reader like she know we are reading her story, it is EXTREMELY annoying! Second chapter 3 is a paragraph saying we had sex all night long but I'm not going to even write about that cause it would be like 100 pages long, ugh that is even worse then undetailed or fade to black sex. If you are going to do something like that why even write about a sexualy
Katyana
Jun 20, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, uf
There's a lot that could be fun in this series as it continues to play out, but something about this first book just wasn't clicking with me. I don't know if it was the general immaturity of the main character, or the way she made these logic leaps that seemed way out of left field and I just couldn't follow. I mean, to the point where I wondered if it was going to be revealed that she was psychic.

I think I was also miffed at the way other characters (I'm looking at you, Nick Gorgeous) treated
Kimi
Apr 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.5 Stars

Overall Rating ★★★★
Plot ★★★
Humor ★★★★
Characters & Character Development ★★★
Narration ★★★★

Story: This was a pretty good story although I felt that Shayne was extremely immature, jealous and not too bright for most of the time. I was disappointed that she still felt loyal to her family considering they treat her like absolute trash. She got better towards the end but for the most part, I found her self centered.

Narration: Chandra Skyye - She's alright
Ash
Sep 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Yuuuuuuuuus, Queen, I praise you.

UF. Paranormal. Comedic. MC is a fox shifter. I'm not going to say any more. I'm just telling you to read this. It's hysterical. It's clever. It's fast paced. It's everything you want in a Jackie May book.
Lola
DNF'd at 26%

I really like this author's Nora Roberts series, but I just couldn't get into this one. I even pushed through longer than I normally would as I want to read these series together and as this is a spin-off set in the same time I don't want to miss anything. Maybe I'll give it another try later as now I know what to expected, but I am afraid this series just isn't for me and I'll stick with the Nora Roberts series.

A few of the things I struggled is what the pace of the story, Shayne's
Brandy
Jan 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
I wasn't sure what to expect from this new spin off from the Nora Jacobs series, especially when it itself is so new, but I wasn't disappointed. I think I actually like Shayne more then Nora as a lead female.

She's plucky, mischievous, headstrong and resilient. Shayne is also, and most importantly, a smartass. She IS NOT a damsel in distress or a Mary Sue. I couldn't help but laugh out loud at her antics and quips.

The only part I'm unsure about is the talking directly to the reader narration.
Katrina
DNF at 26%
It really does not bode well for a book if I have no problem putting it down, have no desire in picking it up again and prefer to to re-read some of my favorites
Feminista
Oct 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
A pretty interesting and unusual character. Shayne Davies is not your typical heroine. She isn't the strongest or the most liked individual in this book, but she perseveres where others wouldn't.
Ty Nyrin
Oct 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Dont read this book unless youve read Nora Jacobs first. Book 1 of Shayne and book 2 of Nora take place simultaneously. When Nora is getting strangled by a fairy, Shayne is getting some from a sex glutton.
When Shayne tells Gorgeous that theres something brewing with the Huron River Pack he dismisses it, two days later he finds out she was right.
Shayne is the type of Underworlder that no one takes seriously. A Fox, or vixen if you want to get technical. She is actually living in her car and
Britan
Sep 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Good book

Loved this book. Shayne was a total bad as s who was smart and tough but got scared and wasn't immune to getting hurt. This book broke the 4th wall so if you don't like that it's not for you. The.story line was almost too fast paced. Sometimes the scene would change with no warning inbetween paragraphs. It made it seem like the book was flying. I am excited to see where this series is going to go from here.
April
Sep 18, 2018 rated it did not like it
Couldn't finish this book

Well I only made it to chapter five. The main characters dialogue is ridiculous and the way chapter three is a paragraph explaining why there isn't a chapter is idiotic. After Nora Jacob's which is great then to read this one it's very disappointing.
Jeanny
Sep 30, 2018 rated it did not like it
DNF Dont like the h. ...more
Kristina
Sep 24, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
This is a hard one to review for me. First of all, kudos to the author for writing a character that is absolutely nothing like her debut character, Nora, in the original series. This series happens in the same world and as far as I could tell fairly parallel time-wise to book one of Nora's series. Secondly, this book is well written and really funny. Shayne, the MC, is also the narrator and, at numerous points in the story, does the book version of breaking the fourth wall. Shayne is also, as ...more
Sadie Forsythe
This book tricked me. When it first started I groaned and wondered if I'd manage to finish it. I didn't have high hopes. I was annoyed that the main character broke the fourth wall to speak directly to the reader. I disliked that it seemed so focused on sex (though I appreciated that she was allowed to be sexual). I thought Shayne seemed too silly to relate to and I disliked that she was basically lying to everyone about actually working for the agency. It felt very child-like. As did the fact ...more
Rebecca French
Aug 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Well that was refreshing!!

Often with authors their stories have the same feel, no matter which characters are allowed out to play. Not so with Shayne Davies... I can only liken her foxy nature to a whirlwind.. on steroids.. after drinking lots of red cordial. I was DELIGHTED!

This book is just ever so much fun! It is light hearted, involved, action packed and just dips its toes into the shallowest end of the puddle that will be these characters.

I am totally bamboozled by Shaynes quirky nature,
Heather Gilbert
Dec 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
4th wall kind of lol funny

For once our MC is not the best, brightest, strongest or most bad butt thing around. Rather, shes crazy, funny, small and foxy... as in an actual fox. In a world of predators, shes submissive and easily prey. Those around her are far more dominant and aggressive - all she has is a mouth and a brain that fits pieces together a little too quickly. Its a combination that makes this paranormal fresh and inviting - theres nothing fated here nor some secret queen crap, just a
Nicole
Mar 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Love this so much, buying hard copies of books

I am so much in love with this foxy lady and her unique character voice! Serious girl crush. Shayne is EXACTLY the kind of fast-talking, anxiety-ridden, awkward-yet-sexy antihero that I want to be. Her relationships - from the hilarious banter with Nick Gorgeous, to her sassing off to her Mom, to the back-and-forth tennis match convos she has with Hellerman - are so convolutedly complicated, they are more fun to watch than the plot of demons trying
Liesa
Feb 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Yeeeeesssss! You won't regret reading this book.

I'm in love with this writing style! The humor is fantastic. Also, I love how Shayne's narrative voice occassionally pops up (to provide the reader information and context)-- and when it does, it's meta in a way writers and avid readers will 100% understand.

Also, can I ask, how did the Jackie May duo know I've read the Mercy Thompson series multiple times!?!?!?!?! They have their audience pegged, haha.

It's always a pleasure to find excellent
Ashley Marie
Interesting start

I enjoyed this book, devoured it as soon as I got the email stating Jackie May had a new release.. I love how we got to see an expanded version of the Nora Jacobs world but from a snarky, funny, crazy Shayne Davies. I laughed so much but I was hooked from the first chapter. I am excited to find out if Hillerman makes any more appearances in future books.. How that partnership is gonna work out with the attraction & & what happens with her love life.. I'm just excited to
jeliy
Aug 05, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Actual stars 1.5.

After reading the enjoyable series, Nora Jacobs, this book was very disappointing. However, the narration of the book was good.

The main character was annoying. The way the story was written in places was lame. This is the complete Chapter 3: "Yeah, sowe have sex for this entire chapter, but Im not going to write it all out, because 1) then Id have to put a shirtless guy on the cover, and 2) this chapter would be, like, a hundred pages long."
C.J Donais
Oct 20, 2018 rated it liked it
Funny

Okay first few chapters I was dying of laughter. The first one alone was the best, in a deadpool way. That being said, it was a bit slow for me after. If that same sense of humor was in the whole book, I would have given a better review. The Nora Roberts series is more intense and keeps my interest. Nick Gorgeous was a teaser, not like they really had any spark of love interest, and Shayne goes to pursue a guy, but no real relationship material has come to light.
Dawn Gee
Sep 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very good start to series

Shayne is interesting and much smarter than she lets everyone believe. There's some good humor but also awkward silliness. The action is fast paced and exciting. Some of the scenes with Brenner left me baffled. I really like the Detroit world that's built in this and Nora Jacob's world. I kind of like Nolan and Ben so not sure why Shayne seems to present them.
Linda Dolven
Feb 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
So much fun!

Love Shayne! She is hilariously adorable and doesnt take herself seriously at all. Shes so refreshing. Hilldebrand (if I wrote that correctly) is also super funny and badass. I hope we see her in future installments. And sweet Brenner is adorable and so trusting of Shayne despite everything hes experienced. Love seeing Nora Jacobs Underworld from another perspective. Cant wait for the next book :-)
Dana Williams
I really enjoyed this.

So someone tried to say this book was terrible because it wasn't like Norah Jacobs, of course it isn't , it's in the same "world" but all new character, some familiar but still. I enjoyed this new look on the underworld side of this universe Jackie May has created, I enjoyed Shayne and I really enjoy the complex workings of Brenner. I'm excited to see where his goes.
Hayley
Jan 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
From skimming a few reviews, it seems like the thing I loved is what other people hated. I really enjoyed the main character's attitude, her manner of speaking, fast thinking, and the breaking the fourth wall. I laughed out loud several times. I can definitely see how this is marmite though and in a different mood I might have hated it. Since I loved it though, I flew through this book. I really enjoyed the action sequences finding them fast-paced and maintaining my interest throughout.
Mrs Rachel
Jan 20, 2019 rated it liked it
Not sure

The style of writing in this is very different to the Nora Jacob series. I know its because Shaynes character is so different but I found this much harder to read and follow. The storyline was interesting with lots of twists and turns but I had to really concentrate to understand what was happening.
Although I loved the Nora Jacobs books, Im not sure I will be reading any more Shayne Davies stories.
Cindy
Feb 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fun and exciting

I was surprised that this story was related to Nora's in "Don't Cheat Me". Shayne is nothing like Nora though. She is telling the story and her personality shines throughout.

The fox shifter angle has some similarities to Mercy's story and is even remarked upon, but Shayne is a very different fox than Mercy. She is definitely crazier.

This is a fun and exciting story.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Awakened And Betrayed (The Lost Sentinel, #2)
  • The Lost and the Chosen (The Lost Sentinel, #1)
  • Found and Forged (The Lost Sentinel, #4)
  • The Marked and the Broken (The Lost Sentinel, #3)
  • Gypsy Rising (All the Pretty Monsters, #5)
  • Gypsy Freak (All The Pretty Monsters, #2)
  • Family and Honor (Jacky Leon #2)
  • Gypsy Moon (All The Pretty Monsters, #4)
  • Gypsy Origins (All The Pretty Monsters #3)
  • The Gladiator's Downfall (Age of the Andinna, #1)
  • The Warrior's Assault (Age of the Andinna #3)
  • Gypsy Blood (All The Pretty Monsters, #1)
  • April's Fools
  • Gypsy Truths (All the Pretty Monsters, #6)
  • Addie (Pack of Misfits #1)
  • The Avowed (Shadowed Wings, #2)
  • Destined Storm (Nephilim's Destiny, #4)
  • Destined Darkness (Nephilim's Destiny, #1)
Jackie May is a pseudonym for a husband and wife writing team. Josh and Kelly live outside Phoenix, Arizona with their four children and their cat, Mr. Darcy. Jackie May is their only daughter. (And she keeps asking for her cut of the profits since were using her name.) ...more

Shayne Davies (2 books)
  • Magic in Those Eyes (Shayne Davies, #2)

News & Interviews